Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Results 176 to 209 of 209

    Thread: So, realistically, how do we (and the organizers) improve the show?

    1. Member Bsaint's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 26th, 2008
      Location
      West Chester, PA & Palm Beach, FL
      Posts
      1,030
      Vehicles
      Collection of German
      10-03-2012 07:10 PM #176
      Quote Originally Posted by 71camaro View Post
      I wish people would stop putting this out there. It's not at the casino/race track because it is now a casino and they don't think they'll make as much money with us there. That's it. It's a business decision on trying to get old folks in and gambling, period.
      You really think there is no correlation between the incidents that occurred and their decisions........


      Just like I'm sure there is no correlation between the actions of people and the fact that the city counsel and police do not want H2Oi in OC MD at all......



      YEAH OHHHH K


      Do you honestly think the revenue from the casino on H2oi weekend is going to be substantial enough for them to turn away a sure thing....

      I know for a fact they're business is down that week whether H2oi is held at the track or not.

      I'd be willing to put money on that seacrets pulls in more money on Friday or Sat night than their casino does all month.
      Last edited by Bsaint; 10-03-2012 at 07:18 PM.
      || Facebook | Youtube | Website | Flickr || @BsaintMedia Instagram.

    2. Member 71camaro's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 20th, 2009
      Location
      Cambridge, MD/Penn State
      Posts
      5,250
      Vehicles
      MK4 GTI VR6(rip)/ Gen2 Camaro Z28/ MK2 Jetta(rip)/S2 Scirocco 16v/S2 Scirocco/D2 S8/ '95 GMC
      10-03-2012 07:49 PM #177
      Quote Originally Posted by Bsaint View Post
      You really think there is no correlation between the incidents that occurred and their decisions........


      Just like I'm sure there is no correlation between the actions of people and the fact that the city counsel and police do not want H2Oi in OC MD at all......



      YEAH OHHHH K


      Do you honestly think the revenue from the casino on H2oi weekend is going to be substantial enough for them to turn away a sure thing....

      I know for a fact they're business is down that week whether H2oi is held at the track or not.

      I'd be willing to put money on that seacrets pulls in more money on Friday or Sat night than their casino does all month.
      Trust me, I went there, tried to discuss it with them. They don't want underage people trying to get in, they don't want us blocking their target clientele, they don't want us causing traffic issues.

      Part of the issue is state regulators, not actual management. Same with the OC airport. OC airport (and the town) actually would like to have our money, but because of state and federal rules we aren't welcome.

    3. Member AbtCorrado's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 16th, 2008
      Location
      the sun and moon
      Posts
      2,396
      Vehicles
      many matchboxes
      10-03-2012 07:56 PM #178
      All this stuff just rips me apart. Im just going to say im sorry. I wish i had done more this year to help out but there were other factors that stopped me from doing it like i have in years past. Im just going to say im sorry for letting some of you down. I take some respondsibilty for my actions and do apoligize for not stepping up. I just cant keep doing it. Feel free to pm.

      Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
      The Maker of the Vag Fair. www.vagfair.com

    4. Member 71camaro's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 20th, 2009
      Location
      Cambridge, MD/Penn State
      Posts
      5,250
      Vehicles
      MK4 GTI VR6(rip)/ Gen2 Camaro Z28/ MK2 Jetta(rip)/S2 Scirocco 16v/S2 Scirocco/D2 S8/ '95 GMC
      10-03-2012 08:05 PM #179
      Cory, whenever I get a chance to get in my pc and not mobile I'll message you back. Long story short, there's stuff the organizers can do to improve things, but we as a community have to be willing to do our part, it isn't just Jay's event, we all own it. Jay makes the money and is in charge, but we have to help make it work so we have OUR weekend in OC each year.

      Cory, I dunno how you do it, you have a business, VAG Fair, a personal life, and you're still able to be a key part of H2Oi. Takes a lot. To see how the other thread deteriorated makes me sick, embarrasses me to be part of this community. Rather than everyone pointing fingers, it should've been productive, and I hope this thread is.

      I will say this: a friend of mine and myself have been talking about setting a club up for a while, local VW and Euro folks. We're doing it. Part of what we'll be doing is going around Sunday evening next year picking up the parking lots. If it's impossible to get everyone to clean up after themselves, at least we can organize some people to do it for them and not leave OC in waste. We're also going to organize either a rally to the show or a meet and have it take donations or sell things for charity. The locals see the bad of the event, and it's time to do some good and open their eyes to that.

    5. Member vdubracer83's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 22nd, 2002
      Posts
      1,074
      Vehicles
      98 Jetta Stage 3 VRT, 350K+miles 95 Passat, 99 Golf Wolfsburg, 93 Corrado SLC, 82 Diesel Jetta
      10-03-2012 08:12 PM #180
      i actually like the venue over last years mud pit. The biggest problem I have is the fact that japanese cars should not be allowed to enter the show area taking up space from other VW/AUDI owners that want to show off their cars at a VW/AUDI SHOW!! Don't get me wrong I saw some pretty awesome Japtraps but they should be only allowed to park in spectators parking, this show isn't NOPI or HIN.

    6. Member vr6swap's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 16th, 2001
      Posts
      6,184
      Vehicles
      Mk2 Sheepmobile w/ a 3.2 24V poser swap
      10-03-2012 10:41 PM #181
      Quote Originally Posted by AbtCorrado View Post
      All this stuff just rips me apart. Im just going to say im sorry. I wish i had done more this year to help out but there were other factors that stopped me from doing it like i have in years past. Im just going to say im sorry for letting some of you down. I take some respondsibilty for my actions and do apoligize for not stepping up. I just cant keep doing it. Feel free to pm.
      Seriously? After you posted pics of a twenty you wiped your ass with, and were going to send it to the kid who wanted his money back.

      Have you had your Lithium level checked lately?
      Quote Originally Posted by 1.9..16vTurbo View Post
      you should stick to that car your trying to paint

    7. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 1st, 2012
      Location
      Herndon, VA
      Posts
      36
      Vehicles
      '08 United Grey GTI
      10-03-2012 10:58 PM #182
      Quote Originally Posted by 71camaro View Post
      I will say this: a friend of mine and myself have been talking about setting a club up for a while, local VW and Euro folks. We're doing it. Part of what we'll be doing is going around Sunday evening next year picking up the parking lots. If it's impossible to get everyone to clean up after themselves, at least we can organize some people to do it for them and not leave OC in waste. We're also going to organize either a rally to the show or a meet and have it take donations or sell things for charity. The locals see the bad of the event, and it's time to do some good and open their eyes to that.
      I would sign up for that, just so the locals can see we are listening to them and we want to stay in OC.

    8. Banned seadoo2006's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 4th, 2008
      Location
      Mayfield Heights, OH
      Posts
      4,871
      Vehicles
      04 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      10-04-2012 12:33 AM #183
      Quote Originally Posted by vdubracer83 View Post
      i actually like the venue over last years mud pit. The biggest problem I have is the fact that japanese cars should not be allowed to enter the show area taking up space from other VW/AUDI owners that want to show off their cars at a VW/AUDI SHOW!! Don't get me wrong I saw some pretty awesome Japtraps but they should be only allowed to park in spectators parking, this show isn't NOPI or HIN.
      Then abolish club parking ... the only non-VAG cars that were on the showgrounds were in Club Parking. They paid more than you general admission plebians, so deal with it by either ponying up some more money and showing your car, or parking as a club.

      Seriously, this argument makes no sense. Club parking is open to anyone that wants to pay extra to park on show grounds and pre-register.

    9. 10-04-2012 12:47 AM #184
      First off let me say hello, and I know I am new around here and my B5.5 wagon is not dropped, nor do I have insane wheels on it. But damn I love this car. It's my 2nd VW and I am in love with them . I have always had a love affair with VW's. This was my second H2Oi, I drove down from northeastern Massachusetts. The first one was 4 years ago. I remember ocean downs, was a good venue. but things happen. If they are not willing to participate with the organizers, then its a dead idea .

      I was here this year. Brought my car, wife and 7 month old baby. We enjoyed the night life, cruising the strip and seeing all the cars. Vdub and others. I had my stock car out there with the rest of them., with a huge smile on my face.

      Saturday , we drove up ,the staff kind of pointed me in a direction to go park. I landed along the back of the camping area and had no complaints parking. Checked out all the variety of cars in the lots. Thought the vendor's area was a little cramped , but I had no issue navigating the area. The food was in a perfect spot right by the live music..

      Sunday, I was one of the crazies that parked. A mile and a half down the road and walked to the gate. Paid my fee and went in. Again I walked around the parking areas loving the cars. The show / club area was confusing. And the loading of the show cars and GA parking in the same gate confused most. I did see staff at the second gate just standing there due too no cars going down to them. Top dawg was on a good spot. Besides the walk. Which was not that bad, my wife and myself take the baby on 4 mile hikes often. We had a blast. We are looking forward to being there again next year.

      If you are able to use the same venue next year, keep the food where it was. The toilets were perfectly placed. Move the top dawg closer to the stage. Vendors could be moved to wrap around the top dawg show area. The exhibition/show area behind the stage area ( VW/audi only cars ), separated by class( mk1,mk2,mk3, ect,ect,) behind that area. In the fields, club parking. Top dawg , show cars , and. Club cars front gate entrance. Registered in advance( gate people have the list ). These cars have to be in before say 1 o'clock. Can't leave until 4:30. GA parking starts at the second gate. After 1 the main gate opens for GA parking and the road to the show area a blocked off for pedestrians. GA parking leaves through the second gate only.

      If extra volunteers are needed, post a link. I would certainly enjoy helping out. Help with parking, clean up, whatever is needed.

      As cor the A$$clowns in town. There is not much you can do about that. Bike weeks, music festivals, even just concerts have the crews of meatsticks that go just to wreck stuff. Been that way for years and years. Only the very sheltered are not exposed to it. But the guys setting up the GTGs should have a group inside the gtg willing to hang and pick up after themselves. But if the organizers want to have a gtg for the purpose of cleaning up again, post up ahead of time for volunteers. As for the burnout pits, those might need to be shut down.

      Overall thank you to the organizers for outing on such an event, and for as long as it runs I will be attending every year.

    10. Member AbtCorrado's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 16th, 2008
      Location
      the sun and moon
      Posts
      2,396
      Vehicles
      many matchboxes
      10-04-2012 11:24 AM #185
      Quote Originally Posted by vr6swap View Post
      Seriously? After you posted pics of a twenty you wiped your ass with, and were going to send it to the kid who wanted his money back.

      Have you had your Lithium level checked lately?
      The internet is mis interpreting things. That was first off a picture off the internet. second don't call me a moron. I'm far from that. A ******* yes. Moron I'm not. I would give you the shirt off my back. As for the guy attacking me in IM's and everywhere else. He was wrong. I'll list the reason below for you.

      1.)show cars should be in place no later then 11:00am

      2.) He was rolling in at 11:30 with top dawg

      3.)Paypal states on his receipt that there are no refunds.

      4.)Jay nor I did not shut the gates off. That was the MSP and they will be hearing about this.

      5.)the gates were re opened and he could have returned.

      6.)calling me names will get you no where quick. I have respect for those who have respect for me.

      7.)I do this show for FREE!!!!!!I donate my time for FREE!!! Why do i need to be disrespected. Even if I was paid I still don't deserve it because someone thinks they are entitled to whatever their heart desires.

      8.)I tell it like it is. You can't handle it check your feelings at the door.

      9.) Do you think I need to hear about his short comings over and over with out a resolution besides his lack of responsibility to getting to the show in a reasonable manner. No I get excuses that can't be back up with factual information.

      10.)He never gave me his address

    11. Banned seadoo2006's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 4th, 2008
      Location
      Mayfield Heights, OH
      Posts
      4,871
      Vehicles
      04 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      10-04-2012 11:36 AM #186
      Quote Originally Posted by AbtCorrado View Post
      The internet is mis interpreting things. That was first off a picture off the internet. second don't call me a moron. I'm far from that. A ******* yes. Moron I'm not. I would give you the shirt off my back. As for the guy attacking me in IM's and everywhere else. He was wrong. I'll list the reason below for you.

      1.)show cars should be in place no later then 11:00am

      2.) He was rolling in at 11:30 with top dawg

      3.)Paypal states on his receipt that there are no refunds.

      4.)Jay nor I did not shut the gates off. That was the MSP and they will be hearing about this.

      5.)the gates were re opened and he could have returned.

      6.)calling me names will get you no where quick. I have respect for those who have respect for me.

      7.)I do this show for FREE!!!!!!I donate my time for FREE!!! Why do i need to be disrespected. Even if I was paid I still don't deserve it because someone thinks they are entitled to whatever their heart desires.

      8.)I tell it like it is. You can't handle it check your feelings at the door.

      9.) Do you think I need to hear about his short comings over and over with out a resolution besides his lack of responsibility to getting to the show in a reasonable manner. No I get excuses that can't be back up with factual information.

      10.)He never gave me his address

    12. Member
      Join Date
      Jun 21st, 2009
      Location
      610
      Posts
      154
      Vehicles
      '92 SLC
      10-04-2012 04:03 PM #187
      "NOTE ABOUT CONDUCT
      Garden State Euros (GSE) does not tolerate any misuse of vehicles including burnouts, engine revving, loud sound systems, speeding, racing, immature driving or unsafe practices. Local Tannersville police will be on site and we will report or remove any unwanted attendees. Our club also tracks offenders and provide the information to the local police and list them on an -“Official Tri-State Meet, Club, Event BLACKBALL List”- thread. Attendees are not to take these precautions as a threat but rather a realization that Garden State Euros (GSE) will protect their club and events at any cost for the true European car enthusiasts and community. Their events and meets are simple; arrive, park, turn off the car and hang out with other enthusiasts. With the anticipated turnout, Garden State Euros (GSE) wants everyone to know that this is a family oriented club with parents and children attending and strict conduct rules will be enforced. We also reserve the right to refuse admission for attendees to Barley Creek Brewery and will notify the local police of offenders from last year’s event."



      Saw this posted on the 2nd Annual DubRun to the Poconos maybe this would help

    13. Banner Advertiser nate@NGP's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 6th, 2005
      Location
      Two shop locations: Aberdeen. MD and Lorton, VA
      Posts
      10,172
      10-04-2012 04:11 PM #188
      Quote Originally Posted by engineman98 View Post


      I was dissapointed that there wasn't much of a used parts swap meet. The vendor layout was poorly layer out also. But how much of that was from the crappy wet ground or just the vendors setting up wherever they wanted to?
      My apologies if this has been answered, but it was half and half. There were lines laid out for rows, but the scale was a bit off, so things started off tighter than they should have been. The primary issue was the rain and soft ground. I know the Air Lift guys got stuck trying to get their trailer into place on Friday, so from there on out it was a case of trying to get everything in where it was supposed to be, but the mud-bog pretty much prevented that.
      NGP Racing * Facebook * AIM: nateNGP
      APR North American Distributor of the year *2005*2006*2007*2009*2010*
      Sales Specials
      2010 U.S. Rallycross 2wd Class Champions w/ Quantum Rally Sport

    14. Member DubStat's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 23rd, 2009
      Location
      NOVA
      Posts
      579
      Vehicles
      2006 VW Jetta
      10-04-2012 07:56 PM #189
      just super bummed i wasn't allowed into the show after waiting for awhile in traffic. And was asked for a bribe to get in. Then with no where to turn off and hopefully park legally anywhere in site. Ill gladly sit in traffic, as long as I'm allowed in. I love the strip but go for the show for inspiration. That just really bummed me out , but Thank you. to all the organizers efforts regardless.
      Shot Callers

      @GordonWhy

    15. 10-04-2012 09:05 PM #190
      To anyone that was turned away, if you went down the road turned around and came back. They were letting people in. I was " turned away ". But when I parked on the side of the road and walked back they were letting people in again.

    16. Member BiH's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 27th, 2000
      Location
      Fairfax, VA
      Posts
      14,137
      Vehicles
      1990 JETTA VR6, 2003 JETTA 1.8T, 2010 TOUAREG TDI
      10-04-2012 11:59 PM #191
      if you showed up early there would be no problems comming in, later on traffic got bad and they closed turnarounds.
      I do work on cars, anything short of engine and transmission rebuilding can be done. welding, custom and aftermarket as well as regular repairs. IM me for details, shop is in WOodbridge.

    17. Member .Mad Hatter.'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 18th, 2007
      Location
      Toronto
      Posts
      12,633
      Vehicles
      B5 A4, MK6 Jetta
      10-05-2012 12:33 AM #192
      Quote Originally Posted by seadoo2006 View Post
      Then abolish club parking ... the only non-VAG cars that were on the showgrounds were in Club Parking. They paid more than you general admission plebians, so deal with it by either ponying up some more money and showing your car, or parking as a club.

      Seriously, this argument makes no sense. Club parking is open to anyone that wants to pay extra to park on show grounds and pre-register.
      Un-true. Maybe this was supposed to happen, but this isn't what happened. Don't get me wrong; I couldn't care less who parks inside (I go to OC for the outcasts as much as the VAG stuff), but the statement above is inaccurate.
      Quote Originally Posted by futur View Post
      who is fastest? if you guys didn't find out, what were you doing instead? patching floors? #mk3 #lulz # POR15 #umadbro #supercharger #thatsalottospendforjust8psi #justthetip #justkidding #noimnot
      podi.ca
      Scraped.Crusaders. l the.final.offset l flickr

    18. Member trixx's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 23rd, 2002
      Location
      Toronto ON
      Posts
      9,839
      Vehicles
      8NTTQC + MK3GTIVR6
      10-05-2012 01:47 AM #193
      please bring back organized class and club parking!

      I've volunteered to judge several years back when the show was at ocean downs and the show car, club parking was properly organized, and I loved it

      there are so many benefits to it.
      same model/gen/class parked in a group/row.
      - more consistent judging
      - you meet the people and share ideas with the same/similar cars
      -less wasted space on the grounds
      -it will look like a real car show again

      many h2oi veterans agree including those that consistently volunteer to judge

      Make pre registration mandatory.
      you know exactly how cars of each gen model and class are going to show. make a map and stick to it.

      heck... I'll be first to volunteer to be there at 5am to setup the markers Sunday morning

    19. Banned seadoo2006's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 4th, 2008
      Location
      Mayfield Heights, OH
      Posts
      4,871
      Vehicles
      04 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      10-05-2012 09:01 AM #194
      Quote Originally Posted by .Mad Hatter. View Post
      Un-true. Maybe this was supposed to happen, but this isn't what happened. Don't get me wrong; I couldn't care less who parks inside (I go to OC for the outcasts as much as the VAG stuff), but the statement above is inaccurate.
      Was it your first year at H2Oi? Because otherwise you'd know that club parking is "show" parking but for people who aren't "showing" their cars. Please describe to me what else you were seeing. Were non-VAG cars being judged for prizes that didn't exist?

      Sir, you are mistaken. Non-VAG cars on the campgrounds that were parked with show cars were part of "club parking". They pre-register, pay extra, and have to buy their tickets all at one time. I'd say if you can't or don't want to pony up for show parking or club parking (in which case you should be at the show as early as possible instead of right at 11am), then you have to deal with the face you may get bumped.

      Sunday Only. Cars will be parked in the showfield, separate from the judged event. All cars must be in place by 11:00AM. NO EXCEPTIONS!!! Once cars are in place you will not be permitted to leave unless an emergency. You will not be allowed back in once you leave.

      Dash receipts will be produced with your club name on it - you pick who parks with your club. All orders must be submitted at one time. *Note - Your car will NOT be judged. Packets picked up at WILL CALL.

      $30 per car - includes admission for car & driver - Sunday ONLY

      REGISTER NOW!!!!
      However, like last year at the Catholic School, club parking and show cars were intermixed because show staff don't actually take the time to separate everyone out.

      In any case, this is all bull crap anyways because MSP was the ones turning people away because there was a 5 car pileup in the line going to the show. The camp grounds had enough room for everyone - non-VAG and VAG alike.
      Last edited by seadoo2006; 10-05-2012 at 09:03 AM.

    20. Member briggs rabbit's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 19th, 2009
      Location
      Mtn. Green. Utah
      Posts
      859
      Vehicles
      mk2 smoker swapped and dropped Eurovan
      10-05-2012 09:19 AM #195
      And i shall reply grow the f** up . clean you plate after dinner.(dispose of your trash) ,brush your teeth go to be (Make sure your area is clean before you leave). Thats how my 1 yr 5 yr and 7yr old are raised....like kids. But they have common sense of responsibility. The 45th st. lot was trashed and Ft. whaley looked like times square after new years eve Common man Honestly evaluate situation and arrive at a timely fasion ?.?. wipe your cryin a$$es man up let it go and be possitive you can make a change next year......................dont be an ASSHAT
      Custom Paint Werks... pm me for paint and body work15 years experience.

    21. 10-05-2012 09:48 PM #196
      I would just like to start off by saying, H2O is and will always be my favorite show. I count down the days every year because I love volkswagen's and audi's so much (plus it is my birthday weekend ) I have read tons of posts about non vag cars and this and that but I literally just think it was confusing as to which section was for what this year. I registered so I thought that meant that I would be surrounded by registered cars but I was just instructed to just "park in the trees somewhere." There were a few registered cars around me but there were more that weren't. When I started to walk around I overheard one of the judges say "I'm not really sure what to do here." I am not gonna sit and be an *** and say the show was horrible or I'm mad about the non vag cars (cuz I'm not) I just think there was a lot of confusion. Overall I enjoyed the show and had a great time meeting new people and watch everyone salute my car as they walked by (it says Adolf btw ) anyways I can't wait for next year! And if anyone remembers meeting me, it was super nice to meet all of you!

    22. Member .Mad Hatter.'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 18th, 2007
      Location
      Toronto
      Posts
      12,633
      Vehicles
      B5 A4, MK6 Jetta
      10-06-2012 07:47 AM #197
      Quote Originally Posted by seadoo2006 View Post
      Was it your first year at H2Oi? Because otherwise you'd know that club parking is "show" parking but for people who aren't "showing" their cars. Please describe to me what else you were seeing. Were non-VAG cars being judged for prizes that didn't exist?
      No, not my first year. No, not club cars. News flash; cars from the parking lot move into the show area once people start to leave, which is all I said.
      Quote Originally Posted by futur View Post
      who is fastest? if you guys didn't find out, what were you doing instead? patching floors? #mk3 #lulz # POR15 #umadbro #supercharger #thatsalottospendforjust8psi #justthetip #justkidding #noimnot
      podi.ca
      Scraped.Crusaders. l the.final.offset l flickr

    23. Member vr6swap's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 16th, 2001
      Posts
      6,184
      Vehicles
      Mk2 Sheepmobile w/ a 3.2 24V poser swap
      10-08-2012 08:45 AM #198
      Back on topic:

      In all honesty, it looks like the one thing Shoup needs to do is play ball with the OCMD city (or county) government and negotiate some kind of payoff to make them more tolerant of the show, the traffic problems and the shenanigans.

      Because it looks like addressing that one big problem would make most, if not all, of the other problems go away. Or at least minimize them.
      Last edited by vr6swap; 10-08-2012 at 08:52 AM.
      Quote Originally Posted by 1.9..16vTurbo View Post
      you should stick to that car your trying to paint

    24. Senior Member 87vr6's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 17th, 2002
      Location
      West coast, of Okinawa (^^)
      Posts
      24,917
      Vehicles
      AWD BT 20TH and EVO VII RS
      10-08-2012 08:49 AM #199
      No one ever answered/responded to the question or statement about the inlet lot...

      Yes, I get it, Jay doesn't stroke the city council c*cks, so they don't like us like they do the hot rods, etc...

      But why not look into getting the inlet lot for us. For show cars and vendors only. I can't emphasize that part enough. What is wrong with that idea? People getting butt hurt because they can't park their junker MK2 on the show grounds? THe big shows in Europe and England are like this.

      Everyone always states that the reason they go to H2O, or more specifically OC is because they like all the GTG's. SO everyone will/can still have them for their non-showy vehicles, JDM crap, american crap, euro crap, whatever, but having a dedicated area, in town, reachable by public trans, walking, etc, for just the show cars and vendors would be the way forward.

      Convention center (convention; a large formal assembly of a group with common interests) would also be cool, IF:

      Top Dawg and larger vendors inside
      Top three finishers from SoWo/VagFair/Waterfest (preregistered of course) also inside
      Everyone else (show cars only though) in the parking lot.
      THis is a central location, easily accessible through many means, and the same stuff about GTG's, etc.. still applies from above.

      I know my opinion doesn't matter much, and many of the things other people said still ring true about my opinions, but I think I'm going to skip H2O in favor of SoWo next year. Part of it is because I now live in Japan, but I also have the means to make both if I want, but this, in it's current state seems more like about making money than it does pleasing the customers, US, the show goers, the people that make any of this possible.

      This needs to be better organized. We/I understand Jay does this largely on his own... Maybe it's time to change that. You can't fix problems if you don't identify them.

      The arguement that blah blah blah, you should wake up at 7am to get to show is BS. I should be able to arrive at any time during the open hours and be able to make it inside (parked/walking) within a reasonable timeframe, say 20 mins or so. Some of like to have responsible fun. But I don't wake up at 7am on vacation, just like I'm sure many others don't want to either.

      Yes, this doesn't apply if you're a show car, which there are clear rules establishing when you need to be in place by, etc...

      I'll add more to this once people read it and start tearing it apart for my grievious errors.

    25. Member dubidoobs's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 7th, 2003
      Location
      On Top of West Durty Jurzy
      Posts
      1,929
      Vehicles
      MKII Alpine White GTi 2.1 16V (in the works) | "MKVI" PGM 2.0L CR TDi Wagon
      10-11-2012 11:28 AM #200
      Apologies if this was already brought up in one of the 6+ pages of this thread, but didn't feel like trolling through all...

      Show Classes - either http://h2oi.com has not been 100% updated since 2010, or it wasn't clear to me in the drop-down menu:

      I wanted to enter the TDi class, but it only listed a 1.9 TDi class, and I didn't see a 2.0 CR TDi class listed. I understand there may not have been alot of 2.0 CR TDi's, but maybe reconfigure like dubs on the Delaware had - 1 TDi class.

      Shoot me if I'm nit picking about an issue so few have...


      Quote Originally Posted by 71camaro View Post
      I see a lot of complaints so far this year, about venue, organization, etc., but few ideas on how to improve things moving forward. It would seem Ocean Downs is over as a venue for the event, so let's forget that. The school was meh, and we probably won't be back there. This place (Fort Whaley) had/has potential, but the traffic issue may kill it. So what are our alternatives?

      I doubt inlet is viable, not large enough. And this time of year it's in use for some event nearly every week.

      Convention Center certainly isn't big enough.

      Jay has discussed buying property, but having 50+ acres for one weekend a year is expensive and probably not viable unless he can develop it to be multi-use, and even then traffic may be an issue. And finding that much land that's open and zoned for this sort of thing in Worcester County may be a near impossibility.

      So, good people of Vortex, what suggestions have you? Would Salisbury be too far away? Ballfield/Winterplace park are big enough but 30 minutes out.

      Getting Town of Ocean City on board would be huge, but Mayor Meehan and his staff and the council don't really like us, so that would be difficult at best.

      Honestly, I'm at a loss. I know from talking to Shoup that he does truly care about H2Oi, but it's got to be a real headache at this point for him. I'm not sure what we can do as a community to help with the actual logistics of location and staff, but a huge help would be ending the stupid crap (theft, destruction of property, screaming and yelling and asshattery). I know we'd be in a lot better spot with local authorities if this sort of behavior hadn't become so prominent.

      Anyone have any realistic comments/suggestions? I know Cory/Jay will see this, so perhaps some good will come of the discussion. I just hate to see all this negative without some input into fixing it.
      a bad day in a Volkswagen, is better than a good day in a Honda...

      MKII Alpine White GTi 2.0/1 16V (in the works)
      MKVI PGM 2.0L 6MT TDi Wagon (daily driver)

      SLAM-N-EURO'Z

    26. Member koidragon1980's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 8th, 2011
      Location
      Astoria, NY
      Posts
      648
      Vehicles
      2001.5 VW Passat V6 FWD (RIP), 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T 6spd manual
      10-11-2012 12:24 PM #201
      I didn't read through this entire thread, so maybe someone has mentioned this, but I think the decision for dates needs to be looked at and compared to when the races at Dover Downs occur. Having the event on the same weekend as the races makes for added congestion in traffic for any of us that travel through or around the Dover area. Plus, some of the stupid race fans that cause trouble around town get lumped into our crowd. It's hard for locals to know if it's a drunken race fan or a drunken h20i fan causing a ruckus, and in the end h20i will get the blame and the boot because the local authorities and government gives NASCAR a free pass to wreck the joint due to the amount of money it floods into the local economy.
      God bless the homicidal maniacs... they make life worthwhile. - George Carlin

    27. Senior Member Jman5000's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 8th, 1999
      Location
      Columbus Ohio
      Posts
      30,794
      Vehicles
      1988 Audi 90 Quattro (out to pasture), 1992 GTI 16V, 2010 Audi TT S-Line
      10-12-2012 10:55 AM #202
      Quote Originally Posted by koidragon1980 View Post
      I didn't read through this entire thread, so maybe someone has mentioned this, but I think the decision for dates needs to be looked at and compared to when the races at Dover Downs occur.
      The event date is "tradition" anymore. Changing it will unleash 100x the griping that not changing would.

      Quote Originally Posted by koidragon1980 View Post
      Having the event on the same weekend as the races makes for added congestion in traffic for any of us that travel through or around the Dover area.
      One could argue: Plan ahead, go around, take the long way, etc. Many of us from the Midwest log a ton of seat time to make it.

      Quote Originally Posted by koidragon1980 View Post
      Plus, some of the stupid race fans that cause trouble around town get lumped into our crowd. It's hard for locals to know if it's a drunken race fan or a drunken h20i fan causing a ruckus,
      Being a drunken public troublemaker is a universally bad idea.

      Quote Originally Posted by koidragon1980 View Post
      and in the end h20i will get the blame and the boot because the local authorities and government gives NASCAR a free pass to wreck the joint due to the amount of money it floods into the local economy.
      Then take the high road. No matter the shenanigans H2O'ers should try to "keep it off the streets" and showgoer-to-LEO interaction will drop.

    28. Member eurovw95's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2006
      Location
      Western PA
      Posts
      12,943
      Vehicles
      Silverado, Jetta & HD Softail
      10-12-2012 01:11 PM #203
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9WOj...eature=related

      Pretty much sums up the difference in our weekend down there minus the city's blessing, and a weekend put together by the city..

      granted.. most of these burnouts are from rear wheel drive vehicles
      Crooked Euros- My couch pulls out, but I don't

    29. Member lowazzgolf's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 18th, 2001
      Location
      mississauga, canada
      Posts
      8,266
      Vehicles
      98 TDi
      07-16-2013 01:02 PM #204
      After all the things discussed in this thread and with about 2 months left to go before H2Oi 2013 I see a repeat if not a worse experience than last year for a couple reasons.

      1. The venue appears to be the same awful location it was last year according to the website.

      2. The same venue that had lines over 3 miles long on the highway, some people waiting over an hour!

      3. The same venue that had police telling people that the venue was full after waiting hours in line and to turn around. What have you, the organizers, done to prevent this catastrophe from repeating itself?

      4. The venue that was so terrible it could not accommodate all the participants with parking that forced people to park on the shoulder on the highway!

      5. This seems to be so ill organized they haven't even changed the name of this forum yet with so little time left

      What have you done to prevent these things from happening again?
      WANTED: Salty D, Fast Bumpers, abt cup, Luckyzeee, Dub Oddity, CHUBBY ASIAN, III, Lobstrosity, Dark Demon 8v, RG3, LostBoyScout, JPawn1, Thatcher, Mr.Bungle, EuroVR6Mk3, dubtometry, Blown Wide Open, Bluers
      @markjharvey

    30. Banned seadoo2006's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 4th, 2008
      Location
      Mayfield Heights, OH
      Posts
      4,871
      Vehicles
      04 Audi S4 Avant 6MT
      07-16-2013 01:37 PM #205
      Quote Originally Posted by lowazzgolf View Post
      After all the things discussed in this thread and with about 2 months left to go before H2Oi 2013 I see a repeat if not a worse experience than last year for a couple reasons.

      1. The venue appears to be the same awful location it was last year according to the website.

      2. The same venue that had lines over 3 miles long on the highway, some people waiting over an hour!

      3. The same venue that had police telling people that the venue was full after waiting hours in line and to turn around. What have you, the organizers, done to prevent this catastrophe from repeating itself?

      4. The venue that was so terrible it could not accommodate all the participants with parking that forced people to park on the shoulder on the highway!

      5. This seems to be so ill organized they haven't even changed the name of this forum yet with so little time left

      What have you done to prevent these things from happening again?
      They've done nothing ... it's the H2O way! Seriously, for an event that always waits like 60 days before the event to announce the show dates, you expect any difference.

      This is why the majority of us don't even go to the show. This is why a growing number of us bring non-VAG cars. This is why this show is doomed and why OCMD will always and forever hate us.

      Peace.


    31. Member MKIIIjettadude's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 26th, 2009
      Location
      LANCASTER, PA
      Posts
      683
      Vehicles
      2008 CW R32 & 2000 Grand am
      07-16-2013 04:56 PM #206
      Jay did hire traffic control this year to make sure it goes smoother. And also switching venues is not an easy thing especially with it being as big of a show as it is. Try changing venues with a show the size of h2o. There arnt many choices in that area for a show. It takes a few years for a show to run smooth and to figure out all the kinks


      Quote Originally Posted by lowazzgolf View Post
      After all the things discussed in this thread and with about 2 months left to go before H2Oi 2013 I see a repeat if not a worse experience than last year for a couple reasons.

      1. The venue appears to be the same awful location it was last year according to the website.

      2. The same venue that had lines over 3 miles long on the highway, some people waiting over an hour!

      3. The same venue that had police telling people that the venue was full after waiting hours in line and to turn around. What have you, the organizers, done to prevent this catastrophe from repeating itself?

      4. The venue that was so terrible it could not accommodate all the participants with parking that forced people to park on the shoulder on the highway!

      5. This seems to be so ill organized they haven't even changed the name of this forum yet with so little time left

      What have you done to prevent these things from happening again?

    32. Member glivdub03's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 17th, 2007
      Location
      NNJ
      Posts
      1,091
      Vehicles
      03 Jetta gli 24v sold, 90 Jetta coupe sold, 86 jetta coupe stage 4 g60 sold, Mk2 Jetta VRT sold
      07-19-2013 02:41 PM #207
      Why cant jay make this a registered event with Ocean city?

    33. Member AlexmkVI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 14th, 2010
      Location
      Sellersville, PA
      Posts
      655
      Vehicles
      94 Passat GLX (RIP), Bagged 2010 GTI, 2010 Tiguan Wolfsburg
      07-19-2013 03:54 PM #208
      I honestly don't care if I don't make the show.

      The weekend is an experience all on its own.

      But I would like to make the show... I just won't feel cheated if I don't.
      IG: alexm_vw
      FB: alex1281

    34. Member UnD3adDragon's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 13th, 2010
      Location
      Charlotte, North Carolina
      Posts
      121
      Vehicles
      white 1992 aba turbo Corrado, red 1990 eaton supercharged corrado g60 , 2003 20th Anniversary gti
      07-24-2013 05:33 PM #209
      so after reading this forum year after year i finally need to put my 2 cents in,

      i have been going to this event since 2006 and just got out of high school. lived in salisbury MD while going to school. i remember and even have video tapes from years past of stupid things i laughed at and cheered them on. this has been going on for a long time i think somewhere on youtube there is even a slammed civic with a stuffed bunny tied to the back bumper ( being draged in a nuse) while trying to race everyone all day long. the event grows every year and there is just more stuff going on as it grows.

      As far as going back to the race track it will never happen because what we all forget is it was for there benefit. if you kick everyone of the regulars out just for one weekend the regulars get mad and the racetrack loses money not just on that weekend but the whole year. if you piss off enough regulars you have no buseness anymore period, regulars make your life money. and we do not bring enough money to piss regulars off for the whole year.

      and as far as what we get away with on the strip, its a whole lot. growing up in salisbury i have cop buddies that hang out with me on h2oi weekend that work for bethesda police department. and i want to punch them in the face by weekends end from them telling me what they would pull people over for every day all day long. one even had to work on sunday so for fun i followed him around revving at him all day long and can honestly tell you he pulled very little people over all day.

      and my last thing to say is jay and them do a very good job with what they are handed by people that do not want to step up and clean or help in any way. yes he is slac with stuff going on right now but thats cause it takes alot to plan when the city takes a long time to get back to responding to you. mostly cause they are hoping you go away. now i laugh and drink just like everyone eles but just because your somewhere besides your locally bar does not mean you can be a bigger asshat than normal. 71camaro if you want my help pick stuff up on the weekend i will be driving around anyway and would love to help your group cause it sounds awesome

    Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •