Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 14 of 14

    Thread: PAINT??? ideas

    1. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 12th, 2012
      Location
      Elkton MD
      Posts
      503
      Vehicles
      93 VW Fox GL ( black ) R.I.P...2000 Jetta GLS 2.0L Black leather 200k miles and counting
      09-24-2012 08:31 PM #1
      hey guys i want to hear some paint color ideas for my 93 vw fox it is black with red pin stripes right now which i love but my dad was spray painting with white enamel and it has left what looks and feels like dust but you cannot wipe it off but he agreed to pay $250 for a basic paint job from AAMCO but i dont know what color to get what do you guys think heres my fox as of now and these pics are not up to date the headlights are in and grill also front is staped out plus i replaced the window regulator so no more screwdriver


    2. Member DubsesdA3's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 13th, 2005
      Location
      PHX, unfortunately
      Posts
      3,654
      Vehicles
      '98 K2
      09-24-2012 09:10 PM #2
      My last car was painted by Maaco. It had the $250 paint job that the PO thought would be okay. Unless you do the paint prep yourself, it's not worth it. They're literally going to shoot paint onto your car. My 2 year old paint was peeling the day I bought the car, and was coming off in sheets the day I sold it.

      I really think it's a better idea to prep the whole car before bringing it in, as they won't do it for $250.
      • FS: 2 Early Westy Grills for MK1

      DIYAUTOFTW

    3. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 12th, 2012
      Location
      Elkton MD
      Posts
      503
      Vehicles
      93 VW Fox GL ( black ) R.I.P...2000 Jetta GLS 2.0L Black leather 200k miles and counting
      09-24-2012 09:19 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by DubsesdA3 View Post
      My last car was painted by Maaco. It had the $250 paint job that the PO thought would be okay. Unless you do the paint prep yourself, it's not worth it. They're literally going to shoot paint onto your car. My 2 year old paint was peeling the day I bought the car, and was coming off in sheets the day I sold it.

      I really think it's a better idea to prep the whole car before bringing it in, as they won't do it for $250.
      really? i guess thats understandable thats a good bit of prep

    4. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 16th, 2005
      Location
      Colorado Springs
      Posts
      682
      Vehicles
      1993 Volkswagen Fox 4-door, 1968 Beetle, 2012 Ford Focus SE Sport 5MT
      09-24-2012 09:54 PM #4
      How bad is the white "overspray?" I'd probably just live with it unless it's extremely noticeable. All of our old cars have their own unique character to them by this point.

    5. Member DubsesdA3's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 13th, 2005
      Location
      PHX, unfortunately
      Posts
      3,654
      Vehicles
      '98 K2
      09-25-2012 12:59 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by woodardman View Post
      really? i guess thats understandable thats a good bit of prep
      It costs a hell of a lot less than a crappy paint job. Even if you sand the paint down and keep the edges smooth, it will come out better. The *$250* paint job will look great for a few months without prep, but will show it's age quickly. There's a reason it costs so much for a job well done.
      • FS: 2 Early Westy Grills for MK1

      DIYAUTOFTW

    6. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 12th, 2012
      Location
      Elkton MD
      Posts
      503
      Vehicles
      93 VW Fox GL ( black ) R.I.P...2000 Jetta GLS 2.0L Black leather 200k miles and counting
      09-25-2012 06:33 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by novws View Post
      How bad is the white "overspray?" I'd probably just live with it unless it's extremely noticeable. All of our old cars have their own unique character to them by this point.
      hell yeah our cars are unique lmao i actually saw another fox in Pennsylvania its a faded maroon base fox model still nice tho but the over spray is not that i think if i wet sanded it with 2000 grit and then buffed it it'll look a hell of alot better

    7. Member toast_king's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 16th, 2012
      Location
      Detroit, MI
      Posts
      289
      Vehicles
      1989 Fox Wagon
      09-25-2012 09:44 AM #7
      Honestly, try hitting it with a clay bar first. You'd be surprised what they lift.

    8. Member QuantumSyncro's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 28th, 2000
      Location
      Des Moines, IA
      Posts
      4,211
      Vehicles
      97 Jetta TDI, 89 Fox diesel, 92 300SD turbo, 82 GS1100E
      09-25-2012 11:52 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by toast_king View Post
      Honestly, try hitting it with a clay bar first. You'd be surprised what they lift.
      ditto, clay bar can get rid of a lot...
      Gir - "won't the sploding hurt?" Zim - "Silence!"

    9. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 12th, 2012
      Location
      Elkton MD
      Posts
      503
      Vehicles
      93 VW Fox GL ( black ) R.I.P...2000 Jetta GLS 2.0L Black leather 200k miles and counting
      09-25-2012 03:06 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by toast_king View Post
      Honestly, try hitting it with a clay bar first. You'd be surprised what they lift.
      thanks ill try that out this weekend

    10. Member toast_king's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 16th, 2012
      Location
      Detroit, MI
      Posts
      289
      Vehicles
      1989 Fox Wagon
      09-25-2012 03:57 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by woodardman View Post
      thanks ill try that out this weekend
      they make them in different roughnesses too, but start with the very fine one so youre not over doing it if you dont have to.

    11. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 12th, 2012
      Location
      Elkton MD
      Posts
      503
      Vehicles
      93 VW Fox GL ( black ) R.I.P...2000 Jetta GLS 2.0L Black leather 200k miles and counting
      09-26-2012 08:21 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by toast_king View Post
      they make them in different roughnesses too, but start with the very fine one so youre not over doing it if you dont have to.
      Ok
      i was just gonna get the meguiers claybar kit i heard there kit is nice but ill see what grain the clay bars come with it

    12. Member toast_king's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 16th, 2012
      Location
      Detroit, MI
      Posts
      289
      Vehicles
      1989 Fox Wagon
      09-26-2012 09:05 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by woodardman View Post
      Ok
      i was just gonna get the meguiers claybar kit i heard there kit is nice but ill see what grain the clay bars come with it
      Actually, that'd be an excellent place to start!

    13. Member PaulAP's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 21st, 2009
      Location
      Winnipeg
      Posts
      230
      Vehicles
      2004 MKIV Jetta GLS, 2009 Routan Comfortline 4.0L w/ RSE, 2011 Jetta VI Trendline+
      09-28-2012 01:31 PM #13
      My dad sprayed our old camper yellow, and our red Fox was in the driveway...
      Up close it looked looked a ladybug! The yellow spots were EVERYWHERE!

      A razer blade quickly took care of the glass and mirrors, and we re-waxed the car
      and all the spots came off quite easily. Don't know if that will work if the car hadn't
      been waxed in a while, but the yellow paint spots were on the wax, not the paint.

      The plastic, tires etc also came clean with our favorite black treatment at the time.
      Like I said, it was a few years ago, so I don't remember what is was (Armor All?).

      It's worth a try, especially if your Fox had been waxed previously.
      VW 4 Life... For life, that's what the ex said... but i mean it...

    14. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 12th, 2012
      Location
      Elkton MD
      Posts
      503
      Vehicles
      93 VW Fox GL ( black ) R.I.P...2000 Jetta GLS 2.0L Black leather 200k miles and counting
      09-28-2012 03:03 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by PaulAP View Post
      My dad sprayed our old camper yellow, and our red Fox was in the driveway...
      Up close it looked looked a ladybug! The yellow spots were EVERYWHERE!

      A razer blade quickly took care of the glass and mirrors, and we re-waxed the car
      and all the spots came off quite easily. Don't know if that will work if the car hadn't
      been waxed in a while, but the yellow paint spots were on the wax, not the paint.

      The plastic, tires etc also came clean with our favorite black treatment at the time.
      Like I said, it was a few years ago, so I don't remember what is was (Armor All?).

      It's worth a try, especially if your Fox had been waxed previously.
      yeah no it hasnt had a wax in 2 years from it sitting

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •