Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: MacBook pro vs. MacBook Pro with Retina display

Marine Park/Ozone Park NYC - Current Cars: - '12 Honda Odyssey '14 Autobahn/Nav GLI 6 M/T '01 Accord
      Vehicles
      Previous Cars: '10 Subaru Outback MT '08 BMW 328XI 6MT '08 GTI 6MT '07 Rabbit 5MT - '96 Corolla
      09-26-2012 12:18 PM #1
      Wondering the pros and cons between the two.

these are the model's i'd be considering
      Apple® - MacBook® Pro - 15.4" Display - 8GB Memory - 750GB Hard Drive

Apple® - MacBook® Pro with Retina Display - 15.4" Display - 8GB Memory - 256GB Flash Storage

Prices are similar ($2199) but the new one has retina display, a flash HDD more ports and is lighter.

in terms of performance which would be quicker?

I think the regular macbook would be a work horse with the 750GB hd and an optical drive... thing is how often do i actually use that drive? not too much to be honest, but I like knowing its there....

what are the pros and cons that you can think of?

and I already have a Thinkpad so no need to talk me into a windows 7 PC b/c its cheaper and im being a brand whore

Vehicles
      2015 GTI S, 2006 Miata Sport
      09-26-2012 01:07 PM #2
      IMO both are too expensive, though both are top quality devices - I'm surprised how pricey the non-Retina 15" model is.

How about: user-upgradable HDD/SSD in the regular MBP.
      2015 GTI S | 2006 Miata Sport | 2006 Jetta 2.0T | 2002 Impreza 2.5TS | 1993 Sentra SE-R | 1987 Subaru GL wagon
      dj Lord Bass on Facebook. Stream the new mix Turkey Techno II

3. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      LG G2 / Notes 3 / Nexus 5
      09-26-2012 02:16 PM #3
      If I go Macbook it has to be the rMacbook.

That display is stunning to look at and I was playing the optimized version of Diablo 3 and it looks better than my PC with a GTX 670 with full eyecandy.

09-26-2012 02:53 PM #4
      I also can't believe how expensive the non-retina model is. As far as I can tell, the only thing you really get better than the rMBP is the slightly faster processor (I don't consider the larger HDD to be any sort of upgrade).

The rMBP will feel absolutely cutting edge. The regular model, with a platter drive and 1440x900 resolution on a 15" screen will feel outdated from day 1.

No rMBP's in the Apple refurb store, but worth looking there to save some money.
      1987 Mercedes 190E 16v Cosworth
      1997 Volvo 855 T5
      2010 Volvo XC90
      2013 Prius Plug-In

Marine Park/Ozone Park NYC - Current Cars: - '12 Honda Odyssey '14 Autobahn/Nav GLI 6 M/T '01 Accord
      Vehicles
      Previous Cars: '10 Subaru Outback MT '08 BMW 328XI 6MT '08 GTI 6MT '07 Rabbit 5MT - '96 Corolla
      09-26-2012 03:17 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by zhenya00 View Post
      I also can't believe how expensive the non-retina model is. As far as I can tell, the only thing you really get better than the rMBP is the slightly faster processor (I don't consider the larger HDD to be any sort of upgrade).

The rMBP will feel absolutely cutting edge. The regular model, with a platter drive and 1440x900 resolution on a 15" screen will feel outdated from day 1.

No rMBP's in the Apple refurb store, but worth looking there to save some money.

didn't think of that one.

what i like about the non rMBP is that its user upgradeable meaning if i want to throw a new HDD or RAM in there i can, also it comes with the optical drive while the rMBP does not, that is a separate purchase at $80.00

in terms of spec (not including the monitor) does the rMBP blow the MBP out of the water? I really had my heart set on the retina model but am thinking harder about the older one...

09-26-2012 03:22 PM #6
      True about the upgrade-ability. If I were to go with the regular MBP, I'd at least get the 1680x1050 resolution. I'd also spring for a SSD (not from Apple) as that alone is by far the most important component in making your computer fast these days.
      1997 Volvo 855 T5
      2010 Volvo XC90
      2013 Prius Plug-In

Vehicles
      09-26-2012 03:37 PM #7
      True about the upgrade-ability. If I were to go with the regular MBP, I'd at least get the 1680x1050 resolution. I'd also spring for a SSD (not from Apple) as that alone is by far the most important component in making your computer fast these days.

http://ifixit.org/2753/macbook-pro-w...play-teardown/

The new MacBook Pro with Retina Display is stunning. 0.71″ thick, super-fast processor, and 95 watt hours of battery life. It crams 5.1 million pixels—that’s one pixel for every resident of Singapore—into a 15.4″ screen.
      But even though it packs lots of gee-whiz bells and whistles, we were thoroughly disappointed when we ventured inside. This is, to date, the least repairable laptop we’ve taken apart. Apple has packed all the things we hate into one beautiful little package.
      Teardown highlights (if you can call them that):

• Just like in the iPhone 4/4S (and the MacBook Air), proprietary Pentalobe screws prevent folks from accessing the machine’s internals. That means you need a special screwdriver just to remove the bottom cover.
      • As in the MacBook Air, the RAM is soldered to the logic board. Max out at 16GB now, or forever hold your peace—you can’t upgrade.
      • The proprietary SSD isn’t upgradeable either (yet), as it is similar but not identical to the one in the Air. It is a separate daughtercard, and we’re hopeful we can offer an upgrade in the near future.
      • The lithium-polymer battery is glued rather than screwed into the case, which increases the chances that it’ll break during disassembly. The battery also covers the trackpad cable, which tremendously increases the chance that a user will shear the cable in the battery removal process.
      • The display assembly is completely fused, and there’s no glass protecting it. If anything ever fails inside the display, you will need to replace the entire (extremely expensive) assembly.

Repair Score: 1 / 10
      Laptops are expensive. It’s critical that consumers have the option to repair things that go wrong, as well as upgrade their own hardware to keep it relevant as new technologies roll out. On top of being glued together, the new MacBook Pro is virtually non-upgradeable—making it the first MacBook Pro that will be unable to adapt to future advances in memory and storage technology.
      Despite its dismal repair score, there’s much to be excited about here beyond the Retina display: new ports, an asymmetrical fan, and a Samsung flash memory SSD. Oh, and the screws are replaceable.
      Major chips we found on the logic board:

• NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M GPU
      • Intel Core-i7 3720QM 2.6 GHz processor
      • What appears to be an Intel E208B284 Platform Controller Hub
      • Hynix H5TC2GB3CFR DDR3L SDRAM
      • Intel DSL3510L Thunderbolt controller

8. 09-26-2012 04:04 PM #8
      i didnt need the fancy display, and i wanted to be able to put in 2x hd down the line when warrantee runs out.

pretty happy with the "legacy" 2012 mbp so far. it's fast enough for what i'm doing now and probably will still be in 2-3 years.

YMMV.
      --
      2007 – FF, 5 cyl, 20V NA Silver – The Tractor
      1986 – MR, 4 cyl, 20V ITB Red – The Weed Whacker

Vehicles
      09-26-2012 05:57 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by spoonie View Post
      i didnt need the fancy display, and i wanted to be able to put in 2x hd down the line when warrantee runs out.

pretty happy with the "legacy" 2012 mbp so far. it's fast enough for what i'm doing now and probably will still be in 2-3 years.

YMMV.

i agree with that, especially since on an older macbook i replaced the HDD with a 500GB HDD already replacing the original 160GB.

the SDD HD seems to be proprietary but ifixit.com seems to think that a future application will be possible since its just a modified size SDD. the one thing that is not user upgradeable is the RAM. the RAM is contained completely on the logic board along with the processor. nothing is user upgradeable as of now. in the future, maybe the SDD HD if someone makes one, and possibly the battery pack. but its not looking good since they glue it to the case and the trackpad cable is glued underneath it making removal difficult at best.

what i do like about the rMBP is the display and the full sized HDMI port built in. none of that fancy apple version of a micro HDMI or whatever display port they use. ( no need for an adapter or converter) if i install bootcamp all the ports should hopefully work 100% as well. in case i want to stream videos or movies

10. 09-27-2012 12:35 AM #10
      agree on the ram aspect. i have 16gb in this, and IF they get around to making 16gb modules, i'll have 32.. the software I use can utilize that and ivy bridge supports that much in this machine - allegedly
      --

11. Moderator Oliver@triplezoom's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2007 Mini Cooper S, 2006 Mazda6 GT wagon, 2007 Mazda3 GT sedan
      09-27-2012 11:13 AM #11
      I picked up a base MacBook Pro Retina a few weeks ago and also have a 2011 15" MacBook Pro for work. I've used them side by side and the Retina is by far superior. The SSD has a huge impact on performance. The Retina is around a pound lighter, which is very noticeable. The screen is incredible. For the same price, I think it would be foolish to not go with the Retina. The only thing you're losing out on is hard drive space (which for me isn't a factor; YMMV) and the ability to upgrade the RAM and storage easily. I would argue that 8 GB of RAM and 256 GB of storage is sufficient for a four year life cycle.

12. 09-27-2012 11:17 AM #12
      i grabbed an off-the-shelf SSD for my non-retina. In the end, i could have had the lighter machine w/ the better screen... but i still see a limited (or, overpriced) upgrade path.

to each their own, obviously. The retina is a pretty amazing package.

edit: also, i needed (didnt want to wait for) FW port, Gigabit Ethernet.
      Last edited by spoonie; 09-27-2012 at 11:36 AM.
      --

Vehicles
      '14 Chevy Volt- ALL black ---- '99 XJ 6"-Aussied d44-35" TSL-XRC8
      09-27-2012 11:55 AM #13
      8gb should be enough for most work on a laptop. I dont have a problem with that. 256gb though is a bit on the small side. You will need cloud service for doing any photo work or photoshop work. I work with 500+mb files at work when creating art. That is 100 files on the drive yes, but still its a limit I would not like to have. Especially if you install lots of programs. Adobe CS, plus solidworks, strata 3d, 3d studio. All create pretty large files and are pretty large programs. In a year I was out of space on my 160gb w7 OS drive. I have most stuff on my server but programs, and ancillary files keep adding up.
      Aaron
      PSN: RealPower5

Vehicles
      09-27-2012 12:11 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Power5 View Post
      8gb should be enough for most work on a laptop. I dont have a problem with that. 256gb though is a bit on the small side. You will need cloud service for doing any photo work or photoshop work. I work with 500+mb files at work when creating art. That is 100 files on the drive yes, but still its a limit I would not like to have. Especially if you install lots of programs. Adobe CS, plus solidworks, strata 3d, 3d studio. All create pretty large files and are pretty large programs. In a year I was out of space on my 160gb w7 OS drive. I have most stuff on my server but programs, and ancillary files keep adding up.

more than likely i would get a portable SSD or HDD as far as media storage. keeping only the necessary files on the SSD.

I think i've decided, i'll more than likely go with the rMBP when i save enough pennies. the optical drive is pretty much redundant. I can get a USB stick that will far surpass any storage capacity of a DVD/CD. and using a USB as a bootable item shouldn't be a problem with a Mac.

09-27-2012 01:57 PM #15
      And with the Thunderbolt connection, external drives, even SSD's can be as fast as an internal.
      1997 Volvo 855 T5
      2010 Volvo XC90
      2013 Prius Plug-In

Vehicles
      '12 GLI AB, '08 A3 STi, '03 20thAE GTI #3255, '97 GTI 2.sl0w
      10-01-2012 03:38 PM #16
      ^ This. I've got the upgraded display and an SSD and the machine screams. Even though the rMBP came out 6 months after I bought my MBP, I don't have one bit of buyer's remorse. The only real difference is the display and body design. The performance between the two specs are nominal IMO.
      Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Just not their own facts.

Vehicles
      Generic Golf R
      10-06-2012 02:13 AM #17
      I just picked up a rMBP and while the display is beautiful, the overall internet experience is harmed due to the fact that not all sites are retina display ready. For instance Flickr photos appear severely distorted at their smaller resolutions. Retina-enabled websites are gorgeous but the ones that aren't leave a lot to be desired.

18. Moderator Oliver@triplezoom's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2007 Mini Cooper S, 2006 Mazda6 GT wagon, 2007 Mazda3 GT sedan
      10-06-2012 11:36 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by RU1NED View Post
      Retina-enabled websites are gorgeous but the ones that aren't leave a lot to be desired.
      Which is most sites, unfortunately.

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      10-06-2012 07:31 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Power5 View Post
      256gb though is a bit on the small side. You will need cloud service for doing any photo work or photoshop work.
      Or just an external HD...

Btw- there are 3rd party thunderbolt options now that are coming down in price.

20. 10-07-2012 03:37 PM #20
      If I was dropping that kind of coin (and I thought my MBA was expensive at $1300 ) I'd want to go ahead and get the newest model. Once you see the retina display in the flesh, I don't think the lack of upgradeability will be such a big concern.

10-09-2012 07:34 PM #21
      The retina is a no brainer IMO. Just be sure to order more ram. I had a really hard time talking myself out of getting one. I personally need the airs portability over the horsepower. This thing absolutely screams.