Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Driven: Ford Focus ST

1. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      10-01-2012 08:16 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by GolfVIDriver View Post
      I am really disappointed to hear about the back seat room in the Focus. That said, I don't really use my back seat, but the room back there is a huge plus for the GTI since it makes the car very usable.

I also agree that the shifter in the GTI sucks. The SHO has a very mechanical feeling linkage, one I wish the GTI emulated (if not the stiff shift action and general balky demenor of the SHO's box).

I also wish the GTI were maybe 15 - 20% more playful. As it is, its a little too buttoned down for my tastes, which I suppose is why it is so easy to live with day to day.

GReat review. I will have to go check one out.
      Thanks Matt.

Yeah, I wish the Focus had a bit less space allocated to the cargo hold and the rear seat was 2-3" further back. Of course given the roofline that'd mean anyone over about 5'8" would have their neck bent over to sit back there...the GTI's shape is definitely the box it came in, but it pays handsome rewards in the rear cabin and cargo area.

The GTI is a very nice small GT car, and in that role it definitely makes both daily driving and longer distance stuff easy. Given that's what I do with the car 95% of the time, I can't complain. I do wish it had the steering and shifter feel of the Focus, though.

2. Banned
      10-01-2012 08:37 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      the GTI's shape is definitely the box it came in, but it pays handsome rewards in the rear cabin and cargo area.
      I've heard complaints about the trunk of the Mk5 being too small for a hatch (with the seats up)? Has it changed in the Mk6?

Vehicles
      '00 GTI 1.8t, '05 Mazda6 Wagon V65M
      10-02-2012 01:17 AM #38
      My friend has a new ST. I saw it in his garage a couple of weeks ago. True story. I liked the Recaro's. I'm 6'3", 190 so they fit me well. My friend is only about 5'6", so I don't think back seat space will be an issue for him.

Vehicles
      Drivers, beaters, pedal bikes
      10-02-2012 03:50 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by C4 A6 View Post
      I've heard complaints about the trunk of the Mk5 being too small for a hatch (with the seats up)? Has it changed in the Mk6?
      Ours has a lot of room...

And the mk6 should be pretty much the same since it's the same chassis.

5. Global Moderator Paul@VWvortex's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 Taco TRD, 10 E70 3.0 Sport, '96 VR Fabrio, TDi Tristar Syncro, 1980 Scirocco S "Der Ott"
      10-02-2012 04:39 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by GolfVIDriver View Post
      I also agree that the shifter in the GTI sucks.
      I recently did the $50 Audi RS3 OEM shifter upgrade to my TDi and while it did shorten the fore-aft shifter motion it didn't do anything for the shifter feel. My next step is to purchase one of the dieselgeek weighted shifter and give that one a try.

Vehicles
      93 525iT, 91 318iS
      10-02-2012 04:45 PM #41
      Great review. Sounds like it's kept some of the driving characteristics of the first gen Focus. I'm not in the position to buy a new car right now but once these come down a bit on the used market I may seriously have to look at one. Also I don't care about back seat room, I have a strange pet peeve of people in the back of my car . All the more reason to not take them.
      Quote Originally Posted by Rutledge View Post
      Well, then, I'm here to "ruin" the vortex for you. I'm sorry you hate fun.
      91 318is M50 Swapped
      93 525iT

7. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      10-02-2012 05:24 PM #42
      It'd make for a fine 3 door; I wouldn't expect a ton of rear seat room in that case, and would buy the car accordingly.

But 4 door cars in this class, IMO, need to be utility players. A nice dose of sport, reasonable economy, and if they are 4 doors they should be able to seat 4 adults without too much discomfort.

I would be uncomfortable sitting behind myself in the Recaro-equipped ST for more than a short drive. Which is unacceptable to me, unfortunately. And also a darned shame, as if the GTI were totalled today and the ST had acceptable rear seat room I'd give it serious consideration. It's about $2-3k cheaper when fully optioned than an Autobahn package GTI, which makes it very good value for a car that drives better overall.

Vehicles
      NB Miata, تويوتا تاكوما
      10-02-2012 05:31 PM #43
      It'd make for a fine 3 door; I wouldn't expect a ton of rear seat room in that case, and would buy the car accordingly.

But 4 door cars in this class, IMO, need to be utility players. A nice dose of sport, reasonable economy, and if they are 4 doors they should be able to seat 4 adults without too much discomfort.
      The compact class in the past was usually more about 2 adults + 2 kids, but regardless, I can 'sit behind myself' in a Focus without issue. It's very dependent on expectations and seat position preferences, though. It's got more rear seat room than the old Corolla that served as my family car when kid #1 was a baby.

Not that I'm discounting your experience, but it's highly variable. Like I said, ten years ago all compact cars had about this much space, and it's only recently that cars like the Golf, Elantra, and Jetta have really pushed having 35"+ of rear legroom. The '02-'07 WRX had even less legroom than this, around 31" IIRC. It's smaller than a Golf but still works for me and a lot of other people. I guess I see it more optimistically.
      Splinter - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      I don't practice llanteria

10-02-2012 05:49 PM #44
      If I had to consolidate my two cars I'm going for an Oxford White Focus ST, loaded with 203A and moonroof.

Will drive one tomorrow.
      2011 328xiT/6 - 1999 M3/2/5 - 2000 323iT/5

10. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      10-02-2012 06:02 PM #45
      That's true. It wasn't possible to do what I describe in a Mk4 Jetta comfortably (a car noted for its lack of rear seat room).

But again, I'm not tall. I usually sit fairly upright and I had another 3" of rearward travel in the driver's seat, easily. And yet my knees were firmly pressed into the front seatback.

That, to me, isn't acceptable. It requires a compromise of neither the driver nor the rear passenger likely being comfortable for anything more than a cross-town jaunt. If I'm spending nearly $30k, I want more than that.

11. Banner Advertiser brad@fifteen52's Avatar
      Vehicles
      1988 BMW M3 2014 Ford Fiesta ST
      10-02-2012 06:07 PM #46
      I want more than that.
      You mean, like better handling, more power, and maybe an overall more rewarding driving experience on challenging roads?

I'm also not trying to discount your personal perspective, but as have others I also want to point out that perhaps the weight you place on rear seat room vs. excellent performance attributes would be more relevant in a Golf vs. Focus comparo, rather than a GTI vs. ST one?

12. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      10-02-2012 06:32 PM #47
      Maybe, Brad. I think my message here is, "I could very easily see this being my next car--if not for this one thing." And I'm quite up front with the fact that if this isn't an issue for you, it's a better driving car than the GTI.

The GTI is also at the end of its run, too, so it'll be interesting to see how the Mk7 w/Performance Pack compares to the Focus. My expectation is that it'll still be more refined and not have handling that is quite as playful--but VW has surprised us before (with the Mk5 GTI); perhaps they benchmarked the Focus ST in their final suspension calibrations.

Vehicles
      '12 TCLs Favorite Rental SE, '72 MGB GT, '58 MGA
      10-02-2012 06:48 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by brad@fifteen52 View Post
      You mean, like better handling, more power, and maybe an overall more rewarding driving experience on challenging roads?

I'm also not trying to discount your personal perspective, but as have others I also want to point out that perhaps the weight you place on rear seat room vs. excellent performance attributes would be more relevant in a Golf vs. Focus comparo, rather than a GTI vs. ST one?
      Good point. Performance comes inevitably with drawbacks. To get great seats that allow you to be comfortable and secure, youre going to lose interior space. The stock 'sport' seats I have in my Focus are very comfortable and supportive. Theyre just barely below the Recaros that I had in my MKV GLI in comfort. Honestly, after shopping this segment and buying the Focus over the MKVI, the driving dynamics are better in the Ford and the interior space (with the 'sport' seats) is on par with the MKVI. The interior trunk space is better in the Focus but it suffers from a sloping rear glass which takes some space away from overall interior volume compared to the MKVI. Ive had people ranging from 5'6" to 6'0" in the back seat and they havent complained about the lack of room (and Im 6'3").

14. 10-03-2012 12:32 AM #49
      InsideLines track test numbers don't seem to be that fast. 15s for 1/4 is a bit slow. That is slower than a heavier BMW 328 with similar HP.
      http://www.insideline.com/ford/focus...rack-test.html
      Acceleration
      0-30 (sec): 2.8 (2.9 w/ TC on)
      0-45 (sec): 4.5 (4.8 w/ TC on)
      0-60 (sec): 6.6 (7.2 w/ TC on)
      0-60 with 1-ft Rollout (sec): 6.3 (6.8 w/ TC on)
      0-75 (sec): 9.9 (10.0 w/ TC on)
      1/4-Mile (sec @ mph): 15.0 @ 93.3 (15.1 @92.5 w/ TC on)

Braking
      30-0 (ft): 28
      60-0 (ft): 112

Handling
      Slalom (mph): 69.1 (67.7 w/TC off)
      Skid Pad Lateral Acceleration (g): 0.93 (0.91 w/TC on)
      Db @ Idle: 45.6
      Db @ Full Throttle: 78.4
      Db @ 70-mph Cruise: 64.7
      RPM @ 70: 2,650

Vehicles
      10-03-2012 11:06 AM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by livingVoice View Post
      InsideLines track test numbers don't seem to be that fast. 15s for 1/4 is a bit slow. That is slower than a heavier BMW 328 with similar HP.
      How often do you do a 1/4 mile? The 0-30 and 0-60 times are what matters and they are definitely acceptable.

Vehicles
      NB Miata, تويوتا تاكوما
      10-03-2012 02:33 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by MCTB View Post
      How often do you do a 1/4 mile? The 0-30 and 0-60 times are what matters and they are definitely acceptable.
      They are, but compared to Inside Line's test of a Mk6 GTI the performance isn't as good as you'd expect for a 25% power bump. The acceleration times are all very close.

http://www.insideline.com/volkswagen...and-video.html

They're both significantly slower than the 262hp Mazdaspeed3.

http://www.insideline.com/mazda/mazd...and-video.html

Though I'd argue that these cars are, after all, direct competitors regardless of horsepower ratings, so it's not a horrible thing. The Focus is reportedly capable of similar fuel economy to the GTI also. So at the end of the day, the big tradeoff, GTI vs. F-ST, is that the GTI has more passenger space, and the ST has more cargo space and better handling.

17. 10-03-2012 02:39 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by MCTB View Post
      Yes those numbers are perfectly acceptable, but it doesn't change the fact that it is still not delivering what was expected given its power output. The numbers are hardly better if at all than a GTI or Si. With a New GTI, Speed3 and WRX around the corner which we assumed will all be much improved over their current models, the Focus ST might have a hard time moving out of the lots.

Vehicles
      2013 focus ST ST3
      10-03-2012 02:46 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by koko12 View Post
      Yes those numbers are perfectly acceptable, but it doesn't change the fact that it is still not delivering what was expected given its power output. The numbers are hardly better if at all than a GTI or Si. With a New GTI, Speed3 and WRX around the corner which we assumed will all be much improved over their current models, the Focus ST might have a hard time moving out of the lots.
      Didn't they say that the new GTI will have 260 hp?

Vehicles
      2013 Civic SI, 2011 EX35
      10-03-2012 02:48 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by hardcore4life View Post
      Didn't they say that the new GTI will have 260 hp?
      217-227 is what I have seen.

Vehicles
      2013 focus ST ST3
      10-03-2012 02:51 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by rynodyno312 View Post
      217-227 is what I have seen.
      yeah but, almost every website was betting on the 260 hp

21. 10-03-2012 03:01 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by hardcore4life View Post
      yeah but, almost every website was betting on the 260 hp
      Then they were wrong.

Honestly, the GTI has enough power for my daily drive. More is always better, but I don't track the car, and maybe this is my age speaking but I am already running out of road to stretch my car's legs as it is.
      2012 Toyota Prius 3, Blizzard White/Gray
      2014 Volkswagen Jetta GLI Edition30, Pure White/Black V-tex/carbon

Son of a gun / Master of fate / Bows to no god, kingdom, or state.

Vehicles
      NB Miata, تويوتا تاكوما
      10-03-2012 03:19 PM #57
      It's something that FWD luxury cars hit in the early '90s, then midsize cars a few years ago, and now sport compacts.

I'm not bashing front wheel drive, because I think it is the most appropriate drive arrangement for a hot hatch, but there is a point where increasing power starts to ruin the car's drivability more than it increases the performance. These are, after all, cars that are built as a tradeoff between practicality and fun; and once you've got more than, say, 160hp per ton in a FWD car, you start really depending on electronics to keep the car tractable.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      Beetle R-line
      10-03-2012 03:21 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by Paul@VWvortex View Post
      I recently did the $50 Audi RS3 OEM shifter upgrade to my TDi and while it did shorten the fore-aft shifter motion it didn't do anything for the shifter feel. My next step is to purchase one of the dieselgeek weighted shifter and give that one a try.
      Replace the shifter bushings. I believe I had the 42DD ones attached to my RS3 shifter on my MKV...it helped a lot with the shift feeling.

10-03-2012 03:56 PM #59
      Thanks to Numbersix I drove the Focus ST today at Lindsay Ford in Wheaton, MD (great family-owned dealer...)

My demo was an ST2 in Black with the black/grey Recaro seats. I know I'm getting fat at 5'9" and 200 lbs but damn, they're tight. Still want them but something to think about if you're not as slim as you were in high school

The drive was excellent, ride isn't too punishing, throaty exhaust note, responsive in-gear acceleration. I forgot how fun it is to drive a hot hatch since I was in the 4Runner.

The steering wheel was a four-spoke which I don't love but meaty and an unfortunate abundance of buttons. There is a display of pertinent information in the instrument cluster, with decent, legible gauges. I never tried to fiddle with the infotainment system but I'm sure I could figure it out. The oddest part of the interior is how far away the shifter is, it's almost in the passenger footwell. You get used to it, and it wouldn't be an issue, but it's in contrast to every other car I've driven.

A few months ago I was thinking about a Golf R to take over as sole car but at 35k I wasn't sold. If I could get an Oxford White ST3 with moonroof at some point for about 27k I think I'm there despite just having FWD.

They just started building 202A cars so they haven't hit lots yet, when they trickle in I'll find one to sit in. Very excited about the Focus ST.

Vehicles
      '08 135i, '00 4runner, '85 Huntsman (Toyota) RV
      10-03-2012 05:32 PM #60
      Nice write-up.

I've had a regular Focus all week as a rental, and I have to say I really liked it.

I also have a Windows Phone and tried it with the USB and still didn't have much luck. There may be an app that's needed to add fucntionality or something, but if that's all it has that sucks.

The Focus is really solid, and the interior fit and finish is something that would have been a fantasy in a Ford a few years ago. The center console and controls could still use a little work, but they're not bad.

Braking and steering felt really good. The standard model is a little slow, but I saw 33.5 MPG on the computer doing about 80% highway and 20% heavy city traffic (New Orleans).

The power windows seem to be really slow, and auto up and down on the driver's side would be nice (it only has auto down).

The automatic transmission has its quirks at low speeds and in parking lots, as has been discussed before, but after a few days with it and knowing why it is the way it is, you can minmize it.

If I were in the market for a car in this class, I'd give it very serious consideration. The Toyota Avalon I had two weeks ago.....now that's a different story for another thread!

Vehicles
      10-03-2012 06:18 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by koko12 View Post
      So here is my question. Since when does one discount the total, overall driving dynamics of a car because of power output? I highly doubt that the ST will be a tough sale. What makes you think this will happen? I cannot think of one person who looks at the hp rating on the sticker. You buy a car for the feeling and experience. Not because it has a few more horsepower than its closest competitor. If that was the case, the oft leg humped FRSwhatever would be universally trashed. Last I checked, they werent hard sales at all. Go test drive a new GTI, followed by a new Speed3 followed by a new ST. Tell me which one is a better drive out of the box. I bet it will be the "hard time moving out of the lots" ST.

Magazine spec conjecture is dumb. Go out and actually drive these three and then come back. I drove a Mazda3, MKVI and Impreza. I bought the Focus. Leaps and bounds ahead of its competition for far less money.

27. 10-04-2012 02:46 AM #62
      Styling wise this thing s***s all over the current gti

28. 10-04-2012 09:38 AM #63
      Thanks for the review. Wish Ford would have offered an auto tran option. Might have bought one instead of the Mini Cooper S.

10-04-2012 02:58 PM #64
      It is a little odd that there's no dual-clutch trans for this car but glad there isn't, at least for me.

As for the rear seats, I found it serviceable. A guy at the dealer had one with Recaros and a child seat in the back but I'm not sure a rear-facing seat would fit. I never have back-seat passengers so it's of no concern.

30. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      10-04-2012 03:07 PM #65
      I think if your typical rear seat usage is 1) your coat and bag, 2) small children, 3) occasional around-town drives with adults, the rear seat leg room is acceptable.

It just isn't great if, like me, you take 2+ passengers on a 60+ mile drive once a month...sometimes more like 200 miles.

31. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 A4 Avant
      10-04-2012 03:33 PM #66
      I think if your typical rear seat usage is 1) your coat and bag, 2) small children, 3) occasional around-town drives with adults, the rear seat leg room is acceptable.

It just isn't great if, like me, you take 2+ passengers on a 60+ mile drive once a month...sometimes more like 200 miles.
      Most of my back seat usage falls into your 1st piece above, which is very relieving as the ST is high on my list to replace my current vehicle.

Thanks for posting the review, will have to see if my local Ford has any on the lot.
      Twitter/Instagram: idfront
      Xbox Live: DaDa5069

Vehicles
      NB Miata, تويوتا تاكوما
      10-04-2012 03:42 PM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by MAGICGTI View Post
      I'm not sure a rear-facing seat would fit.
      It will.

Quote Originally Posted by cars.com
      The rear-facing convertible fit well in the Focus, and there was no need to move the front passenger seat forward.

Quote Originally Posted by cars.com
      Infant-safety seat: To get this rear-facing car seat to fit in the Focus, we had to move the front passenger seat forward more than an inch. The front passenger still had good legroom, though.

The ST optional Recaros do lack the scalloping for extra knee room that the base seats do, so if max seating room is a priority, go for the base seats. However for infant/child seats that doesn't matter, all that matters is the "seat pitch" (distance from seat back to seat back).

Those two particular models of seats are also pretty big (Britax Roundabout and Graco SnugRide 30). If you get a more compact infant seat like a Chicco KeyFit you might gain back that extra inch of front seat travel.
      Last edited by AKADriver; 10-04-2012 at 03:47 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12