Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Golf 7 GTI Concept - Official Info and Photos from the show

1. 10-09-2012 12:12 AM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by Nuieve View Post
      Why are people so enamoured with this punkass slammed look is beyond me. Looks utterly dumb. I'd put put in the same category as wearing 10 pound golden chain on your neck. Sooo ghetto...
      agree. money can buy a lot of things, but there is something money can't buy.

2. 10-09-2012 05:04 AM #72
      1. The "emergency" referred to in the name of the brake is brake failure. I do not believe anyone who says it stops the car faster than ABS, and even if it did, it does so at the expense of control of the vehicle. If your ABS can't stop you in time, you're going too fast for conditions.

2. I think the red stripe is kickass, especially on the white car, and I think it might look even better on black.

3. The MKVI steering wheel does look a little cooler, but nobody's even touched this one yet, so calm down.

3. 10-09-2012 11:27 AM #73
      Why are people so enamoured with this punkass slammed look is beyond me. Looks utterly dumb. I'd put put in the same category as wearing 10 pound golden chain on your neck. Sooo ghetto...
      Couldn't agree more. I would be extremely embarrassed riding in a slammed car.

Vehicles
      2015 Mk7 GTI 4-door Autobahn 6MT
      10-09-2012 03:25 PM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by BigFloppy View Post
      Couldn't agree more. I would be extremely embarrassed riding in a slammed car.
      I agree.

Maybe it's cuz I'm 32 and old, I just can't imagine negatively affecting the car's driving dynamics in such a major, fundamental way for purely cosmetic reasons.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 GTI 6
      10-10-2012 12:13 PM #75
      like the wheels centered in the arches, agree that the "my suspension broke" look is over the top, even just for looks.

Vehicles
      2008 T-red GTI manual
      10-10-2012 05:20 PM #76
      I think the proper (and original) term for e-brake (as in emergency brake, not electronic brake) is actually parking brake. It's intented for parking, not for emergency braking... Maybe in 80 y.o. cars it could be used for emergent braking when your rear brakes were more prone to suffer catastrophic failure or not be there at all, lol, but on modern cars regular brakes are always there and working and are always more efficient for braking than good ol' e-brake rear wheels lockup. I can understand concern for manual brake on a RWD car if you really do a lot of stunts, but on a FWD car like GTI it's only eating space and cluttering interior.
      It is true that the majority of the "e-brake" use is for parking and not emergencies. But if you drive a manual trans car, think about how many times you are using your parking brake to hold your car in place, clenching and releasing over and over. That is a lot of action over the years for the relatively complex (vs. cable e-brake) electronics, solenoids/motors, etc in the electronic version to be working. So you add the risk of failure, resulting in expensive repair and likely possibility of getting stranded or even your car rolling away. All this risk for what advantage...MORE CUPHOLDERS?!?

I hate to beat a dead horse, but my dad has a '07 Passat 6MT and his e-e-brake has failed TWICE at $1000 a pop, and the embarrasing consequence of getting stuck/fear of getting stuck, and the need for chock blocks in the driveway. It's really the worst piece of overengineering in a $20k range car and could mean eroding VW's current strides in reliability/perception. At least back in the Mk4 days when your Mass Airflow sensor or seatbelt sensor failed, it had an actual purpose besides freeing up 2 inches of interior space.
      Past cars - 94 T-red Jetta GLX VR6 W.Ed. manual, 05 T-red GTI 1.8T manual
      Family - 07 Jetta 2.5S manual, 07 Passat 2.0T Manual, 09 Tiguan S

7. 10-10-2012 06:24 PM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by TheGermanExperience View Post
      It is true that the majority of the "e-brake" use is for parking and not emergencies. But if you drive a manual trans car, think about how many times you are using your parking brake to hold your car in place, clenching and releasing over and over. That is a lot of action over the years for the relatively complex (vs. cable e-brake) electronics, solenoids/motors, etc in the electronic version to be working. So you add the risk of failure, resulting in expensive repair and likely possibility of getting stranded or even your car rolling away. All this risk for what advantage...MORE CUPHOLDERS?!?

I hate to beat a dead horse, but my dad has a '07 Passat 6MT and his e-e-brake has failed TWICE at $1000 a pop, and the embarrasing consequence of getting stuck/fear of getting stuck, and the need for chock blocks in the driveway. It's really the worst piece of overengineering in a $20k range car and could mean eroding VW's current strides in reliability/perception. At least back in the Mk4 days when your Mass Airflow sensor or seatbelt sensor failed, it had an actual purpose besides freeing up 2 inches of interior space.
      Very well said. And btw vw can also redesign the handbrake so that it takes up less room. Just look at the civic's hand brake for instance. I think I see a shifter, a hand brake, and two, that's right TWO cup holders.

8. 10-10-2012 09:30 PM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by TheGermanExperience View Post
      I use parking brake as much on automatic car as I did on my manuals. Which means, at every stop (an old habit). I'm pretty sure the engineers are not idiots and didn't engineer the electronic brake to only last 10 pulls. Electronics control a lot of things these days, have you thought of ABS, traction control, they also deal with forces far greater than some measly parking brake. So relax, everything will be alright.

9. 10-15-2012 07:32 PM #79
      I have to say, I love the interior of this concept. I hope they don't make any changes for production models.

Vehicles
      2001 gti glx vr6, 1989 s10
      11-13-2012 05:37 PM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by KahviVW View Post
      Are there high-quality up-close photos to compare “Jacky” fabric to "Clark" tartans?

wait which is the ones with the square ones i like those way better

Vehicles
      2015 GTI Autobahn, 04 .:R32 DBP, '87 GTI 16V
      11-14-2012 12:30 PM #81
      My MK7 GTI "Build" - roger2050

A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster. - Jezza

Vehicles
      2010 Golf GTI
      11-14-2012 12:34 PM #82
      There's a bunch of these videos on VW's youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/myvolkswagen/videos?view=0

13. 11-15-2012 08:37 PM #83
      C'mon VW. Let's get these in the showroom already.

Vehicles
      84 Jetta 2.0L 8V Conversion (sold); 99 Passat 1.8t APR S1, Suspension, 17's (current)
      11-17-2012 04:38 PM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by MFactor View Post
      C'mon VW. Let's get these in the showroom already.
      US showrooms you mean. Amen to that.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123