Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Catastrophic Engine Failure.... 3 month old Golf R - NEED ADVICE!

1. n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, CW 4Dr KESSY
      09-26-2012 07:28 PM #1
      I could really use some advice. Less than 3 months ago, I purchased a brand new, 2012 Candy White Golf R, 4 door, Nav and Sunroof. Its a car I've lusted after since I first laid eyes on it and since taking ownership, it has been my pride and joy. I have LOVED everything about it, every moment being in it, driving it. It is total supreme uber hot hatchness... but you all already understand this.

At 2766 miles I was cruising down the highway at 70 mph on my way to work when the engine suddenly lost power and the EPC light came on. The engine was completely unresponsive, I pulled off to the shoulder, called roadside assistance and was towed to the nearest dealer. (If you're wondering, I was VERY considerate of the 1000mi break in period.)

The service manager told me the water pump seized and seriously damaged the engine. I went to look and there was a big hole in the side of the engine. He told me they had to order new piston heads, rods, etc... basically, needed to rebuild the engine. Speaking to the mechanic actually working on the car, he said it would probably need an engine replacement.

My first thought was "WTF?!?! this car IS BRAND NEW!" Replacing the engine will devalue a very high value, rare car! I didn't pay 36K for just any golf... I want one with great resale. Additionally, its my baby... I expect it to be factory PERFECT for at LEAST the first year, which I don't think is too much to ask for ANY consumer product this day and age.

Sure enough, they quickly realized repair wasn't possible and had a new engine en route. In my mind, a new engine on a car <3 months old with 2766 miles is not acceptable. The car is significantly tainted. I contacted VW customer service, gave them my story and said I expected the CAR to be replaced.

VW Customer service (super pleasant) got back with me, said they were working with the dealer to get me a replacement. At that point, I was happy and was okay with sitting tight until they found me an exact replacement.

Today, I got a call from the dealer. The deal he laid out for me was ENRAGING. First he said that VW was going to offer me 10% off the new car, but that the dealer would offer me only $28K for my current, engine replaced (otherwise brand new) car. This puts me in the red, with a higher monthly payment than I had. I started giving the dealer a hard time, but then asked him to have VW customer service call me ASAP.

Should I not expect to be in the same position I was in the instant before the engine suffered catastrophic failure? As far as I'm concerned, a replacement car should be expected, and I should not be paying a penny more. I don't know if the dealer needs to come up from the 28K (Which I think is insanely low for a basically NEW car), or if VW needs to give me a bigger discount. But fundamentally, I do not expect to pay ANY more than what I currently am.

What thoughts, advice, questions... anything does anyone have? I'm in rage mode (when my car isn't right, I'm not right) and just want to be HAPPY again. I want to be treated fairly.

Thank you!

-Metal

Vehicles
      1985 Volkswagen Scirocco, 1997 Jetta glx(R.I.P.) 2000 Jetta
      09-26-2012 08:33 PM #2
      the engine blew, that sucks but it happens. its a mass produced car that maybe on nut or bolt didnt get tightened on and it blew. yea it sucks but again it happens. From what you said the dealership is doing what they are supposed to do replace the engine. i dont know what more you want. you have a car that is under warranty and they are fixing a problem with it that is clearly covered.
      i dont know how much a factory replaced engine will actually devalue your car. im sure jsut driving it will take care of that more than the engine being replaced will. As far as what you should do, get the engine replaced and keep all paperwork for the repair and maybe ask for some extra time on your warranty.

3. 09-27-2012 01:28 PM #3
      I can't see how a factory replacement engine done by a dealer would de-value the car at all.

Their obligation is to repair/replace the broken parts on YOUR vehicle - nothing more. It's not their fault that the depreciation curve is heavy at first and then lessens with time.

Vehicles
      2013 Tiguan, 1968 Beetle
      09-27-2012 03:14 PM #4
      As upsetting as the situation is, you need to step back and look at the big picture. Being emotionally involved will make it difficult for you to realize that the dealership and VW Corp. are not obligated to do anything other than repair your vehicle undr it's warranty. I know the situation isn't fun. I had the same thing happen to me with a motorcycle that had 1150 miles when the engine gave out. Now, I will say this to you. You can try to work with VW customer relations to satisfy you. Maybe ask for a few accesssories that you've had your eye on. VW Corp. sold the vehicle to your dealership.....they got payed. So for the dealership to offer you less than what you owe for your car is no different if you walked in and wanted to use your car as a trade-in. In my opinion, you should try to reslove your issues and keep your beloved Golf R. It will still be under factory warranty.

I hope in the end you find peace with this unfortunate situation.

5. 09-27-2012 08:37 PM #5
      I'd have to say you were treated fairly-VW honored its warranty and replaced your defective engine. I'm not aware of any similar ongoing with this engine, so it seems as though you got one with a defective part. I wouldn't be happy if this happened to me either, but as long as VW stood by the car I really wouldn't have any complaints. Having a new engine installed in the car should have no impact on its resale value, especially since it happened so quickly. While the engine is a rather significant component of the car, it really shouldn't be any different than replacing a defective window regulator, heater core or suspension bits under warranty. Wishing you many miles of enjoyable, trouble-free driving.

Vehicles
      2006 A3 Sport 6MT
      09-28-2012 01:04 PM #6
      Is Volkswagen willing to replace the motor under warranty?

If so, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Take the replacement and go home happy. It won't devalue the car and it won't necessarily lead to anything further.

Take the replacement motor and be happy they're being as easy to deal with as they are. A full vehicle replacement just isn't in the cards.

Vehicles
      2013 Red Turbo Beetle, 2013 Yellow 2.5 (Tweety) Beetle2010 CSG GTI
      10-02-2012 03:46 PM #7
      I would drive the rental until they had they complete the engine replacement. I want the car to look as though it was the original engine, ie engine compartment not compromised by careless workmanship, make that point. but VW is honoring the warranty, thank goodness you weren't tuned.

When you drove off the lot with your new 36K super rare R, it depreciated by 4 or 5 K, so that is the nature of the beast. I wouldn't expect VW to replace a 3 month old car with 2700 miles on it with a new one, it is unfortunate that you had the engine problem, but it is not realistic for VW to give you a new car, just mho.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      337 GTI
      10-03-2012 07:12 AM #8
      so basically what your saying is that when new cars come with a warranty...if anything breaks they are supposed to give you a BRAND new car? In my eyes I dont see how a brand new engine under factory warranty done by a certified dealer would drastically change a cars value? You expect because you paid 36k for a car, that when you sell it just becuase you paid 36k you deserve to get 36k back on a sale? Brother as soon as you drove that car off the lot and into your driveway you lost more money on re-sale than you ever will on warranty work being performed.

If volkswagen put out a recall for a part on your car would you call volkswagen and demand a brand new "high value" 36k car? Cause you know, recall sounds really really scary nobody is gonna wanna buy a car with a recall

9. Member shedtearsforwisconsin's Avatar
      Vehicles
      98 Jetta 2.0, 20th AE BMP 1.8t No.1773
      10-24-2012 11:30 AM #9
      your getting a free engine... why are you making it a bigger deal than it has to be if this is your baby its just like having a kid who needs a new heart... except you shouldnt have to pay anything for the engine replacement if it is under warranty. just take the engine and deal with it.

i work at a dealership.
      Help Me Get My Cabby Built so it can Make it to DIV2014 lemme buy your parts or check out my build

10. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      UK spec '90 GTI 16v
      10-31-2012 05:54 AM #10
      very unlucky by the sounds of it, take the replacement engine if you really love the car

11. Member
      Vehicles
      car less
      11-06-2012 07:19 AM #11
      You should ask the people that sold VW the water pump to buy you an entire new car. Maybe the guy that installed it. Or the engineer that signed it off.

I don't see how the car is "tained". The new engine will come from the same production line as the old one and so will the engine in an entirely new car. This costs VAG money so they'll want to check it out. Run some quality tests. They want to make sure it doesn't happen to you specifically again so you don't complain about it on the internet. So odds are that your free new engine is even less tainted than the engine in a Golf R that has already been produced.

Unless the concept of car is tainted to you but then every car is tainted. Every car has a water pump, every car could fail because of it. If you want a car that can never fail - are you willing to pay for that?

You'd have a point if you ask for a little something extra for the time you've wasted. Perhaps a free service or something. Otherwise, if they fix this and it runs as it should there's nothing "tained" about it.

Vehicles
      AWD BT 20TH and 2007 A3 3.2 S-line
      11-06-2012 07:26 AM #12
      Sounds like someone grew up with a silver spoon

Vehicles
      93' SLC 92' SLC 02' JETTA
      11-11-2012 11:36 AM #13
      Not for nothing, the car isn't going to loose value since its getting a new certified engine installed at a certified vw dealership. Save all the paperwork and when you decide to sell this car you love so much in 10-15 years, if the work doesn't show up on your Carfax, keep your mouth shut and be done with it.

Sent while sitting on my ass VIA my iPad
      [B] INSTAGRAM: europeein
      Facebook: facebook.com/addmichael

14. 11-11-2012 02:59 PM #14
      isn't there a lemon law in the U.S.?
      contact your local news media to get the word out sometimes that might help put pressure on VW to get you a new replacement or buy back your car at full price.

Vehicles
      93' SLC 92' SLC 02' JETTA
      11-11-2012 03:55 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by siegfried View Post
      contact your local news media to get the word out sometimes that might help put pressure on VW to get you a new replacement or buy back your car at full price.
      Lemon law isn't that easy.

Sent while sitting on my ass VIA my iPad
      [B] INSTAGRAM: europeein
      Facebook: facebook.com/addmichael

Vehicles
      1985 Volkswagen Scirocco, 1997 Jetta glx(R.I.P.) 2000 Jetta
      11-11-2012 04:58 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by siegfried View Post

Wisconsin lemon law http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/safety/...s/lemonlaw.htm

I do not think that this is a case where you can use the lemon law