Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Official VWvortex Super Beetle Project Build Thread

1. Administrator jamie@vwvortex's Avatar
      Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      2012 SuperBeetle, 2012 Jetta GLI, Ducati Multistrada 1200, Triumph Bonneville
      09-25-2012 02:15 PM #1

Vehicles
      2006 GLI and 1987 Scirocco 16V
      09-25-2012 03:00 PM #2
      Eep!

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Beetle Turbo
      09-25-2012 03:01 PM #3
      Whaaaaaaa

Sent from Tapatalk
      DrTechy is now an Authorized E-Tuners Dealer (Check out DrT Tuning on Facebook or email mario@drtechy.com for details/questions)

2012 Turbo Beetle.... My thread

Vehicles
      Yellow 1970 Beetle & Yellow Rush 2012 Beetle 2.5L Tiptronic
      09-25-2012 03:21 PM #4
      Ya know what would be super? If my Beetle would stop unlocking and locking itself and if the dealer would replace my 5x soaked interior with one that doesn't smell like gym socks... I'm not even going to complain that they haven't fixed the upsy downsy yet.

Ok Ok back on topic. Can't wait for details of this project.
      ■■■■■■■■■■■■

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Beetle Turbo
      09-25-2012 03:25 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by eunos94 View Post
      Ya know what would be super? If my Beetle would stop unlocking and locking itself and if the dealer would replace my 5x soaked interior with one that doesn't smell like gym socks... I'm not even going to complain that they haven't fixed the upsy downsy yet.
      Really? in a build thread

Sent from Tapatalk
      DrTechy is now an Authorized E-Tuners Dealer (Check out DrT Tuning on Facebook or email mario@drtechy.com for details/questions)

2012 Turbo Beetle.... My thread

Vehicles
      09-25-2012 03:32 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by drtechy View Post
      Really? in a build thread

Sent from Tapatalk
      meh grumble grumble just really annoyed with my car today as it won't stay locked... sigh
      ■■■■■■■■■■■■

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Turbo Beetle
      09-25-2012 03:50 PM #7
      I'm loving the profile of that whale-tail spoiler.... very interested to see!

GTarr

8. Administrator jamie@vwvortex's Avatar
      Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      09-25-2012 05:08 PM #8
      Beetle donor car arrived today. Six-speed manual, no sunroof, turbo in Platinum Grey. Car is down at APR along with the Golf R donor (former autoshow crusher car that VW had written off already) that will supply the AWD system and various support pieces.

I'm just posting up a few teaser bits here in the Beetle forum till this more formally kicks off early next week. We'll be posting regular updates in this thread for everyone.

500HP and AWD should make this a fun Beetle.

Vehicles
      2006 GLI and 1987 Scirocco 16V
      09-25-2012 06:02 PM #9
      :jawdrop:

Vehicles
      2012 Beetle Sportline, Black
      09-25-2012 06:03 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by jamie@vwvortex View Post
      500HP and AWD should make this a fun Beetle.
      And you get paid for this too, don't you

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Beetle, 2010 GTI, 2004 s2000
      09-25-2012 08:50 PM #11
      got my attention...

Vehicles
      2009 GTI
      09-25-2012 09:32 PM #12
      sub'd!

I was hoping to see HPA make another monster, but this def works!
      :APR -stage 2 :BSH -Intake,Mounts,RSB,TB Pipe :Whiteline -A.L.K. :Porsche 17Z BBK
      :Devils Own -DVC-30+Direct Port Injection :BC Racing -BR Coilovers :Flik-FTD :OSIR
      :Eurojet -Ceramic Coated TBE :DEFI :Unibrace :Tyrolsport :Bildon :Hawk :034
      TSI FAQ: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4042736

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      09-26-2012 07:02 AM #13
      Might rekindle VW's thoughts about actually making an AWD Turbo Beetle.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Turbo Beetle
      09-26-2012 08:58 AM #14
      Forget the Beetle R, I want this one.

GTarr

Vehicles
      ERMAHGERD_I_HAS_YELA_FROG_LIGHTS
      09-26-2012 10:25 AM #15
      OOO Pretty cool, and you don't sound like some kid just talking big game. Sounds like you got what it takes to back these numbers up.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Turbo Beetle
      09-26-2012 10:33 AM #16
      knew i shouldn't have clicked on this thread....
      i'm not getting anything done now
      just going to wait for updates...

Vehicles
      09-26-2012 12:27 PM #17
      Well well well now this I can get excited about.
      ■■■■■■■■■■■■

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      09-26-2012 05:55 PM #18
      This could be the most anticipated event since sliced bread was first introduced to the
      masses. For those unfamiliar with the origin of sliced bread, note that in 1732 a duel
      developed in a country inn over the affections of a pretty wench who answered to the
      name Ba-bie. During the duel of swords, one of the combatants accidently slammed his
      sword onto the top of a nearby table where a loaf of bread was resting and for the first
      time known to man, a slice of bread was born. The man sitting at the table called out
      to the man by name, saying 'LeSlice, do it again !' Pierre LeSlice did do it again and now
      with two slices before him, the seated man called out to the bar keeper for some salted
      meat. He then placed the meat between the two slices of bread. The name of this man,
      it turns out, was The Earl of Sandwich and he was the inventor of the prepared food that
      bear's his name.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Turbo Beetle
      09-26-2012 06:18 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by ridgemanron View Post
      This could be the most anticipated event since sliced bread was first introduced to the
      masses. For those unfamiliar with the origin of sliced bread, note that in 1732 a duel
      developed in a country inn over the affections of a pretty wench who answered to the
      name Ba-bie. During the duel of swords, one of the combatants accidently slammed his
      sword onto the top of a nearby table where a loaf of bread was resting and for the first
      time known to man, a slice of bread was born. The man sitting at the table called out
      to the man by name, saying 'LeSlice, do it again !' Pierre LeSlice did do it again and now
      with two slices before him, the seated man called out to the bar keeper for some salted
      meat. He then placed the meat between the two slices of bread. The name of this man,
      it turns out, was The Earl of Sandwich and he was the inventor of the prepared food that
      bear's his name.

Haha gotta love this site
      Always something new

Vehicles
      00 Beetle
      09-27-2012 02:31 PM #20
      bear's his name.
      Well that was random. I can't wait to see how this one turns out...
      2000 Beetle, 1991 CR-X, 1988 F-150 (Still don't know why I like this truck...)

09-27-2012 09:45 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by jamie@vwvortex View Post
      Bring it!
      Quote Originally Posted by rich! View Post
      i'd lock this thread but i have no clue how...

22. Semi-n00b
      10-03-2012 09:53 AM #22
      Any more news on this yet?

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW Turbo beetle
      10-03-2012 10:21 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by --DaRk-AnGeL-- View Post
      Any more news on this yet?
      I've hear rumors that NASA wants to use it as a booster for one of their upcoming
      rockets and the only problem is that all their astronauts are afraid to pilot it due to
      the scary power levels planned for it.

24. Semi-n00b
      10-03-2012 10:32 AM #24
      I've hear rumors that NASA wants to use it as a booster for one of their upcoming
      rockets and the only problem is that all their astronauts are afraid to pilot it due to
      the scary power levels planned for it.

I'm happy to take that position!

Strap me in and fire me up!

25. Administrator jamie@vwvortex's Avatar
      Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      10-05-2012 05:36 PM #25
      Our main project home page is now live HERE

Vehicles
      2010 Jetta TDI, 1984 VW Rabbit Diesel
      10-07-2012 02:01 AM #26
      Since you are looking for a unique, outrageous color for this project car, I suggest a chrome wrap with a pink/rose/salmon kind of color.
      Kind of like the Mercedes Benz Electric SLS, but pinkish...

That would be an impressive sight!

Vehicles
      '10 Sportwagen TDI, '11 GTI
      10-07-2012 05:01 PM #27
      Wow! This will be epic. Cool concept for sure!
      2010 JSW TDI - Stock - Anthracite Goals - DSG
      2011 GTI - (nav&sunroof) -APR Stage 2, APR Carbonio Stage 1&2 intake, Eurojet 3" TBE, Autotech lower mount insert, vagcom stuffs, neuspeed sts, AWE Turbo Outlet, Lamin-x, ALL of the deAutoKey LED kits, DXD Stage 2 Daily Clutch & Flywheel (highly recommend for Stage 2!)

Vehicles
      2001 New Beetle 1.8t / 1967 Beetle
      10-07-2012 09:02 PM #28
      Wow just WOW!!!!!!!!

I wish VW would have made some like this from the factory. This is an extremely awesome project that I will be watching closely. After you get the kinks worked out for all to see, I just might build my own in the future. Thank you for the new dream.

Vehicles
      ERMAHGERD_I_HAS_YELA_FROG_LIGHTS
      10-08-2012 10:24 AM #29
      So this is on the main page now with more information then the build thread WTF mate. So you guys are looking to bust this out before the end of the month. Please give us a time line of the build or something. It would be cool to see what all goes into this car. If you guys are willing to share. I mean come on the most of us can only dream of doing a project like this.

Vehicles
      1985 GTi VR6'ed, 2002 Audi TT Quattro Coupe ALMS editon
      10-08-2012 11:44 AM #30
      Well this should be interesting.

31. Administrator jamie@vwvortex's Avatar
      Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      10-08-2012 12:44 PM #31
      / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / /

02 - Dismantling Begins

So it begins...

To get this project started, there are a few things that need to happen in a certain order. First we need to get suspension parts and brakes on the vehicle so we can take final measurements for the wheels. The initial wheel design is locked down, but we need to get final dimensions both front and rear to make sure the offsets, back spacing, width and brake clearance is where we need it. So far we are discovering that there is a LOT of room in the wheel wells of the Beetle. In the rear we are potentially looking at 10" wide wheels if we wanted to - easily. That guess is with the stock suspension bits still in place and there is a strong likelihood that the Golf R pieces we we transfer over may be a bit beefier as we very quickly discovered with the front subframe.

So knowing that we wanted to lower the vehicle, we also wanted to ensure that we didn't adversely affect the handling (bump and torque steer). To help combat this we want to use TT-RS drop spindles. As Doug McClintock from APR points out, "The TT-RS drop spindles make a great change in bringing the control arms up and level with the tie rods. This decreases the bump and torque steer found when lowering the car by changing the camber circle. If you remember people changing to MK1 TT spindles on their MK4 cars, it's the same reasoning. We've had to do a couple of machining operations to make them work, but the were extremely effective on our MaxR project and that's why we elected to use them here."

So let's take a quick look under the rear end of both the Beetle and the Golf R below.

As you can see in the photo above, both the Golf R and the Beetle have a central tunnel that can support both the prop shaft for AWD and the exhaust routing to the rear. The multilink rear suspension common to both vehicles supports the Haldex AWD coupling. While there are some other minor differences, the main part that we have to deal with is the gas tank. Since the Beetle doesn't have to worry about the AWD system, the gas tank uses some of that empty space. The Golf R on the other hand has a saddle gas tank the straddles the prop shaft and exhaust. This tank requires a different sheetmetal floor pan. So we're going to have to do some major surgery to get the AWD system and gas tank into the Beetle. While we could go with a racing fuel cell in the hatch, we wanted to try and keep this installation as stock looking as possible, so we're going to be cutting some metal.

To install the suspension, we'd like to install those drop spindles we talked about previously and to install those spindles we'll need to swap over the Golf R front subframe. So out comes the stamped steel Beetle subframe:

Next the Golf R's front subframe is removed. In the photo below you can see the stock Beetle subframe above the Golf R front subframe. Note that the Golf R has a far more robust and completely aluminum subframe carrier unlike the Beetle's more simple (and heavier) stamped steel unit. Also notice how much more substantial the Golf R lower control arms are to cope with the additional horsepower:

In the photo below you can see the stock Beetle front subframe on the top made of simple stamped steel and beneath it the much beefier (and lighter) aluminum subframe from the Audi TTRS (middle) and Golf R (bottom).

Why the Audi TTRS subframe? Well we discovered the Golf R front subframe doesn't bolt directly to the Beetle. Missed it by *that* much:

However APR had a TTRS aluminum front subframe laying around and decided to give it a try and it fit perfectly. This begs the question of whether VW started their CAD chassis/floorpan design process using the Audi TT as a base to start with. This would logically make sense since both cars have convertible versions and would be more similar in design than the regular Golf. Who knows for sure, but we have a subframe that matches and that's all that matters. So here is the TTRS subframe (bottom) and Beetle steel subframe (top) along with APR's beautiful lower aluminum control arms.

Lastly we test fitted the Beetle's steering rack and the H&R front sway bars on the TTRS aluminum front subframe and everything seemed to bolt right up. So far so good.

Our next installment moves to the rear end and we start unbolting everything back there to see what we're dealing with. Stay tuned...

For the full story layout and a gallery of high-res photos check out our Super Beetle article HERE.

32. 10-08-2012 01:03 PM #32
      ttrs subframe lighter than the r/gti? If so does it fit on either of those?

33. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 2.5 5 speed Beetle
      10-08-2012 02:38 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by HalvieCuw View Post
      ttrs subframe lighter than the r/gti? If so does it fit on either of those?
      I wouldn't think the TTRS would swap into the gti since they used thenTTRS on the Beetle because the Golf R didn't fit the Beetle...

Vehicles
      Bent M
      10-08-2012 02:44 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Beets View Post
      I wouldn't think the TTRS would swap into the gti since they used thenTTRS on the Beetle because the Golf R didn't fit the Beetle...
      This.

These are the best kind of build threads, because very few, if any, individuals would ever attempt to hack apart two nearly brand new cars to end up with a single one-off creation.

I am looking forward to this!

Also, when you say 500hp, are you guys thinking of swapping in the 2.5T out of the TT-RS?
      I TCL.

35. Junior Member Twizted_bunny's Avatar
      10-08-2012 02:55 PM #35
      Definitely excited to see where this goes!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast