Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Navigation not showing correct vehicle location

Vehicles
      07 Passat Wagon 3.6 4Motion, 07 GTI DSG
      09-27-2012 11:43 PM #1
      I got this problem that just seems to have surfaced within the past week. The first time I noticed, I started the car and the navigation showed my position about 12 miles away in the next town over. Now its been doing the same thing nearly every time I start up the navigation. I can correct it sometimes by going into settings/position on map and manually moving the cursor to my correct location. I say sometimes it works, because 50% of the time I can move the cursor to the position I'm at and it will then work just fine but other times the nav will have my heading completely wrong (I'm going north, but nav has me going south) and it will not correct. Sometimes it will just slowly drift off my real position and eventually it won't even be on a road anymore.

Tonight, no matter how many times I tried to correct the nav by moving the cursor, it kept my heading well off of where it should be, practically 180 degrees from the way I was actually going. So as soon as I started moving again the maps would be totally off.

Anyone ever experience this?

- Nick

Vehicles
      09-28-2012 08:00 PM #2
      No one? It seems pretty rare as searches bring up nothing on it

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
      - Nick

3. Member
      Vehicles
      Passat 08 jetta 01 jetta 98 240sx
      09-29-2012 02:47 AM #3
      what kind of equipment do you have?

Oem? China? Aftermarket?

update its software and I don't mean the maps but the whole system software

do you have a set up for the compass¿?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
      DO YOU SPEAK DAS AUTO?

Vehicles
      1993 Passat GLX, 2006 Passat 2.0T
      09-29-2012 03:15 PM #4
      Happen to have a smartphone or stand alone GPS handy? Quick way to find out if you're running into interference, or if it's the GPS in your car.
      -Nick

Vehicles
      09-29-2012 09:40 PM #5
      Its the OEM navigation

This one

There isn't much in the way of set up menus on it, its pretty limited. I do have nav on my smartphone which I can see if it works in the car and see if there is interference.

I'm going to ask one of the guys at our VW branch, I have to take my GTI there on Monday anyways.
      - Nick

Vehicles
      06 Passat 2.0T
      10-04-2012 11:10 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by CoolJetta3 View Post
      Its the OEM navigation

This one

There isn't much in the way of set up menus on it, its pretty limited. I do have nav on my smartphone which I can see if it works in the car and see if there is interference.

I'm going to ask one of the guys at our VW branch, I have to take my GTI there on Monday anyways.
      There is a way to recalibrate but cant remember how but you can search on diff forum as far as I remember there is one just for mfd2 I know because I was getting help there making custom firmware but that was long time ago. http://vwnavi.com/forum.php search here it might be more info.

Vehicles
      10-06-2012 01:51 AM #7
      Thanks for the link! After poking around some threads there (horrible forum format BTW) and some others on mkvgti and turbo diesel forums, I think I might have an older firmware version. I'm going to check what version I have tomorrow.

Seems to have symptoms of an older version: slow loading, still has the "accept" screen every time the unit is powered on, Sirius takes ages to load up, etc. Maybe the messed up/out of sync nav is another symptom. I was messing with the nav today. I would set the cursor on the road I was traveling, but I set it back further than i really was. Eventually the cursor would move on the map past my actual location until it was showing about a 1/10th mile ahead so when I went to make a turn it would screw the whole nav up. No matter what the cursor seems to move slightly ahead of my real position.

As far as I can tell from all the forums, v50 is the newest firmware for this unit. I doubt mine has ever been updated. It still has the 2007 maps DVD so the previous owner probably never messed with it.

The other issue is finding where I can DL v50 to my laptop so I can burn it to a disc, most of the forum threads are from 3-4 years ago and the links are dead. If worst comes to worst I found someone on ebay selling a copy of v50 firmware on a disc for 20 bucks.
      - Nick

Vehicles
      06 Passat 2.0T
      10-06-2012 08:33 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by CoolJetta3 View Post
      Thanks for the link! After poking around some threads there (horrible forum format BTW) and some others on mkvgti and turbo diesel forums, I think I might have an older firmware version. I'm going to check what version I have tomorrow.

Seems to have symptoms of an older version: slow loading, still has the "accept" screen every time the unit is powered on, Sirius takes ages to load up, etc. Maybe the messed up/out of sync nav is another symptom. I was messing with the nav today. I would set the cursor on the road I was traveling, but I set it back further than i really was. Eventually the cursor would move on the map past my actual location until it was showing about a 1/10th mile ahead so when I went to make a turn it would screw the whole nav up. No matter what the cursor seems to move slightly ahead of my real position.

As far as I can tell from all the forums, v50 is the newest firmware for this unit. I doubt mine has ever been updated. It still has the 2007 maps DVD so the previous owner probably never messed with it.

The other issue is finding where I can DL v50 to my laptop so I can burn it to a disc, most of the forum threads are from 3-4 years ago and the links are dead. If worst comes to worst I found someone on ebay selling a copy of v50 firmware on a disc for 20 bucks.
      dont pay money for it just ask the ppl who upload the firmware to uploaded again I am sure someone will be happy to help plus updating just the firmware is a very tricky thing because the map dvd comes with one and one you inserted it will load the old one I have a custom one installed but I create one so you can load dvd copy into the unit but thats an old one too good luck I hope is the nav unit and not the antenna since I know many ppl had issues with that too

Vehicles
      10-11-2012 11:17 PM #9
      I've updated the firmware. It hasn't fixed the navigation issue. Time for an actual vw tech to look at it.
      - Nick