Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Strange Airlift issue? Terrible clunking

Vehicles
      04 GLI
      09-29-2012 03:58 PM #1
      Mk4 Gli 160k on the clock with Airlift XL's....about ~2 years or so now.

A run down of recently replaced items:

rear ca bushings
      both front wheel bearings
      ds axle (rebuilt)
      inner and outter tie rods on both sides
      dog bone mount

The car has a front end clunk on the driver side (occasionally i'll hear it on the passenger side as well), when turning the wheel while going slow...forward and reverse. Over the last 2 weeks or so, the car has now started to clunk when hitting any bump in the road on the driver side. Driving down the highway is terrible over 60mph as there is an intermittent vibration in the steering wheel and floor. The wheels were balanced a couple weeks ago, so I doubt the vibration is wheel / tire related.

Today I changed the inner and outer tie rods as my mechanic told me they were bad. He did say the rack was fine. The control arm bushings (rear) were replaced about 2 years ago as well, along with the wheel bearings.

The reason I'm asking if it's airlift related is the car (as of the last month) is sitting about a 1/4-1/2" lower at the same psi I've always driven at. Recently when dumped, the fenders are also almost touching the lip of the wheel (18's). It's that noticeable. Prior, the fender was a good 1/2" or so from the lip of the wheel.

What are some ways I can try and diagnose the problem my self? Note: the motor mounts are original minus the dogbone.

MK3 Golf Trek | MK4 Jetta VF VR6 | MK3 GTi VR6T | MK4 R32 | MK4 GLi | MK5 Rabbit

Vehicles
      04 GLI
      09-30-2012 11:25 PM #2
      Mods please delete this useless thread
      MK3 Golf Trek | MK4 Jetta VF VR6 | MK3 GTi VR6T | MK4 R32 | MK4 GLi | MK5 Rabbit