Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Golf 7 GTI Concept - Official Info and Photos from the show

Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      09-29-2012 03:26 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by zigster38 View Post
      But there has *got* to be a way to get rid of that UGLY RED STRIPE! Looks odd on the white car, and downright horrible on the blue car.
      I assume (hope? ) you can just replace it with the silver/translucent one from the regular Golf.
      Aung San Suu Kyi

Vehicles
      Old World: 2015 BMW X1, 2012 Porsche Boxster S. New World: 2015 GTI S, 93 Corrado SLC
      09-29-2012 04:05 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Waterfan View Post
      wiki for the EA888 FYI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...kW_.28EA888.29

Specifically: Valvelift variants make 258ft/lbs, non-valvelift make only 207
      That's the point I made above - if Jamie says it I believe it until proven otherwise, but the torque number does not suggest the car isn't valve lift equipped as another poster wrote above - quite the opposite.

Vehicles
      Old World: 2015 BMW X1, 2012 Porsche Boxster S. New World: 2015 GTI S, 93 Corrado SLC
      09-29-2012 04:11 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by feels_road View Post
      I assume (hope? ) you can just replace it with the silver/translucent one from the regular Golf.
      Yeah, but isn't that going to require either a headlight swap with a regular Golf, or taking apart your headlights? It looks to me like it's inside the lens, no? Judging by the detailed reference to it in the press release, that sounds like a design feature they are pretty gung ho about carrying through to the production model. I'd like to see the car in black, i expect it will look less odd there, to me anyway.
      Last edited by John Y; 09-29-2012 at 09:21 AM.

Vehicles
      '99 Passat / 337 / '12 4DR R
      09-29-2012 06:12 AM #29
      On the VWVortex Facebook page, they mentioned since this car is a "concept" that VW was taking feedback on the red stripe and side badging, so add your comments there too.

5. 09-29-2012 08:47 AM #30
      Perhaps I'm the only one, but I like the red stripe on the grill. And I like that it goes through to the headlights, making the front clip more uniform. Plus it's a simple differentiator between the GTI and the regular Golf, along with the honeycomb grill. Besides, until we see one in person, it's tough to easily see how it integrates with the rest of the car (besides tracing straigh to the fender line on the front clip of the car). But it seems that I'm in the minority on that opinion.

Vehicles
      84 Jetta 2.0L 8V Conversion (sold); 99 Passat 1.8t APR S1, Suspension, 17's (current)
      09-29-2012 11:33 AM #31
      I'm honestly baffled at the focus on aesthetics. The mk7 technical stats are massive all-around improvement in everyway.

mk7 vs. mk6 GTI:
      +17 hp, +27 hp*
      +51 tq (MASSIVE +25% increase!!!)
      -200 lbs (while car is slightly larger/roomier)
      LSD*
      Larger brakes*
      +3 mpg

*Performance Package

Maybe because most of the above has already been guessed at in rumors, and the key new thing now are the real pictures? Just had to vent, carry on

Vehicles
      09-29-2012 11:57 AM #32
      The dynamics of the new car do sound fabulous - problem is, people on the forum don't know what will make it stateside, and no one has driven one to tell us what it's like yet, either. The looks are staring us in the face right now!

The only part I really think has no place on the car is the fender badge; aside from looking very tacked-on, it just seems like some silly, self-congratulation is going on if the badge stays. Let's not gild the lily, here - I have owned 4 GTIs and 2 other Golf models and love them - but please, a GTI ought to be a little more low-key.

Another nit-picky concern is that I don't like the apparent extent to which the center console is recessed within the dash: it's just kind of "shrouded" in there and seems a little old-fashioned.
      Last edited by John Y; 09-29-2012 at 12:00 PM.

Vehicles
      2008 T-red GTI manual
      09-29-2012 12:34 PM #33
      smyle1%...
      Why is it that I'm not feeling the MKVII in Tornado Red?.... (and I owned a T.R. MKVI and ABSOLUTELY loved it!!)

Maybe its a combination of the extra red lines in the lights and the fact that the new fender badging gets lost in T.R.??? I guess there is now such a thing as "too much red."
      I totally agree, I get all my VW's in red and it's the best. the fender badge needs to go for sure. But if you look closely the red looks metallic red, which is odd. I remember that there was a metallic red audi paint that I never liked, it was really tough to tell but always looked "off".

The electronic parking brake really, really needs to go. what a stupid piece of over-engineering. I think I want to start a petition.
      Past cars - 94 T-red Jetta GLX VR6 W.Ed. manual, 05 T-red GTI 1.8T manual
      Family - 07 Jetta 2.5S manual, 07 Passat 2.0T Manual, 09 Tiguan S

Vehicles
      84 Jetta 2.0L 8V Conversion (sold); 99 Passat 1.8t APR S1, Suspension, 17's (current)
      09-29-2012 12:49 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by John Y View Post
      The dynamics of the new car do sound fabulous - problem is, people on the forum don't know what will make it stateside, and no one has driven one to tell us what it's like yet, either. The looks are staring us in the face right now!
      UGH, you're absolutely right.

The only part I really think has no place on the car is the fender badge; aside from looking very tacked-on, it just seems like some silly, self-congratulation is going on if the badge stays. Let's not gild the lily, here - I have owned 4 GTIs and 2 other Golf models and love them - but please, a GTI ought to be a little more low-key.
      I'm in total agreement. Audis with side badges are the very special S and RS versions. Yes, GTI is a special Golf, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. Understated excellence is the GTI way.

Day 1 mod: Fender badge delete

10. 09-29-2012 02:05 PM #35
      I'm honestly baffled at the focus on aesthetics. The mk7 technical stats are massive all-around improvement in everyway.

mk7 vs. mk6 GTI:
      +17 hp, +27 hp*
      +51 tq (MASSIVE +25% increase!!!)
      -200 lbs (while car is slightly larger/roomier)
      LSD*
      Larger brakes*
      +3 mpg

*Performance Package

Maybe because most of the above has already been guessed at in rumors, and the key new thing now are the real pictures? Just had to vent, carry on
      Just because it comes tuned better from the factory, doesn't mean it has more potential. Everyone considers the mk6 "detuned", they could market the same exact hardware with better gains. I'm more interested in seeing what numbers tuners get out of it with a stage 1 tune.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Vehicles
      09-29-2012 02:14 PM #36
      The mk7 technical stats are massive all-around improvement in everyway.
      Let's not forget the progressive steering, either; I think that has the potential to make a real difference to the car's driving dynamics, to the good.

12. 09-29-2012 04:49 PM #37
      Alright let me be more precise, its the part of the red stripe under the lights that doesn't work, I really do like the look of the current double stripe. Well I doubt vw is going to change it so hopefully someone is working on aftermarket nuetral bar for under the headlights lol. I suppose there is always the chance it looks better in person.

Vehicles
      12 passat, 11 Tiguan, 07 passat, 03 jetta turbo
      09-29-2012 08:57 PM #38
      One of my favorite features about VW's here to fore has been the steering wheels, but this looks like it came out of the GM-Ford parts bin. I hope this is not a trend we will see in the future with the thick spokes where the the thumb and finger tip back rests. Thick spoke steering wheels are hard to use and feel less secure to operate.

I am surprised by the dislike of the e-brake on the forum. I like it in my Tiguan, miss the one from my b6 passat and don't like the hydraulic one I have now.
      Last edited by Das Schnurrbart; 09-29-2012 at 09:09 PM.

Vehicles
      2011 VW GTI DBM
      09-29-2012 09:45 PM #39
      This Nav looks huge compared to the 315 and 510. Anyone have more info? Model differentiations?
      --
      2011 VW GTI Deep Black Metallic w/DSG, Detroits, PIAA Plasma Ion Yellow Fogs and Blueteeth.

15. 10-01-2012 01:14 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by John Y View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by 1-VW View Post
      No surprise here, once I saw the horsepower vs torque numbers my gut feeling was there is no valve lift./QUOTE]

That doesn't really compute; the horsepower and torque numbers of this new gti engine are virtually identical to those 2.0Ts with the variable valve lift system (AVS). The valve lift engine puts out 211hp and 258 lb-ft of torque, in the various Audi applications that use it. This new GTI engine, is rated at...217hp and 258 lb-ft of torque.
      That doesn't really compute; the horsepower and torque numbers of this new gti engine are virtually identical to those 2.0Ts with the variable valve lift system (AVS). The valve lift engine puts out 211hp and 258 lb-ft of torque, in the various Audi applications that use it. This new GTI engine, is rated at...217hp and 258 lb-ft of torque.
      I am convinced those torque numbers can be made quite easily without valve-lift. VW should be able to get those numbers with a small turbo and a carefully tuned back-pressure, the problem is a rise in EGT's. The valve lift should solve this by reducing the effective cylinder back pressure at higher rpm`s and increase exhaust velocity while maintaining the pressure ratio at the turbine.

The alternative solution is to keep the somewhat restrictive valves and cool the exhaust post turbine, the cool air is denser therefore you can increasing mass flow rates just as with a valve lift system and still maintain the same pressure ratio. With an actively cooled integrated manifold there is likely no need for valve-lift. I would not be surprised to see valve-lift being offered exclusively in the high output engine. If they do offer valve-lift in the Gti with a robust cooling system to minimize heat soak, it will have a well-spring of power to unlock.

This is how I arrived at my gut feeling, but in the end there are many ways to arrive at the same destination and maybe they chose the valve-lift way.
      I am a VW Fan, but above all I am a Car Fan.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      '04 330i ZHP
      10-01-2012 04:13 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by BClear View Post
      They ruined the steering wheel. Those buttons look so cheap, among the half-zonen other things that they did wrong coming from the perfect MK6 steering wheel.
      +1 they went from one of the best steering wheels on the market to mediocrity.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2001/Rave Green GTi, 2012 Beetle
      10-01-2012 04:33 PM #42
      I completely agree with regards to the steering wheel. They're raised the bar with it that anything less is mediocre. Anyone else see some similarities with the Evo X wheel?

Revo Stage2 | 4 Bar FPR | GHL Downpipe | Milltek Catback Exhaust | Forge 007 DV | Neuspeed P-Flo | Neuspeed Turbo Inlet Pipe | Neuspeed Short Shift Link | Eibach Pro Kits | Koni Sport Yellows | 25the AE body Kit | 25th AE Aluminum trim | BBS RCs | Pwrhaus SMIC

18. Member
      10-01-2012 09:20 PM #43
      Another vote for a bad steering wheel. The MK6 version was perfect. I'm also not a fan of the golf ball shift knob. I much preferred the manual shifter in the MK6.

19. 10-01-2012 10:32 PM #44
      So many of the negative comments are due to VW not adhering to the old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Can't they just accept the fact that some features can no longer be improved upon anymore? It seems that they are now simply overkilling everything design wise.

20. Member
      10-01-2012 11:35 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by snakeye View Post
      So many of the negative comments are due to VW not adhering to the old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Can't they just accept the fact that some features can no longer be improved upon anymore? It seems that they are now simply overkilling everything design wise.
      I think it's the other way around. They did not want to transmit the message "hey we just comoletely changed the Golf GTI with the mkvii but left the old streering wheel". People are just too picky to risk that.
      2012 VW Amarok TDI
      2011 Kia Sportage Revolution 2.0 TDI 177hp

21. Banned
      10-02-2012 12:31 AM #46
      1. I love that red stripe.
      2. I love new steering wheel, much better looking than MK6 one.
      3. I like the idea of e-brake.

22. 10-02-2012 05:36 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by Nuieve View Post
      1. I love that red stripe.
      2. I love new steering wheel, much better looking than MK6 one.
      3. I like the idea of e-brake.

Vehicles
      '84 Rabbit, 2012 GTI
      10-02-2012 11:10 PM #48
      I agree with him, other than the e-brake. Also a huge fan of the golf ball knob.

Original GTI Interior for refference...

Last edited by aeffertz; 10-02-2012 at 11:17 PM.

24. Banned
      10-03-2012 12:18 AM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by snakeye View Post
      Serious. I like all things modern. Don't give a baboon azz about some stupid e-brake thing, it's just ebrake why did everyone get their balls in a knot over it? The gt6 steering wheel is fugly, imo, can't believe people would want that lump of a turd carry over to mk7. I stayed away from enterig this coversation in sheer disbelief from all the comments, but in case vw people really monitor this forum and make their decisions based on things said in here, I just want them to know they're not aeshetically challenged, not at all. It's the other way round.

25. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TDI Jetta
      10-03-2012 03:39 AM #50
      Meh. Not a fan. Only good looking part of the car is the seats. That steering wheel is disgusting.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast