Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: kaput power steering pump... signs? symptoms? anyone DIY?

Vehicles
      02 EV MV; 02 BMW 325iT; several guitars and mandolins
      09-27-2012 02:39 AM #1
      My '02 MV just had a bunch of work done (tires, 120K svc, new transmission pan, etc...), and it was running great, and all of a sudden a bunch of freaking smoke comes pouring out of the hood as I turn into a parking lot... smelled like hot plastic and burning oil.

Didn't seem to be leaking anything, so I drove the couple of miles home... making a whining sound that's very obvious at low RPM, and more obvious as I turn the wheel. I'm sure it's the Power steering pump. I'll check it for fluid in the morning, but I wonder if it's just empty.

Anyone do one of these? Where the hell is the damned thing? (If I bring it to a shop, how much is the job?) Am I risking more damage even driving it to the shop? Could a seized pump housing wreck a belt running other vital stuff?

I guess one related question is: Is the PS pump or fluid checked at the 120K service? (That was a little over a week ago, and I've put a few hundred miles on since.)

2. 09-27-2012 12:16 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by tiiger View Post
      My '02 MV just had a bunch of work done (tires, 120K svc, new transmission pan, etc...), and it was running great, and all of a sudden a bunch of freaking smoke comes pouring out of the hood as I turn into a parking lot... smelled like hot plastic and burning oil.

Didn't seem to be leaking anything, so I drove the couple of miles home... making a whining sound that's very obvious at low RPM, and more obvious as I turn the wheel. I'm sure it's the Power steering pump. I'll check it for fluid in the morning, but I wonder if it's just empty.

Anyone do one of these? Where the hell is the damned thing? (If I bring it to a shop, how much is the job?) Am I risking more damage even driving it to the shop? Could a seized pump housing wreck a belt running other vital stuff?

I guess one related question is: Is the PS pump or fluid checked at the 120K service? (That was a little over a week ago, and I've put a few hundred miles on since.)
      Generally at all services, fluid levels are checked.

There's nothing to really visibly check on a pump other than if fluid is leaking because there's nothing else to see on the outside that would tip anyone off to any issue.

Sounds like the pump or its pulley is seizing and what you're smelling is either some fried bearings or the accessory belt slipping on it (and burning up). This will not last very long before the belt itself goes. Get it taken care of soon or you'll lose the belt, in which case you will have about 30 minutes of juice in your battery before it dies (since the alternator won't be charging) and your car won't run anymore.

Expect a new pump and a new accessory belt out of this (I wouldn't re-use the belt...just have it replaced while they're in there working on the pump).