Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: RUST in your Trunk opener

Vehicles
      VW Passat B6 2006,Golf TDI 2013 Tech
      09-28-2012 10:57 PM #1
      Well.. Tired to see that chrome rust in my trunk opener y decided to replace it! It looks like the clear coat of the logo is starting to peel off at the bottom.

Got another one with a different design the logo is not flat like the original, because is a 08 I guess but whatttt! Surprise!😱... Rust! At the bottom of the opening, I guess is because of the water sitting there. I know! I park my car outside all time year around .. Rain snow heat .. Storms..... But I take care of it with a weekly bath and 2 months wax.
      Ok so I decided to get rid of the rust, remove it ant paint it.. So first thing I did was to use my dremel
      then I use some rust remover , clean it , then I used rust oleum reformer..
      A light sanding with fine grid sand paper , then duplicolor primer...and touch up paint.. Couldn't find the right color but you will not see it anyway, a couples coats then clear and that's it! In my case I had to go a little more at the edge so I had to use my touch up VW paint set😁
      Let it dry and put the new opener
      But just in case I put some clear silicon in all the bottom and like 1/2 inch hight in the back like building some pitch so water runs straight down and That is all folks!
      Here is the finished product..
      Thanks .

Thanks to Mimi❤ for all the encourage to get this done!
      Last edited by miki2006; 09-28-2012 at 11:01 PM.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      Passat 08 jetta 01 jetta 98 240sx
      09-29-2012 02:11 AM #2
      Nice Job... But You should know that rust in the rear lid, trunk seems to be common on or cars and its covered under warranty up to 100k miles i believe

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
      DO YOU SPEAK DAS AUTO?

Vehicles
      03 Jetta GL & 09 JSW TDI
      12-26-2012 09:30 PM #3
      I am going to do this on my car now, too. So thanks for the pics, shows that it actually can be done. Mine has lost ore paint already, so it really looks ugly right now. I figure even if I don't get a perfect match with the new paint, it will be better than the rust.
      And this is not covered under the rust warranty, btw. The VW rust warranty only covers perforation, so you have to wait until it actually rusts a hole into the metal.
      Owning a VW is like having a hot girlfriend that's mentally unstable