Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: There seems to be an explosion of spam recently

Philly (now) <--> Bangkok 5555555 (later)
      Vehicles
      2001 Accord coupe V6 / 2013 Toyota Yaris / 2007 Kawasaki Ninja (DOA), 2005 Team Associated RC18t
      09-28-2012 06:01 AM #1
      Im sure this isn't news to you mods, but just incase your out of the loop, look right below this post, for "Elevator parts", like 6 threads. That plus a lot of new users posting in the lounge (maybe elsewhere but I spend most of my time recently in there), just guys with under 10 posts just making nondescript replies, I guess its to get the numbers up so they can eventually post a FS thread, but Im not sure how that works... or if thats their MO... who knows.
      Quote Originally Posted by Adam Carolla
      "It shouldn't be called a radar detector, it should be called a rape detector. This is my own little electronic rape whistle."
      (ง'̀-'́)ง

2. Vortex Media Group Staff Tim@VMG's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2012 GTI Autobahn
      09-28-2012 07:10 AM #2
      Yeah, we're aware. We spend an inordinate amount of our time fighting spam here. It's the unfortunate consequence of a) being a really large forum that gets a lot of traffic, so we make a nice target and b) using one of the most common forum platforms on the internet.

We've put in various roadblocks and other things to make it harder for spammers, but the unfortunate reality is that we're a big juicy target for their crap, so it's worth their time to find ways.

The best thing you guys can do, as always, is hit the old "report post" button and let us banninate them.

-Tim
      The artist formerly known as SilverSLC
      Forum Rules | How To Use vBulletin

VWVortex | Fourtitude | INR8 | Kilometer Magazine | Swedespeed
      "When you're traveling at lower speeds, and by lower speeds I mean anything under 120 miles per hour..." -Allan McNish

Vehicles
      2003 Ford Focus 2.3, 2006 Ford Fusion 2.3 Turbo, 2014 Fiesta SE 1.0T
      10-04-2012 11:10 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by SilverSLC View Post
      The best thing you guys can do, as always, is hit the old "report post" button and let us banninate them.

-Tim
      Wish that button was a burninate button, that sets the spammer on fire.
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk
      that really comes down to a safety issue too. i mean if you do ANY kind of development, even the most basic stuff, you should at least be closed toe shoe.
      Quote Originally Posted by z0d
      You can't drop a SQL table on your foot.