72 10.88%
    • mk5

89 13.44%
    • mk6

72 10.88%
    • mk7

22 3.32%
    Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats your fav generation GTI and, why?

Vehicles
      06 VW GTI 2.0T FSi BMP 06 Subaru Impreza 1998 VW Jetta VR6 Artic White 1998 Ginster GTI
      09-28-2012 12:37 AM #276
      Quote Originally Posted by 8716vrocco View Post
      After owning one the Mk2 is by far my favorite. Mk1 is a close second though, both are timeless
      Only the mk3 is timless Lmao
      Yes I'm kidding. It's an insider to a certain thread
      If you would like to know which one PM me lol its worth it!

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

Vehicles
      06 VW GTI 2.0T FSi BMP 06 Subaru Impreza 1998 VW Jetta VR6 Artic White 1998 Ginster GTI
      09-28-2012 12:40 AM #277
      Quote Originally Posted by r_fostoria View Post
      I means that any hatchback will only ever be mildly pleasant looking. It'll never really turn heads unless it's something crazy like a Renault 5 Turbo. Park a MkIII next to an XKE and it'll just blend into the background.
      I totally agree with you and I own tow mk3's. Only mk3 in my opinion that sticks out like a sore thumb is the Harli and we all know why that is
      That car will always get look no matter where it goes, but any other mk3. Nah I get a few thumbs up every once in a while from strangers but if an exotic passed bye no ****ing way would anyone even look at my car

09-28-2012 12:41 AM #278
      does it affect your credibility that you used to say these same things about corrados and mkiis when you were "into" them? (which you similarly spent more time polishing and photographing than driving.) or is that just an evolving personal taste thing? because, as the empirical results of this poll should have clearly demonstrated to you by now, there is no accounting for your personal taste.

trying. you're doing it too hard.

the best mkiii ever -- the only one of any significant note -- is the black race shop car that was kicking azs and taking names way back when. hint: joe wasn't worried about option codes or airbags. compare the mkis and mkiis -- and even some of the infamous mkivs -- to the mkiiis you usually see for sale. the mkiiis are almost always abused to the last edge of death. not exactly a ringing endorsement of their previous owners' love. the base cars were pure junk, and the VR cars were just painful reminders of what could have / should have been.

Vehicles
      09 VW Gti
      09-28-2012 12:53 AM #279
      This thread needs moar MK5 love...

Vehicles
      09-28-2012 01:26 AM #280
      ^^^^^ last bmp mkv remind me of mine

6. 09-28-2012 01:47 AM #281
      says the MK1, can't beat the classic.
      "I'm Johlsson, what more can I say..."

Quote Originally Posted by vwstadt, bout' my little Sofine
      Not since I was 8years old and just seen my first Playboy have I been so hypnotized by something. F'ing gorgeous.

Vehicles
      '15 Mustang GT
      09-28-2012 02:00 AM #282
      In stock unmolested form I like the new MK7 allot, but If I could have it my way then a wide body MK2 with a VR6T and quattro swap would make my day
      Quote Originally Posted by Biff Beltsander View Post
      It's one of those wonder products. In this case it was actually compressed freeze dried Yak Jizz. I tried making one at home yet I only have two yaks myself.

8. 09-28-2012 02:03 AM #283
      MKV >>>

VW brought back the sort-of aggressive styling. I regret getting rid of mine everyday

Vehicles
      2013 Subaru WRX, 2010 Nissan Sentra aka THE M3 DESTROYER
      09-28-2012 02:39 AM #284
      Quote Originally Posted by VWFSIB6 View Post
      MKV >>>

VW brought back the sort-of aggressive styling. I regret getting rid of mine everyday
      Agreed, I like the MkV's aggressive look.

Seriously, anyone who has owned a MKV knows how solid they are. The interior is unbeatable.
      - mikey

"It's not a real build until there's Plasti Dip involved."

Vehicles
      2013 Subaru WRX, 2010 Nissan Sentra aka THE M3 DESTROYER
      09-28-2012 02:56 AM #285
      Quote Originally Posted by Rod Ratio View Post
      The mk4 is touted as a POS, while the Volvo's are touted as uber reliable. Why is this? Simple. The Volvo owners are more religious with their maintenance, and take better care of their cars.
      Last edited by thebanker; 09-28-2012 at 03:11 AM.
      - mikey

"It's not a real build until there's Plasti Dip involved."

Vehicles
      1996 VW GTI, 2005 Forester XT
      09-28-2012 03:58 AM #286
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      Mk2, in 2.0 16v form.

The Mk3 is a big fat slug. Worst GTI by far (that honor would otherwise go to the Mk4, but the GTI 337 and 20th saved it).
      Quote Originally Posted by euromaxituning View Post
      1992 GTI 16V & 2003-up 1.8T (180hp)
      Quote Originally Posted by 16v_43v3r View Post

And the only answer is the MK2 in 16v form. Best engine, best body, best interior.
      Quote Originally Posted by Waarp View Post
      Mark 2 all the way. 16V. Best mix of character, decent power, and lightweight.
      Quote Originally Posted by greatfox View Post
      I'm not surprised the MK2 is winning. I've driven all generations of GTI, and none were as fun as the MK2 16v. I really miss mine
      Quote Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
      GTI Mk2 16v is the one that stirred the most emotions and is most engaging. It still felt 'raw' and exciting. It was a bit ugly, though (I prefer the Jetta GLI).
      Quote Originally Posted by SciroccoOhio View Post
      ..The 2l 16v is one of my favorite motors ever. I dont particularly dislike mk3s but for me, they are the most unnattractive and kind of boring.
      Quote Originally Posted by Jedidub View Post
      MKII I love the looks the 2.0 16v is a marvelous engine, and the options were great on these cars.

The mk3 is to GTI's what the mustang II is to the mustang lineage. What a horribly sh!tty car.
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      Mk2, in 2.0 16v form.

The Mk3 is a big fat slug. Worst GTI by far (that honor would otherwise go to the Mk4, but the GTI 337 and 20th saved it).

Last edited by koston.; 09-28-2012 at 04:02 AM.
      Shutup and drive yo cah'!

12. 09-28-2012 07:31 AM #287
      I find it odd that the 01-08 Volvo V70-S60 has the exact same soft touch material, from the same manufacturer, and noone complains about it.. ever.

The 01-08 V70-S60 is also wired with the SAME Bosch me7 ecu, and electronics, and consequently has a similar fickle cel, etc. Noone complains about it.

The mk4 is touted as a POS, while the Volvo's are touted as uber reliable. Why is this? Simple. The Volvo owners are more religious with their maintenance, and take better care of their cars.
      TBH, I think it's more of a reputation thing. Volvos have a rep for being well made and reliable. VW doesn't. My family has both car in it and I agree see the interior finish flaking in spots.

It's like when Porsche owners have consistent issues. No one calls it a POS **** because it's a Porsche.

In all seriousness, most of the opinions in here are half-joking hyperbole.
      I'm really just here for the pancakes.
      I'm Sorry Hachi... I love you.

Vehicles
      a Nissan
      09-28-2012 07:35 AM #288
      mk7 because they added power and lightness

14. 09-28-2012 07:44 AM #289
      Quote Originally Posted by roadtripper View Post
      does it affect your credibility that you used to say these same things about corrados and mkiis when you were "into" them? (which you similarly spent more time polishing and photographing than driving.) or is that just an evolving personal taste thing? because, as the empirical results of this poll should have clearly demonstrated to you by now, there is no accounting for your personal taste.

trying. you're doing it too hard.

the best mkiii ever -- the only one of any significant note -- is the black race shop car that was kicking azs and taking names way back when. hint: joe wasn't worried about option codes or airbags. compare the mkis and mkiis -- and even some of the infamous mkivs -- to the mkiiis you usually see for sale. the mkiiis are almost always abused to the last edge of death. not exactly a ringing endorsement of their previous owners' love. the base cars were pure junk, and the VR cars were just painful reminders of what could have / should have been.

Seriously? I look in the classified every so often for Is and IIs and they're all pretty much clapped out. While I agree on the Race Shop cars and cars built like them,(and there are a lot more like that than just Joe P's) they're all old cars. What do you expect? I'd honestly say, though, that it's a bit easier to find a clean MKIII, vs a I or II due to nothing more than age and the number built.
      I'm really just here for the pancakes.
      I'm Sorry Hachi... I love you.

15. 09-28-2012 09:27 AM #290
      Quote Originally Posted by crannky View Post
      I'd honestly say, though, that it's a bit easier to find a clean MKIII, vs a I or II due to nothing more than age and the number built.
      Its MUCH easier to find a rust free mk2, than a rust free mk3; although common sense would dictate the contrary.

Im dead serious. Most of the so called clean mk3's that you see for sale have badly perforated floor pans, and rocker panels.
      Quote Originally Posted by gdoggmoney View Post
      There's been too much butt sniffing before this dog fight.
      PagPartsTurbo www.speeding-g60.com INTEGRATEDengineering

16. 09-28-2012 09:38 AM #291
      Mk2 is my favorite

Mk3 sucked the most
      GLi : M3 : CX5
      OSD#2

Vehicles
      3 MK3 GTI VR6'''s...
      09-28-2012 10:21 AM #292
      Its MUCH easier to find a rust free mk2, than a rust free mk3; although common sense would dictate the contrary.

Im dead serious. Most of the so called clean mk3's that you see for sale have badly perforated floor pans, and rocker panels.
      my mk3 is original, and 100 percent rust free, and has perfect rockers...You DO have to buy from the west coast if you want a clean mk3, but that is true for any vintage golf.There are a lot out there, but the ones that are in the same condition as mine, the owners dont want to sell them, so all your left with are the beat examples.
      Geld und Macht bringt korruption!!!
      Von allen je gebauten volkswagens,steht man Kopf über den rest,den mk3 golf VR6

"stop telling lies about me, and ill stop telling the truth about you"...MD.
      WWW.1stVWparts.com

18. 09-28-2012 10:52 AM #293
      I've owned every MK up to the MKV. I love my MKV for the smooth power, but my favorite car was a 1991 GTI. It had the lowely 8v engine, but it was fun to drive, looked the part and never let me down. I wish I had kept it.
      2012 GLI - Autobahn edition
      ST X coil overs,Unibrace UB, Carbonio/APR intake, S3 short shift kit with new bushings, 034 RSB, LED DRLs, and LaminX fog covers

Vehicles
      90 Calypso Green VW Jetta Gli 16v(Vr6) Retired: 97 VW GTI VR6
      09-28-2012 03:06 PM #294
      I dont get it. How everyone says that the mk4, mk5 and mk6 are sooooooo much better then the mk3, performence wise and confortability. Well obviously. Its a newer car. I dont think vw is going to make a new car worse then the previous. Wouldn't that be stupid. One guy was comparing the heights of the cars. The mk3 to the mk6. -_______- are you f..... Serious. Which older car didnt look like it was made for off roading. *facepalm. I like all Vw's (except mk4) but i just prefer the mk3 cuz of its options and different looks and ideas.

- Oohman
      Low and Fast!!!

Vehicles
      Bent M
      09-28-2012 03:36 PM #295
      1) MKV (Looked Japanese, but brought back true GTI performance, very fast, 4-door available, plaid seats, etc. Just a great car)
      2) MKII (Classic. 16v please.)
      3) MKIV (slug. But a really nice looking one, particularly in special edition form. Great interior, if a bit breakable. Introduce small factory-turbocharged cars to the GTI lineup).
      4) MKVI (like the MKV, but looks better. I think that the interior was a step back, though).
      5) MKI (the original. But compared to the MKII, it's hard to really get excited over a MKI).
      6) [empty]
      7) [empty]
      8) [empty]
      9) [empty]
      10) MKIII (ugly and plain looking at a time when dynamic and flowing cars were the norm. 8v engine was terrible. Interior was pretty bad looking. The VR6 was a great introduction, but even that did not handle so great. The MKIII was essentially confused -- it was trying to be a lightweight oldschool GTI but also be a modern, heavy car wtih modern conveniences. The MKIV had this problem, too, but not nearly as bad).

MKVII - Not out yet. How should I know?
      I TCL.

Vehicles
      04 R32
      09-28-2012 04:22 PM #296
      Quote Originally Posted by VWFSIB6 View Post
      MKV >>>

As far as the fun factor yes I regret getting rid of mine. Reliability was horrible though, but it was an 06 FSI...
      Heart pumping antifreeze as I stand here.

Lloyd Banks

Vehicles
      04 R32
      09-28-2012 04:24 PM #297
      Quote Originally Posted by ZACHER3tuning View Post
      if this was a popularity contest, the mk3 gti vr6 would win.
      if this was a beauty contest, the mk3 gti vr6 would win.
      if this is about best handling, then i fold, mk2.
      You need to tone it down.

Lloyd Banks

Vehicles
      04 R32
      09-28-2012 04:30 PM #298
      Quote Originally Posted by MKVmyfast View Post
      Were on "the car lounge" not vortex lol
      Unless your admitting your a vortex member???

Im pretty sure he loves VW. Shows up one every thread with hate, I dont think he misses one lol.

Lloyd Banks

Vehicles
      09 VW Gti
      09-28-2012 04:39 PM #299
      Quote Originally Posted by volkstyle View Post
      Im pretty sure he loves VW. Shows up one every thread with hate, I dont think he misses one lol.
      I second that...

Vehicles
      96 gti vr6 & 2012 Jeep Wrangler sport
      09-28-2012 05:22 PM #300
      I voted mk3 because they hold a sentimental value to me. Although, the original owner said it was the worst car he ever took to the track in his life and that was the reason he sold it.
      I get lots of looks and thumbs up from random people when i drive my car so i guess other people besides myself find mk3s nice.

Ive owned 2 mk1s and absolutly loved those cars. Just a great car overall weather you like vw or not.

My friend owned 4 mk2s and i thought they were slow and uncomfortable but that was with cheap coilovers.

I drove a few mk4s and liked them.

I also think my girlfriends mk5 drives and handles incredible.

And even though the corrado isnt a choice, i enjoyed driving and sitting shotgun in my brothers corrado but found the rear window hard to see out of.

this is oviously just my opinion and not fact
      Last edited by Chips Ahoy!; 09-28-2012 at 05:26 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by GolfTango View Post
      Chunky girls love your user name.
      Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkChad View Post
      you really have to calm it down dude. take a deep breath. its the internet. everything will be ok.

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast