Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Code reader? can't pass smog... need reason why

Vehicles
      1995 Jetta GL, 1999 GMC Sierra SLE, 1992 Accord
      09-28-2012 02:05 AM #1
      Hi Guys!
      I sold my car to a so cal friend and the car can't pass smog... never had a problem before, so I am not sure what's up. Does anyone have a code reader in So Cal that could maybe check? No engine light. Black soot in tail pipe. Car is in Ojai, 30 mins inland from Ventura/Santa Barbara.

Do you guys have anyone in this area that you trust? I am from Nor Cal, so I know who I would take her to, but So Cal and I ma lost as far as VW luv goes.

Background: She has always passed smog w/flying colors. Her last smog was 2 yrs ago in Monterey County. She now has black soot in her tail pipe, which I never noticed while she was up here (Monterey County). I think she might have either an exhaust leak or maybe an O2 sensor issue.. dunno. She hasn't had new sparks for maybe the last 4 yrs. New wires within the last 2. She never ran rich before (I owned her from 2006 to earlier this year, but she was parked in So Cal from late 2011 to maybe May 2012).

Any ideas? shop suggestions? who do you trust down there with your baby? I have a guy, but he is up here, and there is no time to bring her all the way back up here.... no matter the owner, i want my girl ok!

tia!
      just another dubgirl

Vehicles
      2012 VW Golf TDI
      09-28-2012 10:03 AM #2
      There are a couple trustworthy people here in the Santa Barbara area...

The easiest to contact is probably Oscar (rev. oscar). He currently works at the SB VW dealer, and also does work on the side if you ask him nicely

If the car is a TDI, you can also contact Matt: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=297973

If you just need a code or two read, a few of us have basic code readers (myself included).

We have meets every two weeks if the car is drive-able and you want a few different opinions at once. Next meet is October 2, 2012 : http://www.westcoasteuroclub.com/for...c.php?f=7&t=13

Either way... There are quite a few knowledgeable folk around in the area.

Vehicles
      1995 Jetta GL, 1999 GMC Sierra SLE, 1992 Accord
      09-28-2012 11:12 PM #3
      thank you for the information. very much appreciated. stupid question... if she isn't throwing a cel, could she still be logging trouble codes?
      just another dubgirl

Vehicles
      2012 VW Golf TDI
      10-01-2012 09:49 AM #4
      Glad I could help...

Yes she could be storing codes in the ECU even if it is not showing an active CEL.

Vehicles
      1993 Corrado SLC, 2006 WRX Extreme Edition
      10-01-2012 11:31 AM #5
      Hows the gas consumption been? Oil consumption?