Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: How to adjust shift linkage ?

1. 09-29-2012 08:57 PM #1
      I know this topic is posted a lot ,but I haven't been able to find my answer in the search.

I installed some new bushing in my shift linkage. My linkage still seemed funky , because I was missing a gear. So I had adjust the bolt on the shift rod closest to the linkage, and Since then I've ad some trouble trouble.

I also have no shift alignment tool, but do have a friend to hold the shifter, which I have been trying to do.

Is there any trick to adjust the shifter so it's tighter , and I have all my gears , and reverse in the correct position? Maybe something near the tranny lever?

Btw this is a 2.0
      Last edited by Tune-up; 09-29-2012 at 09:15 PM.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      98 Jetta GLX VR6
      09-30-2012 01:06 AM #2
      theres been mentioned of using a cassette deck in place of the shift alignment tool, but for its price, theres no reason for you not to have it.

theres a 13mm nut you can reach in the engine bay at the end of the rod from the shifter. a bentley is also something to have. its like the bible for vw owners.

as far as tighter, the eccentric bushing inside the cabin can be adjusted so theres little to no rotational play, allen/hex tool is required to adjust it.

3. 09-30-2012 11:53 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by metalgear_mk3 View Post
      theres been mentioned of using a cassette deck in place of the shift alignment tool, but for its price, theres no reason for you not to have it.

theres a 13mm nut you can reach in the engine bay at the end of the rod from the shifter. a bentley is also something to have. its like the bible for vw owners.

as far as tighter, the eccentric bushing inside the cabin can be adjusted so theres little to no rotational play, allen/hex tool is required to adjust it.
      Thanks for the advice, I have the Bentley, and I have a shift tool on the way, it's just that my ears are still out of whack.

Is there a trick to making your reverse in the Original spot it was in? So,etching around the linkage area? I know someone else has had this same problem.

Vehicles
      past Scirocco, Gli16V, Scirocco16v, Cabriolet, present 84GTi,96GTi
      09-30-2012 02:33 PM #4
      Did you replace all the bushings including the orange shifter box bushing?
      did you replace the relay shaft and or relay shaft ball?
      if not you'll have a hard time adjusting it and it will always be sloppy.

to adjust it without the adjustment tool:
      Put the car in neutral at the transmission
      loosen the clamp
      Get a cassette tape and place it between the reverse gear lock out arm and plate.
      make sure its centered front to back and have friend hold it in place
      tighten clamp.
      Ive used this method before and sometimes it works first time, sometimes it needs a little tweaking afterwards.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      98 Jetta GLX VR6
      09-30-2012 03:44 PM #5
      probably the most important piece not replaced is the orange bushing for the actual lever housing. i didnt, because it was a pain in the ass to take out. guaranteed youre gonna get slop later on if you dont change this one out.

all the tool does is lock it in the correct natural neutral position. reverse gear shouldnt be hard to find. but first gear is the one that gets lost.