Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 16 of 16

    Thread: salary negotiations question

    1. 09-29-2012 06:43 PM #1
      Hi all, I wanted to ask for some input on salary negotiation.
      I have been offered a job with a large local employer. Benefit package matches, maybe even slightly exceeds what my current employer offers (been with them over five years). They have called me couple of days after the interview and after informing me that they would like to have me on the team we started talking $$. After a bit of back-and-forth from both sides I've [foolishly] thrown a number into the conversation. It was a bit higher then what I make now Later that day they came back with an offer that was a little lower then what I told them I'd like.
      I'm supposed to get back to them in the next couple of days, and my questions is: do I still try to negotiate for higher pay or agree and accept the offer they made me (would really want to work at this place, but still happy with current employer). I realize if I'm too firm they may say they can't match what I'm asking I may have to walk away form this opportunity.
      Thanks!

    2. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 11th, 2009
      Location
      Lewiston, Maine
      Posts
      4,666
      Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg Jetta
      09-30-2012 09:56 AM #2
      You can either accept their offer and make less money or stay where you are. What's the decision?
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      Tax? I don't mind paying state sales tax. Every time a see a pothole, a school that is falling down or a canceled essential state program, I remind myself why.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      535 members of congress plus 1 pres screwing us all the time...that's dirty pirate hooker level gang rape.

    3. 09-30-2012 04:15 PM #3
      Question is: do I accept the offer even if they wont up it? Won't it show weakness on my side? After all I'm negotiating with future boss.

    4. 09-30-2012 04:20 PM #4
      If the new job its better than the actual, acept only if the salary its the same or higger

    5. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 11th, 2009
      Location
      Lewiston, Maine
      Posts
      4,666
      Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg Jetta
      09-30-2012 04:28 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by dubrmine View Post
      Question is: do I accept the offer even if they wont up it? Won't it show weakness on my side? After all I'm negotiating with future boss.
      What do you lose if you turn it down? What do you gain if you accept it? Only you can balance that out. If you're happy with where you are and you feel you are worth more, tell the new company you can't accept their offer. IF they want you, they'll meet your requests. It's not like you are homeless and starving. You don't know what your new work environment is going to be like. It could be a hell-hole.
      Quote Originally Posted by winstonsmith84 View Post
      Tax? I don't mind paying state sales tax. Every time a see a pothole, a school that is falling down or a canceled essential state program, I remind myself why.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      535 members of congress plus 1 pres screwing us all the time...that's dirty pirate hooker level gang rape.

    6. 09-30-2012 07:13 PM #6
      before you threw the number out, did you know what the hiring salary range was? I would keep the negotiations based on that, unless they offered you the range. They see something in you as they have made you an offer. When you speak with them also let them know that it doesnt make sense to leave your current situation for less than you currently make. Money is great, but you cant put a price on happiness. You also have to weigh is this a much better situation than your current.

    7. 09-30-2012 10:23 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Roo View Post
      before you threw the number out, did you know what the hiring salary range was? I would keep the negotiations based on that, unless they offered you the range. They see something in you as they have made you an offer. When you speak with them also let them know that it doesnt make sense to leave your current situation for less than you currently make. Money is great, but you cant put a price on happiness. You also have to weigh is this a much better situation than your current.
      Thanks for all the responses. Yes, I did know the range they were working with. This new place has a lot going for it; much shorter commute, more room for advancement, really good benefits. Current place is good too; it's a much smaller business, good mgmt team, co-workers are good, I can't really complain; all this makes for a even more difficult decision.

    8. Member scandalous_cynce's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 28th, 2007
      Location
      Vancouver, WA
      Posts
      6,285
      Vehicles
      MK4 Jetta - '07 Audi A3 (SOLD)
      10-01-2012 02:59 PM #8
      With my current employer, they sent over an offer letter with a salary - I countered $5K higher and backed up my request with current salary range figures, etc - they met me in the middle with $2.5K higher than the original offer.

      Doesn't hurt to counter, as long as you can back it up with good reasons why you deserve more.
      Follow me on Instagram: cyncetastic

    9. 10-01-2012 03:14 PM #9
      Called them back today and talked to mgr; he insisted the offer they presented me with is the best they can do. I've asked if since they can't up the salary will they consider performance review after 6 months vs year, but no flexibility there either. I've asked for a bit more time, and will take another 24hrs to figure out if this offer is right for me. I have a good feeling about this place long term, and look forward to a new challenge.

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 24th, 2001
      Location
      Beaverton, OR
      Posts
      7,181
      Vehicles
      2 Miatas, 2 Saabs, & a G35 sedan
      10-01-2012 05:05 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by dubrmine View Post
      Called them back today and talked to mgr; he insisted the offer they presented me with is the best they can do. I've asked if since they can't up the salary will they consider performance review after 6 months vs year, but no flexibility there either. I've asked for a bit more time, and will take another 24hrs to figure out if this offer is right for me. I have a good feeling about this place long term, and look forward to a new challenge.
      I've got some red flags from reading this update. Two things to consider; You're going in at the top of their pay range and getting no additional money from where you're currently working (this means your next substantial pay increase is a ways off). Also, with such rigid rule following, it's possible the company isn't able to view employees individually rather than en masse. I the grass would have to be VERY green at this new company.

      Also, consider other ares for negotiation; as for 4-6wks of vacation/PTO days. Ask for 4/10hr days. Ask about certification and training reimbursement. Ask about continuing education.

    11. 10-01-2012 08:29 PM #11
      Tuition reimbursement is a part of a package, so is generous vacation/sick time. Money was the last thing I wanted to negotiate. Room for advancement is definitely there too. Will be talking with HR on few details tomorrow and I'll see where it takes me.

    12. 10-02-2012 03:27 PM #12
      IMHO if you are changing jobs for $$$, you should expect a minimum 20% pay increase. Otherwise, why would you leave?

      You said you did some research as to your value. Did you take into account those five years of experience? Be wary of salary.com and other sites. They tend to be conservative with respect to salaries.

      The new employer is getting those five years of experience and as a result, greatly increased value from their potential new employee. You deserve that 20% raise. Job hunting is an exercise is other people attempting to beat you down on price. Stay firm!

      Finally, if you do really want this job (maybe for the opportunity to grow) always remember that if the hiring manager can't negotiate on salary, they can negotiate on vacation (another week of vacation), benefits, telework from home, sick leave, and other such things.
      "None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me."

    13. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 24th, 2001
      Location
      Beaverton, OR
      Posts
      7,181
      Vehicles
      2 Miatas, 2 Saabs, & a G35 sedan
      10-05-2012 02:34 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by adoniram7 View Post
      You said you did some research as to your value. Did you take into account those five years of experience? Be wary of salary.com and other sites. They tend to be conservative with respect to salaries.
      If by conservative you mean inflated by 10-20%, then yes, be wary of salary.com

    14. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 17th, 2001
      Location
      Ohio
      Posts
      21,157
      10-05-2012 03:14 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
      If by conservative you mean inflated by 10-20%, then yes, be wary of salary.com
      Shhhhh...don't tell my boss that.

    15. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 17th, 2001
      Location
      Ohio
      Posts
      21,157
      10-05-2012 03:15 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by adoniram7 View Post
      IMHO if you are changing jobs for $$$, you should expect a minimum 20% pay increase. Otherwise, why would you leave?
      This is a good point.

    16. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2001
      Location
      The Village
      Posts
      20,866
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      10-05-2012 07:18 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
      I've got some red flags from reading this update. Two things to consider; You're going in at the top of their pay range and getting no additional money from where you're currently working (this means your next substantial pay increase is a ways off). Also, with such rigid rule following, it's possible the company isn't able to view employees individually rather than en masse. I the grass would have to be VERY green at this new company.

      Also, consider other ares for negotiation; as for 4-6wks of vacation/PTO days. Ask for 4/10hr days. Ask about certification and training reimbursement. Ask about continuing education.
      Dave--(About to state something he knows, I'm sure )Salary ranges which can be offered don't always = the entire range that's available. Companies often have a more limited range around the median for incoming offers so they don't break internal equity with peers in that level/title, and also to allow for upward growth without the person hitting the range max.

      As to this position: It depends on what's important to you. I'd be asking questions like--what does growth look like in this role? How will my performance be evaluated, and how does that tie to compensation? If I can't come in at this figure, how might I get there and in what timeframe?

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •