Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Passat Headlight Problem

Hybrid View

1. n00b
      Vehicles
      1995 VW Passat GLX
      09-25-2012 05:17 PM #1
      Ok well, I just bought this 95 passat glx the other day and the kid before me missed a few things up bad. And one is the headlights. He got the HID conversion kits and hooked them up. Well he got 3. The driver side has high and low (both are not currently working) and the passanger side has the one low beam that is. I know nothing about these lights or diagnosing the problem. Someone please help.

2. n00b
      Vehicles
      1995 VW Passat GLX
      09-25-2012 05:20 PM #2
      They are Xentec conversion kits? They say Voltage DC 9V-32V, Output 35 3W, Temperature -40C -95C

Vehicles
      2010 GTI, 6sp, K04; 1996 Passat GLX - Turbo, 5sp; '81 Caddy
      09-26-2012 06:19 PM #3
      Not too hard to wire up. The ballasts (The boxes) Have a low voltage input and a very high voltage out.

The low side will hook to where the old bulbs used to plug into. A positive and negative.

The new HID bulb (Capsule) will run off of the two other leads out of the ballast with special connectors on them. Its very high voltage.

It is likely they are hooked up correctly, but the bulbs have gone bad or the ballasts have gone bad.

If you still have just regular plastic lens US headlights, I would ditch the HID's and get the OEM bulbs for them. HID's in these lights will cause glare and scattered (Very blinding) light.

Better yet get some DEPO replacements with the glass lens and better light reflectors.

Best still is to get some genuine Hella headlights from the European market.

ANY three of those lights you should not install HID kits into, because they will reflect horrible light patterns and blind oncoming drivers.

If you want to run HID's you have to retrofit an actual HID projector into your headlight. Lots and lots of info on HID projector retrofits out there. Its the right way. Its the best way. Its the only responsible way.
      ~~Silent Dawn~~ Chris O. | DarkWülf Performance Euro auto tuning and customizing East Coast, NC/VA ///email: PM ME!\\\
      (~)'10 VW GTI; 6sp; K04(~)'99 BMW M3; Dinan S/C, 5sp(~)'96 VW Passat VR6, Turbo, 5sp(~)'89 Mazda B2200; Kia FE3 swap, Turbo, 5sp(~)'87 Mazda B2000; F2 swap, 5sp(~)'81 VW Rabbit Caddy(~)'81 VW Rabbit 5dr.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      1 clunker & 2 nicer clunkers
      09-26-2012 07:04 PM #4
      I know for a fact that you can get Hella installed HIDs in B4 headlights. It's a $800 upcharge on top of their standard e-codes.

I've never seen a set, but can only imagine that they're installed in fluted housings.

-Todd

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 GLI 6sp; 2009 Jetta 2.5 5sp; 1997 Jetta 2.0 5sp
      10-02-2012 02:24 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by ToddA1 View Post
      I know for a fact that you can get Hella installed HIDs in B4 headlights. It's a $800 upcharge on top of their standard e-codes.

I've never seen a set, but can only imagine that they're installed in fluted housings.
      Well, Hella does make HID bulbs -- at least D2Rs. I'm sure someone somewhere has modified them with an H1 base to fit into Hella B4 E-code/ECE headlights, and has sold them that way.

But that doesn't mean that Hella designed them like that.

Any HID bulb installed in a reflector housing that wasn't specifically designed for it (whether with a fluted lens, or a free-form reflector) will screw up the beam pattern and blind oncoming drivers. And Passat B4 headlights weren't designed for it, whether DOT or ECE.

Vehicles
      2010 GTI, 6sp, K04; 1996 Passat GLX - Turbo, 5sp; '81 Caddy
      10-02-2012 08:44 PM #6
      Yeah, they do have D2R capsules made for reflector housings. BUT, the reflector has to be designed for a HID capsule AND take a D2R base. (The D2R has a line of reflective paint to block part of the light from exiting the capsule) You won't find an H1 "retrofit" bulb with that line on it. Not only that, but the focal length to the actual point of emitted light to the reflector is off, and will greatly affect light reflection and accuracy.
      ~~Silent Dawn~~ Chris O. | DarkWülf Performance Euro auto tuning and customizing East Coast, NC/VA ///email: PM ME!\\\
      (~)'10 VW GTI; 6sp; K04(~)'99 BMW M3; Dinan S/C, 5sp(~)'96 VW Passat VR6, Turbo, 5sp(~)'89 Mazda B2200; Kia FE3 swap, Turbo, 5sp(~)'87 Mazda B2000; F2 swap, 5sp(~)'81 VW Rabbit Caddy(~)'81 VW Rabbit 5dr.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      1 clunker & 2 nicer clunkers
      10-03-2012 11:56 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Marek K View Post
      But that doesn't mean that Hella designed them like that.
      I recall Susquehanna Motorsports (rally lights) telling me these were a Hella installed option. Maybe my memory is faltering.

-Todd