Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Stereo install question for mkv

Vehicles
      09 Jetta SE
      09-26-2012 01:16 PM #1
      I am planning on doing an install of a single din stereo in my arm rest to supplemental a tablet in the dash. My question is can I get any single din and just connect the PAC C2R-VW2 and be done with it? Or do I have to get a stereo that says it fits my car?

Vehicles
      2004.5 VW GLi 1.8T
      09-26-2012 03:21 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by bots4444 View Post
      I am planning on doing an install of a single din stereo in my arm rest to supplemental a tablet in the dash. My question is can I get any single din and just connect the PAC C2R-VW2 and be done with it? Or do I have to get a stereo that says it fits my car?
      well given the fact that you are mounting it in a non-traditional spot. it's up to you to make it "fit" but a single-sin will most likely be the easiest. Unless you want a radio you can always do a Bit Ten D to process all the audio from the tablet.
      12v Installation Services: Audio, Alarms/Remote Starts, OEM Integration, etc.
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      Pioneer, Kenwood, Hertz, Audison, Rockford Fosgate

Vehicles
      09 Jetta SE
      09-26-2012 03:35 PM #3
      I should have clarified a little better, I meant the wiring harness. If I get the PAC C2R-VW2 will any radio be able to connect to that?

4. 09-26-2012 04:40 PM #4
      do you have steering wheel controls? if you want to keep those then yes by the pac vw2, if NOT then all you need is a basic vw radio harness. if you want to control the volume through your steering wheel then you need another harness but its like 70$ i opted not to get that for my pioneer avic z3. i also wish i would of known that the same radio harness from a mk4 fits the mk5. let me know if you have any more questions. doing a HU install is easy as heck. took me maybe an hour to wire in mine.
      formerly TVarmy04 & DUBMANG
      SAPPERS LEAD THE WAY

Quote Originally Posted by sirswank View Post
      you're gonna run them regardless, so post pics when they're on. if they look stupid, we'll let you know.

Vehicles
      09 Jetta SE
      09-26-2012 04:59 PM #5
      I do not have steering wheel controls. Im just looking for a generic radio to connect as kinda an amp and pre amp for my tablet.

Vehicles
      2004.5 VW GLi 1.8T
      09-26-2012 05:36 PM #6
      I do not have steering wheel controls. Im just looking for a generic radio to connect as kinda an amp and pre amp for my tablet.
      Well you can use the PAC harness you listed and you won't have to worry about running your own accessory, etc. But in all reality, you're going to have to extend the wiring anyways, so you mind as well buy tje 70-9003 and just run your own accessory.

Vehicles
      09 Jetta SE
      09-27-2012 08:01 AM #7
      Sorry total noob here so please forgive my dumbassary. What do you mean by run your own accessory? I do like the price of that other harness you mentioned though.

Vehicles
      2004.5 VW GLi 1.8T
      09-27-2012 08:54 AM #8
      Sorry total noob here so please forgive my dumbassary. What do you mean by run your own accessory? I do like the price of that other harness you mentioned though.
      The factory accessory, illumination, speed sense, etc. is all ran through CAN-BUS (which is data).

The aftermarket radio requires three connection to turn on: 1. Constant Power (always on - in the factory harness), 2. Ground (in the factory harness), and 3. Accessory Power (switched power on only when the car is on - NOT in the factory harness).

The PAC harness you posted has a small control module that interprets the CAN-BUS and gives the factory accessory, illumination, speed sense, etc. outputs right behind the radio.

The Metra harness I posted does not have this control module and thus (even though there's a red accessory wire in the harness), it doesn't give an accessory output for the radio. "Run your own accessory" references the need to run an accessory wire (switched 12v) from some accessory source in the vehicle (a source that is only on when the car is on), fuse it, and connect it to the aftermarket radio's accessory input (red wire).

9. 09-27-2012 10:44 AM #9
      i think he is right about the ACC wire. as you can see the right side it has the pins in the proper locations.

also dont forget you will need the metra 40-eu10 antenna adapter. i didnt realize i needed this too. you can get this for like $10 at any local radio shop.

then of course you'll need your radio dash kit (the black surround)
      formerly TVarmy04 & DUBMANG
      SAPPERS LEAD THE WAY

Quote Originally Posted by sirswank View Post
      you're gonna run them regardless, so post pics when they're on. if they look stupid, we'll let you know.

Vehicles
      2004.5 VW GLi 1.8T
      09-27-2012 07:09 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by DUB_MANGv2 View Post
      i think he is right about the ACC wire. as you can see the right side it has the pins in the proper locations.

also dont forget you will need the metra 40-eu10 antenna adapter. i didnt realize i needed this too. you can get this for like $10 at any local radio shop.

then of course you'll need your radio dash kit (the black surround)
      I guarantee you that I am right. Yes the 40-EU10 or EU55 (amplified) is needed for AM/FM reception.

Vehicles
      09 Jetta SE
      10-03-2012 10:50 AM #11
      Thank you guys for all the information. I think im going to go with the PAC one just because I don't trust my wiring skills as of yet since this is all new to me. Im more of an engine repair type of guy. I think getting the PAC will make it easier to connect it to the radio that im going to be getting. I started the fabrication of the front dash trim piece to accept the tablet and dock that I will be mounting in there. I will post some pics a little later on.

Vehicles
      09 Jetta SE
      10-03-2012 02:33 PM #12
      Just a little update guys. Just got the front faceplate and did a little trimming and test fitting. Just waiting on the hard case I ordered from ebay and then ill start putting it in permanently. More photos to come.