Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The "I don't watch football" club

Vehicles
      jettachka
      09-25-2012 02:04 AM #1
      Just logged on facebook for the first time in a few days and logged off in a matter of seconds when I saw my feed cluttered with nothing but people bitching about some football sh!t.

Don't understand why some people like watching this sport so much. I can understand having fun actually playing it, but the whole spectator thing and how some people get mad when "their" team loses, or acting like NOTHING else matters when the game is on, I'll never understand.

Anybody else feel this way?

Haters welcomed!

Vehicles
      '02 Cooper S
      09-25-2012 02:10 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by iliaonabike View Post
      Don't understand why some people like watching sports so much.
      Ftfy.
      Don't like something? Report it. We can't be everywhere at all times.

09-25-2012 02:12 AM #3
      I only watch the SuperBowl.....but mostly for the food at the party and the commercials during the game.

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      09-25-2012 02:12 AM #4
      Just logged on facebook for the first time in a few days and logged off in a matter of seconds when I saw my feed cluttered with nothing but people bitching about some football sh!t.

Don't understand why some people like watching this sport so much. I can understand having fun actually playing it, but the whole spectator thing and how some people get mad when "their" team loses, or acting like NOTHING else matters when the game is on, I'll never understand.

Haters welcomed!
      Kick rocks, Sally.
      Did you know you can use old motor oil to fertilize your lawn?
      Quote Originally Posted by rconn14 View Post
      I hope deadmau5 is on a forum somewhere calling patrikman a douchebag too.
      Support Your Local Homebrewery Pocket Pool Team Captain IPRO

Vehicles
      2001 Audi A4 TQMS, 2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder
      09-25-2012 02:41 AM #5
      I enjoy watching it, but like others, only the Super Bowl, and it's more of an excuse to drink ****ty beer and socialize. There's just too much dead time. They need to cut 3 hours down to about 1 hour.
      Do not be persecuted by the pompous fedora, balanced by the equilibrium, fortified by the
      government's inability to eradicate, or foreshadow—taken from the Hebrew word: foreskin

6. Banned
      Vehicles
      Lot's of Nike's
      09-25-2012 03:07 AM #6
      my girl recently got me kinda hooked on futeball. i agree with the time cut, 3 hours is really boring and i think im done rooting for her team the broncos, i wore her old hoodie one day and i swear, everyone in my hometown wanted to kill me..

Vehicles
      Track ready, Supercharged R32+ Track-Ready Vw Polo 6N, with GTI motor.
      09-25-2012 03:12 AM #7
      I feel the same way about most sports (but I really do not enjoy American football)

When it comes to football or when I was younger watching MLB (Yankees fan here) I'd only enjoy watching the important matches.

I suppose I dont really like team sports haha

Needless to say, the above, factored with the fact that Im brownish and have a funny first name means I had one hell of a time growing up in high school in the states

Vehicles
      2007 Mazda 3 HB
      09-25-2012 05:28 AM #8

Haters welcomed!
      any sport for that matter. How people can get so worked up over a GAME to beat up fans, flip cars, vandalize property, make visitors feel unwelcome is just beyond me. Here in Pittsburgh its practically a cult mentality, I've seen several steelers tattoos

If people cared half as much about things that actually mattered (auditing the federal reserve, participating in local politics - where votes matter so much more, volunteering), who knows where we'd be. Then there's fantasy football . . . .

09-25-2012 05:43 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by WeenerBoy View Post
      my girl recently got me kinda hooked on futeball. i agree with the time cut, 3 hours is really boring and i think im done rooting for her team the broncos, i wore her old hoodie one day and i swear, everyone in my hometown wanted to kill me..
      I've never heard of a dude wearing his girlfriend's clothing. The other way around, sure...but that is very odd to me.

Newsflash, op - some people like things you don't like. Get over it. Don't be so surprised if you are invited to a party in the fall/winter on a saturday/sunday and Football happens to be on the TV, and people happen to be interested in it.

Vehicles
      Matrix
      09-25-2012 05:49 AM #10
      Amen. I never understood it either. Being in New York, you won't believe the amount of sheeple here that blindly root for the giants, jets, bills, yankees, mets, nicks, rangers, islanders because it's the cool thing to do and part of being "patriotic"

I only watch the superbowl because it's more of a social thing where you eat and drink with friends and do nothing all day

Personally, I watch real football(soccer) Not this helmet helmet rugby bullsh!t with timeouts every minute so they can cut to a commercial

Haters welcomed!

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      09-25-2012 05:53 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Late Apex View Post

Personally, I watch real football(soccer) Not this helmet helmet rugby bullsh!t with timeouts every minute so they can cut to a commercial
      Who needs to cut to commericials when the uniforms have a sponsor plastered on them that's 10x bigger than the team crest? Don't forget the fields lined with sponsor boards or the little rotating commercial sponsor next the time/score on the TV screen.

Jus' saying...

09-25-2012 05:56 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Late Apex View Post
      Personally, I watch real football(soccer) because it makes me feel superior in some way to the rest of the "sheeple" watching that american football, psssh.
      ftfy.

Oh...and is the rest of the world made up of sheeple because they watch mostly soccer?

Vehicles
      2002 Golf Wagon TDI. 1996 Surf Green GTI VR6. 2005 Chrysler T&C.
      09-25-2012 06:18 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Black Jetta GT View Post
      I've got to give these guys credit. They've at least got one woman in the kitchen. My friend's Mom was the only female around when we'd be playing D&D.
      Bro, do you even lift? When you only have 90 horsepower, you don't ever lift.
      2002 Golf Wagon TDI - 1996 GTI VR6 - YouTube Track Videos - flickr

Vehicles
      08 Elantra, 12 Focus
      09-25-2012 06:43 AM #14
      i like to watch a game every now and then and i have my teams i root for, but i don't understand how or why some people are so emotionally invested in it. So what, your team lost on sunday, don't come into work all hot about it.
      Quote Originally Posted by Jesus is my pilot View Post
      Pro-abortionists are so rabid for the killing of babies they are willing to sacrifice the health and safety of women to make sure they continue.
      Quote Originally Posted by koidragon1980 View Post
      If Jesus is your pilot, then irony is your vehicle.

Vehicles
      07 Rabbit
      09-25-2012 06:44 AM #15
      Sports = boring. I'm sick of all the armchair coaches in my twitter feed. I had to unfollow several.

16. 09-25-2012 07:00 AM #16
      Sports, in general, are boring. What makes it worse is how crazy people get about them.

Vehicles
      '12 Outback & '13 GTI
      09-25-2012 07:07 AM #17
      I don't follow any sports.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      I just want to know why OP thought making a thread in The Car Lounge would help him in any way... We've got a bunch of dudes telling him to "pepper his angus," and an insurance agent who just made a 2:30 appointment to **** someones wife. Classic TCL.

Vehicles
      2003 Civic SiR
      09-25-2012 07:41 AM #18
      I enjoy catching a game at the World Cup, or the odd hockey game if its on TV - but it was pretty boring at my buddies last Saturday watching Michigan vs Notre Dame for 3+ hours, I must say. I think I'd have more fun playing like the other guy in this thread mentioned.

Vehicles
      2014 Chevrolet Traverse LT 2006 GMC Yukon XL SLT
      09-25-2012 07:46 AM #19
      Football (futbol) is played using the feet. What is shown on TV is throwball.

I'll watch my college team play, and maybe the Superbowl, but that's it. Could care less about roided out man-children that will be broke 5 years after they 'retire'.
      ... you're not a hipster. But you definitely have hipster tendencies. Stay vigilant... like diabetes, you can manage this.
      -20DYNAMITE07

This thread sucks -Quattro Krant

20. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      09-25-2012 07:51 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by merckx56 View Post
      Could care less about roided out man-children that will be broke 5 years after they 'retire'.
      Why don't you care less then?

09-25-2012 07:54 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by FlashRedGLS1.8T View Post
      Why don't you care less then?
      because inferiority complex.

22. 09-25-2012 07:55 AM #22
      I loathe almost all sports. I just have better things to do with three hours.

23. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      09-25-2012 07:57 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      because inferiority complex.

24. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      09-25-2012 07:57 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Nicefeet View Post
      I loathe almost all sports. I just have better things to do with three hours.
      I know, like surfing the web and posting on the internet.

Vehicles
      NB Miata
      09-25-2012 08:09 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by merckx56 View Post
      Football (futbol) is played using the feet. What is shown on TV is throwball.
      "Handegg".

Could care less about roided out man-children that will be broke 5 years after they 'retire'.
      Football from the high school level on up needs to really look at making rule changes so these guys aren't coming out of their careers with scrambled brains. That's the real tragedy. If someone can get paid a million bucks to play a game that's good for them... but if that game leaves them a drooling veggie after repeated concussions, that's no good. But it's like crashes in NASCAR or fights in hockey, the fans love the hard helmet-crunching hits.
      Splinter - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      I don't practice llanteria

Vehicles
      Why don't you take a seat over there
      09-25-2012 08:42 AM #26
      Sports be gay yo!

Unless it's motorsports, like motocross, snowmobile racing, etc.
      Sent on a Post-It by way of carrier pigeon

Vehicles
      07 Rabbit
      09-25-2012 08:59 AM #27
      Even though I played sports as a kid, I was never that into them. I feel like sports have changed so much and evolved into something ridiculous. Some of these player salaries and all the steroids garbage. Every player getting arrested for guns or drugs or DUI's, frivolous spending, etc.

It really doesn't seem to be about the game. Even so, the rules have been changed and manipulated so much that the soul of the game really isn't there anymore. This of course is my opinion and if sports are your hobby, right on. Hobbies are good. Things you enjoy are good.

I will admit to enjoying the luxury suite at the Rangers game I went to last year. I didn't pay attention to the game, though. I have fond memories of going to Dodgers games as a kid. That's definitely not the same anymore. I'd be afraid of getting stabbed.

09-25-2012 08:59 AM #28

Don't understand why some people like things I don't like
      ftfy
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

Vehicles
      VW
      09-25-2012 09:10 AM #29
      oh god I friggin hate football
      I think the reason is because I've always lived in fairly close proximity to the horseshoe (OSU)
      college kids and all the other "I bleed scarlet and grey" hardcore fans act like complete fvcking retards on game day, and that's putting it nicely.
      my mom used to have to shut all the windows and doors in our house when my dad was watching Ohio state b/c she didn't want neighbors to think they were having a domestic dispute
      so rediculous. srsly. it's fvcking COLLEGE football, not even pro, get a fvcking life morans
      [/rant]
      sorry if I offended you flashred, you're my homie, lol

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      09-25-2012 09:17 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by mkII_short_dub View Post
      oh god I friggin hate football
      I think the reason is because I've always lived in fairly close proximity to the horseshoe (OSU)
      college kids and all the other "I bleed scarlet and grey" hardcore fans act like complete fvcking retards on game day, and that's putting it nicely.
      my mom used to have to shut all the windows and doors in our house when my dad was watching Ohio state b/c she didn't want neighbors to think they were having a domestic dispute
      so rediculous. srsly. it's fvcking COLLEGE football, not even pro, get a fvcking life morans
      [/rant]
      sorry if I offended you flashred, you're my homie, lol
      I despise OSU football... I grew up in the C'bus area and everyone tried to shove that garbage down my throat. They couldn't understand why I wasn't a fan. Well, neither of my parents attended OSU and neither did I. Why the hell would you support a college team if you have no connection to the school other than living in the same town??

Vehicles
      '11 Kia Optima LX, '09 Mazda5 GT, '14 Pyeonghwa Hwiparma II
      09-25-2012 09:18 AM #31
      Count me in. I got a bunch of slack for a similar topic.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-hate-football
      My flickr
      "The best way to give advice to your children is to find out what they want and then advise them to do it." - Harry S. Truman

"Yeah I wouldn't blow 3" either." - emmettlodge

09-25-2012 09:20 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      I despise OSU football... I grew up in the C'bus area and everyone tried to shove that garbage down my throat. They couldn't understand why I wasn't a fan. Well, neither of my parents attended OSU and neither did I. Why the hell would you support a college team if you have no connection to the school other than living in the same town??
      NFL football is for people who didn't go to college
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

33. 09-25-2012 09:25 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by ATL_Av8r View Post
      College grad here and I love the NFL.

You don't understand why people are so into it. I don't understand why people get so worked up over people liking something that they don't. I mean, I hate NASCAR but I don't get all pissed off when I hear people talking about it or when they post on FB about it. I skip past it and move on.

34. 09-25-2012 09:26 AM #34
      I much prefer the NHL, but......

I just watch Lions games if I'm home. It does make a huge difference if you played the sports you watch. Esp growing up playing hockey, then going to the game live with good seats. You have to appreciate the speed, size and skill. It's like being an amateur artist and going to a museum to see the classics, or being in a garage band and seeing a highly skilled tight band playing live.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      09-25-2012 09:27 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by ATL_Av8r View Post

Well, when you look at the Bungals and Browns it's easy to undestand the OSU obsession I guess.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast