Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Hazards, but NO turn signals....

Vehicles
      91 GTI ABA-T, 97 GTI VR, 06 MkIV Golf, 13 DE GTI, 13 Touareg TDI Executive Edition
      09-24-2012 06:25 PM #1
      Car is a 96 Golf. I've searched (not new here). I've hung test 3 different known good relays for the emergency flashers AND 2 known good turn signal stalks. Still no turns. Hazards work fine.

I don't do this very often at all (those who know me know this), but...........what the hell could it be? I have a bentley but I don't know how to read wiring diagrams. I don't do electrical.

Car has been modded and doesn't have an alarm module (2 big wires are bridged together).
      -Apple
      Articulated Speed Solutions FTW
      Quote Originally Posted by slcturbo View Post
      I dont care what you or anyone else "thinks" they have done. We're all just racing for fun on here whether you run 9's or 17's.

Vehicles
      91 GTI ABA-T, 97 GTI VR, 06 MkIV Golf, 13 DE GTI, 13 Touareg TDI Executive Edition
      09-26-2012 06:53 AM #2
      up
      -Apple
      I dont care what you or anyone else "thinks" they have done. We're all just racing for fun on here whether you run 9's or 17's.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      1998 GTI 2.0T
      09-26-2012 02:42 PM #3
      You SURE the turn signal switches you tried were good? Verified in another car to be 100% sure?

Checked all fuses?
      2012 Corolla
      1998 GTI 2.0T

World Automotive
      Need any VCDS (VAG-COM) diagnostics or coding in the North NJ area? PM me.

Vehicles
      09-30-2012 04:05 PM #4
      Yea ive done both....everything ive hang tested was off of my own cars. Thats why this is so new to me.....Ive never been stumped by a mk3 until now. Lol
      -Apple

Vehicles
      10-01-2012 01:11 PM #5
      up
      -Apple

6. Member
      Vehicles
      1998 GTI 2.0T
      10-01-2012 02:33 PM #6
      I think the switch is really the only possibility there, maybe a fuse

Time to stop bumping and start studying wiring diagrams, because that's something we're not gonna do for you over the interwebs
      2012 Corolla
      1998 GTI 2.0T

World Automotive

Vehicles
      10-09-2012 05:31 PM #7
      hahahaha I've continuity checked both bulb trays....and physically inspected associated wiring.
      -Apple

8. Member
      Vehicles
      1998 GTI 2.0T
      10-09-2012 06:25 PM #8
      Well we know the bulbs work, because the turn signals work. Are you sure the correct bulbs are installed?

Generally I'd say this is a switch, but you insist you ruled that out. Check the connections at the switch
      2012 Corolla
      1998 GTI 2.0T

World Automotive

Vehicles
      10-10-2012 08:58 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Anony00GT View Post
      Well we know the bulbs work, because the turn signals work. Are you sure the correct bulbs are installed?

Generally I'd say this is a switch, but you insist you ruled that out. Check the connections at the switch
      You mean because the hazards work. The bulbs are correct because I actually took the bulb trays out of my gti vr to hang test, with the same result. And yea, can't be the switch because I swapped out not only the harness with a known good parts car I had, but also the 3 switches I mentioned before. And if anything I should get the front turn signals to work because it's only 2 wires that go to them, which means there's a common denominator somewhere in the wiring where the hazards and turn signals are bridged together. Next step I guess is to trace wire by wire.

This is poo.
      -Apple

10. Member
      Vehicles
      1998 GTI 2.0T
      10-10-2012 10:51 AM #10
      Wait a second, you mean only the rear hazards work, the front turn signals NEVER blink?

And exactly what harness did you swap to test?
      2012 Corolla
      1998 GTI 2.0T

World Automotive