VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dealership Apologizes for Having customer arrested

1. Member
      Vehicles
      Toyota Sienna Crossover SUV,Nissan GT-R
      09-28-2012 10:38 AM #26
      Police should have called it a civil matter (contract dispute). I've seen them call stolen vehicles on private property a civil matter.

Vehicles
      Some American, British, German, and a bunch of Japanese.
      09-28-2012 10:52 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
      Way to treat a customer....

A fat cash settlement would be the only thing that could erase my memory of this apparent injustice if I was in the customer's shoes.
      Totally. But I do wonder if there is more to this story. Did the dealer try to reason with the customer before calling the cops? Mistakes do happen. Not defending them though, this whole ordeal should never even have involved cops...
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

Vehicles
      98 M3
      09-28-2012 10:55 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Zstampe View Post
      "Swat came into my house, disrespected my family"

4. 09-28-2012 10:56 AM #29

LMAO!!!

5. Member
      Vehicles
      D3 A8L with all the fixins, 4door MK3 VR6T, Roofless MK3 VR6T, Vanagon, Passat Wagon, Jazz Blue VR6
      09-28-2012 11:01 AM #30
      If they screwed some little old lady for an EXTRA $5,500 the dealership would be laughing all the way to the bank. Funny how they get their panties in a wad when they are on the loosing end.

I wonder if they will make aggressive attempts at hindering any warranty/repair claims for his car in the future.
      exklusiv

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8, 96 T&C LXi
      09-28-2012 11:12 AM #31
      I bet there is more to the story than innocent customer arrested by evil dealership.Did the buyer not notice the 5k in content difference?
      Surely he knew the higher content vehicle wouldn't be the exact same price.
      Otoh, the dealer should have reviewed the sales contract.

Didn't we have somebody in TCL that bought a car and later found out the contract was for a different vehicle than what they took home?
      “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

Vehicles
      12 Golf 2.5, 90 Jetta GLI 16v, 99.5 Cabrio Highline, 92 Golf GL
      09-28-2012 11:25 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by ..Derek.. View Post
      I wonder if they will make aggressive attempts at hindering any warranty/repair claims for his car in the future.
      Illegal, of course (though we do know it's possible). But, if I were in his shoes, I'd jump for joy and gladly take my car elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
      Totally. But I do wonder if there is more to this story. Did the dealer try to reason with the customer before calling the cops? Mistakes do happen. Not defending them though, this whole ordeal should never even have involved cops...
      They did try to contact him multiple times... he ust never responded, as he has a right to do.

Vehicles
      03 Jetta GLS 1.8T
      09-28-2012 11:42 AM #33

I never narc'd on nobody! I never narc'd on nobody!
      Quote Originally Posted by emmettlodge View Post
      I said dance bitch. Dance.

09-28-2012 12:00 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by NOLA_VDubber View Post
      Butler Tires & Wheels
      HRE | Savini | Lexani | Forgiato | BBS | Rotiform | RBP | Niche | TSW | Lorinser | Fuel | Black Rhino | Dub| Foose | US Mags | American Force | Vossen | Rennen | Beyern | Brambus | OZ | Enkei | Cray | Conventry | Michelin | Pirelli | Toyo | Procomp | H&R | Corsa | Borla | Eibach | Hotchkis | Remus | Akrapovič

Vehicles
      2002 VW GTI
      09-28-2012 12:08 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by MatchStick View Post
      even if they "apologized" I'd proceed with my lawsuit against them. ruthlessly.
      This.

Sent from my Man Cannon via Tapatalk 2

Vehicles
      '09 Jetta Wolfsburg, 2.0T TSI, DSG, Salsa Red
      09-28-2012 12:13 PM #36
      So the dealership lost $5000, and now to make matters worse, they have a huge negative publicity problem, with the potential to lose a lot more money if the guy decides to sue. One bad mistake after another.

Vehicles
      1998 Jetta GT, 1998 GTI 2.0, 2012 GLI, 2012 GTI
      09-28-2012 12:15 PM #37

Hilariously stupid. I guess this was one big miscommunication.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 TR .:R32, 01 1.8T Jetta, 01 2.0 Jetta, 95 Ram 2500
      09-28-2012 12:19 PM #38
      In having signed paperwork for my house and my car in the last couple months BOTH documents have clauses in them stating clerical errors may be corrected up to 10 days after the signing. I believe this is a NJ law. So if the price was wrong they can change it if it was an error. (They can't just up prices or change warranties etc...) They have to have proof an error was made. Such as another document you signed with the correct amount. Just a thought as to what might explain this. Don't know what the laws or contracts clauses were.

Vehicles
      2013 BMW E93 328i / 2015.5 Volvo XC-60
      09-28-2012 01:07 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by thedevilsequal View Post
      In having signed paperwork for my house and my car in the last couple months BOTH documents have clauses in them stating clerical errors may be corrected up to 10 days after the signing. I believe this is a NJ law. So if the price was wrong they can change it if it was an error. (They can't just up prices or change warranties etc...) They have to have proof an error was made. Such as another document you signed with the correct amount. Just a thought as to what might explain this. Don't know what the laws or contracts clauses were.
      I was just going to make this exact comment. Dealership always has me sign a form that states that if there is an error in the paperwork, I agree that it can be fixed within a certain period of time. Otherwise, dealership can sue for reformation:

"Reformation is generally permitted when either the parties made a mutual mistake or one party made a unilateral mistake and the other engaged in fraud or inequitable conduct." Boyles Bros. Drilling Co. v. Orion Indus., Ltd., supra.
      The dealership made a 'unilateral mistake' in the contract... and the OP knew it.

Unfortunately, the dealership did something very bad by reporting the car as stolen and having the customer falsely arrested. My guess is that they both leave everything as is customer agrees not to sue for the false accusation and the dealership does not sue for the $$$.
      Last edited by BostonB6; 09-28-2012 at 01:15 PM.

09-28-2012 01:09 PM #40
      Better call Saul.
      Butler Tires & Wheels
      HRE | Savini | Lexani | Forgiato | BBS | Rotiform | RBP | Niche | TSW | Lorinser | Fuel | Black Rhino | Dub| Foose | US Mags | American Force | Vossen | Rennen | Beyern | Brambus | OZ | Enkei | Cray | Conventry | Michelin | Pirelli | Toyo | Procomp | H&R | Corsa | Borla | Eibach | Hotchkis | Remus | Akrapovič

Vehicles
      2013 BMW E93 328i / 2015.5 Volvo XC-60
      09-28-2012 01:16 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
      Better call Saul.

17. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      09-28-2012 01:25 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by BostonB6 View Post
      I was just going to make this exact comment. Dealership always has me sign a form that states that if there is an error in the paperwork, I agree that it can be fixed within a certain period of time. Otherwise, dealership can sue for reformation:

"Reformation is generally permitted when either the parties made a mutual mistake or one party made a unilateral mistake and the other engaged in fraud or inequitable conduct." Boyles Bros. Drilling Co. v. Orion Indus., Ltd., supra.
      The dealership made a 'unilateral mistake' in the contract... and the OP knew it.

Unfortunately, the dealership did something very bad by reporting the car as stolen and having the customer falsely arrested. My guess is that they both leave everything as is customer agrees not to sue for the false accusation and the dealership does not sue for the $$$.
      If such a clause was signed and the buyer refused communication during the ten day window,.would that make the original contract void and thus the vehicle the dealership's property again?
      “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

Vehicles
      12 Golf 2.5, 90 Jetta GLI 16v, 99.5 Cabrio Highline, 92 Golf GL
      09-28-2012 01:27 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      If such a clause was signed and the buyer refused communication during the ten day window,.would that make the original contract void and thus the vehicle the dealership's property again?
      And, if he was just "out of touch" (as his statement was he was on vacation), and not explicitly ignoring the dealerhsip, does that affect it also?

19. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      09-28-2012 01:31 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by VDub2625 View Post
      And, if he was just "out of touch" (as his statement was he was on vacation), and not explicitly ignoring the dealerhsip, does that affect it also?
      Are people really out of touch for a week now unless they choose ro not check voice and email messages?

09-28-2012 01:32 PM #45
      Are people really out of touch for a week now unless they choose ro not check voice and email messages?

They said they hand delivered mail to the customer?
      Butler Tires & Wheels

Brooklyn NYC - Current Cars: - '15 VW Touareg TDI Lux '14 VW Autobahn/Nav GLI 6 M/T '01 Accord
      Vehicles
      Previous Cars: '12 Odyssey EX-L '10 Subaru Outback MT '08 BMW 328XI 6MT '08 GTI 6MT '07 Rabbit 5MT -
      09-28-2012 01:33 PM #46
      unreal...
      Looking for a new or used Volkswagen in NY/NJ/CT? PM me! I offer bottom line pricing! GTI Monster Mats & Gorilla Liner for Sale! http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...la-Trunk-Liner

Vehicles
      2013 GTI/S60R/E30 M3 (imported from Nigeria)/Saab 9-5 Aero (imported from Washington)
      09-28-2012 01:35 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by BostonB6 View Post

And how much is it going to cost the dealer to sue for reformation and prove that the guy in the OP was aware of the mistake? Lots more than the $5k.

In CA:

California Civil Code section 3399 provides: "When, through fraud or a mutual mistake of the parties, or a mistake of one party, which the other at the time knew or suspected, a written contract does not truly express the intention of the parties, it may be revised on the application of a party aggrieved, so as to express that intention, so far as it can be done without prejudice to rights acquired by third persons, in good faith and for value." The remedy of reformation is equitable in nature. (Demetris v. Demetris (1954) 125 Cal.App.2d 440, 443. )
      "No sir, I had no idea. They said come and trade the blue one for the black one, no questions asked. Swear!"
      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony
      #FREEPATRIKMAN
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

23. 09-28-2012 02:09 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by Zanardi. View Post
      I speaking more about my conscience personally. I would prefer not to profit due to a typo; everyone makes mistakes.
      well, i guess you're a better person....to each their owni

if its legal to upsell, its also legal to down sell

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Porsche Carrera 991/2011 MINI S
      09-28-2012 02:25 PM #49
      Although the police were never involved, I did have a similar dispute years ago with a Ford dealership that resulted in my bringing the new car back to them.

I go in late on a Saturday afternoon circa 1996 wanting to trade my year old Ford pickup (stupid mistake on my part) for a new Mustang GT. They tell me they can accurately estimate the payoff of my current vehicle based on the payment and time elapsed so they put that figure into the paperwork. We come to an agreement on sales price, trade-in value, fees, etc and I go to the finance guy. They offer what I know is too high of a rate so I say I want to go to my own bank on Monday.
      Dealer tells me to take the Mustang home even though I kind of didn't want too until everything was squared away but did anyway. Monday I contact the bank, loan is arranged and dealer will be funded on Tuesday. Get a call from dealer Tuesday telling me all's well so come in and pick up my copies of all paperwork.
      On Thursday, FIVE days after we wrote up the deal, and two days after it was funded, I get a call from the sales manager saying the payoff for my car was $175 more than they had estimated and they wanted me to bring in a check for that amount. I told him no, he continued to argue, so I told him I'd bring the car back. Got back to the dealer, saw him over in the corner office scowling, and my saleswoman took me out to the back lot in a golf cart to retrieve my truck. Some cars were going to have to be moved, so she left me there while she went back to get some porters and keys to help her. A few minutes later she came back and told me if I still wanted the Mustang, the manager had relented. End of story.
      This was totally their mistake and their policies. They should have never sent me home in a new car unless they were 100% sure of everything. They also could have verified the payoff first thing Monday morning and brought it up then and changed the deal. Instead, they sat on for FIVE days and then wanted to quibble over $175 on a $20K+ car, stupid. I in no way felt morally obligated to pay that extra amount.
      Houston, TX
      2012 Porsche Carrera 991

25. Moderator Oliver@triplezoom's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI Autobahn, 2007 Mini Cooper S
      09-28-2012 02:38 PM #50
      It's possible. I went to Jamaica for a week this year and didn't check my phone/email a single time. 'Twas glorious, really.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast