VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

True UNICORNS,,, spotted one today

59K views 203 replies 103 participants last post by  charlie_murphy! 
#1 · (Edited)
i've seen similar threads pop up once in a while, but they never last.
would be cool if we can keep on going for true UNICORNS (i know everyone's definition is different)
so the only things i would suggest:
1. you must be the one who spotted it and took the pic (please dont post pics form car shows or internets
2. car shows/ gtg's shouldnt count,
3. lets keep it to some very limited cars: classic or modern, i dont care.

today going fishing i spotted this beauty , gave the guy :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: he did the same,
im not an expert, but i think this is : 1973-75 BMW 3.0 CLS, 73 is when they introduced that huge spoiler and fins on the hood , right?
according to WIKI only 344 total were made.

this car looked amazing, super clean, :wave:

See less See more
#55 ·
my 2nd unicorn in 2 days?

2nd unicorn in 2 days? :laugh::laugh:

whats the take on this one? is it considered a unicorn?
i dont know enough about LOTUS,
quick search, and it shows it was the latest model of ESPRIT to be produced 2000-2004??

LOTUS esprit V8 it looked really nice :wave::wave:

#84 ·
yea im younger. so some things i just don't know but after seeing one ive done a lot of research on them. pretty amazing.

Did you take this pic? Because if not, it's more likely that what you saw at the DMV was a 959 replica.
yes my friend took that picture with his phone and posted it instagram. im pretty sure it was real.

here is another picture. same car same sport different instagram filter lol.

#82 ·
I used to have a picture of me sitting in a Porsche RSK, when I was about 4.

I have no idea where the pic went, or what happened to the car.

#87 ·
I'm going to disregard your "car shows and meets" rule. This guy drove up in the car, talked to me and others about it, then got in and drove home, oh and I took the picture.
If seeing one of 64 ever made, driving on public streets, and with an amenable owner, doesn't qualify as seeing a unicorn, then you can ban my post.

#90 ·
Can we get an understanding of what a Unicorn is, by the way?

A unicorn, to me, is a car that means something to you, is very special/rare/hard to find, and every time you try to buy/find/obtain one, you come up empty.

My 1991 Taurus SHO is a unicorn, because its a rare model thats hard to find in good condition, and is something I have wanted since before I had a drivers license.

An XJ220, while insanely rare and cool (despite being at a car show) is not what I would call a unicorn.

#106 ·
I would think then that all of my collector cars would be considered "Unicorns". Maybe not my '77 Town Car or '88 750iL as I've seen a few around.

My '41 Ford pick-up, stock as new, would be another unicorn, as I've only see two others that weren't hot-rodded, in some form or fashion.

#94 ·
FV-QR

Kaiser Darrin - the first production fiberglass sports car in the USA, beating the Corvette to market by one month. Featured a unique "pocket door" design that made the doors slide into the fender of the car. Only 435 were made for the 1954 model year. Kaiser eventually changed its name to Kaiser Jeep and was later taken over by American Motors.

#95 ·

Kaiser Darrin - the first production fiberglass sports car in the USA, beating the Corvette to market by one month. Featured a unique "pocket door" design that made the doors slide into the fender of the car. Only 435 were made for the 1954 model year. Kaiser eventually changed its name to Kaiser Jeep and was later taken over by American Motors.
There's a guy who does deals with me who has two in his garage right now. Restored them in his own shop. One's green and one's white. Really neat cars.

#109 ·
A Unicorn is a mythical creature, one rarely spotted and thought of as extinct. A car Unicorn would tend to be the same - the kind of thing you didn't really think existed, but yet - there it is...

aka: an extremely rare car. So, since that is open for some interpretation, I say - let's see 'em all !

#110 ·
I can bet no one in TCL, even Larry, has ever seen one of these in person, unless it's mine. It's the only known running LHD 1933 Continental Flyer. The Flyer was only made for one year. Most were scrapped during WWII for their steel content. There is one other that's running, and that's in New Zealand and it's RHD.

None of the judges or spectators at the 5 shows it was in last year had ever seen one outside of black and white pictures.

Even in the classic car world, this is a unicorn. It's out there to be seen. I drove it across Michigan last year and take it to cruises.

#117 ·
I'm not sure that makes them not a unicorn. I've seen one(at the Adirondack nationals hot rod show in Lake George NY of all places), and I would still call it a unicorn. I've seen more Allards, Stratos, pre-war Fiat touring cars, and street driven Hudsons than I have seen Muntzes.

Then again, I live in upstate NY. G-bodies are practically unicorns here because they are all now mostly powder...

I think in the States some of the best unicorns are 50-60s European economy cars. Borg-Wards, DAFs, things like that. I've seen exactly one street driven DAF and one track-car DAF. The street car had a sticker that said "I'm Dutch, isn't zat vierd?"

#122 ·
A Tucker is a Unicorn, but I just saw 7 real ones (of 48, I believe) in one place at the Glenmoor Gathering. They kind of lose their Unicorn-ish appeal when you see so many of them in one place.

A '56 Continental Mark II might be considered a Unicorn. With only 3,000 made how many have seen one in person?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.