Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Coupe brake and steering question? HALP!!

Hybrid View

Vehicles
      2004 A4, 2005 lotus elise 111R, 2004 S4 Avant 6sp, 82 caddy diesel
      09-30-2012 08:15 PM #1
      ok so i just picked up a CQ at an estate auction , and i got it running ( has been sitting since 05') and the engine came back and sounds great . I have one issue thats keeping me from driving it and its the lack of brakes / PS . I know they are linked . my question how does it work ? what can i check ? right now the pump reservoir " boils over " (not heat) and i have very spotty power steering and almost no pedal movement on the brake .. one caliper was seized the drivers rear .

my plan is to put a new caliper / rotor on the rear and rotors and pad all over . re bleed and use new fluid .. what else can i check
      also the "BRAKE" light is on
      thanks again!! help me get this think back on the road

2. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1991 Coupe Quattro
      10-04-2012 10:21 AM #2
      If you haven't discovered it already http://20v.org/ is a great resource for these cars.

Brake problems and dash lights usual lead to the "bomb" 20V.org has some good information on it, but I haven't had to mess with mine yet.

Haven't had to mess with the steering system much either other than keeping it topped off, but flushing the system and making sure the correct fluid is used seem to be popular solutions for trouble with it.

3. 10-17-2012 02:08 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Harzley View Post
      Haven't had to mess with the steering system much either other than keeping it topped off, but flushing the system and making sure the correct fluid is used seem to be popular solutions for trouble with it.
      This.

I put in Prestone once and will never make that mistake again... as soon as I flushed with OEM spec the problem disappeared.
      Brilliant Black 1990 Coupe quattro /// Project: Because Racecar "Sabine"
      Cayenne Pearl 1990 Coupe quattro /// Project: Parts Car (Parked) "Gertrude"
      Brilliant Black 1992.5 UrS4 /// Project: Daily Driver "URS4LA"