Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Golf 7 GTI Concept - Official Info and Photos from the show

Vehicles
      Old World: 2015 BMW X1. New World: 2015 GTI S, 93 Corrado SLC
      09-29-2012 02:14 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Waterfan View Post
      The mk7 technical stats are massive all-around improvement in everyway.
      Let's not forget the progressive steering, either; I think that has the potential to make a real difference to the car's driving dynamics, to the good.

2. 09-29-2012 04:49 PM #37
      Alright let me be more precise, its the part of the red stripe under the lights that doesn't work, I really do like the look of the current double stripe. Well I doubt vw is going to change it so hopefully someone is working on aftermarket nuetral bar for under the headlights lol. I suppose there is always the chance it looks better in person.

Vehicles
      12 passat, 11 Tiguan, 07 passat, 03 jetta turbo
      09-29-2012 08:57 PM #38
      One of my favorite features about VW's here to fore has been the steering wheels, but this looks like it came out of the GM-Ford parts bin. I hope this is not a trend we will see in the future with the thick spokes where the the thumb and finger tip back rests. Thick spoke steering wheels are hard to use and feel less secure to operate.

I am surprised by the dislike of the e-brake on the forum. I like it in my Tiguan, miss the one from my b6 passat and don't like the hydraulic one I have now.
      Last edited by Das Schnurrbart; 09-29-2012 at 09:09 PM.

Vehicles
      2011 VW GTI DBM
      09-29-2012 09:45 PM #39
      This Nav looks huge compared to the 315 and 510. Anyone have more info? Model differentiations?
      --
      2011 VW GTI Deep Black Metallic w/DSG, Detroits, PIAA Plasma Ion Yellow Fogs and Blueteeth.

5. 10-01-2012 01:14 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by John Y View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by 1-VW View Post
      No surprise here, once I saw the horsepower vs torque numbers my gut feeling was there is no valve lift./QUOTE]

That doesn't really compute; the horsepower and torque numbers of this new gti engine are virtually identical to those 2.0Ts with the variable valve lift system (AVS). The valve lift engine puts out 211hp and 258 lb-ft of torque, in the various Audi applications that use it. This new GTI engine, is rated at...217hp and 258 lb-ft of torque.
      That doesn't really compute; the horsepower and torque numbers of this new gti engine are virtually identical to those 2.0Ts with the variable valve lift system (AVS). The valve lift engine puts out 211hp and 258 lb-ft of torque, in the various Audi applications that use it. This new GTI engine, is rated at...217hp and 258 lb-ft of torque.
      I am convinced those torque numbers can be made quite easily without valve-lift. VW should be able to get those numbers with a small turbo and a carefully tuned back-pressure, the problem is a rise in EGT's. The valve lift should solve this by reducing the effective cylinder back pressure at higher rpm`s and increase exhaust velocity while maintaining the pressure ratio at the turbine.

The alternative solution is to keep the somewhat restrictive valves and cool the exhaust post turbine, the cool air is denser therefore you can increasing mass flow rates just as with a valve lift system and still maintain the same pressure ratio. With an actively cooled integrated manifold there is likely no need for valve-lift. I would not be surprised to see valve-lift being offered exclusively in the high output engine. If they do offer valve-lift in the Gti with a robust cooling system to minimize heat soak, it will have a well-spring of power to unlock.

This is how I arrived at my gut feeling, but in the end there are many ways to arrive at the same destination and maybe they chose the valve-lift way.
      I am a VW Fan, but above all I am a Car Fan.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      '04 330i ZHP
      10-01-2012 04:13 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by BClear View Post
      They ruined the steering wheel. Those buttons look so cheap, among the half-zonen other things that they did wrong coming from the perfect MK6 steering wheel.
      +1 they went from one of the best steering wheels on the market to mediocrity.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2001/Rave Green GTi, 2012 Beetle
      10-01-2012 04:33 PM #42
      I completely agree with regards to the steering wheel. They're raised the bar with it that anything less is mediocre. Anyone else see some similarities with the Evo X wheel?

Revo Stage2 | 4 Bar FPR | GHL Downpipe | Milltek Catback Exhaust | Forge 007 DV | Neuspeed P-Flo | Neuspeed Turbo Inlet Pipe | Neuspeed Short Shift Link | Eibach Pro Kits | Koni Sport Yellows | 25the AE body Kit | 25th AE Aluminum trim | BBS RCs

8. Member
      10-01-2012 09:20 PM #43
      Another vote for a bad steering wheel. The MK6 version was perfect. I'm also not a fan of the golf ball shift knob. I much preferred the manual shifter in the MK6.

9. 10-01-2012 10:32 PM #44
      So many of the negative comments are due to VW not adhering to the old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Can't they just accept the fact that some features can no longer be improved upon anymore? It seems that they are now simply overkilling everything design wise.

10. Member
      10-01-2012 11:35 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by snakeye View Post
      So many of the negative comments are due to VW not adhering to the old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Can't they just accept the fact that some features can no longer be improved upon anymore? It seems that they are now simply overkilling everything design wise.
      I think it's the other way around. They did not want to transmit the message "hey we just comoletely changed the Golf GTI with the mkvii but left the old streering wheel". People are just too picky to risk that.
      2012 VW Amarok TDI
      2011 Kia Sportage Revolution 2.0 TDI 177hp

11. 10-02-2012 12:31 AM #46
      1. I love that red stripe.
      2. I love new steering wheel, much better looking than MK6 one.
      3. I like the idea of e-brake.

12. 10-02-2012 05:36 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by Nuieve View Post
      1. I love that red stripe.
      2. I love new steering wheel, much better looking than MK6 one.
      3. I like the idea of e-brake.

Vehicles
      '84 Rabbit, 2012 GTI
      10-02-2012 11:10 PM #48
      I agree with him, other than the e-brake. Also a huge fan of the golf ball knob.

Original GTI Interior for refference...

Last edited by aeffertz; 10-02-2012 at 11:17 PM.

14. 10-03-2012 12:18 AM #49
      Serious. I like all things modern. Don't give a baboon azz about some stupid e-brake thing, it's just ebrake why did everyone get their balls in a knot over it? The gt6 steering wheel is fugly, imo, can't believe people would want that lump of a turd carry over to mk7. I stayed away from enterig this coversation in sheer disbelief from all the comments, but in case vw people really monitor this forum and make their decisions based on things said in here, I just want them to know they're not aeshetically challenged, not at all. It's the other way round.

15. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TDI Jetta
      10-03-2012 03:39 AM #50
      Meh. Not a fan. Only good looking part of the car is the seats. That steering wheel is disgusting.

Vehicles
      2015 GTI Autobahn, 04 .:R32 DBP, '87 GTI 16V
      10-03-2012 11:31 AM #51
      I think part of the problem is that none of the people commenting negatively about the steering wheel have actually seen or held it first-hand. I doubt the pictures do it justice.

As for electronic e-brake. Do not like. The fact that it's not mechanical makes me feel like we're less involved in controlling the machine, you know...there's just more to go wrong.

Ideal setup would be:

Candy White
      2 door
      Manual
      Upgraded audio/Nav
      Bi-Xenon
      18" wheels
      LSD (Performance Pkg)
      MECHANICAL HAND BRAKE
      My MK7 GTI "Build" - roger2050

A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster. - Jezza

17. Member
      Vehicles
      10-03-2012 03:28 PM #52
      Hasn't the e-parking brake been an issue on the Tiguans and Passats.
      Revo Stage2 | 4 Bar FPR | GHL Downpipe | Milltek Catback Exhaust | Forge 007 DV | Neuspeed P-Flo | Neuspeed Turbo Inlet Pipe | Neuspeed Short Shift Link | Eibach Pro Kits | Koni Sport Yellows | 25the AE body Kit | 25th AE Aluminum trim | BBS RCs

18. 10-03-2012 05:54 PM #53
      Serious. I like all things modern. Don't give a baboon azz about some stupid e-brake thing, it's just ebrake why did everyone get their balls in a knot over it? The gt6 steering wheel is fugly, imo, can't believe people would want that lump of a turd carry over to mk7. I stayed away from enterig this coversation in sheer disbelief from all the comments, but in case vw people really monitor this forum and make their decisions based on things said in here, I just want them to know they're not aeshetically challenged, not at all. It's the other way round.
      Just an e-brake? The fact that you prefer an electronic parking brake over a manual one merely for the sake of having a feature that is more modern makes me think you may not appreciate what the manual one adds in terms of driving/stopping experience, performance and safety. Sure the electronic brake is technologically more advanced than a cable hand brake, but what would you prefer when gliding on thick snow, courtesy of your ABS brakes, in an emergency stop situation? You don't have snow where you are? Well some of us do! A simple button may be more convenient for you; to each their own I guess, but there are very legitimate reasons for complaining about the e-brake.

19. 10-04-2012 05:09 AM #54
      Just an e-brake? The fact that you prefer an electronic parking brake over a manual one merely for the sake of having a feature that is more modern makes me think you may not appreciate what the manual one adds in terms of driving/stopping experience, performance and safety. Sure the electronic brake is technologically more advanced than a cable hand brake, but what would you prefer when gliding on thick snow, courtesy of your ABS brakes, in an emergency stop situation? You don't have snow where you are? Well some of us do! A simple button may be more convenient for you; to each their own I guess, but there are very legitimate reasons for complaining about the e-brake.
      I have lots of snow, but I never drive like an idiot, so I never had to use e-brake WHILE driving or to stop. I use it only to prevent my car from rolling when parked. But again, I don't drive like an idiot.
      Last edited by Nuieve; 10-04-2012 at 05:12 AM.

20. 10-04-2012 09:43 AM #55
      Lol! What's the emergency brake going to do if you can't stop in the snow? You must put chains on your rear wheels...

Vehicles
      Golf GTI 7
      10-04-2012 09:49 AM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by No_cats View Post
      Lol! What's the emergency brake going to do if you can't stop in the snow?
      Make it more fun as you spin out of control

Vehicles
      04 RSX Type-S
      10-04-2012 12:31 PM #57
      i will be uber pissed if the GTI comes out in that blue color here in the states.

imho, that is THE color of the R

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 GTI 6
      10-04-2012 03:04 PM #58
      The gt6 steering wheel is fugly, imo, can't believe people would want that lump of a turd carry over to mk7.
      Everyone entitled to their option, but to 1. dislike the mk6 wheel, and 2. like that gti concept wheel . I seem to recall the mk6 wheel was among 20 wheels voted the best.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      10-04-2012 03:55 PM #59
      Ergonomics on the MK6 steering wheel is brilliant. Far from being "lump of a turd".

25. 10-04-2012 04:30 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
      Ergonomics on the MK6 steering wheel is brilliant. Far from being "lump of a turd".
      Not arguing with ergonomics, I haven't used it but I will take your and everybody else's word for it. I'm just saying it's fugly as hell.

26. 10-04-2012 08:41 PM #61
      I have lots of snow, but I never drive like an idiot, so I never had to use e-brake WHILE driving or to stop. I use it only to prevent my car from rolling when parked. But again, I don't drive like an idiot.
      I made no allusion to driving style. I did however mention emergency stop situation, which in case you're no aware of, could occur even when you're NOT driving like an idiot. Road hazards are not always under your own control, and unfortunately neither will be the ability to lock your rear wheels whenever you wish on the MK7.

Quote Originally Posted by No_cats View Post
      Lol! What's the emergency brake going to do if you can't stop in the snow? You must put chains on your rear wheels...
      Stops the car faster in heavy snow than ABS can. Should try it out sometime.

Vehicles
      '12 GTI 2-DR
      10-04-2012 08:44 PM #62
      I'm guessing you've never driven a MKVI GTI or put your hands around the wheel.
      2015 M235i On Order | 2012 GTI MKVI | 2013 CC | 2012 A5

Vehicles
      '06 BMW Z4M Coupe, '13 Cadillac ATS 3.6 RWD
      10-05-2012 07:47 PM #63
      I made no allusion to driving style. I did however mention emergency stop situation, which in case you're no aware of, could occur even when you're NOT driving like an idiot. Road hazards are not always under your own control, and unfortunately neither will be the ability to lock your rear wheels whenever you wish on the MK7.

Stops the car faster in heavy snow than ABS can. Should try it out sometime.
      Besides locking up the rear brakes in heavy snow, what other road hazards occur that make you need to lock up your rear wheels? Since I haven't needed to pull the e-brake in heavy snow or any other situation in the last 25 years of driving I am not that concerned about it.

29. 10-05-2012 08:49 PM #64
      I think the proper (and original) term for e-brake (as in emergency brake, not electronic brake) is actually parking brake. It's intented for parking, not for emergency braking... Maybe in 80 y.o. cars it could be used for emergent braking when your rear brakes were more prone to suffer catastrophic failure or not be there at all, lol, but on modern cars regular brakes are always there and working and are always more efficient for braking than good ol' e-brake rear wheels lockup. I can understand concern for manual brake on a RWD car if you really do a lot of stunts, but on a FWD car like GTI it's only eating space and cluttering interior.

30. 10-05-2012 09:28 PM #65
      It is more effective to lock your brakes in heavy snow (or gravel, sand...) than to rely on the ABS. That's a proven fact. Also...

"Parking" brakes... You're probably right it's the correct term, but it has other uses.

Vehicles
      '06 BMW Z4M Coupe, '13 Cadillac ATS 3.6 RWD
      10-06-2012 10:32 AM #66
      It is more effective to lock your brakes in heavy snow (or gravel, sand...) than to rely on the ABS. That's a proven fact. Also...

"Parking" brakes... You're probably right it's the correct term, but it has other uses.
      I guess while you are taking part in WRC events it is very useful.

Vehicles
      08 TR R32, 12 TR Golf R (about to be traded for a Wrangler), 11 Blk Touareg Exec
      10-06-2012 10:39 AM #67
      I agree 100%. I totally hate the ebrake in my 11 Touareg. Those who have never used the parking brake in Golf in the "proper" manner will never understand why those of us who dislike the electronic one, do.

In addition, there have been reports of the ebrake not functioning correctly. In particular, not releasing.

Vehicles
      2015 GTI
      10-06-2012 02:59 PM #68
      i actually love the new gti steering wheel. and i own a mk6 i would swap given the chance.

34. Member
      Vehicles
      07 BMP GTI
      10-06-2012 06:56 PM #69
      Really wished the headlights didnt have the strip. Here's a photoshop I did:

-smoked healights + side mirror turn signals
      -colormatched front stripe
      -colormatched brakes
      -tint
      -lowered

I think it looks amazing and is definitely continuing to grow on me.

35. 10-08-2012 11:52 PM #70
      Why are people so enamoured with this punkass slammed look is beyond me. Looks utterly dumb. I'd put put in the same category as wearing 10 pound golden chain on your neck. Sooo ghetto...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast