Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Loss of power, while in cruise control.

1. Junior Member PineappleBrains's Avatar
      Vehicles
      .:R32T
      10-01-2012 12:22 AM #1
      Earlier this evening on the highway while in cruise control I had a strange issue.
      Going up a slight incline all of the sudden I lost power, my ESP and EPC lights came on, and the engine was running very strange. It wasn't stuttering but was louder and vibrating a whole lot more than normal. I pulled over and shut the car off for a couple mins, started it up, everything was normal and continued. About an hour later the same thing happened and when I started up the car again the check engine light was on.
      I had my room mate scan it when I got back and it came up with ECM and PCM processor errors.

Not sure what kind of problems this would be. All the searches on cruise control didn't turn up anything like this.
      Anyone heard of something similar or point me in the right direction as to what the problem would be?

The cars a turbo'd r32. Any other information you need I'll gladly supply.

Most recent picture just because I never post. Too bad it's already a couple months old.

Vehicles
      2004 BMP R32
      10-01-2012 01:57 AM #2
      This has happened to me, but I'm not turbo'ed. When I shut the car off and turned it back on a minute or two later it went away. Scanned the car right after it happened and I had no codes. Same symptoms however. Has probably happened 3 times in 50,000 or so miles. I was cruising next to an R32 guru and he said it sounded like misfiring. Sounds like a computer error/electrical gremlin if anything...
      http://r32registry.org/802 ||| Garage Banners
      Quote Originally Posted by donotcometoflorida View Post
      If my science data analysis on current trends is correct, I project that by the years 2018 - 2025, all car's body panels will be replaced entirely by grill.

Vehicles
      MKIV R32-RS & 06 Specialized Rock Hopper
      10-01-2012 02:45 AM #3
      check the cam sensor screws. they get loose and have given some ppl these simalar symptoms.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...am+hall+sensor
      "A genius is not measured by what he knows, but with what he can figure out with what he already knows."
      Quote Originally Posted by power_mind View Post
      Also, remember that you can throw the whole parts bin at the car, you can even pick and choose, but the best modification is to tighten the loose nut behind the wheel.
      Instagram : Visualblurr

Vehicles
      2004 DBP R32; 1971 Superbug
      10-01-2012 02:51 AM #4
      I have a dedicated page on my Webspace for this now:

http://www.users.on.net/~graeme86/ca...camsensor.html

In this case, however, I would also check the function of the brake light switch on the pedal, given that it happened when the CC was engaged.

PM if you are looking for: Euro Headlight switches; RHD folding Stubbies.
      OEM+ freaks click here: Graeme's Webspace - Latest Updates: Rear Fog LED in Headlight Switch using Audi parts; Passenger Footlight Mounting Bracket; Handbrake Return Springs; CC LED mod; Interior Monitor Switch Mod; Bulb Check System

5. 10-01-2012 07:29 AM #5
      Mine C2 software was doing it real bad. Will cruse for some 3-5 minutes then power loss following check engine light. Scanned with no codes.

Flashed with UM code, problem went away. Never came back.
      So it can be code related.

6. Junior Member PineappleBrains's Avatar
      Vehicles
      10-01-2012 04:21 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by graeme86 View Post
      I have a dedicated page on my Webspace for this now:

http://www.users.on.net/~graeme86/ca...camsensor.html

In this case, however, I would also check the function of the brake light switch on the pedal, given that it happened when the CC was engaged.

Checked both those bolts and they were secure.
      Wouldn't the brake light switch only cause the CC to turn off? Not cause a loss of power?

Vehicles
      3.2 electric boogaloo bitches
      10-01-2012 04:33 PM #7
      if its faulty it could probably do a number on either.

possibly.
      WITW2014 UNIbrace

Vehicles
      MKIV R32-RS & 06 Specialized Rock Hopper
      10-01-2012 06:45 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by PineappleBrains View Post
      Checked both those bolts and they were secure.
      Wouldn't the brake light switch only cause the CC to turn off? Not cause a loss of power?
      we mentionsed the CAM sensor screws as it sometimes gets overlooked as a issue. but back to the mission at hand...

has your car had all its Recalls done? The brake light switch is one of them. check with your local dealer if you havent already.
      "A genius is not measured by what he knows, but with what he can figure out with what he already knows."
      Quote Originally Posted by power_mind View Post
      Also, remember that you can throw the whole parts bin at the car, you can even pick and choose, but the best modification is to tighten the loose nut behind the wheel.
      Instagram : Visualblurr

Vehicles
      2004 DBP R32; 1971 Superbug
      10-01-2012 11:09 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by PineappleBrains View Post
      If the ECU thinks the brakes are on, then it cuts the engine power...it's a safety cut off they have programmed in.

If you don't have the latest switch then certainly change it.
      PM if you are looking for: Euro Headlight switches; RHD folding Stubbies.
      OEM+ freaks click here: Graeme's Webspace - Latest Updates: Rear Fog LED in Headlight Switch using Audi parts; Passenger Footlight Mounting Bracket; Handbrake Return Springs; CC LED mod; Interior Monitor Switch Mod; Bulb Check System

10. Junior Member PineappleBrains's Avatar
      Vehicles
      10-02-2012 01:43 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by VincewagenR32 View Post
      we mentionsed the CAM sensor screws as it sometimes gets overlooked as a issue. but back to the mission at hand...

has your car had all its Recalls done? The brake light switch is one of them. check with your local dealer if you havent already.
      Just got off the phone with the dealer, the only open recall is the ignition coils. Which I made an appointment for. But everything else has already been completed.

Vehicles
      BMP MKIV .:R32T, B8A4, LS3-86Z28(trkhor)
      10-02-2012 02:29 PM #11
      Did your idle change too? what if you unplug the maf. does the car still die or does it run better?
      ALL PRICES REDUCED
      Click me for apparel
      HAVE YOU SEEN THE VIDEO?
      .:::Exklusiv:::.

12. Junior Member PineappleBrains's Avatar
      Vehicles
      10-04-2012 05:50 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by gnatman View Post
      Did your idle change too? what if you unplug the maf. does the car still die or does it run better?
      The idle changed when it happened in cruise control and also after I cleared the check engine light that night it got a bit smoother. The car has never stalled out on its own before though.
      Ill check what happens with the maf unplugged later tonight after class.