Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Bluetooth/iPod integration for Phaetons?

Vehicles
      Black 2006 Phaeton V10 TDi, Black 2005 V10 TDi LWB, Laser Blue Golf 2.0 GT TDi
      09-24-2012 03:06 AM #1
      Hi everyone,

whilst browsing for a Bentley Bluetooth solution I came across this.

http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/dice-...r-p-36891.html

It looks VERY promising, but I have only had a cursory look at the specs and hook-up procedures.

Stu
      Member of Le Club 2P

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 V10 TDI Phaeton, 2010 Mercedes 350CLS
      09-24-2012 06:01 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by EnglishPhaeton View Post
      Hi everyone,

whilst browsing for a Bentley Bluetooth solution I came across this.

http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/dice-...r-p-36891.html

It looks VERY promising, but I have only had a cursory look at the specs and hook-up procedures.

Stu
      Stu,

That looks very promising indeed, it seems to connect in exactly the same way as the Solisto until that I have but with greatly expanded functionality.

Doubtless you'll be checking this out and I'm sure you'll keep us posted.

Cheers,
      S

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2004 Phaeton W12, 2004 Passat W8 4Motion 6MT, 2009 MB GL550, 2010 Audi Q5 3.2L, 2014 Audi S4
      09-25-2012 09:41 AM #3
      FYI, I had recently been researching this same subject... as I plan to integrate BT and an iPod into my "new" 2004 W12. I read through all the old posts, and also telephoned Christian at Enfig (very experienced integration shop in New Jersey, US)... he has contributed to the threads on this subject over the years. He could not recommend the Dice unit for this application, due to some less than positive experiences that he and his customers have had. Instead, he recommended a customized version of the Dension Gateway Lite BT that they offer with a connector/cable that will connect behind the Phaeton head unit (Dension model number GBL3AU2). For iPod integration, you need to add the iPod connection cable as an accessory (IPO5DC9)... this does not come with the GBL3AU2.

While I have been unable to find a Dension compatibility cross-reference list that shows this GBL3AU2 listed as compatible with a Phaeton, Christian assured me that this would work... and that he had personally installed this unit into Phaetons at his shop.

I already ordered and received both the GBL3AU2 and the IPO5DC9 from Enfig, and plan to install the GBL3AU2 behind the head unit and use the IPO5DC9 to run connectivity to my iPod, which I plan to keep in the storage box between the front seats.

Here are some reference links, and note the installation video (in a Audi A4) at the bottom of the Enfig site... gives a good idea of how the unit is install and how it functions:

http://www.dension.com/product/gateway-lite-bt-gbl3xxx

http://enfigcarstereo.com/DENSION_GBL3AU2.html

All the best,

Peter

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 VW P W12 LWB, 2006 VW T V8 OP5, 2008 smart FT i3 Cabrio
      09-25-2012 11:26 AM #4
      Thank you Pete and Stu for posting your research.

It would be nice if you continue posting as the research, purchasing, installation and end result come along.

I still seek the holy grail of not losing the CD changer when I enable iPod integration.

5. 09-27-2012 05:42 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by pdejong0 View Post
      FYI, I had recently been researching this same subject... as I plan to integrate BT and an iPod into my "new" 2004 W12. I read through all the old posts, and also telephoned Christian at Enfig (very experienced integration shop in New Jersey, US)... he has contributed to the threads on this subject over the years. He could not recommend the Dice unit for this application, due to some less than positive experiences that he and his customers have had. Instead, he recommended a customized version of the Dension Gateway Lite BT that they offer with a connector/cable that will connect behind the Phaeton head unit (Dension model number GBL3AU2). For iPod integration, you need to add the iPod connection cable as an accessory (IPO5DC9)... this does not come with the GBL3AU2.

While I have been unable to find a Dension compatibility cross-reference list that shows this GBL3AU2 listed as compatible with a Phaeton, Christian assured me that this would work... and that he had personally installed this unit into Phaetons at his shop.

I already ordered and received both the GBL3AU2 and the IPO5DC9 from Enfig, and plan to install the GBL3AU2 behind the head unit and use the IPO5DC9 to run connectivity to my iPod, which I plan to keep in the storage box between the front seats.

Here are some reference links, and note the installation video (in a Audi A4) at the bottom of the Enfig site... gives a good idea of how the unit is install and how it functions:

http://www.dension.com/product/gateway-lite-bt-gbl3xxx

http://enfigcarstereo.com/DENSION_GBL3AU2.html

All the best,

Peter
      I'd love to hear a follow up when you get this thing installed.

I spoke to Christian a few times and he blew me off, but if it works he can still have my money.

6. Former Advertiser
      Vehicles
      2001 GTI VR6
      10-09-2012 09:35 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by j3w View Post
      I'd love to hear a follow up when you get this thing installed.

I spoke to Christian a few times and he blew me off, but if it works he can still have my money.
      I'm sorry if you feel I have blown you off. The customer above ordered the unit and connected it behind the radio. (that's the only reason I can think that you think I blew you off) I still do not have a custom adapter to connect in the glove box. I don't know who you are but I speak to a bunch of phaeton owners. Please call me up with any concerns.

7. Former Advertiser
      Vehicles
      2001 GTI VR6
      10-09-2012 09:36 PM #8
      If anyone is local to me and wants to bring in their car for an install please call me. 201-490-5015

8. 10-09-2012 09:54 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Christian@enfig View Post
      I'm sorry if you feel I have blown you off. The customer above ordered the unit and connected it behind the radio. (that's the only reason I can think that you think I blew you off) I still do not have a custom adapter to connect in the glove box. I don't know who you are but I speak to a bunch of phaeton owners. Please call me up with any concerns.
      I'm not worried about it, communicating about these things can be a hassle, I understand that.

Let me bottom line it for you:

1. I have money.
      2. I want iPod in my Phaeton.
      3. Can you make this happen? If so please see no. 1.

9. Former Advertiser
      Vehicles
      2001 GTI VR6
      10-09-2012 10:35 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by j3w View Post
      I'm not worried about it, communicating about these things can be a hassle, I understand that.

Let me bottom line it for you:

1. I have money.
      2. I want iPod in my Phaeton.
      3. Can you make this happen? If so please see no. 1.
      lol.. Just traded E-mails with you..

10. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2004 Phaeton W12, 2004 Passat W8 4Motion 6MT, 2009 MB GL550, 2010 Audi Q5 3.2L, 2014 Audi S4
      10-22-2012 07:33 PM #11
      Regrets for my delayed follow-up on my earlier post... the installation of a customized version of the Dension Gateway Lite BT that Enfig offers with a connector/cable that will connect behind the Phaeton head unit (Dension model number GBL3AU2), along with the iPod connection cable as an accessory (IPO5DC9).

Using one of Michael's previous DIY's on how to remove the trim and head unit, I installed the GBL3AU2 behind the head unit and used the IPO5DC9 cable assembly for connectivity to my iPod in the storage box between the front seats. I ran the cable below the shifter panel, which I accessed by loosening the side panel (that runs along a U.S. driver's right leg) and tucking the cable behind it. I drilled a hole in the bottom of the storage box between the two front seats, front / left corner, and routed the iPod cable through this hole. Note that I made the hole just slightly larger in diameter than the DIN (circular) connector that plugs into the Dension unit, behind the head unit.... as I did not want to cut and reassemble the cable. Even though the hole is rather large, it is effectively invisible (it’s dark in there)... I may add a rubber grommet later, but I haven't found a reason to do this thus far.

The iPod now plays music through the CD selector channel, sounds beautiful, and is effectively invisible (unless I have the iPod out of the storage box for changing the music selection). However, there is limited useful information or iPod control interaction available from the head unit other than the volume control, play, stop, pause, and track-up / track-down (works via the steering wheel control, as well, of course). Pushing the volume control below the head unit pauses or plays the iPod nicely. There is no ability that I can identify to change playlists via the head unit, unlike the Audi A4 example shown on the Enfig video... the Phaeton's head unit does not apparently allow the same level of interface. This is not a big deal to me… it would have been “nice to have”, but I am frankly very happy to have the clean and direct mp3/iPod interface in place of the CD player. I can easily change playlists / artists / albums / etc. via the iPod itself.

Here is what my 2004 W12 Phaeton's audio CD screen display looks like with the Dension Gateway Lite BT installed, FYI (I normally keep it switched to MAP instead!)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yjwj8b0l6t...0Lite%20BT.jpg

All the best,

Peter

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 VW P W12 LWB, 2006 VW T V8 OP5, 2008 smart FT i3 Cabrio
      10-23-2012 03:35 PM #12
      Peter, thank you for posting your results.

Are you familiar with streaming apps such as Spotify or Pandora?

When the iPhone has such alternative music sources running, many hardware devices able to trigger a forward/previous command to the iPod function will instead send it to the Spotify or Pandora. This can be very useful when using such software.

Have you tried your iPhone/Phaeton with such alternative music sources? Did it work?

12. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      10-23-2012 05:07 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Itzmann View Post

When the iPhone has such alternative music sources running, many hardware devices able to trigger a forward/previous command to the iPod function will instead send it to the Spotify or Pandora. This can be very useful when using such software.

Have you tried your iPhone/Phaeton with such alternative music sources? Did it work?
      Hi. Actually, I do not use an iPhone... I'm an Android (Samsung Galaxy Note) man, myself. I integrated an iPod (Classic) in the Phaeton, via the newly installed Dension Gateway Lite BT and the cable between the head unit / Dension Gateway and the storage box between the two front seats. The Dension device charges and maintains the charge of the iPod as it plays it. This Dension device also provides Bluetooth connectivity (hence the "BT" in the model name), and I successfully paired it with my Android. Great hands-free BT telephone integration through the Phaeton's stereo system and the additional microphone supplied with the Dension unit (I mounted the microphone just above the steering wheel, which hidden wiring behind the dash). People who I've communicated with via phone in the car say that I sound "clear as a bell" coming through the BT interface. My phone should be able to stream (Pandora, MP3 files on my phone, etc.) via BT to the Dension / Phaeton in the same manner... it's designed to do this, but I haven't tried it yet. Frankly speaking, I'm happier using my iPod with a direct and battery charging connection vs. draining my phone battery with continuous BT transmissions for streaming music.

13. Former Advertiser
      Vehicles
      2001 GTI VR6
      10-25-2012 08:24 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Itzmann View Post

Yes it does transfer the song up and down via Direct connect and Bluetooth...

14. Former Advertiser
      Vehicles
      2001 GTI VR6
      10-25-2012 09:05 AM #15
      Glove BOX connection conversion cable now in stock.

Enfig AUD2-TO-VWT $29.99
      http://enfigcarstereo.com/ENFIG_AUD2_TO_VWT.html

15. 10-30-2012 11:03 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by pdejong0 View Post
      Regrets for my delayed follow-up on my earlier post... the installation of a customized version of the Dension Gateway Lite BT that Enfig offers with a connector/cable that will connect behind the Phaeton head unit (Dension model number GBL3AU2), along with the iPod connection cable as an accessory (IPO5DC9).

Using one of Michael's previous DIY's on how to remove the trim and head unit, I installed the GBL3AU2 behind the head unit and used the IPO5DC9 cable assembly for connectivity to my iPod in the storage box between the front seats. I ran the cable below the shifter panel, which I accessed by loosening the side panel (that runs along a U.S. driver's right leg) and tucking the cable behind it. I drilled a hole in the bottom of the storage box between the two front seats, front / left corner, and routed the iPod cable through this hole. Note that I made the hole just slightly larger in diameter than the DIN (circular) connector that plugs into the Dension unit, behind the head unit.... as I did not want to cut and reassemble the cable. Even though the hole is rather large, it is effectively invisible (it’s dark in there)... I may add a rubber grommet later, but I haven't found a reason to do this thus far.

The iPod now plays music through the CD selector channel, sounds beautiful, and is effectively invisible (unless I have the iPod out of the storage box for changing the music selection). However, there is limited useful information or iPod control interaction available from the head unit other than the volume control, play, stop, pause, and track-up / track-down (works via the steering wheel control, as well, of course). Pushing the volume control below the head unit pauses or plays the iPod nicely. There is no ability that I can identify to change playlists via the head unit, unlike the Audi A4 example shown on the Enfig video... the Phaeton's head unit does not apparently allow the same level of interface. This is not a big deal to me… it would have been “nice to have”, but I am frankly very happy to have the clean and direct mp3/iPod interface in place of the CD player. I can easily change playlists / artists / albums / etc. via the iPod itself.

Here is what my 2004 W12 Phaeton's audio CD screen display looks like with the Dension Gateway Lite BT installed, FYI (I normally keep it switched to MAP instead!)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yjwj8b0l6t...0Lite%20BT.jpg

All the best,

Peter
      Same results here and a similar thanks to Christian. My install took a total of 3-4 hours:

1. Hour 1: Pull head unit and install Denison.

2. Hours 2-3: Figure out how to put iPod cable through Nokia antenna hole.

3. Hour 4: Replace gear selector lever.

Steps 2 and 3 were the most frustrating, but the forum was a great help. Thanks, guys.

16. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2004 Phaeton W12, (sold) 2003 Passat W8
      04-10-2014 07:00 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Christian@enfig View Post
      Glove BOX connection conversion cable now in stock.

Enfig AUD2-TO-VWT $29.99
      http://enfigcarstereo.com/ENFIG_AUD2_TO_VWT.html
      There were no instructions with the adapter. Do you connect the loose black wire to the black ground wire on the Dennison harness? Also using this adapter, where do I hook up the mute wire from the Dennison harness?
      Last edited by pantera1683; 04-10-2014 at 08:10 PM.