Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Anyone do any prepping??

1. Member
      Vehicles
      07 Passatwagon 2.0t (Out to pasture 02 Jetta, 89 jetta, 85 golf)
      09-30-2012 10:22 AM #1
      HELLO,

It seems we all take an interest (folks among this forum) to position ourselves to be at an advantage financially
      speaking, we also may modify our vehicles to be at an advantage over similar vehicles. However, I question
      everyones personal preparedness(including my own) incase of natural disaster, or other circumstance that may disrupt our society from functioning as normally would..

It seems crazy to "Prep" but I wonder who really has food,water,meds,outdoor gear,items to protect oneself, and an evacuation plan in case there is a temporary disruption in civil society?

Please chime in with comments or questions!

Maybe even share tips; advice on solutions to some of these infrastucture failure related problems.

Vehicles
      2013 Tiguan 07 Suzi Swift
      09-30-2012 09:43 PM #2
      Just generally prepared for earthquake (a possibility where we live) or flood or long power cut (both also possibilities). So, basic food, water, clothing, back-packs, sleeping bags, tent, cooker, "wind-up" radio and USB power, torch's, batteries etc all in one easily grabbed spot near the car in the garage. Even if the garage came down in a HUGE earthquake (unlikely) it's light frame construction and so easily "got at" with ordinary tools.

Personally I don't think any long-term intentional stability is likely without at least a few days warning, if I'm wrong I'll at least last the first week LOL.

Cheers
      Derek
      Alexandra New Zealand
      Second Tig, 2013, TDi, Auto, night blue, park assist 2, auto lights and wipers, RCD510, fogs, tow pack
      http://www.alexandra.co.nz/

Vehicles
      '12 Touareg, '12 CC
      10-01-2012 11:59 AM #3
      prepare for each hurricane season - about it.

(had a great uncle whom "prepped" for y2k - people are crazy)
      .: FireVortex the Browser Extension for VWVortex :: Download now for Firefox & Google Chrome :: Powered by etivite

.: Features: Full Ignore a Member :: Thread Previews :: Kill Threads :: Products Search :: Quick Menu (favorite forums, subscribe topics, recently viewed) :: Custom Emoticons :: Quick Reply :: Full Screen Mode :: MyPage :: Kill Quoted Images :: Kill Quotes in Sigs :: more...

10-01-2012 12:08 PM #4
      I have guns and ammo. I'll pillage my way through if needed by forceful taking from others who have already hoarded a crapload of stuff.
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

5. 10-01-2012 04:11 PM #5
      when we had the tsunami hit here in hawaii, I went over the neighbors house and said "you have enough water and food, etc for us right?"

I may hole up in one of the late 50;s bombshelters some built when the 'red threat' was at it's height

10-02-2012 10:40 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by mauslick View Post
      when we had the tsunami hit here in hawaii, I went over the neighbors house and said "you have enough water and food, etc for us right?"
      This is the flaw of being more prepared than anyone else on your block. People will just go from house to house and loot supplies from whoever has them. Unless you live in a very remote area it's something of a disincentive to actually store up any more than 1-2 days of supplies at all. Anything more than that and you're just a target for looting. People who are dying of starvation are very motivated to use lethal force against whoever has the supplies and isn't sharing.