Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Does anybody swim here?

1. 09-30-2012 04:41 PM #1
      I'm thinking about starting swimming, for exercise not for sport, but I've heard a lot of people don't like it because it can be boring. I lost 60lbs a few years ago, and while overall I'm pretty happy, I've been self-conscious of the fact that I lack muscle tone (read: flabby). I hate running, and I have a hard time sticking with gym programs, so I read in GQ today about swimming and got interested.

Does anyone have any tips or resources for staying involved?
      Thanks.
      Quote Originally Posted by UNBANNED_GERBIL View Post
      Phew!!! Thank goodness it's a VW troll thread. If it were a Hyundai troll thread the bukkake faced fanboys would be frothing at the mouth

Vehicles
      10' GTI, 03' GTI 24v VR6, 82' soft top Rabbit
      09-30-2012 07:50 PM #2
      I swim a couple times per week. great workout! First and foremost, stay hydrated! It is easy to forget to drink water when your are literally swimming in it. Second change it up by using a kick board, hand fins and flippers. Other than that, pich an apple, put it in the basket. Excellent cardio and should tone you up pretty well

3. 09-30-2012 08:20 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by acdelco View Post
      I swim a couple times per week. great workout! First and foremost, stay hydrated! It is easy to forget to drink water when your are literally swimming in it. Second change it up by using a kick board, hand fins and flippers. Other than that, pich an apple, put it in the basket. Excellent cardio and should tone you up pretty well
      Huh?

Anyway when I get my paycheck this week I might get some hand fins, but I think they have kickboards at my pool.
      Phew!!! Thank goodness it's a VW troll thread. If it were a Hyundai troll thread the bukkake faced fanboys would be frothing at the mouth

4. 09-30-2012 09:15 PM #4
      So because you want to be more muscular you're going to start doing an aerobic endurance based activity?

Pick up something heavy, instead.

5. 09-30-2012 09:51 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by spoolin215 View Post
      So because you want to be more muscular you're going to start doing an aerobic endurance based activity?

No I just want to be leaner. I know weights are good for that but I have a really hard time fitting so much stuff into my schedule, so I thought swimming might be a good all around exercise.

Vehicles
      10' GTI, 03' GTI 24v VR6, 82' soft top Rabbit
      09-30-2012 10:37 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by josh_did_what View Post
      Huh?

Anyway when I get my paycheck this week I might get some hand fins, but I think they have kickboards at my pool.
      oops, I meant PICK an apple put it in your pocket, its something to think about when working on form.

7. Member
      09-30-2012 11:22 PM #7
      Swimming is great for you and the only people that would think it's boring are people that don't know how to swim, so they make an excuse. I have never swam competitively or anything, but I have always done it to some extent.

8. 10-01-2012 08:19 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by acdelco View Post
      oops, I meant PICK an apple put it in your pocket, its something to think about when working on form.
      Ohhhh yea haha.

Went this morning. It was fun I suppose, I'm completley exhausted though. Much harder than I expected. Planning to go back tomorrow or wednesday morning schedule permitting.

10-02-2012 03:44 PM #9
      Huh?

Do you swim well, now? I.E. do you have good form?

I recommend strongly that you stay away from hand fins/paddles until you get someone who isn't your swim buddy to critique your stroke. You can create serious pain for yourself.

See that over-45 but lean dude/gal who is always in the pool and looks like they're a machine? Ask them to watch you do a 100m as a favor.

10. Member
      10-02-2012 06:39 PM #10
      and then tell them that you'll watch them next

11. 10-03-2012 12:25 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      Do you swim well, now? I.E. do you have good form?

I recommend strongly that you stay away from hand fins/paddles until you get someone who isn't your swim buddy to critique your stroke. You can create serious pain for yourself.

See that over-45 but lean dude/gal who is always in the pool and looks like they're a machine? Ask them to watch you do a 100m as a favor.
      OK cool. One of my best friends is/was a swimmer so I'll ask him to come with me some times.

I did freestyle the whole time but (and this may sound like a dumb question) should I be doing backstroke or should I hold off until I have a trained partner?

And how long is a normal swim sesh? I did like 25-30 min, but I was hoping to do an hour. Then I did a few laps and was exhausted so I quickly changed my mind.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      Corvette & SV650
      10-04-2012 12:09 AM #12
      I did freestyle the whole time but (and this may sound like a dumb question) should I be doing backstroke or should I hold off until I have a trained partner?
      Since you're just doing this for weight loss, I don't see how it matters what you do so long as you're burning calories and aren't hurting yourself.

Too bad you don't live around here. Catching some waves is great exercise and fun enough that it'll keep you going out there.
      Quote Originally Posted by apizzaparty View Post
      never thought once to use my lefty for the brake. sorry in my opinion it is dumb.

13. 10-04-2012 11:18 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
      Since you're just doing this for weight loss, I don't see how it matters what you do so long as you're burning calories and aren't hurting yourself.

Too bad you don't live around here. Catching some waves is great exercise and fun enough that it'll keep you going out there.
      Aye I live in Buffalo, NY currently, so no I dont have any waves . I love the Northeast and want to move out to New England after school, but I was just in south Florida this weekend, and we had a hotel on the beach, and damn was that nice lol.

Vehicles
      2011 Ram 1500, 2003 Stratus SXT
      10-05-2012 03:48 PM #14
      OK cool. One of my best friends is/was a swimmer so I'll ask him to come with me some times.

And how long is a normal swim sesh? I did like 25-30 min, but I was hoping to do an hour. Then I did a few laps and was exhausted so I quickly changed my mind.
      I was a competitve swimmer for 20 years. I still swim from time to time but just being on a team and having someone in your lane or in the lane next to you will really push you. YMMV.

There's no problem swimming all freestyle. Actually, I remember my coach telling newbs that they don't do the other strokes until they are better conditioned.

25-30min is decent for just starting out. I started again this year and that's all I could do at first. Just make sure you track your distance (usually yards) for each workout and try to add to it every workout. Also, swimming is something that you can get REALLY good at quickly if you do it everyday (5-6x/wk). Also, make things interesting by using sets.

Very Basic Example:
      200 warmup
      200 kick w/ fins
      200 pull
      200 drill (corkscrew, thumb up side, etc. google is your friend)
      200 cool down

You can break down the 200s into 4x50s or whatever you feel like. For me, I always try to get up to 2000 yards per hour then I work on my speed. Once I can hit that in under an hour, I increase the yardage.
      Previously Owned: 2010 Kia Forte, 2010 JK Wrangler, 2007 Passat, 2003 Jetta, 2002 Jetta, 1992 Sentra, 1998 Dakota, 1990 Ford Ranger

Vehicles
      '11 GTI, '12 VW Passat 2.5 SE,
      10-21-2012 11:48 AM #15
      I was on a swim team in school. I just recently started swimming again just for fun/exorcize. It's funny that it seems like I have forgotten how to breath. LOL I keep getting splashes of water down my throat causing me to cough. I am doing mostly freestyle and pop in some breast stroke when I am getting out of breath. Unfortunately, they keep the pool to warm, and I find myself overheating. So my sessions are short.

Get some earplugs if you haven't already, makes life a lot easier keeping the water out of your ears.
      VW's from my past.
      1986 Scirocco 16v, 1998 Jetta GLX Vr6, 2002 Passat 1.8t, 2005 Passat 1.8t, 2009 Passat 2.0t.

16. 10-21-2012 12:44 PM #16
      To mix it up even more, you could do pool running. You look like an idiot but it's also a great workout. We would just do ladders of (for example) 15 seconds hard, 10 seconds rest, 30 seconds hard, 10 rest, 45, 15, 1:00, 15, 1:30, 15, 2:00, 15 rest etc. We would do it for like 30 to 45 minutes. That was what we'd do after a short run on our off days when I ran in college.

We also used the flotations you wrap around your waste. Skinny white kids don't float too well. But if you take the flotation off it's harder (but you'll most likely just compromise your form to make it work.)

17. Member
      Vehicles
      Corvette & SV650
      11-21-2012 02:12 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Curter View Post
      Swimming boost energy levels and increase acrobatic capacity.
      Funny, but since you're a spammer, you can go kill yourself.
      never thought once to use my lefty for the brake. sorry in my opinion it is dumb.

Vehicles
      91 Audi D11 V8, 71 Super, 07 E320 Bluetec, 05.5 Jetta 2.5
      11-25-2012 08:55 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by vwbrvr6 View Post
      I was on a swim team in school. I just recently started swimming again just for fun/exorcize. It's funny that it seems like I have forgotten how to breath. LOL I keep getting splashes of water down my throat causing me to cough. I am doing mostly freestyle and pop in some breast stroke when I am getting out of breath. Unfortunately, they keep the pool to warm, and I find myself overheating. So my sessions are short.

Get some earplugs if you haven't already, makes life a lot easier keeping the water out of your ears.
      similar here
      i did club swimming as a kid, and a couple years in high school. I always had an extra few pounds, so was never super fast, other than in breaststroke
      but long distances and open water were never a problem
      getting into the pool agian, i forgot i had one speed, and that was quick, and I cant go for hours taking a breat every 6 or 8 strokes, can barely make it 4 these days

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
      Funny, but since you're a spammer, you can go kill yourself.
      lol, to op, make it your goal to reach the inner gutters, and keep stretching after each swim, you will be surprised how much your flexibility increases

one of these can make it a much more enjoyable experience

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 BMW 325i, 2008 Yamaha R6
      11-30-2012 10:49 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by spoolin215 View Post

Haha, let me guess, size 48 chest, size 40 waist, 5'8''?

20. Senior Member FlashRedGLS1.8T's Avatar
      02-06-2013 02:29 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by mrothwell View Post
      Haha, let me guess, size 48 chest, size 40 waist, 5'8''?

21. Member
      Vehicles
      Corvette & SV650
      02-09-2013 03:58 PM #21
      It's too bad the moderators aren't worth a damn in this forum.

22. Member
      03-06-2013 12:04 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Aden699 View Post
      Swimming is my main sport,I am a distance swimmer (1500m in the pool, anything more open water!). Swimming is an activity that burns lots of calorie, is easy on the joint parts, facilitates your weight, creates muscle strength and stamina, enhances heart fitness, calme down you off and refreshes you in summer.
      Aden699, I like you. You seem to have a good head on your shoulders.

If you wind up spamming this place I'm going to hunt you down and kill you.