Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: VW Void Warranty if Tuned ECU

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2007 Passat WGN DUB
      09-30-2012 11:38 PM #1
      Ok they recently inputed this program into their computers stating that any tuned car with a tuned ecu with uni, apr or any other company is now voided warranty on any powertrain product. So does anybody know how to get rid of the tune or reflash the ecu without vw seeing? Because the only problem even if my vw tech wanted to reflash it, it scans the system then stating that it had a tune and now is flagged as 'tuned vehicle' and that blows.
      2007 VW Passat WGN riding on 20" - Unitronic Stage 1 - Votex Body Kit

Vehicles
      Mine: 2010 Passat Hers: 2012 B8 A4
      10-01-2012 02:04 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by DRHMDENT View Post
      Ok they recently inputed this program into their computers stating that any tuned car with a tuned ecu with uni, apr or any other company is now voided warranty on any powertrain product. So does anybody know how to get rid of the tune or reflash the ecu without vw seeing? Because the only problem even if my vw tech wanted to reflash it, it scans the system then stating that it had a tune and now is flagged as 'tuned vehicle' and that blows.
      find a mod friendly dealer and you dont have to worry about it
      Unitronic > APR Switched from APR to UNI and never looking back
      CW '10 Passat 2.0TSI: UNI Stage 2 VMR V705 19x8.5 et45 Podi Boost gauge/pod AWE DV, Turbo Outlet Pipe BSH Boost Tap BillyBoat 3" TBE BFI Stg2 Dogbone/motor mount/trans. mount KW V2 coils Forge Twintake(1st on Passat/CC) JBL W12GTi MKII HEX+CAN vagcom, Podi.ca podi free ship code: NINOSHIP, VMR | Wheels velocitymotoring.com, VolksBHAN in September

Vehicles
      B6 Passat 2.0 Turbo
      10-01-2012 12:00 PM #3
      I know apr you can hit some buttons in sequence to return your car back to stock an Revo has a device that you plug into your port and it turns your car back to stock
      ???

4. Member
      Vehicles
      '07 Passat 3.6 4mo wagon; '05 GLS 4mo wagon
      10-01-2012 01:09 PM #4
      How much time do you have left on your warranty? If it were me, I wouldn't bother with trying to reflash. I'd call the dealer and ask them what would happen if I needed warranty work and showed up with a flashed car.

Also, VW can't outright void the entire warranty based on a flash. They have to show the tune was the cause of the issue. For example, if you need a wire harness replaced or an airbag sensor they'd be hard pressed to make the connection with the tune. That being said, I suppose they could make it a royal pita.

Vehicles
      2007 Sport 2, 6 speed
      10-02-2012 07:18 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Weelildubb2.0t View Post
      I know apr you can hit some buttons in sequence to return your car back to stock an Revo has a device that you plug into your port and it turns your car back to stock
      More than likely they are reading the flash counter, a register that keeps count of how many times the ECU flash memory has been reloaded.

They would have dealership records of how many legitimate reflashes occured so if there has been 1 VW released SW update and your flashcounter shows 2 updates there is reason to beleve you have a tune. This may or may not be the mechanisum used (Im just speculating).

Obviously not a great development for us the end user but most dealerships want the warranty work, I suspect some dealerships will police this a lot harder than others

My guess is this is one way of getting out of the expensive fuel pump/cam repairs they are on the hook for.
      2007 2.0T Sport 2, 6 speed, Dynaudio, Koni FSD

Vehicles
      10-02-2012 09:37 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Weelildubb2.0t View Post
      the dealer can still see the tune even if youre in stock mode
      CW '10 Passat 2.0TSI: UNI Stage 2 VMR V705 19x8.5 et45 Podi Boost gauge/pod AWE DV, Turbo Outlet Pipe BSH Boost Tap BillyBoat 3" TBE BFI Stg2 Dogbone/motor mount/trans. mount KW V2 coils Forge Twintake(1st on Passat/CC) JBL W12GTi MKII HEX+CAN vagcom, Podi.ca podi free ship code: NINOSHIP, VMR | Wheels velocitymotoring.com, VolksBHAN in September

7. Member
      Vehicles
      10-02-2012 11:10 AM #7
      My nearest Audi dealer is a Stasis/Revo dealer and they try to up sell on tune and suspension packages to new buyers. Buy a new A4 and they'll offer you a $5k suspension and tuning package.

How are they doing this with VW/Audi cracking down flashed ECUs? I read on their site that Stasis offers a 4yr/50,000 warranty, but it doesn't exactly clarify whether this is for the stasis parts/giac tunes themselves or for the car tuned with software and suspension packages.

Could it be that Stasis package prices include a premium to cover warranty expenses, therefore Stasis is able to offer warranty?

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 2.0T, 6MT, shadow blue Passat wagon
      10-02-2012 11:56 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Incrementalg View Post
      My nearest Audi dealer is a Stasis/Revo dealer and they try to up sell on tune and suspension packages to new buyers. Buy a new A4 and they'll offer you a $5k suspension and tuning package.

How are they doing this with VW/Audi cracking down flashed ECUs? I read on their site that Stasis offers a 4yr/50,000 warranty, but it doesn't exactly clarify whether this is for the stasis parts/giac tunes themselves or for the car tuned with software and suspension packages.

Could it be that Stasis package prices include a premium to cover warranty expenses, therefore Stasis is able to offer warranty?
      Stasis is an offshoot of Audi (like AMG with Mercedes), IIRC.

A buddy of mine is an Audi tech. He said most techs aren't that savvy in finding out if you have a tuning flash and he said most VW shops will just do whatever work needs to be done and that be the end of it. If your flash gets erased, then most tuners will do a reflash either free or for a minor charge.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      10-02-2012 12:03 PM #9

Vehicles
      '07 B6 Passat
      10-02-2012 12:09 PM #10
      Stasis is in no way affiliated with Audi. Audi has even came out and said so in a formal letter. They are nothing more than an aftermarket company.
      http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...other-vendors)

I haven't heard many VW's being flagged yet. The program original started with Audi, and is supposed to be slowly rolling out to VW from what I've read.

More more info search Audi TD1. There's some threads over on Audizine and a couple here on vortex.
      2007 Candy White/Black Passat 2.0T Wolfsburg Edition| APR Stage 2+ | APR HPFP | Forge WINtake | S3 Intercooler | B&B 3" Turbo-Back Exhaust | Dogbone Insert | FK Silverline+ Coilovers | Front Lip Spoiler/Hi-Def Sideskirts | Votex Trunk Lip Spoiler | R-Line Fog Grilles | Clear Corners | HID Kit - low beams & fogs | RCD-510 | Podi Boost gauge | R-Line Pedals | GTI Steering Wheel |

11. Member
      Vehicles
      10-02-2012 12:23 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by B6 Passat View Post
      Stasis is in no way affiliated with Audi. Audi has even came out and said so in a formal letter. They are nothing more than an aftermarket company.
      http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...other-vendors)

I haven't heard many VW's being flagged yet. The program original started with Audi, and is supposed to be slowly rolling out to VW from what I've read.

More more info search Audi TD1. There's some threads over on Audizine and a couple here on vortex.
      Thats exactly why I'm wondering how this dealership is handling customer's warranty work. If they're selling and installing tunes for new Audi buyers I wonder if they give the customers some sort of disclaimer or warrany warning up front? I'd think as an Audi dealer they'd have to disclose the potential for being denied warranty work due to the aftermarket products they're selling. Not to do so could land them with a lawsuit when/if an engine or transmission fails and the owner is told by Audi that he/she is SOL. (regardless of whether the tune caused actually caused the failure)

12. Member
      Vehicles
      10-02-2012 03:21 PM #12
      Thats exactly why I'm wondering how this dealership is handling customer's warranty work. If they're selling and installing tunes for new Audi buyers I wonder if they give the customers some sort of disclaimer or warrany warning up front? I'd think as an Audi dealer they'd have to disclose the potential for being denied warranty work due to the aftermarket products they're selling. Not to do so could land them with a lawsuit when/if an engine or transmission fails and the owner is told by Audi that he/she is SOL. (regardless of whether the tune caused actually caused the failure)
      The Audi tech I know (who's at one of the biggest dealers in Toronto) says full warranty on cars with Stasis tunes.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      10-02-2012 04:33 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by JohnEcanuck View Post
      The Audi tech I know (who's at one of the biggest dealers in Toronto) says full warranty on cars with Stasis tunes.
      If I were buying a new Audi and my dealer offered a package deal with full warranty I'd consider it for sure. Dropped, tuned and warrantied right off the lot!

14. Member
      Vehicles
      10-02-2012 07:39 PM #14
      FWIW a buddy has a 1 series bimmer and he got a tune (dinoc or something) from the dealer, all under warranty.

Vehicles
      07 3.6 4Motion Wagon
      10-02-2012 08:17 PM #15
      The last time I went to my dealer for service (Platinum VW) I noticed they had a banner hanging outside that said something along the lines of "Authorized APR Dealer" which I thought was pretty cool. I think it really depends on the dealer.
      Last edited by MDAce15; 10-02-2012 at 08:19 PM.

16. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2007 Passat WGN DUB
      10-07-2012 11:32 AM #16
      Well its more to the fact that the VW techs are saying that once they hook up the computer to the car, it registers with vw and is then flagged and your powertrain warranty is gone.
      2007 VW Passat WGN riding on 20" - Unitronic Stage 1 - Votex Body Kit

Vehicles
      10-07-2012 12:28 PM #17
      Well its more to the fact that the VW techs are saying that once they hook up the computer to the car, it registers with vw and is then flagged and your powertrain warranty is gone.
      powertrain isn't gone just like that... I'm flagged and i just got my mechatronics unit replaced. it was a $2300 warranty claim

Vehicles
      MKIV R32, 08 Passat VR6 4Mo.
      10-08-2012 12:25 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by MDAce15 View Post
      The last time I went to my dealer for service (Platinum VW) I noticed they had a banner hanging outside that said something along the lines of "Authorized APR Dealer" which I thought was pretty cool. I think it really depends on the dealer.
      what dealer was this?

19. Member
      Vehicles
      08 Passat wagon 2.0T 6MT (current). Past: 02 Golf TDI, Dark Beige 88.5 Camry V6 5MT, AE82 Corolla
      10-08-2012 12:38 PM #19
      platinum vw

bottom line is: if you're worried about keeping your warranty, don't mod your car until the warranty is up
      2008 Passat wagon, 2.0T 6MT with mods
      Other Rides:
      - 2013 Cannondale CAADX-6
      - 2010 Specialized Secteur Elite
      - 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29-er

20. Member
      Vehicles
      10-08-2012 01:16 PM #20
      Got this in an email from our nearby Audi dealer.

Save up to $300 on STaSIS Signature Series 2.0 Software!
      The ONLY warrantied 2.0 software upgrade on the market*

Special Introductory Price:
      $100 off any 2.0 ECU upgrade
      $100 off any 2.0 A4/A5/Q5 exhaust
      $300 off any 2.0 ECU / exhaust combination
      *Offer valid through November 9, 2012. Software purchased and installed through a certified STaSIS dealership is backed by a 4-year/50,000-mile warranty that runs concurrently with the factory warranty.

Vehicles
      2001 1.8t WOLFSBURG PEARLY WHITE
      12-31-2012 11:45 AM #21
      My friend has an audi b8 a4 and got it tuned with apr and went to an audi dealer that was an apr dealer because he is having issues with it and they flagged his car because it was tuned. I feel like he let the dealer f**k him in the a**hole but it still happen...

22. Member
      Vehicles
      12-31-2012 12:17 PM #22
      I don't think the dealers have any control over flagging. If they do, it won't be forever. If VW wants to implement warranty restrictions, they'll want it across the board. My guess is that checking for tunes and flagging cars will be an automated process that occurs when a car is scanned.

Any techs around that can weigh in with an update on how this works?

Vehicles
      08 Passat 2.0T, 11 Volvo XC60 R Design
      12-31-2012 12:40 PM #23
      I know this has been discussed in other forums too. From what theyre saying, Audi is flagging tuned ECU's. i have no idea why they would be different than VW. If this will continue, hopefully tuners will develop a tool like the BMW guys have that completely removes the tune. Maybe its to push Stasis as their "authorized" aftermarket brand. Stasis products are warrantied for a period like Dinan is for BMW.
      My build.
      #fukur2cnts

Vehicles
      2010 Passat
      01-02-2013 08:03 PM #24
      if it makes any difference, my dealer (vw of Pasadena) just replaced a bad ignition coil under warranty. 28k miles on the car and it's been chipped since 3k miles.

Vehicles
      01-03-2013 12:49 PM #25
      I don't think the dealers have any control over flagging. If they do, it won't be forever. If VW wants to implement warranty restrictions, they'll want it across the board. My guess is that checking for tunes and flagging cars will be an automated process that occurs when a car is scanned.

Any techs around that can weigh in with an update on how this works?
      The dealers don't have any control when it comes to flagging. When the car is plugged in, the system automatically checks. Though, it is the decision of the tech, service writer, and dealer as a whole to make the call whether they will do the warranty work. Many service writers turn flagged cars down because they are afraid of VWoA or AoA not paying for the warranty work. If the service writer actually knew anything about the cars he/she works with, they would allow warranty work because if the problem isn't a result of the tune the dealer will still get money for the work

Vehicles
      2006 Passat 2.0T, 2008 Touareg VR6 (for sale - $15k), 2003 Audi A6 3.0
      01-04-2013 08:37 AM #26
      When I had my A3 in for warranty work the guy asked me if it was tuned but it isn't so I said no.

I don't know what the "flag" process would be. It seems that it would just be a note in the system that they type in.

I got my pcv update done under warranty with a tune.

I agree with trackstar where it's going to be up to the people involved and their knowledge of the topic.
      2006 Passat 2.0T Tiptronic | Unitronic Stage 2 | DG Springs | Newsouth Boost Gauge | BFI Tranny Insert | Rev D DV | BSH PCV fix | eBay Downpipe w/cat | Autotech Exhaust | DDM HIDs | Bentley Manual | VCDS
      2008 Touareg VR6 (for sale! $15,500)
      2003 Audi A6 3.0