Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)

Thread: Volvo sells out first batch of V60 diesel plug-in hybrid EV wagon

09-30-2012 07:25 PM #1
      http://www.chargedevs.com/content/ne...60-diesel-phev

Quote Originally Posted by CHARGED EVs Magazine
      Volvo announced that the first batch of its V60 Plug-in Hybrid has sold out in Europe, with no plans to sell in the US, before the car even reached the showrooms. The world’s first diesel PHEV features a unique design: a 2.4 liter, five-cylinder turbodiesel powers the front wheels, while a 70 hp electric motor drives the rear wheels. In electric-only Pure Mode, the V60 has a range of about 30 miles. In Power Mode, it boasts 285 hp and 640 Nm of torque, and can do 0-100 kph in 6.1 seconds.

The V60 PHEV was jointly developed by Volvo and Swedish electricity supplier Vattenfall. After the initial batch of 1,000 cars for model year 2013, Volvo will increase production to 5,000 units for model year 2014.

The excitement of the news was only slightly diminished by Senior VP Doug Speck’s statement at the Paris Motor Show on Thursday, which was almost a verbatim repetition of a statement that Volvo released last December: “None of our competitors can offer customers an equally ingenious car. Its uncompromising attitude to green motoring elevates hybrid technology to an entirely new level.”
      2008 Audi TT Coupe 3.2 VR6 Quattro 6MT - Ibis White / Black
      2006 Audi A8 L 4.2 Quattro - Brilliant Black / Amaretto
      1990 Mercedes-Benz 560SEC - Black / Black

2. 09-30-2012 07:36 PM #2
      that is the perfect car

Vehicles
      2012 MINI Cooper S, 1996 Subaru Impreza RallyMachine
      09-30-2012 07:41 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by mookieblaylock View Post
      that is the perfect car
      QFT. I want one so bad.

Vehicles
      1997 Toyota Camry LE V6, 2009 Nissan GT-R
      09-30-2012 07:42 PM #4
      that is the perfect car
      It is.

Too bad if they brought the car over, they'd probably sell three. One to the TCLer who actually put money where his mouth is.
      Free 1SICKLEX

Vehicles
      2011 S4, 2012 S60 T6, 1980 911
      09-30-2012 07:50 PM #5
      It kills me we don't get any newer Volvo wagons (xc70 not included)
      '78 MGB for sale...contact me for details
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...6#post82404306

Vehicles
      2007 TW Fit Sport
      09-30-2012 07:56 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Nubbin View Post
      It is.

Too bad if they brought the car over, they'd probably sell three. One to the TCLer who actually put money where his mouth is.
      Would it really do that poorly?

7. Member
      Vehicles
      1957 Testa Rossa
      09-30-2012 08:22 PM #7
      30 miles EV is pretty good. I wonder how much interior space is removed by the batteries and motors in the rear? Maybe that is why they chose the wagon format.

Vehicles
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe
      09-30-2012 09:11 PM #8
      Do want.
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

Vehicles
      09 Rabbit S 5MT
      09-30-2012 09:19 PM #9
      Volvo is taking VW's lead of not bringing the good stuff to the US market.

Exchange rates my ass.
      :gift:

Vehicles
      '55 Ford 351C, '80 Rabbit AAZ
      09-30-2012 09:22 PM #10
      Must be more of a trial run to work out the bugs if they only sold 1000 of them?
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.

Vehicles
      2006 Volkswagen Jetta 2004 Ford Escape
      09-30-2012 09:48 PM #11
      that is the perfect car
      Except for the price, unfortunately it's pretty expensive technology right now.

12. 09-30-2012 09:52 PM #12
      I love wagons and this one is no exception it's just beautiful. Too bad we'll never see it here

09-30-2012 10:02 PM #13
      The reviews have been favorable. It does have some kinks to iron out before the next version though but the tech sounds promising. Here's a review from the UK.

The Volvo V60 D6 Plug-in Hybrid is an oxymoron; an efficient eco car that manages 0-62mph in 6.2 seconds. We hit the circuit to find out more

Hybrid technology looks set to stay – at least until the hydrogen fuel cell saves us all – with almost all major car manufacturers investing heavily in fuel efficient vehicles and battery powered motors. This can only be a good thing; better fuel efficiency means cheaper running costs, while electric motors significantly reduce exhaust emissions.

Annoyingly though, Hybrid cars – for all their worthiness – generally fail at the fun stuff. They cost very little to run, but don’t provide much in the way of driver experience. But Volvo thinks it's about to change that with the world’s first diesel plug-in hybrid - catchily dubbed the Volvo V60 D6 Plug-in Hybrid.

Volvo V60 Plug-in Hybrid: Tech

The V60 has two motors, a 212bhp D5 2.4-litre diesel at the front and a 69bhp electric motor mounted at the rear that can be plugged directly into the mains and charged just 4.5 hours.

How green you go is entirely up to you as there are three distinct drive modes. Pure offers all electric emission free driving with an impressive top speed of 74mph and a range of 32miles. If you have a short commute, or only take the car to the supermarket you’ll go days without needing diesel.

Switch to Hybrid and the car will use battery power for pootling about, but if you need more revs, or are running low on electricity, the diesel engine kicks in. The result is a low emissions – just 49g/km – car that can cover up to 620miles on a single tank. As with other hybrids the diesel motor and braking charge the battery to around 40%, or 12.5miles range.

Hit the Power button and leave your eco-conscience on the kerb. By combining the 215hp of the diesel engine, 70hp and full 600Nm of torque from the electric the V60 can manage 0-62mph in just 6.2seconds. Naturally this can’t be sustained for long, but it is fun.

Volvo V60 D6 Plug-in Hybrid: Spec

- Engine: Automatic D5 2.4-litre diesel, 147lb ft electric
      - Power (bhp): 215 diesel, 70 electric (215 + 70 combined)
      - 0-62mph: 6.2sec
      - Top speed: 142mph (74mph electric only)
      - Fuel efficiency: 149mpg (optimum)
      - CO2 emissions: 49g/km (Hybrid mode)

Volvo V60 D6 Plug-in Hybrid: Performance

But how does it drive? T3 were granted exclusive access at the Goodwood Festival of Speed. The V60 feels every inch the £47,000 luxury car. The cabin is spacious, comfortable and packed with tech. The large TFT dashboard displays battery charge, speed and the split between battery and diesel power while the drive buttons are mounted below the centre column.

Being a Volvo it’s overflowing with safety features; Cameras monitor the lines on the road and beep if you start to drift, warn you if you get too close to the car in front and even have blind spot monitors.

With the famous Goodwood hill climb stretching ahead we couldn’t resist trying the Power mode first, and the 280bhp didn’t disappoint, feeling anything but eco. Even the extra 300kg extra battery weight couldn’t slow us down.

Switching to Pure, the electric engine accelerates smoothly and silently and had more than enough nip for overtaking – a top speed of 74mph is good enough for most trips. Take it easy and you’ll enjoy 32miles of emission free low cost driving, but when you do need more power the diesel kicks in.

Driving without the sounds of the diesel engine feels great, and in Hybrid mode – the car’s default setting – it was surprisingly easy to keep the car running on battery alone. The indicator dial on the dash shows how close you are to needing the diesel engine, and, while the transition between the two wasn’t totally seamless, it didn’t detract from a decent driving experience.

Volvo V60 D6 Plug-in Hybrid: Verdict

Even using electric the V60 doesn’t feel like an eco car. It has the power and acceleration to hold its own in busy traffic and the flexibility to plug in (driveway dependent) and top up on cheap fuel at the end of the day.

Official MPG figures are always a little skewed, and you’ll never get close to 149mpg on regular roads, but there’s no doubt that if you drive clever you’ll rarely need to fill the tank.

The V60 is every bit the luxury car and despite government grants beyond most budgets, but with exceptional energy savings, zero road tax, congestion charge and reduced fuel costs it should be a no-brainer for company car drivers who want power and their bosses who crave efficiency.

Vehicles
      1998 Volvo V70 T5M, 2013 Honda Odyssey Touring
      09-30-2012 10:05 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by uncleho View Post
      30 miles EV is pretty good. I wonder how much interior space is removed by the batteries and motors in the rear? Maybe that is why they chose the wagon format.
      Interior space isn't compromised too much. I got to get a good look at one a few months back. You can see the cargo floor is slightly raised, but not much.

Volvo Expert/Master Tech

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Fiat 500, 2005 Vstrom 650
      09-30-2012 10:39 PM #15
      So how big of a gas tank does this thing have? I checked some of the euro sites and couldn't find anything. The regular wagon model has a 17 gallon tank. The reason I ask is this:

"Switch to Hybrid and the car will use battery power for pootling about, but if you need more revs, or are running low on electricity, the diesel engine kicks in. The result is a low emissions – just 49g/km – car that can cover up to 620miles on a single tank. As with other hybrids the diesel motor and braking charge the battery to around 40%, or 12.5miles range.

Hit the Power button and leave your eco-conscience on the kerb. By combining the 215hp of the diesel engine, 70hp and full 600Nm of torque from the electric the V60 can manage 0-62mph in just 6.2seconds. Naturally this can’t be sustained for long, but it is fun.

Volvo V60 D6 Plug-in Hybrid: Spec

- Engine: Automatic D5 2.4-litre diesel, 147lb ft electric
      - Power (bhp): 215 diesel, 70 electric (215 + 70 combined)
      - 0-62mph: 6.2sec
      - Top speed: 142mph (74mph electric only)

Assuming the plug in has the same size tank (probably doesn't???), if it's only getting 620 miles out of a tank, that 149mpg is way off. Hell, I used to get around 625 miles out of my 2000 TDI Jetta - I really wish I had kept that car........

Vehicles
      2010 MkVI MT TDI Golf, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      10-01-2012 01:32 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by MeineFolks'wagen View Post

Assuming the plug in has the same size tank (probably doesn't???), if it's only getting 620 miles out of a tank, that 149mpg is way off. Hell, I used to get around 625 miles out of my 2000 TDI Jetta - I really wish I had kept that car........
      It says "optimum" - so I assume that includes using the electricity, first.
      Aung San Suu Kyi

17. Member
      Vehicles
      Corvette & SV650
      10-01-2012 02:33 AM #17
      Diesel wagon. These two words together are the automotive sales equivalent of an cawk block in America.
      Quote Originally Posted by apizzaparty View Post
      never thought once to use my lefty for the brake. sorry in my opinion it is dumb.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      V70R, CRV, Aircooled Bug
      10-01-2012 03:27 AM #18
      that is the perfect car
      It is my perfect car. I really wish Volvo would bring this to the US. I doubt I would be able to afford it new, but I would most definitely pick up a slightly used one ~2-3 years after they came here

Vehicles
      2009 vw rabbit
      10-01-2012 07:18 AM #19
      1.Its a Volvo
      2.Its diesel
      3.Its plug in
      4.Wagon

Its not sold in North America
      Z is pronounced ZED

Vehicles
      2012 GLI
      10-01-2012 09:37 AM #20
      I love the car, would find a way to afford it (lease). But I would be just as happy with a Volvo V60 wagon. At least give us that.

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      10-01-2012 09:41 AM #21
      If you're really into making one car do it all, or are just interested in a technology statement, it's pretty amazing that Volvo got diesel hybrid tech to market. I've always said it probably wouldn't be done, because it makes no economic sense, and really, this is the exception that proves the rule because it's such a limited batch. Clearly, for how eye-wateringly expensive it is, it's not an exercise in saving money, and if you can afford that, you can afford two vehicles, one utilitarian and one efficient. It's sort of awesome to see that there's at least a thousand people willing to pony up for something like this, though.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      10-01-2012 09:43 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Fettes Brot View Post
      Interior space isn't compromised too much. I got to get a good look at one a few months back. You can see the cargo floor is slightly raised, but not much.
      ]
      The perspective is sort of odd, and it's hard to tell...but it looks to me that it sacrificed a huge amount of cargo room. That battery pack raised the floor at least six inches, to my eyes at least. And the regular V60 wagon is not exactly like the capacious Volvo wagons of yore.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow Man View Post
      The Terror Grill: Part restaurant, part amusement attraction, part gladiator arena, all profit.
      ARE YOU NOT SATIATED?!?!?!

Vehicles
      08 Elantra, 12 Focus
      10-01-2012 11:55 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Fettes Brot View Post

Glad to see Volvo continuing their tradition of simple designs for their wheels. They have some of the best looking oem wheels over the years, imo.
      Quote Originally Posted by Jesus is my pilot View Post
      Pro-abortionists are so rabid for the killing of babies they are willing to sacrifice the health and safety of women to make sure they continue.
      Quote Originally Posted by koidragon1980 View Post
      If Jesus is your pilot, then irony is your vehicle.

Vehicles
      1998 Volvo V70 T5M, 2013 Honda Odyssey Touring
      10-01-2012 09:32 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by A.Wilder View Post
      Glad to see Volvo continuing their tradition of simple designs for their wheels. They have some of the best looking oem wheels over the years, imo.
      I couldn't agree more!
      Volvo Expert/Master Tech

10-04-2012 01:52 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      If you're really into making one car do it all, or are just interested in a technology statement, it's pretty amazing that Volvo got diesel hybrid tech to market. I've always said it probably wouldn't be done, because it makes no economic sense, and really, this is the exception that proves the rule because it's such a limited batch. Clearly, for how eye-wateringly expensive it is, it's not an exercise in saving money, and if you can afford that, you can afford two vehicles, one utilitarian and one efficient. It's sort of awesome to see that there's at least a thousand people willing to pony up for something like this, though.
      I agree with your post.

For the record though, Peugeot was first to market with a production diesel hybrid vehicle. This Volvo is the first production diesel hybrid car with plug in capability however.
      2008 Audi TT Coupe 3.2 VR6 Quattro 6MT - Ibis White / Black
      2006 Audi A8 L 4.2 Quattro - Brilliant Black / Amaretto
      1990 Mercedes-Benz 560SEC - Black / Black