Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Help with EA Sports NHL Series "Be a GM" mode

Vehicles
      That there's an RV, Clark
      09-26-2012 12:42 PM #1
      Just a general question as i'm sure it transcends NHL 09-13.

I recently got NHL 13 for PS3 which is awesome but for the first time I decided to try out "Be A GM" which i've never bothered with in years past.

For the life of me I can't figure out how to free up space in my roster to recruit free agents and rookies? I make them an offer and they reply a day or two later and decline because there is no space on my roster??? How do I ensure there's room for them while still having complete lines?

Trades are a non-issue. How do I simply free up space on my roster in order to allow me space to source new talent? As in years past the menus in the NHL series are brutal, clunky and not very clear with no real guidance as to what you need to do so other things will function.

2. 09-27-2012 03:42 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by Adam144 View Post
      Just a general question as i'm sure it transcends NHL 09-13.

I recently got NHL 13 for PS3 which is awesome but for the first time I decided to try out "Be A GM" which i've never bothered with in years past.

For the life of me I can't figure out how to free up space in my roster to recruit free agents and rookies? I make them an offer and they reply a day or two later and decline because there is no space on my roster??? How do I ensure there's room for them while still having complete lines?

Trades are a non-issue. How do I simply free up space on my roster in order to allow me space to source new talent? As in years past the menus in the NHL series are brutal, clunky and not very clear with no real guidance as to what you need to do so other things will function.

Go to roster moves. I think it's under GM options. You can send guys down to the minors to free up spots.

Sending a 2 way contract player down to the minors will allow you to bring them back up anytime. Sending a 1 way contract player down to the minors means they will have to clear waivers if you want to bring them back up. If they are good some other team will usually snatch them up. So be careful to check what contract they are under.

Also keep your trading block updated. I like getting left handed shots with speed over size. So I put up some good players on my block and I get really interesting offers.
      Last edited by lostmypassword; 09-27-2012 at 03:44 PM.

Vehicles
      09-27-2012 04:06 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by lostmypassword View Post
      Go to roster moves. I think it's under GM options. You can send guys down to the minors to free up spots.

Sending a 2 way contract player down to the minors will allow you to bring them back up anytime. Sending a 1 way contract player down to the minors means they will have to clear waivers if you want to bring them back up. If they are good some other team will usually snatch them up. So be careful to check what contract they are under.

Also keep your trading block updated. I like getting left handed shots with speed over size. So I put up some good players on my block and I get really interesting offers.
      Thanks for the help.

So if I drop the guy to the minors that will free up a spot and then I can just adjust my lines for the next game and leave that roster spot empty?

I'm really enjoying it so far. Just getting used to the clunky layout a little, I understand how most of it works but a lot of it is unclear.

4. 09-27-2012 04:10 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Adam144 View Post
      Thanks for the help.

So if I drop the guy to the minors that will free up a spot and then I can just adjust my lines for the next game and leave that roster spot empty?

I'm really enjoying it so far. Just getting used to the clunky layout a little, I understand how most of it works but a lot of it is unclear.
      yeah just make sure you have the correct amount of skaters in each position. It'll tell you if you are under or over when you try to exit the roster screen.

I'm not sure if the salary hit to your cap goes away when you place a 1 way in the minors, or if it only goes away after they get picked up by another team. I'll have to check.

5. 09-27-2012 09:53 PM #5
      I just started the playoffs with the Wings. I had some room to work with so I signed Daniel Alfredsson, Shane Doan, Mike Ribero, Roman Hamrlik and Stefan Robidas. I tried really hard to get Iginla but his cap hit was way too high. I think it was 7.5.

I thought the playoff tree was interesting esp in the eastern conference. The Leafs finally made the postseason!!!

Vehicles
      09-27-2012 10:53 PM #6
      Haha I thought this was a hockey simulator? No way the Leafs would be there.

Your advice worked, finally getting the hang of all this GM business. I have a little ways to go before the playoffs I'm #1 in the league and it's med February.