Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: I just want to say..

09-26-2012 10:03 PM #1
      Adjusting the shifter linkage is the WORST thing I've had to do. Talk about PITA.

Lost 1st gear so adjusted and was like sweet it's fixed. Until I had no 5th

Finally fixed it 2hrs later. Plus my end link pieces are worn and need to be replaced.. le sigh. Of course it's right before a 10hr drive to OC..

I need
      | BENPURKISSDESIGN |

STANCE - Related words:
      hellaflush-hellafail-stanced-stancing-mental retardation-beaners etc.

Vehicles
      1998 Audi A4 QT , 1976 Datsun 280Z ( My Mid-Life Crisis )
      09-26-2012 11:10 PM #2
      Bah...child's play. Wait till you have to replace a steering rack. Had to do it on my A4. I'll burn the car to the ground before I ever do that again.
      "...I recommend books. People who don't know what they're talking about are less likely to write a book about the subject...."

Vehicles
      00' TT225 & 03' GTI 24v
      09-26-2012 11:12 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Neb View Post
      I need
      I will buy you said beer.

If you need stock shifter linkages I think I have my stock ones.

Procedure should be easy with a big nail and two people?
      -Doug

Vehicles
      2003 TTq coupe, 2001 Forester L
      09-26-2012 11:24 PM #4
      Did you use the locks? I remember using two (one under the shifter linkage, and I thought one lower on the front of the trans...?) but the Bentley only shows one from what I see. I know you have the gated shifter, do you have linkage upgrades? Also, how was shiftplate alignment?
      Audi TT mk1 FAQ zero Porsche wheels given

09-27-2012 05:43 AM #5
      Well I have an 2000 car so I have the older style. And there was no way I could lock my tranny in gear from the actual tranny. that pin that you're supposed to push in was NOT moving. So I would have to push it down into the 1st gear then I released both cables (which my ends are totally worn and shot). Then lock the shifter from the inside with an allen key because I don't own the 'special tool'. Once locked I had to go back to the engine bay, push the mechanism down into 1st again then adjust the cables and 'unlock' the cable ends. Finally got it to go after 5 tries. Problem would be it would adjust too much then I wouldn't have 5th, or I couldn't get into 1st if I went too much.

I need to get new ends for the cables for sure. I'd love to upgrade but I'm not sure if you can swap the ends for those solid bushing ones on the new models?
      | BENPURKISSDESIGN |

STANCE - Related words:

6. Member
      Vehicles
      01 TT 225 (daily), 01 TT 225 (project) 02 TT 180Q (donor), 03 GTI 20AE (daily) 03 GTI (dead)
      09-27-2012 07:30 AM #6
      Well I have an 2000 car so I have the older style. And there was no way I could lock my tranny in gear from the actual tranny. that pin that you're supposed to push in was NOT moving. So I would have to push it down into the 1st gear then I released both cables (which my ends are totally worn and shot). Then lock the shifter from the inside with an allen key because I don't own the 'special tool'. Once locked I had to go back to the engine bay, push the mechanism down into 1st again then adjust the cables and 'unlock' the cable ends. Finally got it to go after 5 tries. Problem would be it would adjust too much then I wouldn't have 5th, or I couldn't get into 1st if I went too much.

I need to get new ends for the cables for sure. I'd love to upgrade but I'm not sure if you can swap the ends for those solid bushing ones on the new models?

I hate to see you pull a Quattro 02M then if this is the worst! You're supposed to lock the shifter in the car, THEN adjust the cable ends. Doing the under hood portion first is backwards. Yes, I always use an allen as you don't need a "special" tool, like most things Audi/VW says you need one for. If you have the early style, they're a cone shaped pin, instead of a straight round post with a clip on the end. You'd have to buy the two pieces that go on top of the trans to change cable style there, then you could install the brass aftermarket bushings there to tighten things up.

10-02-2012 10:38 AM #7
      Not according to the Bentley ^^ You loosen the cables first, then lock the shifter. There's no way in hell I ever want to drop my O2M lol
      | BENPURKISSDESIGN |

STANCE - Related words:

8. Member
      Vehicles
      01 TT 225 (daily), 01 TT 225 (project) 02 TT 180Q (donor), 03 GTI 20AE (daily) 03 GTI (dead)
      10-02-2012 11:28 AM #8
      Okay, I misread you. Release cable ends on top of trans (doesn't have to be locked or in 1st though). Secure shifter inside cabin. Get shift tower to correct position by locking with indent button or guessing. THEN release cable ends. I thought you had said you were releasing ends then securing ends, then securing linkage in cabin, and repeating under hood. Sorry for the confusion.

Vehicles
      02 audi tt 225 / mk3 jetta /audi 5000s turbo
      10-02-2012 02:00 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Chickenman35 View Post
      Bah...child's play. Wait till you have to replace a steering rack. Had to do it on my A4. I'll burn the car to the ground before I ever do that again.
      i can pull and replace a rack on my 02 tt 225 in a few hours.

seriously, all you do is drop the subframe....why is ithis so hard? 4 bolts under the car, remove the sway bar end links, unbolt the ball joints, and the subframe falls off!

the rack is then dangling only held by the steering shaft and tie rods ends, and the hydrolic lines.

but that is for another thread! no idea on the shifter cables!

10-03-2012 07:49 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by 20v master View Post
      Okay, I misread you. Release cable ends on top of trans (doesn't have to be locked or in 1st though). Secure shifter inside cabin. Get shift tower to correct position by locking with indent button or guessing. THEN release cable ends. I thought you had said you were releasing ends then securing ends, then securing linkage in cabin, and repeating under hood. Sorry for the confusion.
      I had to guess as there's no way that locking 'button' was moving at all. All worked out in the end though
      | BENPURKISSDESIGN |

STANCE - Related words:

11. Member
      Vehicles
      10-03-2012 07:55 AM #11
      I had to guess as there's no way that locking 'button' was moving at all. All worked out in the end though
      02J or 02M? Can't remember if you're AWD or not.

Vehicles
      1998 Audi A4 QT , 1976 Datsun 280Z ( My Mid-Life Crisis )
      10-03-2012 11:21 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by speed51133! View Post
      i can pull and replace a rack on my 02 tt 225 in a few hours.

seriously, all you do is drop the subframe....why is ithis so hard? 4 bolts under the car, remove the sway bar end links, unbolt the ball joints, and the subframe falls off!

the rack is then dangling only held by the steering shaft and tie rods ends, and the hydrolic lines.

but that is for another thread! no idea on the shifter cables!
      Not a TT..It's an A4. The difference is in the details. But that's for another thread
      "...I recommend books. People who don't know what they're talking about are less likely to write a book about the subject...."

Vehicles
      02 audi tt 225 / mk3 jetta /audi 5000s turbo
      10-03-2012 12:55 PM #13
      ahh. i read mk4....

10-04-2012 08:23 AM #14
      02J or 02M? Can't remember if you're AWD or not.
      AWD O2M
      | BENPURKISSDESIGN |

STANCE - Related words:

15. 10-04-2012 09:54 AM #15
      youtube...there's a great video by diesel geek on how to adjust it...
      as someone else stated...child's play. once you know the process

http://youtu.be/tp9ggefOjAE

10-04-2012 11:20 AM #16
      oh yeah, it's easy now that I know. Still will hate to do it again eventually though.

Does anyone know if you can replace the ends with the newer style? That way I can put those solid bushings in them?
      | BENPURKISSDESIGN |

STANCE - Related words:

17. Member
      Vehicles
      10-04-2012 11:42 AM #17
      Does anyone know if you can replace the ends with the newer style? That way I can put those solid bushings in them?
      You'd have to buy the two pieces that go on top of the trans to change cable style there, then you could install the brass aftermarket bushings there to tighten things up.
      The front to back piece on ebay

You'd also need the side to side piece.

10-05-2012 07:34 AM #18
      Thanks
      | BENPURKISSDESIGN |

STANCE - Related words: