Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: What things to check when car hesitates during WOT?

1. 09-27-2012 12:03 PM #1
      I have a 90 8V that idles smoothly most of the time, Lately it's developed hesitation at WOT only - Other than that it runs fine. Only problem is I recently found a coolant leak from the hot side of the radiator. New radiator ordered already.

Timing hasn't changed, Could use a tune up though. But then why would it only miss on WOT?

It's possible the o2 censor is bad. But wouldn't I get worse gas milage and be running rich too?

Is it possible a vacuum leak could cause this? If so - which line should I check?

Vehicles
      91 Mk2 GTI 16v ABF, 05 Mk5 GTI
      09-27-2012 12:22 PM #2
      1.6 carbo? Vr6?

Vehicles
      + over 7500 posts pre-ban
      09-27-2012 01:00 PM #3
      check your Bentley manual for the testing procedure for the throttle switches....also, you're basically saying the car needs a tune up and to have its vacuum hoses replaced....

come back and talk to us when you fix those things and let us know if you still have the problem...
      My 91 GTI 8V, original owner stylz, yo!: http://smg.photobucket.com/user/pdxg...%20july%202013

4. 09-27-2012 02:02 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by GG. View Post
      1.6 carbo? Vr6?
      8V 1.8 Digi II Engine code RV

Quote Originally Posted by PDXGTI8V 2.0 View Post
      check your Bentley manual for the testing procedure for the throttle switches....also, you're basically saying the car needs a tune up and to have its vacuum hoses replaced....

come back and talk to us when you fix those things and let us know if you still have the problem...
      Thanks, would not have thought to check the switches themselves.

Vehicles
      1991 GTI a.k.a. Blackie, 1995 Golf a.ka. Little Red
      09-27-2012 09:02 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by CaptainAwesome View Post
      8V 1.8 Digi II Engine code RV

Thanks, would not have thought to check the switches themselves.
      since it's a digifant I would not hesitate to put in a new coolant temp sensor. $10 not much of a gamble .
      I finally fixed my sig

Vehicles
      1991 Jetta GL 5 Speed 2001 Audi TT 225q
      09-27-2012 10:54 PM #6
      obstruct catalytic converter could be a culprit

7. 10-03-2012 02:33 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by J.Knipl View Post
      since it's a digifant I would not hesitate to put in a new coolant temp sensor. $10 not much of a gamble .
      So I see people mention this as a possible reason all the time - but I just don't understand why.

Coolant temp should not effect anything. Car's not overheating. I will change it to see if that helps anything.

Also an update to this - it's gotten worse, and I checked the WOT/Idle switches, which are working perfectly.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      G60 on CIS-E and a bunch of other VW's
      10-03-2012 03:39 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by CaptainAwesome View Post
      So I see people mention this as a possible reason all the time - but I just don't understand why.

Coolant temp should not effect anything. Car's not overheating. I will change it to see if that helps anything.

Also an update to this - it's gotten worse, and I checked the WOT/Idle switches, which are working perfectly.
      Becasue the CTS affects the fuel map, especially on Digi.
      It is a thermosistor and should start at about 3K Ohm at ~60F and drop to ~400Ohms at running temp.
      If your CTS does not do this resistance sweep, you A/F map is off on another planet, usually rich and at WOT, causing an overfuel until the engine can clear it's throat.

9. 10-04-2012 04:12 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by nbvwfan View Post
      Becasue the CTS affects the fuel map, especially on Digi.
      It is a thermosistor and should start at about 3K Ohm at ~60F and drop to ~400Ohms at running temp.
      If your CTS does not do this resistance sweep, you A/F map is off on another planet, usually rich and at WOT, causing an overfuel until the engine can clear it's throat.
      Ah- Now I understand why it makes such a difference...