Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge
    Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Results 141 to 175 of 204

    Thread: True UNICORNS,,, spotted one today

    1. 10-02-2012 12:34 PM #141
      Quote Originally Posted by dunhamjr View Post
      and what we are saying is that your definition of a car unicorn is NOT the generally accepted definition.

      a car unicorn is about rareness and how nearly no one has ever seen one beyond pictures.

      not how special a car is to you specifically.

      try also to think of it this way.
      go look to buy an SHO.
      go look to buy an XJ220.

      i can probably find 100 SHO's for potential purchase within a few minutes. (fyi between autotrader and CL i found 196 ads within 30 seconds)

      i am nearly 100% positive i could NOT find 100 XJ220's for sale world wide even if you gave me a year to research.
      edit:
      hell... i dont even think i can find ONE XJ220 for sale...

      You show me where this is defined somewhere in a dictionary and I will happily work within that definition.

      To me, rare = your definition of unicorn. A rare car is a rare car. Hard/impossible to find, not likely to see another one.

      I was at that car show with the XJ220. The owner opened the door for me. I smelled the leather, touched the door panel, and as a car geek, it was quite an experience...one I will never forget, as I am not likely to even SEE an XJ220 in person again.

      It's a RARE car. Unicorn? Not to me.
      2012 Toyota Prius 3, Blizzard White/Gray
      2014 Volkswagen Jetta GLI Edition30, Pure White/Black V-tex/carbon

      Son of a gun / Master of fate / Bows to no god, kingdom, or state.

    2. Member barry2952's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 13th, 2007
      Location
      Farmington Hills, MI
      Posts
      13,149
      10-02-2012 12:42 PM #142
      Unicorn. It's one of a kind.

      Last edited by barry2952; 10-02-2012 at 12:52 PM.
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

      I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

    3. Member G_RockNYTN's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 5th, 2006
      Location
      Indianapolis
      Posts
      590
      Vehicles
      2007 Subaru WRX STI, 2013 Mini JCW GP #203
      10-02-2012 12:43 PM #143
      Quote Originally Posted by GolfVIDriver View Post
      You show me where this is defined somewhere in a dictionary and I will happily work within that definition.

      To me, rare = your definition of unicorn. A rare car is a rare car. Hard/impossible to find, not likely to see another one.

      I was at that car show with the XJ220. The owner opened the door for me. I smelled the leather, touched the door panel, and as a car geek, it was quite an experience...one I will never forget, as I am not likely to even SEE an XJ220 in person again.

      It's a RARE car. Unicorn? Not to me.
      Unicorn = Rare. The end.

    4. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 17th, 2008
      Location
      Tallahassee, FL
      Posts
      603
      Vehicles
      2009 Audi TT, 2008 VW Passat Wagon
      10-02-2012 12:45 PM #144
      I think Golf is getting his definition from Gone in 60 Seconds.

      Guy1: Man did you see Lizzie the other night? She looked amazing!
      Guy2: Son you still hooked on that girl? Give up!
      Guy1: What can I say bro? She's Eleanor!
      Guy2: True bro. That ****'s a unicorn!

      In this case Lizzie means something to Guy1. I'm sure there are 100s of other Lizzies, but that one is special, hence a unicorn

    5. Member barry2952's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 13th, 2007
      Location
      Farmington Hills, MI
      Posts
      13,149
      10-02-2012 12:51 PM #145
      Yes, we should all develop our automotive definitions by pop-culture movies.

      Hey, if he wants to think an SHO is something special, who are we to burst his bubble?
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

      I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

    6. Member VR6GURU's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 10th, 2002
      Location
      City of Angels CA
      Posts
      3,689
      Vehicles
      93 Cali Style Corrado, 08 Honda Element SC
      10-02-2012 01:05 PM #146
      The definition of a Unicorn

      u·ni·corn
         [yoo-ni-kawrn] Show IPA
      noun
      1.
      a mythical creature resembling a horse, with a single horn in the center of its forehead: often symbolic of chastity or purity.


      Definition of Myth

      myth
         [mith] Show IPA
      noun
      1. A traditional or legendary story, usually concerning some being or hero or event, with or without a determinable basis of fact or a natural explanation, especially one that is concerned with deities or demigods and explains some practice, rite, or phenomenon of nature.

      2. Stories or matter of this kind: realm of myth.

      3. Any invented story, idea, or concept: His account of the event is pure myth.

      4. An imaginary or fictitious thing or person.

      5. An unproved or false collective belief that is used to justify a social institution.

      When you apply that to car terms, it has to be a car so damn rare that it has achieved the status of myth. Where people basically talk about them as they exist, but have never actually seen one. We could call this the mermaid, big foot, yeti, thread and it would be the same.

      Posting a car that we all know exists and have seen one, is not a car of mythical nature. By the logic of some here I will post a Chevy Berretta; I can't remember the last time I saw one, and the last few that I saw where beat to hell, so when I see a mint one; well it must be a unicorn.

      my .02

    7. Member MRVW00's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 30th, 2000
      Location
      Everywhere you want to be.
      Posts
      9,602
      Vehicles
      B5 2.8Q, Buell XB9S
      10-02-2012 01:18 PM #147
      Quote Originally Posted by neu318 View Post
      Spotted one in Key West FL. Sorry for the crappy phone pic

      Quote Originally Posted by barry2952 View Post
      I could be wrong, but I think those are both plastic.
      CORRECT.

      If it's a replica it's not a unicorn...

      WTF do you people have against reading?
      Tucker Max of the Gays and Demokratikally Elekted Minister of Slutty Gay Whoring and Muppet Sex of the People's Independent Republik of Offtopikstan
      RIP Cosmic TDI
      Quote Originally Posted by HideYoKids View Post
      Dann is More sassy than any man with facial hair should be. It's entertaining.

    8. Member choochoo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 12th, 2008
      Location
      OC, CA
      Posts
      6,837
      Vehicles
      nothing to see here
      10-02-2012 01:25 PM #148
      Quote Originally Posted by MRVW00 View Post
      WTF do you people have against reading?
      Seriously, right? this problem seems to infect most TCL threads.

      What OP wrote:
      Quote Originally Posted by romanl View Post
      i've seen similar threads pop up once in a while, but they never last.
      would be cool if we can keep on going for true UNICORNS (i know everyone's definition is different)
      so the only things i would suggest:
      1. you must be the one who spotted it and took the pic (please dont post pics form car shows or internets
      2. car shows/ gtg's shouldnt count,
      3. lets keep it to some very limited cars: classic or modern, i dont care.

    9. Member FujiTekniques's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 7th, 2000
      Location
      Broke Island
      Posts
      7,760
      Vehicles
      1995 M3/1987 325is
      10-02-2012 01:28 PM #149
      Quote Originally Posted by GolfVIDriver View Post
      You show me where this is defined somewhere in a dictionary and I will happily work within that definition.

      To me, rare = your definition of unicorn. A rare car is a rare car. Hard/impossible to find, not likely to see another one.

      I was at that car show with the XJ220. The owner opened the door for me. I smelled the leather, touched the door panel, and as a car geek, it was quite an experience...one I will never forget, as I am not likely to even SEE an XJ220 in person again.

      It's a RARE car. Unicorn? Not to me.
      I tend to agree, but with a slight deviation.

      9 times out of 10, an XJ220 is going to be impeccably maintained, owned by someone of means and only rolled out for car shows.

      9 times out of 10, an SHO, at this point in its life, has been through several owners, a few accidents, some questionable repairs, etc., etc.

      By that definition, a beautiful XJ220 is not a unicorn. It's a striking car that is valuable and desirable. Unicorn? Sure, if we're going purely by production numbers. But in real-world, how the car is used, what's it's exposed to, etc.? I wouldn't consider it a unicorn. Its odds of having a know-nothing owner or being driven through some broke-ass city filled with potholes and bad drivers is highly unlikely, and therefore, increases the likelihood of it leading a pampered life free from risk.

      A car like Matt's, or my ZHP, or someone with an unmolested Galant VR4 Turbo sedan, is far more likely to end up in the hands of an owner without the means (or concern/motivation) to preserve it because to 90% of the population, it's just a used car. For people in the know, a clean first-gen SHO is a true unicorn just knowing the odds of it falling into disrepair grow with every passing year.

      I'm sure in ten years, the car I just sold - an FA5 Civic Si sedan - will be a unicorn if it's still in the stock condition I left it. But with each subsequent owner, the odds of every driver caring for it like I did grows increasingly less likely. A car like my ZHP, however, that is now with its fourth owner and has never been modified or been in an accident is truly impressive, and increasingly difficult to find.

      Just my two cents.

    10. Senior Member patrikman's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 10th, 2008
      Location
      44.5 North, 88 West
      Posts
      30,779
      Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      10-02-2012 01:31 PM #150
      Quote Originally Posted by B3passatBMX View Post
      Quite certain I caught a glimpse of a 3.0 CSL like the one the OP posted around the corner from my apartment the other. Will confirm tonight.
      I may have seen that at Road America a few years ago.

      Quote Originally Posted by barry2952 View Post
      Unicorn. It's one of a kind.

      I hope so.

      FWIW I really don't get all of the SHO hoopla. Every owner I have met thinks they have a museum piece as well as a race car.
      ...tunes from the car makin' everybody dizzy. bumpin' Flaming Lips, Johnny Cash and Biggie...

      Support Your Local Homebrewery
      Pocket Pool Team Captain IPRO

    11. 10-02-2012 02:58 PM #151
      Quote Originally Posted by karl_1052 View Post
      SHO
      The SHO would go on to be produced for ten years in three generations, totaling 106,465

      XJ220
      A total of 281 road-cars(XJ220) were made
      Although the XJ220 was not built in compliance with the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards of the United States, it has since become possible to privately import it to the US under the "Show and Display" exemption.


      You're right, the SHO is more of a unicorn than the XJ220.
      Thank you for posting the obvious....to some people.

    12. Member AHFlynn's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 6th, 2008
      Location
      UConn Country
      Posts
      3,664
      10-02-2012 03:43 PM #152
      Quote Originally Posted by GolfVIDriver View Post
      In Gone in 60 Seconds, (which I admit isn't exactly the zenith of modern cinema), Cage's unicorn was a 1967 Shelby GT500. Not as rare as an XJ220, but still special to him.

      "A unicorn is the one car that no matter how many times you try to boost, something always goes wrong."
      the ****? this is your working definition of a unicorn?
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Nah, understeering into a tree in a Honda like a teenage girl ruins your street cred. I'd leave the door to show how hard you are.

    13. Member BattleRabbit's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 28th, 2007
      Location
      Albany, NY
      Posts
      7,594
      Vehicles
      DKW Munga
      10-02-2012 03:55 PM #153
      Quote Originally Posted by FujiTekniques View Post

      A car like Matt's, or my ZHP, or someone with an unmolested Galant VR4 Turbo sedan, is far more likely to end up in the hands of an owner without the means (or concern/motivation) to preserve it because to 90% of the population, it's just a used car. For people in the know, a clean first-gen SHO is a true unicorn just knowing the odds of it falling into disrepair grow with every passing year.

      I'm sure in ten years, the car I just sold - an FA5 Civic Si sedan - will be a unicorn if it's still in the stock condition I left it. But with each subsequent owner, the odds of every driver caring for it like I did grows increasingly less likely. A car like my ZHP, however, that is now with its fourth owner and has never been modified or been in an accident is truly impressive, and increasingly difficult to find.

      Just my two cents.
      That's not really a unicorn though... A ZHP or a Taurus SHO may be uncommon and aging, but they're far from impossible to find, and you do see them. They were limited models of fairly common cars, and even in New York I still see SHOs and VR4s. Even though they are rare in good shape there are still more of them in good shape than there ever were XJ220s. An XJ220 exists primarily in magazine articles and posters to most people, while an SHO, VR4, or E46 ZHP are kind of just regular cars by comparison. Good regular cars, but regular cars.

      Which leads me to my next point, a unicorn doesn't have to be a good car. One of my coworkers saw one of those little DIY lawnmower engined cars they used to advertise in the back of Popular Mechanics 50 years ago, and he was astonished. He didn't think they actually existed outside the ads. Those are not particularly good, but they've probably been darn near non-existant since they came out!
      1998 VW Golf Mk.III 5dr/1989 Saab 900 Sedan/1960 Porsche 356B T5/1980 Honda CM400E

    14. 10-02-2012 04:37 PM #154
      Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin. View Post
      Saw this today cruising through Bethlehem, PA. ~2000 made worldwide, 22 years old at a minimum, and it's an 80's Maserati product....don't know about unicorn status, but I don't expect to ever see another one on the road.

      Quattroporte III. Saw one at a local junkyard last year. I actually saw its engine first, they had just pulled it and put it into the front office. I saw it and started daydreaming about what kind of cool little autocross buggy I could build around it. I knew nothing about it but it's a Maserati V8, must be cool. By the time I asked how much, some other random scavenger in the office bought it. Saw the car later.. what a heap. Interior reminded me of an 80s Caddy.

    15. Member barry2952's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 13th, 2007
      Location
      Farmington Hills, MI
      Posts
      13,149
      10-02-2012 05:08 PM #155
      Quote Originally Posted by BattleRabbit View Post
      One of my coworkers saw one of those little DIY lawnmower engined cars they used to advertise in the back of Popular Mechanics 50 years ago, and he was astonished. He didn't think they actually existed outside the ads. Those are not particularly good, but they've probably been darn near non-existant since they came out!
      I've seen two in the last year. Both at shows, so that doesn't count.

      Garmin Is My Pilot.

      I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

    16. Senior Member 6cylVWguy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 14th, 2000
      Location
      PA
      Posts
      22,692
      Blog Entries
      4
      Vehicles
      '12 GT; '94 SLC
      10-02-2012 05:38 PM #156
      Quote Originally Posted by BattleRabbit View Post
      That's not really a unicorn though... A ZHP or a Taurus SHO may be uncommon and aging, but they're far from impossible to find, and you do see them. They were limited models of fairly common cars, and even in New York I still see SHOs and VR4s. Even though they are rare in good shape there are still more of them in good shape than there ever were XJ220s. An XJ220 exists primarily in magazine articles and posters to most people, while an SHO, VR4, or E46 ZHP are kind of just regular cars by comparison. Good regular cars, but regular cars.
      A unicorn isn't about ultimate production numbers. It's about how common something is at the current time. An XJ220 was of course a unicorn even when it was being produced. SHOs (early cars) or VR4s were definitely not unicorns when they were being sold, but age and general condition has made thenm unicorns---but only certain versions.

      Unicorn status of older, affordable, performance cars is generally reserved for mint versions of that model. Just because your buddy, acquaintance, dad, co-worker, etc has a Galant VR4 doesn't mean it's a unicorn. IF one of those people had a 10k miles 93 SHO that was showroom fresh? Yeah, to people who really like those cars, that's definitely a unicorn. And people will pay a lot more for them. It's the same thing with cars like mkII GTI 16v and Corrados. You can easily buy either one of those cars right now if you wanted to. But to buy one that hasn't been molested or poorly repaired or in an accident? And with low mileage and excellent original paint? That would take years to find (especially the GTI) if you started from scratch. And certainly would be unicorn if you found one. I can't tell you the last time I saw ANY mkII GTI 16v or Corrado on the road--much less a mint one.

      It really all about relative rarity over total production numbers, IMO. It's also very subjective. Some people on here would probably go nuts for a low mileage 87 Celebrity eurosport in showroom condition. That would be a unicorn to them. Saying that something is more of a unicorn that something else is silly then. Either it is or it isn't. There's no levels of unicorness.

    17. Member FujiTekniques's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 7th, 2000
      Location
      Broke Island
      Posts
      7,760
      Vehicles
      1995 M3/1987 325is
      10-02-2012 06:08 PM #157
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      A unicorn isn't about ultimate production numbers. It's about how common something is at the current time. An XJ220 was of course a unicorn even when it was being produced. SHOs (early cars) or VR4s were definitely not unicorns when they were being sold, but age and general condition has made thenm unicorns---but only certain versions.

      Unicorn status of older, affordable, performance cars is generally reserved for mint versions of that model. Just because your buddy, acquaintance, dad, co-worker, etc has a Galant VR4 doesn't mean it's a unicorn. IF one of those people had a 10k miles 93 SHO that was showroom fresh? Yeah, to people who really like those cars, that's definitely a unicorn. And people will pay a lot more for them. It's the same thing with cars like mkII GTI 16v and Corrados. You can easily buy either one of those cars right now if you wanted to. But to buy one that hasn't been molested or poorly repaired or in an accident? And with low mileage and excellent original paint? That would take years to find (especially the GTI) if you started from scratch. And certainly would be unicorn if you found one. I can't tell you the last time I saw ANY mkII GTI 16v or Corrado on the road--much less a mint one.

      It really all about relative rarity over total production numbers, IMO. It's also very subjective. Some people on here would probably go nuts for a low mileage 87 Celebrity eurosport in showroom condition. That would be a unicorn to them. Saying that something is more of a unicorn that something else is silly then. Either it is or it isn't. There's no levels of unicorness.
      This probably better articulates the point I was trying to make that this is all somewhat subjective. An XJ220 isn't a unicorn to me, but after months of searching for the right ZHP, it took on unicorn status in my book. However, if you're a bajillionare searching for a white ZJ220 instead of the more common silver versions, well - that particular iteration becomes your unicorn.

      And yes, I haven't seen a minty MK2 on the road in AGES.

    18. Member BattleRabbit's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 28th, 2007
      Location
      Albany, NY
      Posts
      7,594
      Vehicles
      DKW Munga
      10-02-2012 06:41 PM #158
      Quote Originally Posted by FujiTekniques View Post

      And yes, I haven't seen a minty MK2 on the road in AGES.
      See, and those I see a few a week of... And a few Corrados, Mk.Is, Volvo 240s, Saab 900s, Porsche 944s et cetera... I deal with people that own those cars regularly though, so my mileage may vary. In my line of work I see a lot of relatively uncommon modern-ish cars in all sorts of shape. I guess that forms my bias, because after a while they just don't seem that special. Neat, sure, but they just don't seem like mythical things because I see them constantly.

      Once in a while someone will show up with something truly bizarre, like a Volvo 240 Bertone, Lamborghini Jalpa, or a Porsche 928 and that's where my "whoa, that's special and unusual" light starts to light. I guess everyone's threshold for "unicorn" falls somewhere different based on their surroundings.

      And Barry, that little car you posted is exactly what I was talking about. One of my coworker's neighbors just bought one and it's been puttering around, sitting in his driveway and on his trailer for a few weeks. Neat thing to see, for sure!
      Last edited by BattleRabbit; 10-02-2012 at 06:43 PM.
      1998 VW Golf Mk.III 5dr/1989 Saab 900 Sedan/1960 Porsche 356B T5/1980 Honda CM400E

    19. Member slirt's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 5th, 2004
      Location
      Ciudad de Angels, CA
      Posts
      2,831
      Vehicles
      '07 Z4 Coupe (2012-), '86 VW Cabriolet (2009-); '97 Audi A4 1.8tq (2003-12), '85 VW GTI (1995-2003)
      10-03-2012 02:50 AM #159
      I took this picture Sunday 30 September 2012 in Point Loma area of San Diego, outside a livery company:



      wish i had noticed you can't see the double rear wheels; 2 axles, not dually...
      just did an image search and plenty of examples appear (below), but i'd never seen one before.



      Oldsmobile Toronado Hi-Top
      "Jetaway 707" by American Quality Coach
      (Later used as a base for the famous GM Motor Homes)
      Last edited by slirt; 10-03-2012 at 03:01 AM.
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      FWD Mercedes, 4cyl Mustangs, unreliable Toyotas... WTF is this world coming to?
      and my new pet peeve: the "woah" misspelling of whoa: it's W-H-O-A, people! "learn it. know it. live it." seriously. #FFS #SMH

    20. 10-03-2012 03:00 AM #160
      Quote Originally Posted by MochaMike View Post
      Saw an Enzo today on the open road in NJ while on bike ride.
      Red Enzo? Might possibly have been Rich. Great humble guy who deserves each and every one of his F-cars whole heartedly.

      Probably won't be the last time you see him either, he drives that Enzo around as much as he can.

    21. Member BmwFanBoy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 25th, 2011
      Location
      AZ
      Posts
      129
      Vehicles
      97 M3 sedan
      10-03-2012 06:35 AM #161
      I knew this thread is gonna derail after 10posts. Someone should start a poll on defintion of unicorn car and make it TLC law. To many homers posting cars that don't belong and to many pages of bickering.

    22. Senior Member 6cylVWguy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 14th, 2000
      Location
      PA
      Posts
      22,692
      Blog Entries
      4
      Vehicles
      '12 GT; '94 SLC
      10-03-2012 09:27 AM #162
      Quote Originally Posted by BattleRabbit View Post
      See, and those I see a few a week of... And a few Corrados, Mk.Is, Volvo 240s, Saab 900s, Porsche 944s et cetera... I deal with people that own those cars regularly though, so my mileage may vary. In my line of work I see a lot of relatively uncommon modern-ish cars in all sorts of shape. I guess that forms my bias, because after a while they just don't seem that special. Neat, sure, but they just don't seem like mythical things because I see them constantly.
      I'm willing to bet that of the people who own those cars that you deal with, very few of them own a version of the car that is showroom fresh. I'm not talking tastefully modded and in nice shape, with new paint. I'm talking low miles, only driven on occassion, everything's original. You might see one or two people with cars like that for each of the models you listed, but that's still a unicorn. I might see some of those cars at shows, for instance. But I sure as hell don't ever see them driving on the road. I never see Galant VR4s, ever, in any condition. But I know, like any affordable performance car, most by this point in time are beaten down. Finding one that's mint and original is the real treasure. That's the definition of a unicorn for the average car enthusiast with average means.

      I also agree with FT's comment about the XJ220 in colors other than silver.

    23. Member barry2952's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 13th, 2007
      Location
      Farmington Hills, MI
      Posts
      13,149
      10-03-2012 09:40 AM #163
      Quote Originally Posted by BmwFanBoy View Post
      Someone should start a poll on defintion of unicorn car and make it TLC law. To many homers posting cars that don't belong and to many pages of bickering.
      How would you go about doing that?
      Garmin Is My Pilot.

      I am confident you are wrong, but instead of illustrating why, I will just make disparaging remarks about your reading comprehension.
      -Zukjimpiphile

    24. Member redstar's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 16th, 2001
      Location
      lynchburg, va
      Posts
      7,025
      Vehicles
      11 WRX, 09 jetta wagon tdi, 04 triumph bonneville
      10-03-2012 09:52 AM #164
      saw lots of rarish ferraris at VIR earlier this year. this was probably the rarest:



    25. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 3rd, 2011
      Posts
      300
      Vehicles
      The "U.N." garage: 2 British, 5 German, 4 Japanese, 2 American.
      10-03-2012 10:36 AM #165
      Quote Originally Posted by redstar View Post
      saw lots of rarish ferraris at VIR earlier this year. this was probably the rarest:
      NICE! That Ferrari GTO is one of my favorite cars ever produced. Love to see it at the track!

    26. 10-03-2012 11:41 AM #166
      I've posted these in the past but they both qualify as legit unicorn status. Both were limited production cars, both were seen on the public streets, and both had to jump through hoops to be in the U.S..

      Mclaren F1....you know the stats.





      Aston DB7 Zagato. 99 produced, this was one of five in left had drive.


    27. Member Fe2O3's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 13th, 2009
      Location
      Atlanta, GA
      Posts
      3,214
      Vehicles
      74 Beetle
      10-03-2012 03:11 PM #167
      Quote Originally Posted by GolfVIDriver View Post
      You show me where this is defined somewhere in a dictionary and I will happily work within that definition.

      To me, rare = your definition of unicorn. A rare car is a rare car. Hard/impossible to find, not likely to see another one.

      I was at that car show with the XJ220. The owner opened the door for me. I smelled the leather, touched the door panel, and as a car geek, it was quite an experience...one I will never forget, as I am not likely to even SEE an XJ220 in person again.

      It's a RARE car. Unicorn? Not to me.

      I think the automotive "unicorn" would include some level of actual desire by most auto enthusiasts to see one. Would you sprain your neck trying to see it? Maybe u-turn and go back for a pic?
      XJ220 is one of those cars.
      The SHO is not. They are "cars of note", but not hard to find by any means.
      Quote Originally Posted by phryxis View Post
      sprayed it on, waited some time, and proceeded to go at it with a scraper, some pliers, and a lot of f-ing hard work.

    28. Member FujiTekniques's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 7th, 2000
      Location
      Broke Island
      Posts
      7,760
      Vehicles
      1995 M3/1987 325is
      10-03-2012 03:20 PM #168
      Quote Originally Posted by Fe2O3 View Post
      I think the automotive "unicorn" would include some level of actual desire by most auto enthusiasts to see one. Would you sprain your neck trying to see it? Maybe u-turn and go back for a pic?
      XJ220 is one of those cars.
      The SHO is not. They are "cars of note", but not hard to find by any means.
      Try finding a minty first-gen SHO. Not trying to pick a fight, but that's a damned hard car to find in any condition, let alone showroom fresh.

    29. Member rynodyno312's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 20th, 2012
      Location
      Orange County, CA
      Posts
      3,673
      Vehicles
      2013 Civic SI, 2011 EX35
      10-03-2012 03:35 PM #169
      Quote Originally Posted by FujiTekniques View Post
      Try finding a minty first-gen SHO. Not trying to pick a fight, but that's a damned hard car to find in any condition, let alone showroom fresh.
      When you have to add a qualifier like "in showroom condition," a don't think it really fits into the discussion. Pretty much anything old is going to be hard to find in showroom condition, regardless of how popular a car it was.

    30. Member what's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 24th, 1999
      Location
      Los Angeles, CA
      Posts
      12,738
      Vehicles
      1974 MGB (Chrome Bumpers); 2012 VW GTI; 2013 Fiat 500 Pop
      10-03-2012 03:41 PM #170
      I saw this a few months ago and may have posted a thread. It wasn't at a GTG but it was probably at supercar sunday that day.

      how come a transvestite donkey witch is next to you and why is it wearing a dress?

      Say 'what' again. Say 'what' again, I dare you, I double dare you mother****er, say what one more goddamn time!

    31. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 14th, 2003
      Location
      Houston, TX
      Posts
      1,902
      Vehicles
      2012 Porsche Carrera 991/2011 MINI S
      10-03-2012 03:59 PM #171
      Quote Originally Posted by mycarsux View Post
      I've posted these in the past but they both qualify as legit unicorn status. Both were limited production cars, both were seen on the public streets, and both had to jump through hoops to be in the U.S..

      Mclaren F1....you know the stats.




      I've seen your F1 post before, La Griglia! Keep hoping to see the car in the 'hood since seeing him drive it to Cars and Coffee.
      Houston, TX
      2012 Porsche Carrera 991

    32. Banned roadtripper's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 22nd, 2003
      Posts
      3,999
      10-03-2012 05:21 PM #172
      Originally Posted by GolfVIDriver
      In Gone in 60 Seconds, (which I admit isn't exactly the zenith of modern cinema), Cage's unicorn was a 1967 Shelby GT500. Not as rare as an XJ220, but still special to him.

      "A unicorn is the one car that no matter how many times you try to boost, something always goes wrong."


      the ****? this is your working definition of a unicorn?

      yeah, but nic cage, yo.



      nicolas MOTHER BLEEPING cage. you change your definition of unicorn to conform to the cage NOW!!!!!

    33. Member SCVR6's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 13th, 2000
      Location
      Somerville MA
      Posts
      1,170
      Vehicles
      2006 Tundra, 2006 Sequoia
      10-03-2012 05:25 PM #173
      saw one of these today

    34. Member BattleRabbit's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 28th, 2007
      Location
      Albany, NY
      Posts
      7,594
      Vehicles
      DKW Munga
      10-03-2012 05:28 PM #174
      Quote Originally Posted by Fe2O3 View Post
      I think the automotive "unicorn" would include some level of actual desire by most auto enthusiasts to see one. Would you sprain your neck trying to see it? Maybe u-turn and go back for a pic?
      XJ220 is one of those cars.
      The SHO is not. They are "cars of note", but not hard to find by any means.
      This. A unicorn is special even if it's sitting in a scrapyard.
      1998 VW Golf Mk.III 5dr/1989 Saab 900 Sedan/1960 Porsche 356B T5/1980 Honda CM400E

    35. Member Rukh's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 25th, 2003
      Location
      Colorado
      Posts
      7,650
      Vehicles
      Mk4 Jetta Wagon, WJ Grand Cherokke
      10-03-2012 06:00 PM #175
      HAVE/HAD: Mercedes, Porsche, Cadillac, Land Rover, VW (x5), Buick, Mitsubishi, Chrysler, Dodge, Nissan, Ford, GMC, Jeep
      WANT: FIAT 500C Abarth, VW Scirocco Mk1, Alfa Romeo GTV, Lotus Esprit, Audi TT, 240Z, Lancer Evo VIII RS,
      Hudson Hornet, Porsche 964, Mini Cooper, Caterham SV, M-B CLS63 AMG, DeTomaso Pantera

    Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •