Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: TDI Turbo...it is variable vein?

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2013 JSW TDI DSG
      09-28-2012 10:23 PM #1
      Trying to determine if my 2013 TDI turbo is a variable vein turbo or not. There is enormous amount of off throttle decelerating...far more than one would expect. I have never driven a diesel that slows this fast unless it had some sort exhaust brake (not to be confused with a Jake type brake). My last Dodge had a variable vein turbo and there are some neat things that can be done with that system.

Thanks.
      1984 GTI bought new...Auto X queen
      1977 Rabbit lots of different motors 1700 lbs...fun
      1985 Golf Rally car
      1985 Scirocco Wolfsburg Turbo, bought new, Oettinger head, turbo, BBS
      2013 JSW TDI DSG...current VW...nice to be back in the game!

2. Member
      Vehicles
      10 JSW TDI, 12 R
      09-28-2012 10:52 PM #2
      It is a variable vein turbo, but the hold back comes from the DPF mostly.

3. n00b
      Vehicles
      2013 Candy White JSW
      09-28-2012 11:19 PM #3
      Just bought a '13 JSW w/DSG (first diesel) and notice the same. Feels like when slowing down to a stop the car shifts into first gear. It noticeably throws me and passengers forward (head-nod forward). Is this considered normal and beneficial?

Vehicles
      2011 JSW TDI 6MT
      09-29-2012 02:17 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by ToeBall View Post
      It is a variable vein turbo, but the hold back comes from the DPF mostly.
      This.
      Quote Originally Posted by latebraker67 View Post
      Just bought a '13 JSW w/DSG (first diesel) and notice the same. Feels like when slowing down to a stop the car shifts into first gear. It noticeably throws me and passengers forward (head-nod forward). Is this considered normal and beneficial?
      Yes the DSG does downshift and act weird, if it is too jerky take it in for them to look at.

5. n00b
      Vehicles
      2013 Candy White JSW
      09-29-2012 04:40 PM #5
      Good to know about the DSG characteristics. After driving a bit last night and today it downshifted pretty smooth and wasn't very noticeable. I forgot to mention in my first post that the jerky downshift only happened a few times. So far I like the overall feel of the tranny.

My last Dodge had a variable vein turbo and there are some neat things that can be done with that system.
      Cat Butt,
      Can you tell us a little about what neat things are possible and if they apply to our cars?

Thanks
      Last edited by latebraker67; 09-29-2012 at 04:44 PM.

Vehicles
      The Standard of the World | Das Auto | Feed Your Restless
      09-29-2012 06:20 PM #6

BTW I heard a little rumor from someone at a big tuning company... Bosch makes the injectors and turbo for the TDI Cup Cars and there might be a way for consumers to order them.
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Quote Originally Posted by GoForBroke View Post
      I'm noticing more and more that Aonarch has some of the better comments.
      Aye, I do.

Vehicles
      10 JSW TDi
      09-29-2012 07:36 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post

BTW I heard a little rumor from someone at a big tuning company... Bosch makes the injectors and turbo for the TDI Cup Cars and there might be a way for consumers to order them.
      The actual race version right? We are already waiting for turbo kits that are already in development with an expected output of 250BHP.
      I heard a rumor today that the new TDI's were supposed to put out 200+ HP anyone know about that?
      https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...levant_count=1
      2010 Sportwagen_ 92 Corrado G60

Vehicles
      09-29-2012 09:30 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by CRJSW View Post
      The actual race version right? We are already waiting for turbo kits that are already in development with an expected output of 250BHP.
      I heard a rumor today that the new TDI's were supposed to put out 200+ HP anyone know about that?
      https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...levant_count=1
      Bosch makes the turbo, injectors, and manifold, so honestly you wouldn't need a kit besides that.

My point is if you reach out enough you might be able to order one.

The tuning company I spoke with has the Bosch "kit" on a JSW already.
      Aye, I do.

9. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2013 JSW TDI DSG
      09-30-2012 01:53 AM #9
      Well, I have no idea about "our" cars and hence why I am asking. But with my dodge, the VVT was used to help warm the truck faster. The VVT was also used as an exhaust brake, the programmer I had allowed me to decide how much braking effect the VVT provided. From the factory the Dodge turned the exhaust brake off every time the truck was shut off...the programmer kept the brake in the same state it was in when the truck was turned off.

I would think similar things could be done to these cars. I actually like the braking of the VVT as I went 100,000 miles on my Dodge 3500 on the same brake pads. But it might be nice to turn it off depending on the topography and traffic.

There is another flap device in the exhaust stream...what the heck does that do? It is past the DPF or near it anyways.
      1985 Golf Rally car

10. Member
      Vehicles
      10 JSW TDI, 12 R
      09-30-2012 08:05 AM #10
      My Dodge has the old B series 12-valve so I didn't have any of that functionality. Tuning is done with some adjustment screws and wheels and a torque plate.

That said, our cars use the EGR to speed warmup and that flapper you asked about is part of the EGR/DPF system. I don't know that the variable veins are used for anything other than controlling boost. You could drop an email to Malone and see what he says.

Vehicles
      10 JSW TDi
      09-30-2012 11:16 AM #11
      Bosch makes the turbo, injectors, and manifold, so honestly you wouldn't need a kit besides that.

My point is if you reach out enough you might be able to order one.

The tuning company I spoke with has the Bosch "kit" on a JSW already.
      Ill take the injectors but they can keep the turbo. Ill take GTB or other and I'm already over 170BHP anyway. Next Stop for me is 250+ maybe even the HP EGR delete to get up a little on hp for now.

Vehicles
      10-01-2012 02:50 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by CRJSW View Post
      Ill take the injectors but they can keep the turbo. Ill take GTB or other and I'm already over 170BHP anyway. Next Stop for me is 250+ maybe even the HP EGR delete to get up a little on hp for now.
      Are you Malone DPF delete?
      Aye, I do.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 VW JSW TDI
      10-01-2012 04:20 PM #13
      from my understanding the tdi cup cars were euro tdi's with turbo/tune/injectors there might be some differences but from multi people ive heard this.

as far as turbo kits go, there are a couple people trying to get this going, i know of one that i think has stopped for other reasons not relating to the kit. on tdiclub*gasp* there are a couple people on there trying to get the ball rolling on what can be done and not done. from my understanding talking with Mark at Malone that the 140HP tdi engine which we have is almost maxed out with the stage 2 tune. There is a higher more agressive tune but the benifits do not out weigh the cost when i looked into it. The turbo is the bottleneck on the power output. It sounded like the injectors can get some more out of them with a upgraded turbo. but at the time of doing a turbo upgrade you could prob just go head and do the injectors.
      But with all that said, i dont think it would be a cheap upgrade with the turbo kit. I know the gasser dudes on the 2.0T world do a stage 3/4 kit for 6k$ and they have like 300+ hp while we would be lucky to get 250 hp with the kit and high cost of the kit. but ill just wait and see not in any rush.
      Bunch of stuff.

Vehicles
      2012 Jetta Sportwagen
      10-01-2012 06:53 PM #14
      I have a stage II tune from Malone, a DSG tune with a DPF delete. I have trouble getting the power down to the ground in first and second. Just wants to spin the tires or light up the traction control.

I don't think the cost of the turbo and injectors would be worth it unless you also did an all wheel drive swap. You really could never fully use it.

I do want more power in the 60 to 80MPH range just in case some one thinks they can easily put a spanking on me. So I'm looking into a propane system that I can switch on when needed. Unless someone can talk me out of it.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      10' JSW TDI
      10-02-2012 07:40 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Im Rondo View Post
      I have a stage II tune from Malone, a DSG tune with a DPF delete. I have trouble getting the power down to the ground in first and second. Just wants to spin the tires or light up the traction control.

I don't think the cost of the turbo and injectors would be worth it unless you also did an all wheel drive swap. You really could never fully use it.

I do want more power in the 60 to 80MPH range just in case some one thinks they can easily put a spanking on me. So I'm looking into a propane system that I can switch on when needed. Unless someone can talk me out of it.
      Or start looking at a Peloquin Limited slip for FWD cars so you don't have to invest $$$$ into your car for grip.
      Malone Stage 2/Rawtek Downpipe&Midpipe/Banks 3" exhaust/S3 Intercooler/H&R Rear Swaybar/Neuspeed endlinks/Golf R steering wheel/GTD shifter/GTD E-Brake/GTD grille/Smoked Side markers/Stainless steel ECS brake lines/Tyrolsport Caliper stiffening kit/Highline CECM/OEM Xenon Lights/OEM Fog Lights/VMR708 wheels/KW V3 Coilovers

Vehicles
      2012 Jetta Sportwagen
      10-02-2012 09:55 PM #16
      Sure why not. I already dropped 5 grand plus on the car

17. Member
      Vehicles
      10' JSW TDI
      10-02-2012 10:39 PM #17
      Sure why not. I already dropped 5 grand plus on the car
      This is my future too. After a full exhaust and Malone stage 2 though I'm putting the credit card away for a bit.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
      Malone Stage 2/Rawtek Downpipe&Midpipe/Banks 3" exhaust/S3 Intercooler/H&R Rear Swaybar/Neuspeed endlinks/Golf R steering wheel/GTD shifter/GTD E-Brake/GTD grille/Smoked Side markers/Stainless steel ECS brake lines/Tyrolsport Caliper stiffening kit/Highline CECM/OEM Xenon Lights/OEM Fog Lights/VMR708 wheels/KW V3 Coilovers

Vehicles
      10 JSW TDi
      10-05-2012 12:31 AM #18

I have all that too, no issue with traction here. I do have 6mt though and a descent zr rated tire.

Vehicles
      10 JSW TDi
      10-05-2012 12:33 AM #19
      Are you Malone DPF delete?
      Yep,

Vehicles
      '95 e36 m3, '04 e60 530i sport
      10-05-2012 07:07 AM #20
      what tires are you using? I bet that can be improved
      PNWfahren - Pacific Northwest Regional Car Enthusiast Forum Community
      2009 VW SportWagen TDI sold =-=-= 1995 M3 -=- 2004 530i

21. Member
      Vehicles
      Various Variants
      10-05-2012 07:38 AM #21
      I think this thread was started to see whether the TDI

(1) Has a variable vane turbo
      (2) If so, does VW make use of this variability to provide engine braking

I haven't found an answer to (2). My guess...opinion not fact...is that VW hasn't provided this capability in a JSW. My reasoning is based on the light weight of the JSW, but that doesn't make me right. Why would be nice to know, but if is more important/relevant.

I think this a worthwhile question because my DSG TDI slows rapidly when in drive and with my foot off the "gas." When in Neutral, it coasts pretty well. So the explanation is with the engine, drivetrain, or some combination. Could be that VW rigged up the TDI's turbo to help us slow down without touching the brakes.

Vehicles
      '95 e36 m3, '04 e60 530i sport
      10-05-2012 07:54 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Outrider6 View Post
      I think this thread was started to see whether the TDI

(1) Has a variable vane turbo
      (2) If so, does VW make use of this variability to provide engine braking

I haven't found an answer to (2). My guess...opinion not fact...is that VW hasn't provided this capability in a JSW. My reasoning is based on the light weight of the JSW, but that doesn't make me right. Why would be nice to know, but if is more important/relevant.

I think this a worthwhile question because my DSG TDI slows rapidly when in drive and with my foot off the "gas." When in Neutral, it coasts pretty well. So the explanation is with the engine, drivetrain, or some combination. Could be that VW rigged up the TDI's turbo to help us slow down without touching the brakes.
      what slows the TDI has already been mentioned here:

1) dsg downshifts.. obviously does not apply to manual cars
      2) the dpf flap closes..
      PNWfahren - Pacific Northwest Regional Car Enthusiast Forum Community
      2009 VW SportWagen TDI sold =-=-= 1995 M3 -=- 2004 530i

23. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2013 JSW TDI DSG
      10-05-2012 01:21 PM #23
      From my experience (not specific to TDI) I still feel the veins are closing down. Since diesels do not have a throttle plate any pressure built up on the intake side will push out of the intake. Pressure on the exhaust side would de-spool the turbo unless there was a something like a BOV in the flow (of course there is not one on the exhaust side) OR the veins went flat to keep. I wonder if there is a way to see the actuation in VAG somewhere?
      1985 Golf Rally car