Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Question about camshaft..

1. n00b
      Vehicles
      1987 Fox waGON
      09-27-2012 08:49 PM #1
      Whell as the title said i have q question as what camshaft shoud i use. Im rebuilding a 1.8 8v from a cabrio mk2 to transfer to my fox wagon.. it has a solid lifter head . Im convertig the engine to a doble carburator sistem (delorto 40 side draft) its goin to be a daly driver. So mi question is does the stock camshaft works with that setup of carburators or do i have to install a new one ? If yes, what camshaft is the best ( numbers ) for a daly driven car, i dont whant to race in the wagon but i would like that it runs nicely and has a nice idle,nothing to agresive...

any healp will be deeply apreciated

2. Member
      Vehicles
      90 fox, 85 gli
      09-28-2012 12:44 AM #2
      Yes, you can use the stock cam with carbs.

If you wanted to upgrade on the cheap, you can try to find a cam off an RD motor (86-87 1.8l 8v gti/gli).

Otherwise, there's the 268* cam that should give you the power it should have had all along.

If you don't mind upgrading the valvetrain, the 276* is highly recommended, especially with carbs if you don't mind setting the idle a little higher and having a slight lump. The power is great from what I hear.

As far as cabriolets go, there wasn't one based on the A2 platform.

What year is the cabrio? I'm assuming later on with digifant / hydraulic lifter head?

For the Fox, a nice upgrade would be sourcing a dual outlet manifold and corresponding downpipe (custom if need be). It's really necessary to open up the higher revs.
      I really suck at smog.

3. n00b
      Vehicles
      1987 Fox waGON
      10-01-2012 07:57 PM #3
      i have an 86 gti engine in my shop so maybe it has the camshaft that you say..i goin to take it out an comparing the two.. as for the exaust im making a custom headder from scratch.. thankz for the healp brow..

4. Member
      Vehicles
      92 Jetta GLI 1.6TD Ripper (VNT20 Turbo), 86 GTI (Wolfsburg Golf), 86 Audi Coupe GT
      10-02-2012 04:12 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by R.A.G. View Post
      i have an 86 gti engine in my shop so maybe it has the camshaft that you say..i goin to take it out an comparing the two.. as for the exaust im making a custom headder from scratch.. thankz for the healp brow..
      86 GTI would most likely have an A grind..

not a 268*

any stock US SPEC VW cam is NOT performance oriented..

5. Member
      Vehicles
      90 fox, 85 gli
      10-02-2012 04:13 PM #5
      edit: http://www.techtonicstuning.com/cams.html
      G
      whoa didn't realize PF and RV use the same cam.

It's true it's still quite mild, but compared to the other OEM offerings in America, it's the "best" bet if the budget is $0-20.

edit2: oh ****, I just remembered you have a solid lifter head. do not use the hydro cam.
      Last edited by ziddey; 10-02-2012 at 04:19 PM.
      I really suck at smog.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      92 Jetta GLI 1.6TD Ripper (VNT20 Turbo), 86 GTI (Wolfsburg Golf), 86 Audi Coupe GT
      10-06-2012 04:08 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by ziddey View Post
      edit: http://www.techtonicstuning.com/cams.html
      G
      whoa didn't realize PF and RV use the same cam.

It's true it's still quite mild, but compared to the other OEM offerings in America, it's the "best" bet if the budget is $0-20.

edit2: oh ****, I just remembered you have a solid lifter head. do not use the hydro cam.
      yup, solid lifter heads need solid lifter valves..

if you put a hydro cam in a solid head, it will make the worst clatter you have ever heard in your entire life..

11-04-2012 11:44 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Glegor View Post
      yup, solid lifter heads need solid lifter valves..

if you put a hydro cam in a solid head, it will make the worst clatter you have ever heard in your entire life..
      What about the other way around? Solid lifter cam in a hydro head?
      Current: 2012 Touareg, 2000 TDI, '80 Caddy

Previous: '12 GTI, '10 CC, '04 R32, '57 Oval, '05 GLi, '01 A4, '97 Jetta, '64 Bettle, '00 Jetta, '84 GTI

Vehicles
      Scirocco C30 Stingray
      11-06-2012 09:54 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by ziddey View Post
      If you don't mind upgrading the valvetrain, the 276* is highly recommended, especially with carbs if you don't mind setting the idle a little higher and having a slight lump. The power is great from what I hear.
      From my experience, the 276 cam will only work great if you have lots of mods, like increased displacement, head work, etc. Otherwise you will loose too much bottom end/torque, and it will not wake up the motor in the top end.

Always be conservative when choosing your cam.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Eistreiber
      Yeah, I prefer slow-cooked bacon; and bacon grease saved is great for frying other stuff, adds some good flavor to almost anything. Except maybe tofu, that stuff is beyond help.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

Vehicles
      Scirocco C30 Stingray
      11-06-2012 09:59 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by .:RDUBBIN View Post
      What about the other way around? Solid lifter cam in a hydro head?
      Solid cams and hydro cams don't have the same base circle. Just don't mix them, it will not work.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Eistreiber
      Yeah, I prefer slow-cooked bacon; and bacon grease saved is great for frying other stuff, adds some good flavor to almost anything. Except maybe tofu, that stuff is beyond help.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.