Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Has anyone gone into Canada with a DUI recently?

Vehicles
      '08 LR3 HSE, '04 A4 3.0Q, '94 Golf Rally Car
      10-03-2012 03:23 PM #106
      Quote Originally Posted by chrismkay3 View Post
      i have had more trouble getting home than i have leaving!
      I'm glad it works both ways - I HATE crossing into Canada. The guards are dicks just trying to get you to make one little mistake - Like I'm going to be running drugs/guns from the US into Canada? WTF. Just some big ego trip
      '08 LR3 HSE: The Daily/Off-Roader
      '04 A4 3.0Q: The Wife's Ride
      '94 Golf Rally Car: A long long Project

Vehicles
      That there's an RV, Clark
      10-03-2012 03:26 PM #107
      Everyone in this thread reminds me of people trying to figure out why the metal detector beeped on them at the airport. After checking through customs you'll hear some ******* have a 30 minute conversation in the terminal with his wife "well i didn't have my belt on, I can't think of anything metal"...

HEY MORON! It's a random ****ing beep so they can pat down random people. Yes it goes off when metal is detected but i'm sure it also goes off just for ****s and giggles to check people.

Kind of like ******* border guards, that's their job. To pressure you and see how you react to it. Jesus people.

Vehicles
      Jetta GLI; Acura RDX
      10-03-2012 03:35 PM #108
      Quote Originally Posted by abacorrado View Post
      OK how about only Windsor to Detroit by car, anyone with recent experience, was passport scanned, or just visually checked, or just allowed to drive thru?
      Why so curious...

Don't use your bro's passport. You will have problems.

4. 10-03-2012 03:52 PM #109
      Quote Originally Posted by chrismkay3 View Post
      once you learn that all CBSA gives a crap about is taxation of things coming into the country, you`d know why they don`t care about what`s leaving the country. all they care is that they get their money.

i`m actually happy to travel to the US because the border guards are so friendly. canadian border guards are universally pricks. i have had more trouble getting home than i have leaving!
      Since when is it the CBSAs responsibility to care about what LEAVES the country? That is a job for US customs and if anything the RCMP. Not CBSAs mandate. Their job is to worry about what comes in, and the illegal immigrants that don't leave.
      Last edited by WhistlerYOW; 10-03-2012 at 03:55 PM.

5. 10-03-2012 03:58 PM #110
      I'm not going to give any advice to the OP, but I can answer his question. As a result of some very poor decision making which won't happen again, I had a DUI about 7 years ago in GA. Two years ago I went to the F1 race in Montreal with a friend of mine. At the time, I didn't even know about their restriction. We drove over the border without incident. I presented a passport, but I don't remember if it was scanned or not. Even if it was, there's no information about your criminal record directly on the passport. If Canada has a database that can link the two, it didn't go off in my case. Perhaps I was just lucky, but I think that a standard tourist crossing doesn't get the same level of scrutiny as someone showing up on a student / work visa.

Take that for what it's worth.

10-03-2012 04:00 PM #111
      I know this "guy" very well that has a record and has had zero issues crossing over to Canada. Last trip over was 2010. Heading up from Jay Peak. I'm sure our passports weren't scanned going or leaving.

Roll the dice and go for it.

I've never had an issue crossing over and have never had a guard give me a hard time. Even when I had to get out of the car.

10-03-2012 04:02 PM #112
      Quote Originally Posted by gr8shandini View Post
      We drove over the border without incident. I presented a passport, but I don't remember if it was scanned or not. Even if it was, there's no information about your criminal record directly on the passport. If Canada has a database that can link the two, it didn't go off in my case. Perhaps I was just lucky, but I think that a standard tourist crossing doesn't get the same level of scrutiny as someone showing up on a student / work visa.

Take that for what it's worth.
      I agree with this person!

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 audi tt ea888
      10-03-2012 04:10 PM #113
      Thanks.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234