Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 19 of 19

    Thread: Best diesel??

    1. Semi-n00b
      Join Date
      Sep 28th, 2012
      Location
      Brandywine MD
      Posts
      10
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta TDi
      09-28-2012 03:29 PM #1
      Hey everyone this is my first post here. i've had my 2012 jetta TDI for almost a year now.
      Recently been trying to just learn as much as i can about how it all works. very new to me and interesting the amount of technology in these things. But i was wondering why is the fuel pressure so high ? 26000 psi is crazy. just wondering what that achieves. also who has the "best" diesel fuel? my buddies are always saying oh safeway gas is **** blah blah. i usually get my diesel from a wawa close to me. sometimes a 7-11. i just want to be sure im not getting "bad" fuel.
      Thanks!

    2. Member Rockerchick's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 10th, 2005
      Location
      Cary, NC
      Posts
      5,120
      Vehicles
      '03 BMP 20th GTI, '84 TD Jetta
      09-28-2012 03:55 PM #2
      The "best" diesel fuel comes from a station with high turnover, plain and simple.
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      VW-making mechanics out of owners since 1957.
      The project - '84 Jetta 1.6TD, 186k+, fully rebuilt, Giles IP and injectors, 2.5" custom exhaust, 51mpg
      Hers - '03 BMP 20thAE GTI, 130k, 3" 42DD turbo back, Unitronic Stage 2
      His - '01 Jetta TDI, 135k. Now has 3 pedals, as it should!

    3. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 31st, 2008
      Location
      PNW - Oregon
      Posts
      5,780
      Vehicles
      92 Jetta GLI 1.6TD Ripper (VNT20 Turbo), 86 GTI (Wolfsburg Golf), 86 Audi Coupe GT
      09-28-2012 03:57 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by SMW100 View Post
      Hey everyone this is my first post here. i've had my 2012 jetta TDI for almost a year now.
      Recently been trying to just learn as much as i can about how it all works. very new to me and interesting the amount of technology in these things. But i was wondering why is the fuel pressure so high ? 26000 psi is crazy. just wondering what that achieves. also who has the "best" diesel fuel? my buddies are always saying oh safeway gas is **** blah blah. i usually get my diesel from a wawa close to me. sometimes a 7-11. i just want to be sure im not getting "bad" fuel.
      Thanks!
      i wouldnt soo much worry about who has the best diesel..

      i would worry about keeping my 26,000psi fuel pump well lubricated for a long service life..

      the new ULSD is soo dry of lubricants that it will eat fuel pumps now days..

      if i were you, i would start treating my fuel with something every time you fill up, even if its the cheapest 2 cycle oil you can find..

      i use power service diesel-kleen, Redline diesel catalyst, stanadyne diesel conditioner.. basically whatever is close by at the time of fuel up..

      i often times just run 12oz of 2 cycle oil when i fill up tho.. i add 1oz per gallon of fuel.. (128:1 mix ratio)

      as for the actual fuel tho.. i think diesel is pretty much diesel, no matter where you buy it. just use common sense.. dont buy fuel when the supply truck is dumping the tanks full (and stirring up the sediments in the holding tank) and buy diesel from places that sell LOTS of diesel.. the more diesel a place sells, the cleaner the fuel will be that you buy.

      being that i live in a rural area, i kinda dont have alot of choices on where i get fuel.. safeway, fred meyer, chevron, 76, and the fuel docks are the only places that sell diesel around here.. and the only way to get diesel 24 hours a day, is with a debit/credit card..
      Last edited by Glegor; 09-28-2012 at 04:02 PM.

    4. Member Kaneb's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 29th, 2008
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      507
      Vehicles
      83Rabbit TD, 04jetta tdi sport, 02jetta
      09-28-2012 05:26 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by SMW100 View Post
      But i was wondering why is the fuel pressure so high ? 26000 psi is crazy. just wondering what that achieves.
      It's a common rail fuel system i believe. The reason the fuel pressure is so high is so the eng. can meet epa emission laws. In the short of it higher injection pressures cause larger fuel atomization which equals a cleaner burn which allows them to hit emission targets easier.
      IG-@Kane86
      83 Rabbit TD-CAT themed diesel http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...+themed+rabbit
      04 Jetta sport TDI-Daily
      02 Jetta 1.8t-Wifes

    5. Member Rockerchick's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 10th, 2005
      Location
      Cary, NC
      Posts
      5,120
      Vehicles
      '03 BMP 20th GTI, '84 TD Jetta
      09-28-2012 05:50 PM #5
      With regards to using additives, I'd go read up on TDIClub about it. The topic of additives has been discussed a lot with these new Clean Diesels.
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      VW-making mechanics out of owners since 1957.
      The project - '84 Jetta 1.6TD, 186k+, fully rebuilt, Giles IP and injectors, 2.5" custom exhaust, 51mpg
      Hers - '03 BMP 20thAE GTI, 130k, 3" 42DD turbo back, Unitronic Stage 2
      His - '01 Jetta TDI, 135k. Now has 3 pedals, as it should!

    6. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 31st, 2008
      Location
      PNW - Oregon
      Posts
      5,780
      Vehicles
      92 Jetta GLI 1.6TD Ripper (VNT20 Turbo), 86 GTI (Wolfsburg Golf), 86 Audi Coupe GT
      09-28-2012 09:29 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Rockerchick View Post
      With regards to using additives, I'd go read up on TDIClub about it. The topic of additives has been discussed a lot with these new Clean Diesels.


      totally forgot that its a clean diesel..

    7. Semi-n00b
      Join Date
      Sep 28th, 2012
      Location
      Brandywine MD
      Posts
      10
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta TDi
      09-29-2012 12:38 AM #7
      Thanks everyone,
      I will go check out TDI forum. and that makes sense about the atomization. i was just curios.
      Thanks!

    8. Junior Member Pawelpdp's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 3rd, 2007
      Location
      Philadelphia
      Posts
      35
      Vehicles
      2009 Jetta TDI
      10-03-2012 08:08 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by SMW100 View Post
      Hey everyone this is my first post here. i've had my 2012 jetta TDI for almost a year now.
      Recently been trying to just learn as much as i can about how it all works. very new to me and interesting the amount of technology in these things. But i was wondering why is the fuel pressure so high ? 26000 psi is crazy. just wondering what that achieves. also who has the "best" diesel fuel? my buddies are always saying oh safeway gas is **** blah blah. i usually get my diesel from a wawa close to me. sometimes a 7-11. i just want to be sure im not getting "bad" fuel.
      Thanks!
      1. Make sure that you buy fuel from a high volume station.


      Quote Originally Posted by Glegor View Post
      i wouldnt soo much worry about who has the best diesel..

      i would worry about keeping my 26,000psi fuel pump well lubricated for a long service life..

      the new ULSD is soo dry of lubricants that it will eat fuel pumps now days..

      if i were you, i would start treating my fuel with something every time you fill up, even if its the cheapest 2 cycle oil you can find.. NOT A GOOD IDEA ON A CR TDI.

      i use power service diesel-kleen, Redline diesel catalyst, stanadyne diesel conditioner.. basically whatever is close by at the time of fuel up..

      i often times just run 12oz of 2 cycle oil when i fill up tho.. i add 1oz per gallon of fuel.. (128:1 mix ratio) IT'S OK FOR NON CR TDI BUT WILL HARM PDF ON CR.

      as for the actual fuel tho.. i think diesel is pretty much diesel, no matter where you buy it. just use common sense.. dont buy fuel when the supply truck is dumping the tanks full (and stirring up the sediments in the holding tank) and buy diesel from places that sell LOTS of diesel.. the more diesel a place sells, the cleaner the fuel will be that you buy.

      being that i live in a rural area, i kinda dont have alot of choices on where i get fuel.. safeway, fred meyer, chevron, 76, and the fuel docks are the only places that sell diesel around here.. and the only way to get diesel 24 hours a day, is with a debit/credit card..
      SMW, keep in mind that your CR TDI is equipped with filters in the exhaust. Do not use any "oils" as a fuel lubricant because you might end up clugging a very expensive parts.

      Power Service diesel kleen will do the job.

    9. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 31st, 2008
      Location
      PNW - Oregon
      Posts
      5,780
      Vehicles
      92 Jetta GLI 1.6TD Ripper (VNT20 Turbo), 86 GTI (Wolfsburg Golf), 86 Audi Coupe GT
      10-03-2012 01:06 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Glegor View Post


      totally forgot that its a clean diesel..
      Quote Originally Posted by Pawelpdp View Post
      1. Make sure that you buy fuel from a high volume station.




      SMW, keep in mind that your CR TDI is equipped with filters in the exhaust. Do not use any "oils" as a fuel lubricant because you might end up clugging a very expensive parts.

      Power Service diesel kleen will do the job.
      i corrected myself already..

      just didnt go into detail as to why its bad, like you did..

      thanks for making that clear.. i would feel bad if he killed his car cause i told him 2 cycle oil works..

    10. Member Ziptied's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 1st, 2009
      Location
      Campbellsport, Wisconsin
      Posts
      603
      Vehicles
      91 gti with six cylinders / 83 jetta turbo diesel / 98 jetta tdi
      10-03-2012 06:09 PM #10
      I know that truckstops are the worst place to get diesel, this is why many owner operator truck drivers use diesel additives.

      I have read that BP has the best diesel fuel and requires no additives but i dont like giving them my money

    11. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 11th, 2005
      Location
      Ann Arbor, MI
      Posts
      726
      Vehicles
      09 jetta tdi, 06 RRS
      10-03-2012 08:18 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Ziptied View Post
      I know that truckstops are the worst place to get diesel, this is why many owner operator truck drivers use diesel additives.

      I have read that BP has the best diesel fuel and requires no additives but i dont like giving them my money

      Be careful with BP. All my local BP's run 5-20% bio. As most know vw does not approve above 5% bio in the CR tdi's. I avoid them because this issue.

    12. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 12th, 2005
      Location
      Milwaukee, WI
      Posts
      1,906
      Vehicles
      1986 IDI Golf, 329K Miles.
      10-04-2012 12:43 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by gtboost View Post
      Be careful with BP. All my local BP's run 5-20% bio. As most know vw does not approve above 5% bio in the CR tdi's. I avoid them because this issue.
      I seriously doubt that because biodiesel is very expensive. I buy 5 gallons at a time to add a quart per approx 12-13 gallon tankful to my old IDI diesel to make sure that the lubricity is there in case someone along the supply chain forgot to add the lubricity needed due to the sulfur removal process which takes out the inherent lubricity needed for your pump and injectors. My last 5 gallon plastic pail cost around $8 per gallon. My inj. pump is original with the original seals; does not leak.

      Where I live I can buy Gold diesel fuel from a nearby Fleet Farm; have had no problem with that or BP which I have often used also. BP is my reliable alternative when Gold is not convenient. Gold used to claim 5% more mileage but I have not checked that recently.

    13. 10-04-2012 09:17 AM #13
      I run BP in my diesels. I see a noticable improvement in mileage everytime I am stuck and have to fill up elsewhere. The BP runs around 4 mpg better on average than the other stations I have to choose from, which include Marathon, Speedway, and 76.
      I like 1.6l and 1.9l Diesels

    14. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 11th, 2005
      Location
      Ann Arbor, MI
      Posts
      726
      Vehicles
      09 jetta tdi, 06 RRS
      10-04-2012 09:52 PM #14
      You seriously doubt what?

      There is a sticker on the pumps that say "contains 5-20% biodiesel". Not much to doubt there.

      Quote Originally Posted by Tinker Toy View Post
      I seriously doubt that because biodiesel is very expensive. I buy 5 gallons at a time to add a quart per approx 12-13 gallon tankful to my old IDI diesel to make sure that the lubricity is there in case someone along the supply chain forgot to add the lubricity needed due to the sulfur removal process which takes out the inherent lubricity needed for your pump and injectors. My last 5 gallon plastic pail cost around $8 per gallon. My inj. pump is original with the original seals; does not leak.

      Where I live I can buy Gold diesel fuel from a nearby Fleet Farm; have had no problem with that or BP which I have often used also. BP is my reliable alternative when Gold is not convenient. Gold used to claim 5% more mileage but I have not checked that recently.

    15. Member SoSoA3's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 10th, 2012
      Location
      Socal
      Posts
      692
      Vehicles
      2013 Bagged A3 TDI
      10-05-2012 11:59 AM #15
      How do you know if the gas station is a high volume one or not?

    16. Junior Member Pawelpdp's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 3rd, 2007
      Location
      Philadelphia
      Posts
      35
      Vehicles
      2009 Jetta TDI
      10-06-2012 08:10 AM #16
      If it's on your daily commute route, just keep an eye for vehicles pumping diesel.

    17. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 31st, 2008
      Location
      PNW - Oregon
      Posts
      5,780
      Vehicles
      92 Jetta GLI 1.6TD Ripper (VNT20 Turbo), 86 GTI (Wolfsburg Golf), 86 Audi Coupe GT
      10-06-2012 02:11 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by gtboost View Post
      You seriously doubt what?

      There is a sticker on the pumps that say "contains 5-20% biodiesel". Not much to doubt there.
      yup, there is a federal mandate that makes ALL pump diesel ATLEAST 5% bio diesel now..

    18. 10-06-2012 04:33 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by SoSoA3 View Post
      How do you know if the gas station is a high volume one or not?
      Look for the acronym HVGS for high volume gas station. If they haven't put up the sign yet, then you can judge by the ammount of cars entering empty and leaving filled. Or you see the tankers there a lot.
      I like 1.6l and 1.9l Diesels

    19. Banned 85_305's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 31st, 2008
      Location
      Buffalo, NY
      Posts
      3,950
      Vehicles
      1999.5 Jetta TDI 5spd, MODDED
      10-09-2012 11:49 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by SMW100 View Post
      Hey everyone this is my first post here. i've had my 2012 jetta TDI for almost a year now.
      Recently been trying to just learn as much as i can about how it all works. very new to me and interesting the amount of technology in these things. But i was wondering why is the fuel pressure so high ? 26000 psi is crazy. just wondering what that achieves. also who has the "best" diesel fuel? my buddies are always saying oh safeway gas is **** blah blah. i usually get my diesel from a wawa close to me. sometimes a 7-11. i just want to be sure im not getting "bad" fuel.
      Thanks!
      They use high pressure fuel to obtain silly hp/tq numbers, maximum efficiency, ease of cold-starting, ultra low emissions, etc.

      Quote Originally Posted by Kaneb View Post
      It's a common rail fuel system i believe. The reason the fuel pressure is so high is so the eng. can meet epa emission laws. In the short of it higher injection pressures cause larger fuel atomization which equals a cleaner burn which allows them to hit emission targets easier.
      Read above on why CR's use ultra high fuel pressure.

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •