Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)

View Poll Results: Whats your favorite GTI

Voters
    662. You may not vote on this poll
    • mk1

141 21.30%
    • mk2

202 30.51%
    • mk3

64 9.67%
    • mk4

72 10.88%
    • mk5

89 13.44%
    • mk6

72 10.88%
    • mk7

22 3.32%
    Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats your fav generation GTI and, why?

Vehicles
      90 Calypso Green VW Jetta Gli 16v(Vr6) Retired: 97 VW GTI VR6
      09-26-2012 11:36 PM #106
      Quote Originally Posted by C4 A6 View Post
      To be honest, the shape of the bodies of the MkIII and MkIV are pretty much the same.

I love when dubbers use this argument but then turn around and bash Hondas for being nothing but noisy. GTIs aren't all that fast, either, and they do make a lot of noise. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Harlequin is not a color, nor was it the best. In fact, it was probably one of the dumbest things any automaker has done as a color option.

Base, 1.8T, GTI, and what else? VR6? Interior options? LOLWUT.

It's not a Scion, you can't "option it out" to your hearts content.

VWs don't have style, sorry.

your all wrong on this. i was a previous honda owner. owned a eg bubble, sedan and vw are just so much better built then any of those. my mk3 just feels soo much stiffer and well balance. just doesnt flex like hondas do. doesnt feel like it going to fall apart. omg and when my Vr roars i wet my pants. after i switch a honda just sounds like a stupid chihuahua dog that just barks and barks and doesnt shut up. i can even count how many hondas ive embarrased (and just minor mods). i love when i go to meets and the honda guys just stare me down. and when i had my honda it would just be like. "oh its just another honda". oh and once Vw started the stanced look. stretched tires wide rims. slammed. here comes honda owners doing the same.

Vehicles
      Jaggernaut & egg of robin
      09-26-2012 11:44 PM #107
      Get off your high horse bozo. Your Honda's / Acura's exude less style, class, and refinement than ANYTHING comparable, of the same generation offered by VW in the last 35 yrs; model for model.

Heck; your car is most coveted by an inner city demographic that is less than desirable to say the least.
      Wow. More garbage, opinion taken as fact, posting. And "inner city demographic"? Are you really going to be so crass as to judge a car by a common owner base? If i did the same, i wouldn't be very pro-vw to say the least! But hey, this was a thread about OPINIONS over one's favorite VW GTI before the attempts at generating a honda vs vw idiotfest.
      '86 Jaguar xj-s 5.3HE coupe, cobalt blue metallic/blue
      '08 Hyundai Accent SE hatch, ice blue/gray
      Bisixually disposed, lucas charged and coventry clothed

3. Banned
      09-26-2012 11:51 PM #108
      Quote Originally Posted by tjeff89 View Post
      your all wrong on this. i was a previous honda owner. owned a eg bubble, sedan and vw are just so much better built then any of those.
      CELs every 5 miles, coil packs taking a ****, and electrical gremlins = better built? What planet are you from?

my mk3 just feels soo much stiffer and well balance. just doesnt flex like hondas do. doesnt feel like it going to fall apart.
      I don't think people praise VWs for their handling when Honda is in the same discussion, especially the MkIIIs, which were the biggest understeering pigs out of all the Golf generations.

omg and when my Vr roars i wet my pants. after i switch a honda just sounds like a stupid chihuahua dog that just barks and barks and doesnt shut up.
      OMG VR! If you think about it are inefficient engines. I mean, 170 and 170 out of a 2.8L 6 cyl? I mean come on, there are 2.4L 4 cyls that make more power and are more fuel efficient. Exhaust note is subjective and adds NOTHING to the discussion, and to base your claim that the VR is a better engine just because it sounds better to you is more moronic than ZACHER3 claiming that the MkIII is the best Golf.

i can even count how many hondas ive embarrased (and just minor mods). i love when i go to meets and the honda guys just stare me down. and when i had my honda it would just be like. "oh its just another honda".
      confirmed, you are a toolbag. Wow, you can beat a single cam making 115hp with your 170hp. Well no ****, Sherlock. Don't even need a high school GED to figure that one out.

oh and once Vw started the stanced look. stretched tires wide rims. slammed. here comes honda owners doing the same.
      This is my favorite line of this post. VWs did not start the "stance" look, sorry. They just all did it because they realized that no matter how much money they dumped into their engines and performance suspensions, the cheaper Japanese cars were still owning their asses on the race track AND drag strip.

Vehicles
      81 Scirocco S
      09-26-2012 11:53 PM #109
      inb4 another zacher thread gets locked.
      Demokratikally Elekted Director of Espionage and Identity Theft and Minister of post-progressive-technical-melodic-avant-garde-metal for the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      Oh mellberg is cool, but his car certainly isn't helping that happen.
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkEnergist View Post
      u jus made bc 2 bitches are sweatin me.

Vehicles
      09-27-2012 12:04 AM #110
      CELs every 5 miles, coil packs taking a ****, and electrical gremlins = better built? What planet are you from?

I don't think people praise VWs for their handling when Honda is in the same discussion, especially the MkIIIs, which were the biggest understeering pigs out of all the Golf generations.

OMG VR! If you think about it are inefficient engines. I mean, 170 and 170 out of a 2.8L 6 cyl? I mean come on, there are 2.4L 4 cyls that make more power and are more fuel efficient. Exhaust note is subjective and adds NOTHING to the discussion, and to base your claim that the VR is a better engine just because it sounds better to you is more moronic than ZACHER3 claiming that the MkIII is the best Golf.

confirmed, you are a toolbag. Wow, you can beat a single cam making 115hp with your 170hp. Well no ****, Sherlock. Don't even need a high school GED to figure that one out.

This is my favorite line of this post. VWs did not start the "stance" look, sorry. They just all did it because they realized that no matter how much money they dumped into their engines and performance suspensions, the cheaper Japanese cars were still owning their asses on the race track AND drag strip.
      Hondas have been in the racing scene longer then VWs. Most of these vw owners dont care on how fast there cars are. There more into showing class. I live in NY and im maybe 1 of the probally tow VW people that actually drive to a street race. Y because a honda is a cheaper car to build and fix. Hondas have so many more motor build options then a vw does. I know because i built my 10.8 sec eg b serious all motor myself. And i never said vw started the "stance scene". I spend less money building building my honda then i am actually fixing my VW. Basically meaning a vw aint for a broke *****. And the harlo was never a color option. And by built better i meant body wise. I can actually close my doors on my car and not feel like there gonna fall off. Or carry around a box of zip ties to tie **** together. ( like most hondas do). Im sorry i like hondas but they just feels soo cheap.

- Ooman
      Low and Fast!!!

Vehicles
      My driveway looks like a shady used car lot
      09-27-2012 12:04 AM #111
      *Rampant Fanboyism*
      Dude, tone it down. You're getting worse than Zacher.
      77 F100, 83 244, 92 Integra

7. Banned
      09-27-2012 12:09 AM #112
      And i never said vw started the "stance scene".
      oh and once Vw started the stanced look. stretched tires wide rims. slammed.
      Look and scene are essentially interchangeable in this case because a look starts a scene, and a scene is part of the look.

So, yes, you did.

Next?

Quote Originally Posted by 16v_43v3r View Post
      Dude, tone it down. You're getting worse than Zacher.
      Logic and reasoning and actual fact vs. the rantings of delusional VW blowhards
      Science vs. Church

Come on, man.

Vehicles
      My driveway looks like a shady used car lot
      09-27-2012 12:10 AM #113
      Logic and reasoning and actual fact vs. the rantings of delusional VW blowhards
      Science vs. Church

Come on, man.
      I'm not really saying you're wrong. And I'm not really a VW fan, but bashing VW makes you no better than them.
      77 F100, 83 244, 92 Integra

Vehicles
      Jaggernaut & egg of robin
      09-27-2012 12:12 AM #114
      Hondas have been in the racing scene longer then VWs

VWs once came without coolant ya know, and were aiming at the v8 domestics at the dragstrip before many TCLers were even born. If you two are going to continue with the rampant fanboyism, y'all could at least try to appear to know what you're talking about as you're doing a terrible job at the moment.
      '86 Jaguar xj-s 5.3HE coupe, cobalt blue metallic/blue
      '08 Hyundai Accent SE hatch, ice blue/gray
      Bisixually disposed, lucas charged and coventry clothed

10. Banned
      09-27-2012 12:20 AM #115
      Quote Originally Posted by bustedbucket View Post

VWs once came without coolant ya know, and were aiming at the v8 domestics at the dragstrip before many TCLers were even born. If you two are going to continue with the rampant fanboyism, y'all could at least try to appear to know what you're talking about as you're doing a terrible job at the moment.
      Who said anything about who started racing first?

11. Member
      09-27-2012 12:31 AM #116
      OMG VR! If you think about it are inefficient engines. I mean, 170 and 170 out of a 2.8L 6 cyl? I mean come on, there are 2.4L 4 cyls that make more power and are more fuel efficient.
      They were also designed about 15 years before the K24. I'm no fanboi, I appreciate all makes and models but the VR6 inefficient? Yes...they were single cam motors despite the marketing. They weren't designed to be efficient (per se), they were designed to fit in the spot that a 4 cylinder motor was only capable of fitting prior and they did that with brilliance. Sure, sacrifices were made at the expense of head flow but that doesn't mean its still not a great motor. It has won awards and is the basis to the engine that powers the Veyron and countless other configurations.

That beings said, mKII GTIs...with VR6 engines ftw.

Vehicles
      09-27-2012 12:34 AM #117
      Quote Originally Posted by darren p. View Post
      They were also designed about 15 years before the K24. I'm no fanboi, I appreciate all makes and models but the VR6 inefficient? Yes...they were single cam motors despite the marketing. They weren't designed to be efficient (per se), they were designed to fit in the spot that a 4 cylinder motor was only capable of fitting prior and they did that with brilliance. Sure, sacrifices were made at the expense of head flow but that doesn't mean its still not a great motor. It has won awards and is the basis to the engine that powers the Veyron and countless other configurations.

i like this reply. except for that last comment
      Low and Fast!!!

Vehicles
      06 MKV GLI
      09-27-2012 12:35 AM #118
      mkv for me. Thats when vw really stepped up their game.

2.0t
      Bi-xenons Standard
      First year Climate control
      Steering buttons
      DSG, just to name a few

Mk6 is good also but the same car almost in a different body.

Vehicles
      09-27-2012 12:36 AM #119
      Quote Originally Posted by bustedbucket View Post

no one ever stated who started racing first. all i said was that hondas have alot of more options for builds. motor and parts.as they d series motors, b series motors, k series motors j series motor and the f series. and then theres alot more companys that actually support hondas and there builds. so many different options. and things to do. honda owners just been putting more support in the racing scene.
      Low and Fast!!!

Vehicles
      06 VW GTI 2.0T FSi BMP 06 Subaru Impreza 1998 VW Jetta VR6 Artic White 1998 Ginster GTI
      09-27-2012 12:43 AM #120
      I just asked my roommate (who has no interest in cars, so a perfect blind candidate) what he thought of the Harlequin, and he said it looked dumb.
      Um maybe BECAUSE YOUR ROOMMATE DOESN'T LIKE CARS lol

You can show him any car and he prob couldn't care less. Assuming you even have a roommate. As for honda VS vw style. Come on all the new Hondas are Ugly as f*ck, same with Acuras. Not going to say they weren't good looking Honda's and Acuras but the new stuff blahh.
      New Honda Accord Crossover and it cost over 40k gtfo.
      VW wins in style until Honda/acura fires all their designers and earns their respect back.
      Back on topic

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

Vehicles
      '55 Ford 351C, '80 Rabbit AAZ
      09-27-2012 12:50 AM #121
      Its a tough choice.

We all know VW's last model year was 1992.

The A2 is wonderful with that 16v motor, but the A1 is the original and more of a drivers car.

So I pick the best of both worlds.

They didn't call it a GTI though...shame on VW.

Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.

Vehicles
      MK4 GTI VR6(rip)/ Gen2 Camaro Z28/ MK2 Jetta(rip)/S2 Scirocco 16v/S2 Scirocco/D2 S8/ '95 GMC
      09-27-2012 01:05 AM #122
      Hondas have been in the racing scene longer then VWs. Most of these vw owners dont care on how fast there cars are. There more into showing class. I live in NY and im maybe 1 of the probally tow VW people that actually drive to a street race. Y because a honda is a cheaper car to build and fix. Hondas have so many more motor build options then a vw does. I know because i built my 10.8 sec eg b serious all motor myself. And i never said vw started the "stance scene". I spend less money building building my honda then i am actually fixing my VW. Basically meaning a vw aint for a broke *****. And the harlo was never a color option. And by built better i meant body wise. I can actually close my doors on my car and not feel like there gonna fall off. Or carry around a box of zip ties to tie **** together. ( like most hondas do). Im sorry i like hondas but they just feels soo cheap.

- Ooman
      You may want to check the spelling in your sig.... Just sayin'

Vehicles
      09-27-2012 01:09 AM #123
      Quote Originally Posted by 71camaro View Post
      You may want to check the spelling in your sig.... Just sayin'
      yes i know im just to lazy to change it.
      Low and Fast!!!

Vehicles
      MK4 GTI VR6(rip)/ Gen2 Camaro Z28/ MK2 Jetta(rip)/S2 Scirocco 16v/S2 Scirocco/D2 S8/ '95 GMC
      09-27-2012 01:10 AM #124
      yes i know im just to lazy to change it.
      Yes, I know, I'm just too lazy to change it.

20. Banned
      09-27-2012 01:18 AM #125
      Quote Originally Posted by MKVmyfast View Post
      Um maybe BECAUSE YOUR ROOMMATE DOESN'T LIKE CARS lol

You can show him any car and he prob couldn't care less. Assuming you even have a roommate.
      Or I could ask my good friend who is a VW and overall German car nut about the Harlequin and he'll say the same thing (I've already had such a discussion with him.)

Much butthurt over calling a stupid, tacky looking VW exactly what it is

Vehicles
      09-27-2012 01:24 AM #126
      Or I could ask my good friend who is a VW and overall German car nut about the Harlequin and he'll say the same thing (I've already had such a discussion with him.)

Much butthurt over calling a stupid, tacky looking VW exactly what it is
      I personally like the Harlequin, but I can also fully understand why others do not. What I can't understand is why people can't understand that your opinion- and apparently that of your friends- is yours and therefore is yours to determine. Just like you'd be hard-pressed to make them feel it is tacky, they would have equal difficulty trying to make you like the car.

I understand liking something and being passionate, but that is greatly different from being a fanboy. I like the VR6, and I like how it sounds, and I understand why it was designed in the manner it was, but to defend it the way many people here do... Wow... It's not efficient and it's an aged design. Not bad things in all cases, but understand why others dislike it too.

22. Banned
      09-27-2012 01:24 AM #127
      Quote Originally Posted by darren p. View Post

Okay fine, the K24 came out in 04.

What about the H22A from the mid 90s (same time period) making 20 more HP but only ~10 less tq out of a 2.2L?

I'm not saying the VR is bad, but it's not the god engine as many on here make it out to be. I'd sooner consider an offering from Honda or Ferrari or Porsche (pre-buyout) or BMW or Nissan or Toyota or Chevorlet before VW.
      Last edited by C4 A6; 09-27-2012 at 01:28 AM.

Vehicles
      05 S2000
      09-27-2012 01:25 AM #128
      Never really cared for the GTI. I guess MK4 for the sweet sounding VR6?
      Looks wise I like the MK5 the best.

Vehicles
      E24, E24, W126
      09-27-2012 01:37 AM #129
      Hi.

This thread is about which GTI you like the most.

So stay on topic.

Thanks.

Vehicles
      3 MK3 GTI VR6'''s...
      09-27-2012 01:49 AM #130
      Quote Originally Posted by MylesPH1 View Post
      Hi.

This thread is about which GTI you like the most.

So stay on topic.

Thanks.
      Geld und Macht bringt korruption!!!
      Von allen je gebauten volkswagens,steht man Kopf über den rest,den mk3 golf VR6

"stop telling lies about me, and ill stop telling the truth about you"...MD.
      WWW.1stVWparts.com

Vehicles
      E24, E24, W126
      09-27-2012 01:58 AM #131
      OP I appreciate your enthusiasm for your MK3, but I owned a '95 Golf Sport, and a '97 Windsor Blue GTI VR6... Neither of which were as good as my Tropic Orange 2000 GTI GLX. And none of them were as good as my buddy's MkVI, and none of them hold a candle to a properly sorted Mk2 2.0 GTI 16v with big bumpers.

But that's just my opinion.

Vehicles
      VW
      09-27-2012 02:32 AM #132
      It would be hard choice between A1 and A2.
      A1 is light,raw and fun.Add ABA to it, and its hell of a car.

A2 is perfection of mk1 idea. 16V,big bumpers,borbet Type A

A4 is in 3rd place. A side all dubbers,neva loose,bs problems its a really nice car. Interior is best im class adn its time, tune friendly engine and slick styling.
      2.1T 400hp

(same car)

A3 is probably worse of the bunch. It was a weird time for VW.
      A5 sign that VW is getting back on right track w reliability etc. A6 is redesign and improved A6.
      "Your pants too tight,your wheels too bright"

Vehicles
      VW
      09-27-2012 02:50 AM #133

What about the H22A from the mid 90s (same time period) making 20 more HP but only ~10 less tq out of a 2.2L?

I'm not saying the VR is bad, but it's not the god engine as many on here make it out to be. I'd sooner consider an offering from Honda or Ferrari or Porsche (pre-buyout) or BMW or Nissan or Toyota or Chevorlet before VW.
      What is a VW thread w out C4 A6. I dont get it,why do you try so hard??
      Its a "fav GTI" not Honda thread. We know you love VW, but try hard to mask it.

VW had their sh!t together in the 80s and produced some cool cars. They kinda lost their way thru mid 90s. Came back,styling wise w mk4s but had a lot off issues.
      Honda had a great decade in 90s. Started messing up mid 2000s and is still trying to find their way back. Plus they do look cheap as hell. Awsome engines though
      "Your pants too tight,your wheels too bright"

Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      09-27-2012 06:00 AM #134
      MkVII.

More power, ~50ft-lbs more torque, front LSD, and ~200lbs lighter than the MkVI. What's not to like? Well, perhaps the red stripe, but that is easily fixed.

[images by JJ-R32]
      Aung San Suu Kyi

Vehicles
      Mercedes e55 AMG, e30 vert
      09-27-2012 07:29 AM #135
      mk2

31. 09-27-2012 07:58 AM #136
      Quote Originally Posted by feels_road View Post
      MkVII.

What's not to like?

Um, all the black plastic chicken wire? Looks the same as the mark 6.
      Quote Originally Posted by Aseras View Post
      I got the (RX8) engine replaced at 112K miles not because it failed but because I hit a pig on the interstate.

Vehicles
      NB Miata
      09-27-2012 08:04 AM #137
      From my favorite to least favorite, excluding the Mk7 because it's just too new to pass judgment:

Mk2
      Mk1
      Mk5
      Mk6
      Mk3
      A kick in the nuts
      Mk4
      Splinter - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      I don't practice llanteria

Vehicles
      2010 Mazda6 GT-I4
      09-27-2012 08:16 AM #138
      The collective IQ of TCL seems to have dropped with this thread. Where did these people come from, the "Mk __" forums?

34. 09-27-2012 08:56 AM #139
      I do not like one particular generation over another, all I can say is I prefer any that were build before 1995.
      So A1, A2 and early A3s. After OBDII was equipped they became a hassle.

35. 09-27-2012 08:59 AM #140

Somehow they run about the same 1/4 mile stock and modded. I'm seeing mostly 14s for bolt on Preludes and VRs alike.
      I'm really just here for the pancakes.
      I'm Sorry Hachi... I love you.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast