Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Looking for a part: Rear apron for 1967 VW 1500 Beetle

1. 09-28-2012 05:04 PM #1
      Maybe it's a bit weird to open a topic for this, but I'm pretty desperate

I'm currently restoring a 1967 Volkswagen Beetle with original 1500 H-engine. It's a EU-spec (because it's a German car, and I live in Holland).

This modelyear has a few details which are only for the 1967, like the rear apron. The plate around the engine hood is slightly different in this year. A 1966 has a longer bonnet, and a 1968 a shorter one.

I can't find any good aprons in Europe, so I'm trying my luck on this Internatiol forum. Who has/knows are thinks he can find one? A great tip is very welcome!

2. Member
      10-02-2012 12:55 AM #2

Dayo Coupé ,
      Things are not lookin' much better over on this side of the pond:
      http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-a...w=1280&bih=806 .
      Probably best to get a good used one from a wrecker that's been whacked in the front.
      What's wrong with the one you're showing? .

3. 10-02-2012 04:06 PM #3
      Well, here in Holland there is not a single 1967 for parts. I got good connections with Germany, but they don't have anything there either.

Do you know a company in the USA who has lot's of wrecked Beetles? I think the 67-model is more common in the USA than in Europe. But I'm not for sure it's completely the same, because the front is also different.

The problem with this one is that there isn't any structure in the plate. When we got the paint removed, it looked like this:

Not the biggest problem, so we welded the pieces:

But now, thanks to the weight on this panel, it's bent in multiple places. Maybe we can straigt it up, but because the Beetle is in an incredible good shape we really like to have an other panel.

It has to look as good as our old one: