Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 17 of 17

    Thread: To the people of tattoine..

    1. Banned the mad conductor's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 11th, 2009
      Location
      mesa az
      Posts
      2,939
      Vehicles
      corrado
      09-25-2012 03:47 PM #1
      I come from Chicago. My vr never went over 230 on oil temp. The other day I was getting a 270 oil temp reading. I know that's a little hot.

      But what are your operating temps out here. What's normal for a corrado. I know they run hot as is. But I freaked out when I seen that.


      Here's a pic of the mythical beast


      Sent from my iPhone while inside your mom

    2. Member phxpilotmkv's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2nd, 2008
      Location
      Mesa
      Posts
      1,019
      Vehicles
      06' GTI
      09-25-2012 04:17 PM #2
      This is AZ, not Chicago, so yeah, it's dirty balls hot out here. So with an older vehicle, I'm sure you will be affected by that.

    3. Global Moderator Paul@VWvortex's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2nd, 1999
      Location
      Sunny Chandler, AZ
      Posts
      21,839
      Vehicles
      2013 Taco TRD, 10 E70 3.0 Sport, '96 VR Fabrio, TDi Tristar Syncro, 1980 Scirocco S "Der Ott"
      09-25-2012 04:17 PM #3
      That is probably about normal for a hot day in Phoenix from an oil temperature perspective.

      Most out here pick up one of these Eurosport oil cooler kits and consider them to be a necessary evil for living here.

    4. Banned the mad conductor's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 11th, 2009
      Location
      mesa az
      Posts
      2,939
      Vehicles
      corrado
      09-25-2012 05:24 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by phxpilotmkv View Post
      This is AZ, not Chicago, so yeah, it's dirty balls hot out here. So with an older vehicle, I'm sure you will be affected by that.
      I know that..

      I was just asking what your guys oil temp was in VRs.

      And the oil cooler kit is gonna be ordered soon. I gotta put a motor in this and when I do it's gonna be turbo'd.

      I just don't wana kill this motor. It's my daily until I can get a newer car 👍


      Sent from my iPhone while inside your mom

    5. Member VWnutAZ's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 6th, 2005
      Location
      Phoenix, AZ
      Posts
      2,305
      Vehicles
      THE SHOP aka Kayla lied to me, ignored me and stole from me. VERY wrong!
      09-26-2012 02:57 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Paul@VWvortex View Post
      That is probably about normal for a hot day in Phoenix from an oil temperature perspective.

      Most out here pick up one of these Eurosport oil cooler kits and consider them to be a necessary evil for living here.
      This is your old car Paul.....

    6. Banned the mad conductor's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 11th, 2009
      Location
      mesa az
      Posts
      2,939
      Vehicles
      corrado
      09-26-2012 03:37 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by VWnutAZ View Post
      This is your old car Paul.....
      Man, my car is a whore


      Sent from my iPhone while inside your mom

    7. Global Moderator Paul@VWvortex's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2nd, 1999
      Location
      Sunny Chandler, AZ
      Posts
      21,839
      Vehicles
      2013 Taco TRD, 10 E70 3.0 Sport, '96 VR Fabrio, TDi Tristar Syncro, 1980 Scirocco S "Der Ott"
      09-26-2012 12:20 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by VWnutAZ View Post
      This is your old car Paul.....
      Quote Originally Posted by the mad conductor View Post
      Man, my car is a whore
      Nah, she just fell on some hard times.





      I wish that I had more pictures after the psuedo-restoration that we did on it back in 2004. With a little work the car will be just fine.

    8. Member Sir Bungle's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 3rd, 2008
      Location
      Valley of the Sun, AZ
      Posts
      202
      Vehicles
      1993 Corrado, 2001 Allroad
      09-26-2012 02:12 PM #8
      270 oil is way too hot - even in this heat. First thing you want to do when you see that is turn off the ac and let the temps come down. If you're getting that without the ac on, then there's something wrong. Corrados naturally run a little warm, but not like that when everything is fully functional. My Corrado used to do the same thing above 110 outside with the ac on. Replaced everything on the external cooling system, and it continued. It finally remedied itself after a bottom up engine rebuild, so I don't know what the issue was. Right now I see nothing higher than 240 in 115 degree weather with the ac on. It never gets above 220 when the temps are below 100.

    9. Banned the mad conductor's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 11th, 2009
      Location
      mesa az
      Posts
      2,939
      Vehicles
      corrado
      09-26-2012 03:56 PM #9
      I never turn the ac on.

      And damn Paul, I wish it still had the lip. Most of the lip brackets are gone


      Sent from my iPhone while inside your mom

    10. Member post-it-note-killer's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 25th, 2004
      Location
      Mesa, AZ.
      Posts
      4,600
      Vehicles
      Two VW's, A BMW, a Porsche, and one of those toaster things
      09-27-2012 03:19 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by the mad conductor View Post
      I never turn the ac on.

      And damn Paul, I wish it still had the lip. Most of the lip brackets are gone


      Sent from my iPhone while inside your mom
      And my old car too… You can thank the high school kid that bought the car from me for the missing lip. I tried to talk him out of buying it and next thing I know he was trying to sell it back to me within months of buying it from me. I miss that car and I wish I coulda made it better while I had it.

      Here's when I had it.




      I buy and sell cars. So if you need something let me know. I have cars, people want cars, I can sell my cars to people, that's basically how this stuff works.
      480-274-4188

    11. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 11th, 2009
      Location
      PHX
      Posts
      4,618
      Vehicles
      D3 A8L with all the fixins, 4door MK3 VR6T, Roofless MK3 VR6T, Vanagon, Passat Wagon, Jazz Blue VR6
      09-27-2012 06:45 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Sir Bungle View Post
      270 oil is way too hot - even in this heat. First thing you want to do when you see that is turn off the ac and let the temps come down. If you're getting that without the ac on, then there's something wrong. Corrados naturally run a little warm, but not like that when everything is fully functional. My Corrado used to do the same thing above 110 outside with the ac on. Replaced everything on the external cooling system, and it continued. It finally remedied itself after a bottom up engine rebuild, so I don't know what the issue was. Right now I see nothing higher than 240 in 115 degree weather with the ac on. It never gets above 220 when the temps are below 100.
      My VR Cabrio would see 270+ at freeway speeds with A/C on.. it's not that bad - After oil cooler never see over 215
      exklusiv

    12. Member Sir Bungle's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 3rd, 2008
      Location
      Valley of the Sun, AZ
      Posts
      202
      Vehicles
      1993 Corrado, 2001 Allroad
      09-27-2012 07:31 PM #12
      Agree. My Corrado used to do the same thing. However, with a high compression stroked motor my temps are down 30 degrees. So something was obviously not up to full potential. The Corrado forum is overloaded with the same issue. Main reason is that most of the engines are getting up in age, and usually have an aged fiber hg and the plastic impeller water pump. I'm sure one of the two caused my issues. If he was running the AC, he'd be near 290. The VR cooling system has no way to bring down temps in that range. I hit that once, and my coolant boiled over...

    13. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 11th, 2009
      Location
      PHX
      Posts
      4,618
      Vehicles
      D3 A8L with all the fixins, 4door MK3 VR6T, Roofless MK3 VR6T, Vanagon, Passat Wagon, Jazz Blue VR6
      09-27-2012 08:15 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Sir Bungle View Post
      Agree. My Corrado used to do the same thing. However, with a high compression stroked motor my temps are down 30 degrees. So something was obviously not up to full potential. The Corrado forum is overloaded with the same issue. Main reason is that most of the engines are getting up in age, and usually have an aged fiber hg and the plastic impeller water pump. I'm sure one of the two caused my issues. If he was running the AC, he'd be near 290. The VR cooling system has no way to bring down temps in that range. I hit that once, and my coolant boiled over...
      The rebuild went to bigger injectors and appropriate tune didnt it.. Id suspect the motor is running a little fat and that's keeping temps down. Also OBD-II has a lot more accurate ignition and fueling that helps too.
      exklusiv

    14. Banned the mad conductor's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 11th, 2009
      Location
      mesa az
      Posts
      2,939
      Vehicles
      corrado
      09-27-2012 08:18 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by ..Derek.. View Post
      My VR Cabrio would see 270+ at freeway speeds with A/C on.. it's not that bad - After oil cooler never see over 215
      I figured you would chime in.. Did I mention I was hammering on it and is that the Eurosport cooler that was mentioned? I'm pretty sure im just gonna get a Volvo unit and just but the sammich plate.. 300 is a lot to spend when you are broke. I still haven't really found a job since I got here


      Sent from my iPhone while inside your mom

    15. Member foundubbedriver's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 10th, 2006
      Posts
      11,493
      Vehicles
      mkiv gti (killed) mkiv .:r32 (unicorn sh!tbox).
      09-28-2012 10:42 PM #15
      another transplant, welcome to hell..
      @j__cermak <-- (double underscore).

    16. Banned the mad conductor's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 11th, 2009
      Location
      mesa az
      Posts
      2,939
      Vehicles
      corrado
      09-29-2012 04:35 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by foundubbedriver View Post
      another transplant, welcome to hell..



      Ive been out here for a year in total.

    17. Member foundubbedriver's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 10th, 2006
      Posts
      11,493
      Vehicles
      mkiv gti (killed) mkiv .:r32 (unicorn sh!tbox).
      09-29-2012 09:31 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by the mad conductor View Post
      Ive been out here for a year in total.
      hmmm.. from Chicago as well, going on 7 myself.
      @j__cermak <-- (double underscore).

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •