Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 16V coolant flow for endurance racer

1. Member
      09-28-2012 05:42 PM #1
      I'd like to simplify the piping and maximize the cooling efficiency of our 16V Chump/Lemons endurance racer.

We struggle to keep it cool when really pushing hard now that it's been turbocharged.... Checking the radiator 'cool side outlet' with a IR gun shows that it is NOT heat-soaked and still has the ability to shed more heat. It's almost like the engine & water pump are not pushing as much hot fluid through the radiator as needed. Water pump is a metal impeller German unit; 160F thermostat is tested good.

It seems like a large amount of 'hot' coolant is routed back to the the water pump inlet (top two ports) with the factory setup - a wasted cooling opportunity. I'd like to send 98% of hot coolant directly to the radiator from the front engine coolant port, leaving only a minimal return of hot coolant circulating to the water pump inlet to operate the thermostat.

Can the water port on the side of the head be safely blocked off with a plate? Do the end 2 cyls need that coolant flow there? Will a temp gauge mounted there still be accurate if the port is blocked of?

Thanks for any thoughts. Proven experience with this topic would be especially appreciated.

Vehicles
      FSP. ITB,wide body,Chumpcar
      09-29-2012 08:25 PM #2
      I use a "blocking Plug" in the bypass hose. It consist of a freeze plug that slips into the hose and is clamped near the upper head port. Drill one or two 1/8 holes in it so that you may bleed it .

On my Boosted car I dont use a T stat. just the hose block. I also have had no issues using the head outlet for the temp sender. I just tap the outlet for the sender and screw it in. It is pretty common. My book covers most of this and lots more.
      I have come up with a nice cheap oil pressure" accusump" style tank.
      Pics can be found on my site under" Cheaps" in the phot section along with my cars./
      MM
      The http://www.fwdracingguide.com/ Money back guarantee!, You can go 100$ faster with this 20$ guide
      Mike and Michael Ogren, Protech Racing,25 yrs of Racing VWs. mogren@tampabay.rr.com[/email], 352.428/8983
      ]