Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insideline Track Tested: 2013 BMW M5

1. Member
      09-27-2012 10:13 PM #1

2. Member
      Vehicles
      Cayman S
      09-27-2012 10:37 PM #2
      I couldn't even consider this thing unless you could completely disable that ridiculous engine sound through the radio garbage.

Vehicles
      1986 Legs and/or 2014 Blue Non-MANual European Turbo Hatch
      09-27-2012 10:44 PM #3
      Compare the sound of the F10 to the sound of the E60.

I'm pretty disappointed that M didn't make the V8TT more vocal for the M application. It sounds really bland.

Vehicles
      F14 Tomcat
      09-27-2012 10:44 PM #4
      The big news over on the BMW boards is there is a stop sale and stop driving recommendation out for the M5 and M6 for a failing oil pump. They're halting production too to get new pumps out to dealers asap.

Vehicles
      2009 Si sedan, 2012 Crosstour 4WD
      09-27-2012 10:52 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      I'm pretty disappointed that M didn't make the V8TT more vocal for the M application. It sounds really bland.
      I did not find that when driving the M6...but I had very low expectations.

Do both cars play the fake engine sounds?

Vehicles
      3.2 VR6 4motion
      09-27-2012 10:59 PM #6
      I can't believe they have to play engine sounds on a vehicle equipped with a V8, let alone one so expensive.

One something like my GTI, I think it's silly...but I understand.

09-27-2012 11:09 PM #7
      It's two-fold. One is that cars are getting more and more sound-deadening, isolating the driver more and more, but it's also got to be partially that so many cars are coming with turbo-chargers which inevitably muffle the exhaust note. My T5 855 doesn't sound anything like the NA 850's (which sound surprisingly good stock).

I still think it's silly though. Every car has a sound, and I want to hear what it really sounds like, because that's a big sensation telling me everything is OK.
      1987 Mercedes 190E 16v Cosworth
      1997 Volvo 855 T5
      2010 Volvo XC90
      2013 Prius Plug-In

8. Member
      Vehicles
      Cayman S
      09-28-2012 12:17 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by zhenya00 View Post
      It's two-fold. One is that cars are getting more and more sound-deadening, isolating the driver more and more, but it's also got to be partially that so many cars are coming with turbo-chargers which inevitably muffle the exhaust note. My T5 855 doesn't sound anything like the NA 850's (which sound surprisingly good stock).

I still think it's silly though. Every car has a sound, and I want to hear what it really sounds like, because that's a big sensation telling me everything is OK.
      It's beyond silly. They should be embarrassed to stoop to something so hacky. If they weren't BMW, the mags would be all over them for it. I can't believe they turned the plot of that horrendous Vince Vaughn movie into a 90k product.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      Cayman S
      09-28-2012 12:17 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by curvedinfinity View Post
      The big news over on the BMW boards is there is a stop sale and stop driving recommendation out for the M5 and M6 for a failing oil pump. They're halting production too to get new pumps out to dealers asap.
      Pumps, of any kind, are just not BMW's forte.

Vehicles
      02 Z06, 13 GTI
      09-28-2012 12:22 AM #10
      I think the engine will sound much better with a less restrictive exhaust. Definitely a car I'd love to drive, but couldn't afford to own.

Vehicles
      2013 VW Beetle Turbo Fender Edition
      09-28-2012 03:10 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by zhenya00 View Post
      but it's also got to be partially that so many cars are coming with turbo-chargers which inevitably muffle the exhaust note.
      I keep hearing that, but then how does one explain why the AMG V8TTs sound like they do?

Vehicles
      2007 Acura TSX / 2013 Toyota Yaris LE
      09-28-2012 03:21 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by SVTJayC View Post
      I couldn't even consider this thing unless you could completely disable that ridiculous engine sound through the radio garbage.
      Im positive a 3rd party will have a device that will disable it. I would hate to have to pay money for something like that, but not as much as I would hate the fact that there is FAKE ENGINE NOISE IN THE SPEAKERS!

Someone will probably find a easier way to remove it, maybe find the module in the car and rip it out. However for all we know that will just end up throwing a code
      Quote Originally Posted by Adam Carolla
      "It shouldn't be called a radar detector, it should be called a rape detector. This is my own little electronic rape whistle."
      (⦿ ⩊ ⦿) ☕︎ Coffee time!!
      (◉ ⩊ ◉) ☕︎☕︎☕︎☕︎☕︎☕︎☕︎☕︎Lots of Coffee time!!!!!!!...

Vehicles
      2015 GTI S, 2006 Mazdaspeed6
      09-28-2012 03:41 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by venom600 View Post
      I keep hearing that, but then how does one explain why the AMG V8TTs sound like they do?
      You keep hearing it, because it's true. I cant explain why the merc sounds the way it does, but turbo cars can be plenty loud when you remove mufflers. But damn do those TTV8s sound amazing.

Vehicles
      2010 BMW 528i
      09-28-2012 07:34 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by venom600 View Post
      This. I think BMW should stop taking the cheap way out and spend some more time getting real sound out of the exhaust.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

15. 09-28-2012 08:54 AM #15
      I don't know why, but this car does nothing for me.

Vehicles
      2009 VW Rabbit; 2015 Honda CBR300r
      09-28-2012 09:03 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Ross1013 View Post
      I did not find that when driving the M6...but I had very low expectations.

Do both cars play the fake engine sounds?
      I know for a fact the m5 does, and im 99% sure the m6 does as well. Im fresh off this months C&D where they review an M6, I cant remember off the top of my head if they mention it or not, but they were testing the Cabrio... BMW is not the only one who plays sounds through the speakers... the GTI does the same thing...
      Quote Originally Posted by MonsterM View Post
      I don't know why, but this car does nothing for me.
      Your not the only one... if I had 6 figures to drop on a car, give me v10 please? Like fuel economy matters in this segment, and like the improvement your going to see with this car is of significant importance anyways...
      Full time manual transmission elitist
      Part time arm chair CEO

09-28-2012 09:42 AM #17
      That stock exhaust sounds pathetic. I hope it was just problem with the sound recording because there is nothing aggressive and intoxicating about watching that land barge launch.
      Sent from my tablet while sipping weak drinks over fancy brunch with a view

18. 09-28-2012 10:16 AM #18
      its sad but like all the honda threads, I just feel BMW but more specifically M has lost its way. If you want a more powerful 5 series that is soft and luxurious, by a 550. If you want one that is sportier with more performance intentions, by an M5 that has less sound deadening that's more of a drivers car. Remember when they didn't make the M8 because they deemed it too heavy and too much of a GT car to me part of the M division? clearly they've changed their ways. Forgive me for not knowing, but do they sell a whole lot of these m5/m6's now? Ive seen a few E60 M5's around but not one of these.
      2010 Camaro SS/RS
      1979 Firebird with some toys-
      2002 Hyundai Accent GL - 89hp of fury.

Vehicles
      2010 BMW 528i
      09-28-2012 10:20 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by dyetrixy07 View Post
      Forgive me for not knowing, but do they sell a whole lot of these m5/m6's now? Ive seen a few E60 M5's around but not one of these.
      They just came out, but they've been selling the one's they've been getting in. There's currently a stop-sale in effect while the oil pump issue is resolved. You can guarantee this model will sell well, as it appeals to a broader market than the previous-gen. Then M division is clearly aligning itself more with AMG. BMW is in the business of selling cars so they will adjust their operations in order to do so. That being said, I love the E63.
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

Vehicles
      2009 Si sedan, 2012 Crosstour 4WD
      09-28-2012 10:25 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by dyetrixy07 View Post
      its sad but like all the honda threads, I just feel BMW but more specifically M has lost its way. If you want a more powerful 5 series that is soft and luxurious, by a 550. If you want one that is sportier with more performance intentions, by an M5 that has less sound deadening that's more of a drivers car.
      The difference between the M and non-M cars is still quite vast. There isn't anything tame about them.

21. 09-28-2012 10:55 AM #21
      The difference between the M and non-M cars is still quite vast. There isn't anything tame about them.
      Agreed! Thats why I like them!

22. 09-28-2012 11:06 AM #22
      Oh no trust me I'm sure they're not tame by any means whatsoever, it just sucks they have to make fake engine noises but I guess like anyone else they want to adjust to move with what their audience wants. I've never driven an M5 but I completely agree that even the new one is quite wild compared to many things. Also, having never been behind the wheel I did not know there was still such a difference in feel between it and the more powerful non-M cars. I'll take your knowledge though, thank you for clearing it up
      2010 Camaro SS/RS
      1979 Firebird with some toys-
      2002 Hyundai Accent GL - 89hp of fury.

Vehicles
      '15 5.0, '13 Focus, '97 Wrangler, '90 Miata
      09-28-2012 11:07 AM #23
      Everybody who plays at this level (or above) uses some sort of trickery for engine noise. Porsche uses noise pipes in the Panamera, even.

That's the price you pay for day-to-day refinement.
      www.leftlanenews.com
      @SSLByron, @leftlanenews
      Domestic Muscle Owners Not-So-Anonymous
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      Can we just have more boob pics, please?

Vehicles
      2010 BMW 528i
      09-28-2012 11:35 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by SSLByron View Post
      Everybody who plays at this level (or above) uses some sort of trickery for engine noise. Porsche uses noise pipes in the Panamera, even.

That's the price you pay for day-to-day refinement.
      I think people were complaining more about an actual speaker making fake noises versus sound pipes, which most people use. I agree though.

Vehicles
      997TT, F80 M3
      09-28-2012 12:06 PM #25
      There is a perfectly logical explanation as to why they had to add some soundtrack artificially. This is due to the layout of the engine. If you remember, the intake and exhaust tracks are reversed on this engine with the exhaust manifold/turbos in the V and TWO separate plastic intake manifolds that run along the outside edges of each cylinder bank. Therein lies the problem:

Most/all car manufacturers use induction noise to add a sporty flair to their cars, in fact whenever you listen to the car commercials you are hearing induction noises almost exclusively. People associate these sounds with sportiness and they are more pleasing to the general audience than a louder exhaust. Sure they could uncork the exhaust more, but people are much more broadly spaced with opinions on exhaust drone, boom, etc. BMW can't rely on this engine for essentially ANY induction noise because with the intake manifold divorced the way they are, it would sound like two funky 4 cylinders whacking away under there. Obviously this aural characteristic is completely unacceptable in the USA BMWs, much less a V8 M series. So no induction noises can make it to the driver, and they are limited on being fairly conservative on the exhaust note to appeal to as many customers as possible. Time to add some soundtrack using the speakers.

I'm sure the aftermarket will more than address the exhaust note complaints. While turbos do muffle the note more than an NA setup, you can still make plenty of noise as you drop heavy mufflers and resonators.
      '07 997.1 TT 6MT: Arctic Silver / Sea Blue. AWE exhaust, PTF custom 93/E85, BBS CH-R in widebody fitment, 5.9 60-130 E85, platform record
      '15 F80 M3 6MT: Alpine White / Sakhir: Exec pkg, LEDs, carbon roof, Harman Kardon, black 19s, etc
      '04 Titan SE Crew Cab
      Past: 300 hp B5 A4, 500 hp Evo 8, 2 450 hp E92 335s, 520hp C6 Z06, and a 750 hp CBA GT-R

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast