Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Jersey GP Is Not Happening According To Bernie

09-26-2012 03:08 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by mtbscoTT View Post
      I'll throw out my aspersions on the Austin race. It will happen this November as planned, but is going to create such a cluster**** of traffic and infrastructure jamming that I could really see the 2012 edition being the only one.
      UT brings 100k+ into town six times a year for football games and there's no way F1 will come close to that.
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

2. 09-26-2012 03:46 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by ATL_Av8r View Post
      UT brings 100k+ into town six times a year for football games and there's no way F1 will come close to that.
      The circuit has 100k permanent and temporary seats. I don't think this includes general admission and according to reports during the last GP the race is close to sold out. My guess is that attendance will be north of 100k, but awesome is used to holding large events.

3. 09-26-2012 03:46 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      I hate this man so much. He is the cancer that is killing F1.
      He put F1 on the world stage. If anything is "killing" F1 it's the following:

- dominance from one person and one team over several seasons (no longer the case)
      - movement away from classic tracks to modern, Herman Tilke-design circuits*
      - limited tech creativity in the face of economic realities

* There are exceptions to this, such as Monte-Carlo, Hungaroring, and Estoril, but the most exciting races tend to come from the classic, balls-out circuits - Spa, Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, Silverstone, Suzuka, Interlagos.

Vehicles
      Puma GTE / Audi A3 8L
      09-26-2012 07:04 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by allroad View Post
      He put F1 on the world stage. If anything is "killing" F1 it's the following:

- dominance from one person and one team over several seasons (no longer the case)
      - movement away from classic tracks to modern, Herman Tilke-design circuits*
      - limited tech creativity in the face of economic realities

* There are exceptions to this, such as Monte-Carlo, Hungaroring, and Estoril, but the most exciting races tend to come from the classic, balls-out circuits - Spa, Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, Silverstone, Suzuka, Interlagos.
      I hate Tilke circuits. The drivers seem to share this. Plus, if you ever been in a track trying to find lap times, its horrible trying to make laps on tracks with huge straights followed by hard 2 gear turns.

I LOVE the fact that Austin in a brand new track in the USA with Elevation changes andnot the regular tilke type track. Leave it to America to build a modern structure with a classic track feel.

Vehicles
      German vans, British sporty things.
      09-26-2012 07:24 PM #30
      According to Bernie.......
      Bernie has a pocket full of press statements to make that he saves for days when F1 coverage is slow.

A few examples...

"I would like to see _______ at Ferrari, she's be a good fit"
      "A race in Afghanistan would be great. I visited the site after the Bahrain round."
      "Full electric cars would be a great formula"

...and it works.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Porsche Carrera 991/2011 MINI S
      09-26-2012 09:48 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by ATL_Av8r View Post
      It's not just the sheer numbers but the fact that access into the facility is very limited. Anyone who's been to Laguna Seca for a big event knows what that's like.
      I believe in the press reports it's been said that the SXSW week is now the biggest event in Austin and hotels, restaurants, etc are bursting at the seams for that. You ain't seen nothing yet if the race gets the numbers thy expect.
      Houston, TX
      2012 Porsche Carrera 991

Vehicles
      German/American/French
      09-26-2012 09:52 PM #32
      http://www.autoblog.com/2012/09/25/e...ix-of-america/

I hate this man so much. He is the cancer that is killing F1.
      No he isn't. Without folks like Bernie, F1 drivers would still be dying like flies.
      “I would request that my body in death be buried not cremated, so that the energy content contained within it gets returned to the earth, so that flora and fauna can dine upon it, just as I have dined upon flora and fauna during my lifetime” - Neil deGrasse Tyson.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      Corrado
      09-27-2012 09:09 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Oliver@triplezoom View Post
      The only reason the race was going to be held in NJ was to have the NYC skyline in the background.
      I was speaking with a Pirelli rep at the NYIAS this year and he said the only reason it wasn't held in NYC was spacing for camera equipment and limited use of helicopters. I am sure there are infinitely more politics behind it, but nevertheless. I am sure NJ was the second option, on account of being able to photograph the NYC skyline. But given the route they currently have planned for F1 NJ, camera crews and helicopter pilots are going to have to get REALLY creative to make NYC the backdrop while filming cars - there is a nice row of trees along all those roads.
      Project Corrado RS: Keep Up
      MSD 12v VR6 coilpack setup/components For Sale: Here
      Other items for sale: Sparco, VR6 HVAC box, VR6 radiators, Mocal Oil Cooler: Here

9. 09-27-2012 09:17 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by The Ninja View Post
      The circuit has 100k permanent and temporary seats. I don't think this includes general admission and according to reports during the last GP the race is close to sold out.
      Yep, seats are all but gone.
      General admission was sold out a while ago.
      At least I can see the track from my house, so if I cannot find a general admission ticket for sale I still can watch.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbscoTT View Post
      It's not just the sheer numbers but the fact that access into the facility is very limited.
      That is why they are using satellite locations for parking and shuttling people in, they are only selling a select number of parking passes($200) which you will need to even get close to the track. I know they were also not allowing walk ups to the track.
      It might not be enough to stop a headache but there is hope.

10. 09-27-2012 10:20 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by GTE77 View Post
      I hate Tilke circuits. The drivers seem to share this. Plus, if you ever been in a track trying to find lap times, its horrible trying to make laps on tracks with huge straights followed by hard 2 gear turns.

I LOVE the fact that Austin in a brand new track in the USA with Elevation changes andnot the regular tilke type track. Leave it to America to build a modern structure with a classic track feel.
      I'm quite sure that track was designed by Tilke as well. But it just might be his masterpiece.

Oh and they need to make that NJ GP happen as well. Think of the shots with the skyline in the background

11. 09-27-2012 10:25 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by enigmatic enthusiast View Post
      I'm quite sure that track was designed by Tilke as well. But it just might be his masterpiece.
      Yeah, he 'designed' the track here but from what I have read he tried to mimic some of the greatest tracks of all times. Using each corner to represent another tracks best feature. So full credit does not go to Tilke. He did seem to make a great drivers track though, and now that they finished paving the final layer the track looks nice.

12. 09-27-2012 10:35 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by Air-over-water View Post
      Yeah, he 'designed' the track here but from what I have read he tried to mimic some of the greatest tracks of all times. Using each corner to represent another tracks best feature. So full credit does not go to Tilke. He did seem to make a great drivers track though, and now that they finished paving the final layer the track looks nice.
      I've heard that as well and he still absolutely deserves all the credit.

Vehicles
      [Current:] 99 Civic [Past:] 84 Rabbit, 85 Quantum, 87 Jetta, 97 Jetta, 96 Passat
      09-28-2012 12:12 PM #38
      FIA still has NJ on the calendar after Friday's World Motor Sport Council in Paris.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlin...2/9/13853.html

Vehicles
      '13 FR-S
      09-28-2012 04:07 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by Air-over-water View Post
      You know how I know you're not an artist?

Anyway, it's obvious (because they said so) that the corners are even copied from other places. But he still designed the track to incorporate those features over the terrain of the land. Hopefully this will lead to people saying "well he finally got one right"...
      Last edited by hushypushy; 09-28-2012 at 04:11 PM.
      Want even more hushypushy? Automotive photography and journalism for the sophisticated gearhead: Star Road. [Updated 7/28]

Vehicles
      2010 DB GTI DSG 2 Door
      09-28-2012 04:41 PM #40
      Istanbul was a good Tilke track, but in a terrible place for a GP....

09-28-2012 06:15 PM #41
      Today the FIA rubber stamped the 2013 race calender. But the NJ is still yet to be confirmed.

17. 09-29-2012 12:44 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post
      You know how I know you're not an artist?

Anyway, it's obvious (because they said so) that the corners are even copied from other places. But he still designed the track to incorporate those features over the terrain of the land. Hopefully this will lead to people saying "well he finally got one right"...
      I know, it is a beautiful track and I am excited to live so close.
      I hope he did finally get one right.

Vehicles
      2003 Miata SE, 2003 Honda S2000, 2007 Honda Fit Sport
      09-29-2012 12:47 PM #43
      well on one hand, it was screwing with my plans to get to le mans in 2013 (it likely would have been the same weekend). on the other hand, f'u bernie! my buddy lives within SIGHT of the proposed track in hoboken, so you ruined my 2013 east coast GP/road trip plans!
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

19. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8, 96 T&C LXi
      09-29-2012 01:10 PM #44
      Did Bernie finally figure out the New Jersey race was in New Jersey?
      “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

Vehicles
      2003 Miata SE, 2003 Honda S2000, 2007 Honda Fit Sport
      09-29-2012 01:17 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      Did Bernie finally figure out the New Jersey race was in New Jersey?
      perhaps the thought of hair gel and jersey shore finally killed it for him.
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

10-19-2012 03:10 AM #46
      It's official, NJ GP postponed until 2014: http://formula-one.speedtv.com/artic...ace-postponed/

22. 10-19-2012 11:48 AM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by mx5er View Post
      It's official, NJ GP postponed until 2014

Well at least we have Austin.

Vehicles
      2012 Honda Accord, Truck, Boat, Quad
      10-19-2012 12:25 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by nicoli View Post
      Wow... Who says Hondas have no torque?

CRV: cranial removal vehicle

10-19-2012 02:00 PM #49
      Another article, more local, is confirming the postponement.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201..._river_default

F1 can make a crap load of $$ in this market. They should do it.

25. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI 2DR DBM
      10-19-2012 03:07 PM #50
      i would much rather go to this race then austin. this could be america's monte carlo/singapore. we need more "street" tracks in f1

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast