Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Should I just get a new tranny or what??

1. Member
      09-26-2012 03:57 PM #1
      Car is 1995, OBD1, Auto. 01M with and the transmission code is: APE.

I've had numerous issues, and there has been tinkering..... but now it's just getting worse.
      And I think it's time to just replace it.

Basically when I drive, I have to accelerate at a slow rate, or else the RPM's start climbing, and the car doesn't go anywhere.
      If I accelerate with average acceleration it just rev's up. Although first gear is fairly solid.
      It also shifts very hard between gears. It causes quite the jerk.

Anytime the RPMs start to climb, I either have to remove my foot from the gas, or floor it.
      Flooring it ....gives me full perfect power.

The only thing that is wierd is..... If I unplug sensor G68 and the drive the car. The car drives perfect, BUT!!! .... with G68 unplugged, the shift point is at like 4,500 RPM.

New Tranny??

Vehicles
      85 Jetta TD sold 2001 Jetta Tdi, 2000 Jetta Tdi
      09-28-2012 09:26 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by a3clusters View Post
      The only thing that is wierd is..... If I unplug sensor G68 and the drive the car. The car drives perfect, BUT!!! .... with G68 unplugged, the shift point is at like 4,500 RPM.

there is no way it drives perfect with g68 unplugged. of course shifting at 4500 rpm isn't perfect at all. With the G68 not working the computer will not command an upshift until its necessary to protect the engine from excess rpm. After the code triggers the trans will probably failsafe to high gear starts.

Or maybe the computer see's that its unplugged (I dont know the exact strategy here) and goes to failsafe immediatly.
      Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

3. Member
      09-28-2012 05:18 PM #3
      When I say it drives "perfectly"... I mean the car responds to what ever pressure I put on the gas pedal. Rather than it just over reving, and going no where. And yes it changes gear at about 4,500 RPM. (Maybe a bit higher??)
      Fault comes up saying no signal from G68 in VAGCOM.
      So whether I hit the gas hard or soft, the car goes proportionally.... (With G68 out)

With G68 in... I either must accelerate really slow... or floor it.
      Else the RPM needles climbs and the car goes no where.... And it shifts hard.

When I said perfect... it basically feels that way -->Compared to what I normally get.
      If I could make the shift point lower.... I would just remove G68 and drive it.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2003/VW/1.8T Jetta 5sp Automatic
      09-28-2012 07:36 PM #4
      When I say it drives "perfectly"... I mean the car responds to what ever pressure I put on the gas pedal. Rather than it just over reving, and going no where. And yes it changes gear at about 4,500 RPM. (Maybe a bit higher??)
      Fault comes up saying no signal from G68 in VAGCOM.
      So whether I hit the gas hard or soft, the car goes proportionally.... (With G68 out)

With G68 in... I either must accelerate really slow... or floor it.
      Else the RPM needles climbs and the car goes no where.... And it shifts hard.

When I said perfect... it basically feels that way -->Compared to what I normally get.
      If I could make the shift point lower.... I would just remove G68 and drive it.
      With G68 plugged in, what code(s) do you get?
      If they are implausible signal, maybe the sensor is OK and you need to look some place else.
      If the internals of the trans aren't good, then it will not respond correctly, and TCM will expect a different value than what is actually getting from G68 given all the factors (like vehicle speed, engine RPMs etc).

But G68 is cheaper than a trans or rebuild kit. You could try replacing G68 and see what you get.

5. Member
      09-28-2012 10:15 PM #5
      With G68 plugged in, I was getting this code.

Control Module Part Number: 037 906 258 AE
      Component and/or Version: MOTOR PMC 4
      Software Coding: 0261204018
      Work Shop Code: 2227355905
      2 Faults Found:
      00281 - Vehicle Speed Sensor (G68)
      27-00 - Implausible Signal

A week ago, I cleaned all the connectors into the tranny. The code "Implausible Signal" has not returned.
      I just scanned my car now... no codes.

I replaced G68 with a new dealer part. No difference. Still drives like crap.

6. Member
      10-01-2012 06:26 PM #6
      The other thing I find interesting is....
      Let's say I'm going 45mph... and I'm in DRIVE... The car will start to rev up if I give to much on the gas.
      But, if I put it in 3RD, the tranny responds proportionally with the amount of gas I give it.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      10-01-2012 08:21 PM #7
      With G68 plugged in, I was getting this code.

Control Module Part Number: 037 906 258 AE
      Component and/or Version: MOTOR PMC 4
      Software Coding: 0261204018
      Work Shop Code: 2227355905
      2 Faults Found:
      00281 - Vehicle Speed Sensor (G68)
      27-00 - Implausible Signal

A week ago, I cleaned all the connectors into the tranny. The code "Implausible Signal" has not returned.
      I just scanned my car now... no codes.

I replaced G68 with a new dealer part. No difference. Still drives like crap.
      It says two fault codes found....and you are showing only one, what is the other code showing?

8. Member
      Vehicles
      10-01-2012 08:24 PM #8
      Can you tell if all gears kick in when G68 is unplugged?

9. Member
      10-01-2012 08:39 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by carfreak01 View Post
      It says two fault codes found....and you are showing only one, what is the other code showing?
      The other was no RPM signal.... because the car was off. I didn't start the car because it was in the garage.

10. Member
      10-01-2012 08:43 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by carfreak01 View Post
      Can you tell if all gears kick in when G68 is unplugged?
      I think so,
      If I accelerate from 0 to 80mph... I believe all gears happen. They just change at high RPM.
      I had VAG on while testing G68 once... but it's update is slow compared to what the car is actually doing.
      If I recall correctly.... I think I saw 1H, 2H, 3H... and then 4H (With G68 out).

Is there something I can look for with G68 out in VAGCOM?

11. Member
      Vehicles
      10-02-2012 12:51 PM #11
      The other was no RPM signal.... because the car was off. I didn't start the car because it was in the garage.
      Are you saying that car being off triggered a fault code? I don't think this is normal.

Can you post what VAG COM displayed when you scanned the TCM?

12. Member
      10-02-2012 01:23 PM #12
      No, thats not what I'm saying at all. The car is in the garage... I don't want the exhaust fumes.
      so I didn't start it.

When the car is off during a scan, a "NO RPM" signal will be pop up. Thats expected.

The only fault that came up was the G68. I only posted that to save room on the post, and get to the point. I just scanned the car now... no faults in any module. Car still drives like crap.

13. Member
      10-04-2012 09:18 PM #13
      Just wondering if there were any other thoughts... questions?
      My tranny is still messed up

14. Member
      10-15-2012 10:24 PM #14
      No codes. Tranny still poop