Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Test drove a 2.5 SE and a CC Sport today

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 Mustang GT Premium; 2012 Beetle w/Sunroof
      09-29-2012 11:40 PM #1
      I test drove a '13 CC Sport DSG followed by a '13 2.5 SE auto Passat, back to back.

First I hopped in the CC. The CC was nice and sporty as expected, but I was kind of surprised at the amount of noise that came through to the cabin; I LOVE the look of the CC, and maybe it was just the particular one I drove, but it didn't feel as well-built as it looked. It did handle nice, but it seemed almost fragile in terms of long-term durability/reliability. The 2.0T was decent, but I've come from American V8s so a 200 hp 4 isn't much to get excited about, but it was nice and plenty adequate for the car with good passing power at 75 mph. I know the 2.0T is one of VW's better engines. Overall I felt just a tad bit underwhelmed with the car as a whole, which almost seemed like a case of never meet your heroes. I walked away feeling like it's a really elegant car with a lot of curb appeal and great features, but it just didn't get me excited behind the wheel, for over thirty grand.

Then I hopped in the Passat. Roomier as expected (although it doesn't really matter when you are 5'5" like me, everything is roomy and comfortable and I suppose you could even say a car as big as a Passat is a clown car for someone my size), and great visibility all around. Easy to find a comfortable driving position even for a little guy like me. The seats seemed only so-so; I don't know how they would be on a 4 hour road trip, they just didn't feel that supportive, even with lumbar. The 2.5 is perfect in my wife's '12 Beetle, but in the Passat I feel like it's just a sandwich short of a picnic basket. It's like it just needs a bit more power all around, especially down low (I know the answer to this is a TDI). I found that off the line seemed to be where it struggled the most--just getting the car moving seemed like work for the engine, almost like you push the gas an inch before the car actually starts rolling ahead. But for an everyday tool around town car, it's a reliable engine for the masses and will serve most people just fine. Handling was not as good as the CC, a lot softer and more body roll through curves. Overall though I was impressed with the quality. I hate to say it but it almost seemed tighter and better built than the CC, without as much noise inside. This one did have Continental tires on it and not the Hankooks everyone moans about. FWIW I have Hankook Optimos on the wife's car and zero complaints?

One thing I couldn't shake though, was that when driving the Passat, I just couldn't help but feel like it was the textbook definition of transportation; if there were pictures in the dictionary, a picture of the Passat would be right next to the definition. Maybe that's attributed to being a 2.5 model which I know is the volume seller, but the reason I'm limiting myself to an SE is because at the price point of a TDI or a V6 car, I may as well buy a CC. An SE with sunroof can be had for around $23.5k, a good several thousand less than a CC. Then again that feeling may also be attributed to the fact that let's face it, the Passat (particularly the front) is a bit on the plain or understated side, depending on how you look at it. I do like the look of the car from the rear 3/4s in the sun with a nice metallic color highlighting that nice body line though.

I guess I was kind of trying to see if the CC was worth the added price tag. I love the looks and features of the CC (dying for a car with Xenons/LED tails) but the seemingly lower quality of the CC really surprised me. Equally as much though, the lack of power and feeling of basic transportation in the Passat is tough to get over. I also don't like how they nixxed the dual zone climate control on the '13 SE. Another thing with the Passat--I like the interior, but for some reason it seems really plain, almost like it doesn't have as many features as my wife's Beetle, when it pretty much does. I don't know if this is a placebo affect of the outside being kind of plain and therefore seeming like the inside is plain and lacking features when it's not, or if it's simply because the cabin is so large that there just doesn't look like as much stuff since it's not all cramped? I don't know, but I have no complaints with the interior either way. Just seems devoid of features even though I know that's not the case.

Thoughts? I'm really trying to like the Passat, and I'm really trying to like the $23.5k price point. My ideal Passat would be a TDI SE with sunroof and navigation, since I would get the diesel, the chrome trim and 18s on the outside, and still keep the aluminum trim inside, but like I said that's getting into the territory of lots of other cars. The test drive in the CC made me question the value at $30k+; it certainly seems hard to justify that much more coin over the Passat after today. Maybe neither the Passat nor the CC are the right car, I don't know. Kind of on the fence. I need a car though.
      Last edited by puma1552; 09-29-2012 at 11:42 PM.

2. Member spongebob_squarepants's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '13 Passat SE, '13 Golf 4-Door 2.5L
      09-30-2012 03:51 AM #2
      I wanted a CC for a while too. Then I read quite a few complaints about the poor visibility out of the cabin, and the low roof line being a pain for taller people getting in/out.

You'd think, being a German-built VW, the CC would be top notch, but I'm not sure it's anything special.

I think it's one of the best looking cars on the road, at any price. But to me, those frameless windows just look like trouble in a few years with water leaks. And the design looks like wind noise waiting to happen. Even the fact that all the windows drop a mm or two every time you unlock the car with the key seems like a malfunction waiting to happen.

Do you like a sunroof? You won't get one on the CC until you go up in trim level, and then it's a flat one.

As good as the CC looks, I think it was designed with form over function. It's a fashion-statement car that I think people live with because of it's drop-dead gorgeous looks. I think that would get old after a bit.

I agree it's lame that the Passat doesn't include xenons or LED tails in 2013, on any trim level. I also agree the 2.5L, while a great workhorse of an engine, doesn't move the Passat with enough authority to make it very exciting.

It's all relative. My wife or my mom (or most non-enthusiast types) would probably find the Passat 2.5L to be perfectly fine on power. They're selling like hotcakes and that proves people aren't finding the engine terribly lacking. I like something with a little more kick though.

If you want a CC, you should lease one. There's $3000 VW lease cash and very low lease rates on these cars through October at least. That way you could enjoy it for 36 months and keep it if you're in love - or turn it in if it's not all that you thought it would be. Despite the $30k sticker price, CC's are leasing unbelievably cheap right now.

Good luck.

3. 09-30-2012 06:32 AM #3
      These are two great posts; kind of refreshing to find on this site. I agree that renting may be a good option for someone on the fence. It's always more costly in the long run, but it is very convenient, and the lack of a real commitment alone is worth something.
      "If stupid got us into this mess, how come it can't get us out?"

Dallas,Texas USA, Versailles France and JoBurg, RSA
      Vehicles
      2013 white cc and 2013 black cc
      09-30-2012 07:20 AM #4
      I did test both cars also and I had to say I did not like the Passat . I previously owned both a Passat b5.5 and B6 and the b7 made in the US is not a Passat ( they should have given it another name ). I did drive a 2012 b7 Passat TDI in France last winter and the car was so much better in terms of driving and quality of finish. The Passat CC 2.0t is a much better car to my taste and I ended trading both a Mercedes E class and C class for two 2013 CC ... Both leased from VW Credit... I get a lot of compliment on the 2013 CC and a lot of people think I bought another Mercedes Benz.... As far as the Passat is concerned if VW bring the Alltrack to the USA, I will be the first one to buy it... I plan to replace my 2010 Volvo XC70 in few months and I want a wagon and my only options are another XC70 or an E350 ....

Vehicles
      1998 BMW Z3
      09-30-2012 10:00 AM #5
      I have a 2010 CC and was excited to drive a 2.5 SE for my loaner car. I found just the opposite to be true on buid quality. I found the NA Passat less solid and less German feeling. In terms of build quality, it felt like a really good Accord. Perhaps the 2013 CC's are that much different than my 2010? Never the less, the Passat TDI is #1 on my list when it comes time to replace her. 2nd will be the upcoming Mazda6 and maybe the Ford Fusion with 1.6L.

6. 09-30-2012 08:28 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      I test drove a '13 CC Sport DSG followed by a '13 2.5 SE auto Passat, back to back.

First I hopped in the CC. The CC was nice and sporty as expected, but I was kind of surprised at the amount of noise that came through to the cabin; I LOVE the look of the CC, and maybe it was just the particular one I drove, but it didn't feel as well-built as it looked. It did handle nice, but it seemed almost fragile in terms of long-term durability/reliability. The 2.0T was decent, but I've come from American V8s so a 200 hp 4 isn't much to get excited about, but it was nice and plenty adequate for the car with good passing power at 75 mph. I know the 2.0T is one of VW's better engines. Overall I felt just a tad bit underwhelmed with the car as a whole, which almost seemed like a case of never meet your heroes. I walked away feeling like it's a really elegant car with a lot of curb appeal and great features, but it just didn't get me excited behind the wheel, for over thirty grand.

Then I hopped in the Passat. Roomier as expected (although it doesn't really matter when you are 5'5" like me, everything is roomy and comfortable and I suppose you could even say a car as big as a Passat is a clown car for someone my size), and great visibility all around. Easy to find a comfortable driving position even for a little guy like me. The seats seemed only so-so; I don't know how they would be on a 4 hour road trip, they just didn't feel that supportive, even with lumbar. The 2.5 is perfect in my wife's '12 Beetle, but in the Passat I feel like it's just a sandwich short of a picnic basket. It's like it just needs a bit more power all around, especially down low (I know the answer to this is a TDI). I found that off the line seemed to be where it struggled the most--just getting the car moving seemed like work for the engine, almost like you push the gas an inch before the car actually starts rolling ahead. But for an everyday tool around town car, it's a reliable engine for the masses and will serve most people just fine. Handling was not as good as the CC, a lot softer and more body roll through curves. Overall though I was impressed with the quality. I hate to say it but it almost seemed tighter and better built than the CC, without as much noise inside. This one did have Continental tires on it and not the Hankooks everyone moans about. FWIW I have Hankook Optimos on the wife's car and zero complaints?

One thing I couldn't shake though, was that when driving the Passat, I just couldn't help but feel like it was the textbook definition of transportation; if there were pictures in the dictionary, a picture of the Passat would be right next to the definition. Maybe that's attributed to being a 2.5 model which I know is the volume seller, but the reason I'm limiting myself to an SE is because at the price point of a TDI or a V6 car, I may as well buy a CC. An SE with sunroof can be had for around $23.5k, a good several thousand less than a CC. Then again that feeling may also be attributed to the fact that let's face it, the Passat (particularly the front) is a bit on the plain or understated side, depending on how you look at it. I do like the look of the car from the rear 3/4s in the sun with a nice metallic color highlighting that nice body line though.

I guess I was kind of trying to see if the CC was worth the added price tag. I love the looks and features of the CC (dying for a car with Xenons/LED tails) but the seemingly lower quality of the CC really surprised me. Equally as much though, the lack of power and feeling of basic transportation in the Passat is tough to get over. I also don't like how they nixxed the dual zone climate control on the '13 SE. Another thing with the Passat--I like the interior, but for some reason it seems really plain, almost like it doesn't have as many features as my wife's Beetle, when it pretty much does. I don't know if this is a placebo affect of the outside being kind of plain and therefore seeming like the inside is plain and lacking features when it's not, or if it's simply because the cabin is so large that there just doesn't look like as much stuff since it's not all cramped? I don't know, but I have no complaints with the interior either way. Just seems devoid of features even though I know that's not the case.

Thoughts? I'm really trying to like the Passat, and I'm really trying to like the $23.5k price point. My ideal Passat would be a TDI SE with sunroof and navigation, since I would get the diesel, the chrome trim and 18s on the outside, and still keep the aluminum trim inside, but like I said that's getting into the territory of lots of other cars. The test drive in the CC made me question the value at $30k+; it certainly seems hard to justify that much more coin over the Passat after today. Maybe neither the Passat nor the CC are the right car, I don't know. Kind of on the fence. I need a car though.
      Just curious what you would buy if not a NA Passat or a CC ?

Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT
      09-30-2012 10:04 PM #7
      I always live by this: if you get into a car, and you're unsure if you like it or not... it's not the right car for you. A car purchase should be a huge deal and if you test drive one and don't fall in love with it, walk away.

I test drove the Passat back in September of 2011 before they officially went on sale. I loved it. I had a B6 and was driving a Tiguan at the time. I had an Accord rental for two weeks while the Tig was in the shop. To me, comparing the 4 cars (B6, B7, Tiguan and Accord) I'd have the new Passat ahead of both. Even though I had 3 VW's, I still don't understand what's is meant by "Feeling German." Because if it's a feeling of a solid, planted, composed vehicle, I feel the new Passat meets that standard.

But as I said, the Passat or CC may not be for you, if you have to question the decision.
      ||||||||||||||
      CURRENT: 2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT
      PREVIOUS: 2009 VW Tiguan SE; 2006 VW Passat 2.0T; 1997 Oldsmobile Achieva Coupe

8. Member
      Vehicles
      10-01-2012 12:28 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Wagon05 View Post
      Just curious what you would buy if not a NA Passat or a CC ?
      Well, luckily at age 28 with a wife who is flexible and no desire for kids anytime during the ownership of my next car, I don't really have any specific needs that must be met; if I want a performance car, I can get one; if I want an SUV, I can get one; if I want a 2 seater, I can get one; etc. etc.

So to be honest if money were no object, and I realize this is a wide spread here and the vehicles aren't even comparable in the slightest, I'd be getting either a Mustang GT Premium optioned out exactly as I'd like ($40k, ouch!), or a Tiguan SEL (preferrably 4Motion). I can get into a GT Premium for just under $30k after negotiating hard, though it wouldn't have everything exactly as I'd want but I'd still love it without a doubt, I know (and standard xenons/LEDs/LED taillights!). I love the Tiguan SEL but let's face it, the Tiguan scores pretty much in the D/F range for value from every independent test out there; the SE is nice, but even those get very expensive very fast. I have a hard time looking at a mid-range SE and seeing close to a $34k tag on it, especially knowing it's pretty tough to get more than $3k off any VW since there isn't much margin on any models between invoice and sticker. Sure an SE with no roof and 2WD can be had for $28k or so, but IMO $28k is where a loaded SE should be. A Tiguan is an option but I'd really want the SEL and that's just getting too expensive, I need to keep things at about $30k, maybe a hair more at absolute most, but the cheaper the better.

So, Mustang and Tiguan aside, I don't have a whole lot of other cars that do it for me, even though I've got a lot of options at that price point. I strongly prefer to stick with new cars, since there just isn't anything like it once you've had one. Japanese cars are fantastic but boring, and remind me too much of basic transportation (even though let's face it Nissan and the Koreans are playing to win these days). I'd like to stick with an American V8 or something German. BMW and Mercedes are out of the price range for anything I'd want (I saw a new GLK 350 the other day with a $51k sticker and it still had lousy halogen headlights, really Mercedes? BMW isn't any better when it comes to stiffing the consumer with features that should far and away be standard at its price point), and I've been happy with my wife's VW, hence why I'm looking hard at a Passat. I do think the Passat is a really nice car with a lot of features and it's pretty tough to beat it at it's mid-$20k price point. I was only considering the Passat SE w/roof initially because I didn't see the Passat as something I'd want to pay much more for, but I don't know--maybe if I just said I'll take a Passat TDI SE w/roof/navi then I'd be pretty happy since I wouldn't be settling as far as a Passat is concerned.

The test drives bothered me because I expected the CC to be a slam dunk to go head to head against a GT in my top slots but I walked away from yesterday's drives feeling more confused.

Quote Originally Posted by capclassicv2 View Post
      I always live by this: if you get into a car, and you're unsure if you like it or not... it's not the right car for you. A car purchase should be a huge deal and if you test drive one and don't fall in love with it, walk away.
      I agree with this wholeheartedly. I always figured anyone spending $20k+ and up should not be settling at all for anything under any circumstance when talking about handing over that kind of cash.

9. 10-02-2012 08:12 PM #9
      Well, luckily at age 28 with a wife who is flexible and no desire for kids anytime during the ownership of my next car, I don't really have any specific needs that must be met; if I want a performance car, I can get one; if I want an SUV, I can get one; if I want a 2 seater, I can get one; etc. etc.

So to be honest if money were no object, and I realize this is a wide spread here and the vehicles aren't even comparable in the slightest, I'd be getting either a Mustang GT Premium optioned out exactly as I'd like ($40k, ouch!), or a Tiguan SEL (preferrably 4Motion). I can get into a GT Premium for just under $30k after negotiating hard, though it wouldn't have everything exactly as I'd want but I'd still love it without a doubt, I know (and standard xenons/LEDs/LED taillights!). I love the Tiguan SEL but let's face it, the Tiguan scores pretty much in the D/F range for value from every independent test out there; the SE is nice, but even those get very expensive very fast. I have a hard time looking at a mid-range SE and seeing close to a $34k tag on it, especially knowing it's pretty tough to get more than $3k off any VW since there isn't much margin on any models between invoice and sticker. Sure an SE with no roof and 2WD can be had for $28k or so, but IMO $28k is where a loaded SE should be. A Tiguan is an option but I'd really want the SEL and that's just getting too expensive, I need to keep things at about $30k, maybe a hair more at absolute most, but the cheaper the better.

So, Mustang and Tiguan aside, I don't have a whole lot of other cars that do it for me, even though I've got a lot of options at that price point. I strongly prefer to stick with new cars, since there just isn't anything like it once you've had one. Japanese cars are fantastic but boring, and remind me too much of basic transportation (even though let's face it Nissan and the Koreans are playing to win these days). I'd like to stick with an American V8 or something German. BMW and Mercedes are out of the price range for anything I'd want (I saw a new GLK 350 the other day with a $51k sticker and it still had lousy halogen headlights, really Mercedes? BMW isn't any better when it comes to stiffing the consumer with features that should far and away be standard at its price point), and I've been happy with my wife's VW, hence why I'm looking hard at a Passat. I do think the Passat is a really nice car with a lot of features and it's pretty tough to beat it at it's mid-$20k price point. I was only considering the Passat SE w/roof initially because I didn't see the Passat as something I'd want to pay much more for, but I don't know--maybe if I just said I'll take a Passat TDI SE w/roof/navi then I'd be pretty happy since I wouldn't be settling as far as a Passat is concerned.

The test drives bothered me because I expected the CC to be a slam dunk to go head to head against a GT in my top slots but I walked away from yesterday's drives feeling more confused.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. I always figured anyone spending $20k+ and up should not be settling at all for anything under any circumstance when talking about handing over that kind of cash.
      Wow - funny but you nailed all of my choices EXACTLY. My wife has a Tiguan SE (always been a 2 VW family - we are on our 20th VW collectively), my brother has(and I was considering this ) same Mustang (and he was always a die hard VW fan - but that Stang is alot of car at the price. The car I really want is an E350 wagon but can't justify the cost with a daughter going into college. I lease - new VW every 3 years which is a bit of a splurge for me - but I can't imagine buying a car and dealing with maintenence (I haven't even put tires on a car since 1998). I really wanted a wagon but there are not many choices. I agree with you on settling - you should get what you want and think is right for you . Most big ticket items suprisingly are a compromise - houses certainly are - house in the best neighborhood may not be the biggest or best , but you settle because it is the best choice for you at the time. That's how I feel about VWs - if I can't have an MB - I am VERY happy with having to drive a Passat.

10. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat SE TDI
      10-04-2012 02:08 PM #10
      I traded my 2009 CC for a 2012 Passat TDI SE and I have no regrets.

The combination of room, torque and mileage setd the Passat TDI apart from every single car you can buy. You can't find a car that has the passenger and trunk room, torque and mileage that the Passat TDI provides and that is at any cost. Think about that.

The 2.5 is like buying a condo near the beach, but not on the beach or half a loaf of bread. I f you buy the Passat, buy the SE TDI with no navi if you want to save some money.

I can drive from Fort Myers to Tampa in 90 degree heat and high humidity with four pople in the car and get 47-50 mpg if I keep the speed just below 70. I have plenty of torque to pass and my passengers think they are in a big Mercedes they have so much room.

I like the CC, but I think it has gotten a bit pricey and the Passat TDI gives the best bang for your buck.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
      10-05-2012 01:00 PM #11
      I think there is a tendency when comparing the Passat and the CC to revert to viewing the Passat as if it were the B6 and earlier car, instead of being not only a generational redesign, but also moving the entry price down very significantly into the "popular midsize" segment (which which it now appears to be competing very successfully, to judge by reviews and comments in the forums).

To have all the bells and whistles on the B7 Passat that some people believe should be standard, the entry level price would be more like.....the CC!

12. Member
      10-10-2012 10:19 PM #12

Go try a GLI w/DSG and report back.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      B7 SE V6
      10-11-2012 03:58 PM #13
      Puma, why not a GTI or GLI? In your price range, they both have better build quality and materials than the Passat and both have more interior room than the CC. They are smaller, but the GTI is probably more practical than the CC and even the Passat, in some ways. Same 2.0T as the CC but in a smaller/lighter car. Will definitely check the box for performance, even close to a Mustang, plus much more economical.

I recently test drove both the Passat and CC myself. Really liked the CC, I did feel like it was better quality than the Passat, but being 6'3" ruled that out right away. Coming from a Rabbit and Jetta with the 2.5 5, I knew that it wouldn't be nearly sufficient in a larger/heavier car. I ultimately was able to lease a Passat SE V6 for a very reasonable rate and couldn't be happier. I finally feel like my car has some balls again, I've been suffering with the 2.5 for years after having a 337.

Good luck! I would recommend the GTI or GLI in your situation or try to find a 2012 Passat V6 (if you can!).

14. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat SE x 2
      10-11-2012 05:03 PM #14
      I've got to voice in here. I just traded earlier this year from a 2011 CC to to 2012 2.5 SE Passat. With respect to your concerns:

1) The CC test drive was probably on par. I did have quite a bit of wind and road noise, due largely to the lack of B-pillars. That said, I am 6'2" and had no dimension/legroom problems, even with a very tall and long legged 12 year old daughter riding behind me.

2) The Passat is well built, but you are right - the engine is not up to par. The car needs the 2.0T available in America badly, no matter how well it is selling.

3) Agree with the more recent comments - if you want to combine the spunk of the CC and the roominess of the Passat, get the GLI. Best of both worlds. test drive will leave you smiling. Pus, if you are into mods, they can be found just about everywhere.

Chris
      2012 Passat SE x 2, bone stock

15. Member
      Vehicles
      10-11-2012 08:22 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by AsianDude View Post
      Go try a GLI w/DSG and report back.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tone337 View Post
      Puma, why not a GTI or GLI?

Good luck! I would recommend the GTI or GLI in your situation or try to find a 2012 Passat V6 (if you can!).
      Quote Originally Posted by csmbowls View Post
      I've got to voice in here. I just traded earlier this year from a 2011 CC to to 2012 2.5 SE Passat. With respect to your concerns:

3) Agree with the more recent comments - if you want to combine the spunk of the CC and the roominess of the Passat, get the GLI. Best of both worlds. test drive will leave you smiling. Pus, if you are into mods, they can be found just about everywhere.

Chris
      It's funny you guys all mention the GLI; not interested in the GTI, but I've looked at the new GLI Autobahn with Nav with the HIDs (haven't driven, just looked at after hours). It's a really nice looking car, but it seems to me like the interior is much cheaper, I like all the aluminum in the Passat/CC. I think a GLI may also be a bit too boy racer for me, I'm just looking for a nice daily driver that will remain bone stock (I have a Camaro for a summer toy). Not sure how I feel about all the red stitching, I think white stitching in the GLI would make it look more upscale.

I'm not sure, I do like the look of it though, even though Jettas are a dime a dozen (albeit not the GLI). It's on my list to take a look at, problem is at $30k (it would have to be the top model, the base GLI doesn't have enough comforts and then if you are in the Autobahn, may as well just spend the extra couple to get the top one) I can get a 420 hp Mustang GT. A Jetta in any iteration is a hell of a tough sale at $30k for me personally since there are a LOT of options around that price range, especially when dealers barely will deal on them, whereas I can get around $6k off a new GT Premium which brings it in line with the Autobahn/Nav GLI. A base GT can be had for around $27k if you look hard enough, and that's still a really nice car.

I kind of dislike how little margin there is on the VWs, there never seems to be a lot of negotiation room compared to other makes but oh well. I don't know, at $30k I'm pretty sure I'd go for the GT. That said I think the Jetta SEL is a nice car at a great price, but the GLI is much better looking. Sometimes I think I should be simple and just get a Jetta SEL and have a nice comfy daily driver without spending too much, but for some reason I have a niggle in the back of my mind that the Jetta (and for some reason only the Jetta) would end up being an unreliable, cheaply/poorly/cost-cuttingly built car that I'd more than end up paying for between years 3 and 5 (planning on keeping whatever car for around 5 years). I could be completely wrong, but for some reason I can't shake that thought that the Jetta would end up being expensive...probably bad memories of my old 325i which was the worst car I ever owned. There is one thing I loathe about the SEL though, and that's the lack of steering wheel controls on the right side, especially since my wife's Beetle has the full array on the steering wheel. *shrug*
      Last edited by puma1552; 10-11-2012 at 08:32 PM.

16. Member
      10-11-2012 08:59 PM #16
      VWs have had very narrow margins between MSRP and invoice for many years now, alot of the imports are headed that way too with the falling dollar value. The domestic makers are still able to maintain a healthy margin, but i am not sure how they do it.
      To really experience the quality of a CC, you need to at least drive the Executive model. I know its not in your price range, but it does give you a genuine fel of the platform and power train, the other trim levels are just compromises from there. I agree with you about all the unnecessary red stitching in the GLI, but it is a much more grown up car compared to the GTI.
      If you can stretch the budget alittle, the Passat V6 se may fit all your requirments.
      Good luck

Vehicles
      A hatchback of blah
      10-11-2012 10:41 PM #17
      My NMS 2.5SE has been a great car... I traded in my Golf on it and have never looked back. I love the anti-swagg and understated presence it has. Of course I also hate modern pop culture haha
      Auf mit dem spiel