Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Speaker bracket for front door 6.5" speakers?

Vehicles
      2010 SportWagen S
      09-30-2012 10:48 PM #1
      Has anyone replaced the 6.5" speakers in the front doors yet? If so, what bracket/adapter did you use to fit them in?

I'm finally getting around to putting in my speakers that I've had for 2 years, and just get everything apart to find that after you remove the stock 6.5", there is a giant hole there. Much larger than I've ever seen in a VW. Thought I would be able to use the adapters I made for my Passat, but this opening is at least 2" wider.

If anyone has done it, please let me know how you went about it. Otherwise I'll have to start experimenting!

And I've searched relentlessly to no avail. So please no trolls. Helpful input or feedback only.

Thanks in advance!
      Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
      The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 JSW TDI, 6MT, CW, Panoroof
      10-03-2012 12:10 PM #2
      I have only seen people do direct swaps with speakers that fit. I want to dive into this cars stereo so bad but I'm afraid of opening up that stereo mod bug. It never ends!

Vehicles
      2010 SportWagen S
      10-03-2012 05:43 PM #3
      Yeah, I've done continued research and I think the best route is a custom bracket out of wood. There are a few plastic and metal options that look pretty weak.

When I get around to doing it, I'll try to document it so we have some info for anyone else wanting to try it.
      The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine.

4. 10-03-2012 10:36 PM #4
      This is something that I am also interested in (replacing all speakers, not just the 6.5). Would be very interested if anyone has done so. I checked with Crutchfield (my go-to on audio) and they said that they don't have anything that directly fits the woofers in the front doors because of how shallow the factory woofers are, and the mids in the rear doors. any feedback available would be appreciated!

5. Member
      Vehicles
      10 JSW TDI, 12 R
      10-04-2012 07:18 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by billy2.0 View Post
      Has anyone replaced the 6.5" speakers in the front doors yet? If so, what bracket/adapter did you use to fit them in?

I'm finally getting around to putting in my speakers that I've had for 2 years, and just get everything apart to find that after you remove the stock 6.5", there is a giant hole there. Much larger than I've ever seen in a VW. Thought I would be able to use the adapters I made for my Passat, but this opening is at least 2" wider.

If anyone has done it, please let me know how you went about it. Otherwise I'll have to start experimenting!

And I've searched relentlessly to no avail. So please no trolls. Helpful input or feedback only.

Thanks in advance!
      The factory speaker is a 7". I swapped in some 6.5" Focals by whipping up some plywood donuts. The donut is held to the door with some J-clips and then the speaker bolts to the adapter.

_MG_0331 by Toe_Ball, on Flickr

Vehicles
      2010 SportWagen S
      10-04-2012 10:17 AM #6
      Toe Ball, that is exactly what I was planning on doing. Didn't consider the j-hooks though, good idea!

I measured out everything for the adapters, and cleared off my work bench last night so I can try it out this weekend if all goes well!