Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)
    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Results 71 to 105 of 113

    Thread: Has anyone gone into Canada with a DUI recently?

    1. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 3rd, 2009
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      241
      10-01-2012 05:36 PM #71
      It isn't just a one way thing, I know several Canadians who were denied entry to the US because of a DUI.

    2. Member
      Join Date
      May 3rd, 2012
      Location
      Brooklyn, NY
      Posts
      3,811
      Vehicles
      RWD Swedish Rectangle with 5spd transmission
      10-01-2012 07:12 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by bigev007 View Post
      It isn't just a one way thing, I know several Canadians who were denied entry to the US because of a DUI.
      Must be a lot harder to ride a moose when you're pissed.

    3. Member David802's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 22nd, 2011
      Location
      SLuT
      Posts
      2,694
      Vehicles
      01 Jetta VR6, 71 Type 1.
      10-01-2012 07:29 PM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW View Post
      Lol, and what "legal grounds" do you have to be allowed into our country? The border guards can ask whatever the hell they want, and rightly so. If it's a problem there is always the option to stay in the US. Your amendments and constitutions or whatever don't mean squat once you are over that line.
      But we are all knowing and all powerful here in murica....

      [/sarcasm]

    4. Banned FBMphil's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 18th, 2006
      Location
      Chicago 'burbs
      Posts
      7,928
      Vehicles
      Focus hatch
      10-01-2012 07:38 PM #74
      Secondhand experience with a coworker and a parent who've been told they cannot cross without going through the designated CBSA bureaucratic process to reobtain eligibility. Coming from someone that works extensively with the customs sector, there's not really a workaround other than the option they give you.

      My firsthand experience comes from having a passenger with a record in my vehicle during a crossing that had previously made it over the border with nary a snag--even with two DUIs.

      One crossing went differently. After crossing the Ambassador en route to Toronto, the CBSA agent directed the both of us to the border station on the southerly side of the Windsor crossing. The two vehicles ahead of me were also flagged, so I'm assuming she was just having a bad day, meeting a quote, etc. After a short wait, I was told to come back another time. My friend was subjected to questioning by a CBSA agent and told that he will be spending time in foreign jail if he attempts to cross again. We were then escorted back to the vehicle by an armed officer and were summarily greeted by a perplexed U.S. border agent who didn't quite understand why I told him "we were in Canada for 20 minutes."

    5. Member vdubman1's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 4th, 2004
      Location
      Ontario
      Posts
      3,929
      10-01-2012 08:04 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by Oliver@triplezoom View Post
      I'd say you crossed the bridge over to the city of Niagara Falls. Toronto is a different city that is almost 80 miles away.
      You would be correct, the Rainbow Bridge takes you pretty much right into downtown Niagara Falls Ontario.

      I wish there was a bridge from Buffalo to Toronto! I can get to Buffalo in about 30 minutes from my house, but even though I can SEE Toronto across the lake from my house... it usually takes at least 1.5 hours to get downtown from here.

    6. Banned roadtripper's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 22nd, 2003
      Posts
      3,994
      10-01-2012 08:08 PM #76
      wow - i am fascinated by this topic. i have witnessed countless crossings firsthand of a person with a dui. ranging from just two people in the car on business, to two couples on vacation, to a large group of dudes for a bachelor party (mine; montreal). on one occasion, there were two in the car. it never came up once; he gave his license/passport, and they waved him right through each time. i can't even recall any but the most mundane questions (any drugs, contraband, etc, where you going, etc).

      this was over a range of about 10-15 years ago. has this all changed in the last decade, or was this dude's numerous leisurely and uneventful crossings just an incredible streak of luck?

    7. 10-01-2012 09:15 PM #77
      I think the only real difference is in the past they asked you if you had been convicted of any crimes, but they didn't have the ability to instantly and effortlessly check. Now they can, so if they ask about it, they likely already know.

    8. Member nm+'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 6th, 2006
      Location
      Land of Bro-Dozer Ya Yas
      Posts
      19,005
      Vehicles
      2005 Legacy GT Wagon 5MT w/overnight diffs from Japan; 2013 Mazda 2 5MT
      10-01-2012 10:28 PM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by roadtripper View Post
      wow - i am fascinated by this topic. i have witnessed countless crossings firsthand of a person with a dui. ranging from just two people in the car on business, to two couples on vacation, to a large group of dudes for a bachelor party (mine; montreal). on one occasion, there were two in the car. it never came up once; he gave his license/passport, and they waved him right through each time. i can't even recall any but the most mundane questions (any drugs, contraband, etc, where you going, etc).

      this was over a range of about 10-15 years ago. has this all changed in the last decade, or was this dude's numerous leisurely and uneventful crossings just an incredible streak of luck?
      Computerized databases are much better now.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ducky TSX
      The Car Lounge likes to compare apples to llamas

    9. Member 03GTI4Me's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 24th, 2003
      Location
      NorCal
      Posts
      1,973
      Vehicles
      Jetta GLI; Acura RDX
      10-01-2012 10:57 PM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by bigev007 View Post
      It isn't just a one way thing, I know several Canadians who were denied entry to the US because of a DUI.
      This is incorrect.

      I can tell you from first hand experience that a DUI alone is not enough for Customs and Border Protection to refuse a Canadian entry into the United States.

      If your friends were indeed denied entry, they have something more than just a DUI on their record (If it was just their record they were denied entry for).

    10. Member chrismkay3's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 16th, 2008
      Location
      Winnipeg
      Posts
      2,667
      Vehicles
      Old Fart Wagon
      10-01-2012 11:10 PM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by hipster. View Post
      So, two things...

      1) Canada wont allow "felons" with DUI's into their country, but they'll turn a mostly blind eye to pounds and pounds of weed leaving their country for the US.
      once you learn that all CBSA gives a crap about is taxation of things coming into the country, you`d know why they don`t care about what`s leaving the country. all they care is that they get their money.

      i`m actually happy to travel to the US because the border guards are so friendly. canadian border guards are universally pricks. i have had more trouble getting home than i have leaving!

    11. Member HerrGolf's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 30th, 2002
      Location
      Columbus, Jugoslavija
      Posts
      5,851
      Vehicles
      2000 Civic D16Y7
      10-01-2012 11:12 PM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by 03GTI4Me View Post
      This is incorrect.

      I can tell you from first hand experience that a DUI alone is not enough for Customs and Border Protection to refuse a Canadian entry into the United States.

      If your friends were indeed denied entry, they have something more than just a DUI on their record (If it was just their record they were denied entry for).
      That's not entirely true. My partner was denied entry into Canada for a study abroad program and has nothing else besides a DUI charge, not conviction, on his criminal record. So, yeah, even charges will be taken into consideration.

      I am told, though, that you can submit an application for entry with a criminal record and possibly have a chance at getting in. It just needs to be addressed beforehand. Anyone else know anything about this latter aspect?

    12. Member 03GTI4Me's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 24th, 2003
      Location
      NorCal
      Posts
      1,973
      Vehicles
      Jetta GLI; Acura RDX
      10-01-2012 11:28 PM #82
      Quote Originally Posted by HerrGolf View Post
      That's not entirely true. My partner was denied entry into Canada for a study abroad program and has nothing else besides a DUI charge, not conviction, on his criminal record. So, yeah, even charges will be taken into consideration.

      I am told, though, that you can submit an application for entry with a criminal record and possibly have a chance at getting in. It just needs to be addressed beforehand. Anyone else know anything about this latter aspect?
      When it comes to DUI convictions only:

      The Canadians will refuse a US Citizen entry into Canada for a DUI conviction.

      The U.S. will not refuse a Canadian Citizen entry into the US for a DUI conviction.

      Re-read my post.

    13. Member HerrGolf's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 30th, 2002
      Location
      Columbus, Jugoslavija
      Posts
      5,851
      Vehicles
      2000 Civic D16Y7
      10-01-2012 11:30 PM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by 03GTI4Me View Post
      When it comes to DUI convictions only:

      The Canadians will refuse a US Citizen entry into Canada for a DUI conviction.

      The U.S. will not refuse a Canadian Citizen entry into the US for a DUI conviction.

      Re-read my post.
      Oh... gotcha.

      As for how to get into Canada as a U.S. citizen with a DUI, here's the application process:

      http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...iew=d#Approval

    14. Member nm+'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 6th, 2006
      Location
      Land of Bro-Dozer Ya Yas
      Posts
      19,005
      Vehicles
      2005 Legacy GT Wagon 5MT w/overnight diffs from Japan; 2013 Mazda 2 5MT
      10-01-2012 11:40 PM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by 03GTI4Me View Post
      When it comes to DUI convictions only:

      The Canadians will refuse a US Citizen entry into Canada for a DUI conviction.

      The U.S. will not refuse a Canadian Citizen entry into the US for a DUI conviction.

      Re-read my post.
      Yeah, that is generally true. However, someone with an alcohol or substance abuse problem (multiple DUIs, for example), might be denied entry, but it is much more flexible than Canada.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ducky TSX
      The Car Lounge likes to compare apples to llamas

    15. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 19th, 2005
      Location
      Shepherdsturd, WV
      Posts
      9,134
      Vehicles
      '12 JKU / '06 FXSTDI
      10-02-2012 09:25 AM #85
      Quote Originally Posted by Adam144 View Post
      I think that's a profit margin thing mostly. Maybe it's to avoid stomach pumping, who knows.



      I could do it. I might puke on the way to pick up the other 6 but i'm sure I could do it.
      That's only about equal to 64 Molsons.

    16. Member WakusPakus's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 13th, 2012
      Location
      860 and 727
      Posts
      2,267
      Vehicles
      2005 Outback XT, Truck, Boat, Quad
      10-02-2012 09:39 AM #86
      dui's are why i once slept it off in front of the car...head on crub.

      better than not being allowed in to Canadia...eh.
      Quote Originally Posted by hipster. View Post
      There aint no OZ in rape.

    17. 10-02-2012 09:54 AM #87
      Quote Originally Posted by chrismkay3 View Post
      once you learn that all CBSA gives a crap about is taxation of things coming into the country, you`d know why they don`t care about what`s leaving the country. all they care is that they get their money.

      i`m actually happy to travel to the US because the border guards are so friendly. canadian border guards are universally pricks. i have had more trouble getting home than i have leaving!
      This. Canadian border guards are generally absolute a-holes to deal with.
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      No, the real enthusiast vehicle would be the RX8. It combines V12 Lamborghini gas mileage with Hyundai Genesis 4cyl. performance.

    18. 10-02-2012 10:25 AM #88
      [QUOTE=hipster.;79179207]So, two things...

      1) Canada wont allow "felons" with DUI's into their country, but they'll turn a mostly blind eye to pounds and pounds of weed leaving their country for the US.
      [QUOTE]

      Our economy is built upon the exportation model.
      2009 Mazda 6 GS V6
      2008 Suzuki Hayabusa

    19. Member mhjett's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 16th, 2000
      Location
      Northern Virginia
      Posts
      7,098
      Vehicles
      '08 VW Jetta SE 2.5
      10-02-2012 10:51 AM #89
      Quote Originally Posted by HerrGolf View Post
      That's not entirely true. My partner was denied entry into Canada for a study abroad program and has nothing else besides a DUI charge, not conviction, on his criminal record. So, yeah, even charges will be taken into consideration.

      I am told, though, that you can submit an application for entry with a criminal record and possibly have a chance at getting in. It just needs to be addressed beforehand. Anyone else know anything about this latter aspect?
      The thing is, there are certain known policies (like Canada prohibiting entry to those with DUI convictions) but bottom line, countries with their sovereignty can pretty much deny entry to anyone for any reason if they want. There's not a whole lot you can do to fight it.

      Quote Originally Posted by Double-V View Post
      This. Canadian border guards are generally absolute a-holes to deal with.
      I can attest to this. I tried driving into Saskatchewan at North Portal and was detained for about an hour and a half. Granted, I was driving my brother's car up there full of his stuff and going to leave it there and fly home (my brother was moving up there but flying separately) and had no documentation for the stuff and the car was in his name. So OK, maybe just a little suspicious and I was partly to blame... I had this short woman with an apparent Napolean complex interrogating me, but at least she was halfway cute. And to be fair, she was firm but polite.
      Last edited by mhjett; 10-02-2012 at 10:53 AM.
      2008 VW Jetta SE 2.5 [current]
      1995 VW Jetta GLX VR6 [07.2003 - 03.2012]

    20. Moderator Oliver@triplezoom's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 30th, 1999
      Location
      Fredericton NB Canada
      Posts
      44,088
      Vehicles
      2006 Mazda6 GT wagon, 2007 Mazda3 GT sedan
      10-02-2012 12:01 PM #90
      Quote Originally Posted by Double-V View Post
      This. Canadian border guards are generally absolute a-holes to deal with.
      That hasn't been my experience at all and I travel to the US and back 3-4 times a year.

    21. Member mhjett's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 16th, 2000
      Location
      Northern Virginia
      Posts
      7,098
      Vehicles
      '08 VW Jetta SE 2.5
      10-02-2012 12:22 PM #91
      Quote Originally Posted by Oliver@triplezoom View Post
      That hasn't been my experience at all and I travel to the US and back 3-4 times a year.
      You are a Canadian.
      2008 VW Jetta SE 2.5 [current]
      1995 VW Jetta GLX VR6 [07.2003 - 03.2012]

    22. 10-02-2012 01:29 PM #92
      Quote Originally Posted by Oliver@triplezoom View Post
      That hasn't been my experience at all and I travel to the US and back 3-4 times a year.
      I find the canadian border guards are usually harsher than the US guards.
      2009 Mazda 6 GS V6
      2008 Suzuki Hayabusa

    23. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 5th, 2005
      Location
      Colorado springs, CO
      Posts
      343
      Vehicles
      2011 audi tt ea888
      10-03-2012 01:45 PM #93
      A little off topic but do U.S. border agents stamp or scan your passport when returning to the U.S., by vehicle, if you are a U.S. citizen. Specifically Windsor to Detroit.

    24. Member
      Join Date
      May 10th, 2006
      Location
      Vancouver/Melbourne
      Posts
      1,233
      Vehicles
      2011 Tiguan Highline, 2012 Mazda CX5 2.0i, 2008 Audi S3 3Dr Manual
      10-03-2012 01:53 PM #94
      I drive down to WA to pick up crap all the time for the last 8 years. I have yet to meet a prick @ the US customs, but I always end up with a prick 2/5 coming back to Canada. I have never lied about the value of goods I am bringing, but they seem to have a holier than thou attitude. For what it's worth, I try to be extra polite to them (i.e. I would say 'Good afternoon officer..')

      They've let me crossed without having to pay taxes just by being polite.

    25. Member Cousin Eddie's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 17th, 2005
      Location
      Ontario, Canada
      Posts
      14,563
      Vehicles
      That there's an RV, Clark
      10-03-2012 01:57 PM #95
      Why does this retarded U.S. vs. Canada border guards thing keep going back and forth?

      If you're an American, entry to your homeland is easier. Canadians, easier coming to Canada. So each country's guards seem opposite depends where you're from, pretty simple.

    26. Member
      Join Date
      May 3rd, 2012
      Location
      Brooklyn, NY
      Posts
      3,811
      Vehicles
      RWD Swedish Rectangle with 5spd transmission
      10-03-2012 01:59 PM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by Adam144 View Post
      Why does this retarded U.S. vs. Canada border guards thing keep going back and forth?

      If you're an American, entry to your homeland is easier. Canadians, easier coming to Canada. So each country's guards seem opposite depends where you're from, pretty simple.
      I'm still confused why anyone would WANT to go to Canada.

      If I'm going to visit one of USA's J.O.-buddies, it's going to be Mexico.
      Quote Originally Posted by Hogan View Post
      A lack of knowledge and facts has never once slowed down The Car Lounge.
      Quote Originally Posted by alexislow View Post
      Can we get pictures of your feet in return? Just the feet.

    27. Member
      Join Date
      May 10th, 2006
      Location
      Vancouver/Melbourne
      Posts
      1,233
      Vehicles
      2011 Tiguan Highline, 2012 Mazda CX5 2.0i, 2008 Audi S3 3Dr Manual
      10-03-2012 02:06 PM #97
      Quote Originally Posted by hipster. View Post
      I'm still confused why anyone would WANT to go to Canada.

      If I'm going to visit one of USA's J.O.-buddies, it's going to be Mexico.
      We have "real" fruits, dairy, and meat. You don't have to worry about your life if you cut-off someone by accident. You pay more for your gas, but when it says zero ethanol, it really means zero ethanol. Our highways are much better paved; we use real asphalt, not some cheap crushed rocks. (Best example would be the US I5 vs the Hwy #1)

      By the way, PF Chang has the s*ittiest food I have ever tested. Wolfgang Puck sauces are a joke as well. That is all...

      (/end over generalizing comments..)

    28. Member
      Join Date
      May 3rd, 2012
      Location
      Brooklyn, NY
      Posts
      3,811
      Vehicles
      RWD Swedish Rectangle with 5spd transmission
      10-03-2012 02:14 PM #98
      Quote Originally Posted by too_slow View Post
      We have "real" fruits, dairy, and meat. You don't have to worry about your life if you cut-off someone by accident. You pay more for your gas, but when it says zero ethanol, it really means zero ethanol. Our highways are much better paved; we use real asphalt, not some cheap crushed rocks. (Best example would be the US I5 vs the Hwy #1)

      By the way, PF Chang has the s*ittiest food I have ever tested. Wolfgang Puck sauces are a joke as well. That is all...

      (/end over generalizing comments..)
      They have Wolfgang Puck and PF Chang in Mexico?

      Do you know what Mexico has that you don't have in Canada? That's right, donkey shows.

      Maybe if you guys start advertising Moose Shows up there, maybe then ill make the trek to your bland country.
      Quote Originally Posted by Hogan View Post
      A lack of knowledge and facts has never once slowed down The Car Lounge.
      Quote Originally Posted by alexislow View Post
      Can we get pictures of your feet in return? Just the feet.

    29. Member
      Join Date
      May 10th, 2006
      Location
      Vancouver/Melbourne
      Posts
      1,233
      Vehicles
      2011 Tiguan Highline, 2012 Mazda CX5 2.0i, 2008 Audi S3 3Dr Manual
      10-03-2012 02:19 PM #99
      Quote Originally Posted by hipster. View Post
      They have Wolfgang Puck and PF Chang in Mexico?

      Do you know what Mexico has that you don't have in Canada? That's right, donkey shows.

      Maybe if you guys start advertising Moose Shows up there, maybe then ill make the trek to your bland country.
      ?? I know that they have Coke that's made with cane sugar, and not corn syrup! It is bland if you only like going out at night (no night life here in Vancouver), but that's not really my thing anyways.
      I've only been to the fancy touristy areas Maya Riviera (Cancun) but not the city, so my view is slightly biased. Oh, they also have very s*itty roads in Mexico.. LOL And the VW Diesel van that transported me from the airport to the resort was not comfy at all.

    30. Member Mtl-Marc's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 13th, 2006
      Location
      Mtl, QC
      Posts
      15,302
      10-03-2012 02:29 PM #100
      Quote Originally Posted by hipster. View Post
      I'm still confused why anyone would WANT to go to Canada.
      Because milk.



      And our prime minister does not bow to kings.

      Last edited by Mtl-Marc; Today at 23:59 PM.

      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Eistreiber
      Yeah, I prefer slow-cooked bacon; and bacon grease saved is great for frying other stuff, adds some good flavor to almost anything. Except maybe tofu, that stuff is beyond help.

    31. Member sandiegan's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 25th, 2005
      Location
      LA Section 8 Housing
      Posts
      4,529
      Vehicles
      GOAT. Bicycle.
      10-03-2012 02:32 PM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by too_slow View Post
      Our highways are much better paved;
      You, sir, have never crossed the line from Vermont into Quebec

    32. Member Mtl-Marc's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 13th, 2006
      Location
      Mtl, QC
      Posts
      15,302
      10-03-2012 02:33 PM #102
      Quote Originally Posted by sandiegan View Post
      You, sir, have never crossed the line from Vermont into Quebec
      Last edited by Mtl-Marc; Today at 23:59 PM.

      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Eistreiber
      Yeah, I prefer slow-cooked bacon; and bacon grease saved is great for frying other stuff, adds some good flavor to almost anything. Except maybe tofu, that stuff is beyond help.

    33. Member
      Join Date
      May 10th, 2006
      Location
      Vancouver/Melbourne
      Posts
      1,233
      Vehicles
      2011 Tiguan Highline, 2012 Mazda CX5 2.0i, 2008 Audi S3 3Dr Manual
      10-03-2012 02:34 PM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by sandiegan View Post
      You, sir, have never crossed the line from Vermont into Quebec
      Quebec's not really part of Canada anyways..

    34. Member Mike!'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 17th, 2002
      Location
      Ontario & Ohio
      Posts
      12,021
      Vehicles
      2010 Mazda6 GT-I4
      10-03-2012 02:46 PM #104
      Quote Originally Posted by abacorrado View Post
      A little off topic but do U.S. border agents stamp or scan your passport when returning to the U.S., by vehicle, if you are a U.S. citizen. Specifically Windsor to Detroit.
      Passports are typically scanned at all border crossings. Stamps are for when a Visa of some sort is being issued, and usually the expiry is noted in or next to the stamp. US citizens don't need a visa for visiting Canada, and vice-versa, so normal travel won't result in a stamp for either direction.

      My US passport was stamped by Canada and had my Study Permit stapled to that page when I officially 'landed' in Canada as a student. The same happened when my Study Permit was renewed. It's never been stamped any other time.

    35. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 5th, 2005
      Location
      Colorado springs, CO
      Posts
      343
      Vehicles
      2011 audi tt ea888
      10-03-2012 03:14 PM #105
      OK how about only Windsor to Detroit by car, anyone with recent experience, was passport scanned, or just visually checked, or just allowed to drive thru?

    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •