Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: MT: 2012-2013 Family sedan showdown

Vehicles
      2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 2013 Hyundai Elantra Limited
      10-01-2012 01:42 PM #26
      Out of that group, I'd probably take the Accord.
      "Of course that's just my opinion; I could be wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by The Igneous Faction
      Have you ever popped the hood on a powerstroke E350?
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW
      No, I got good grades in school

Vehicles
      2008 Audi TT VR6, 2011 Volkswagen Touareg TDI, 2002 Ford F-250 SuperCrew V10, 2001 Audi A4 1.8TQM
      10-01-2012 01:45 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by BostonB6 View Post
      Here's a pic of Malibu's rear seat

And here is a pic of the Passat's rear seat

You could drive a tank right through there. It's enormous. That's a huge selling point right there.

10-01-2012 01:46 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by koko12 View Post
      dear MT, FU.

This is one of the most BS articles i've seen in a while. These are family sedans and should be tested and rated as such. If you're going to conduct a full series of test base on what makes these vehicles excellent family sedans than trow away all those virtues and make your final selection based on the single one thing that matters least in this class of vehicle, why bother at all? Also if the most important thing about these cars is which is the best driver's car then why not choose an Accord Sport which has a slightly more powerful engine, better grippier tires and a 6 speed manual transmission which non of the other can match.
      To be honest even the TOVTEC review of the Accord Sport said it lost some of the steering feel and chassis dynamics of the prior generation which most would say slid away from the even better 7th generation Accord.

The Accord has shifted focus from fun to drive to become subdued and reduced NVH along the way. Somehow I doubt that will cost Honda any sales and in fact lead to more buyers.
      Sent from my tablet while sipping weak drinks over fancy brunch with a view

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Tiguan Highline, 2012 Mazda CX5 2.0i, 2008 Audi S3 3Dr Manual
      10-01-2012 01:46 PM #29
      I believe the VW i5 is about to be replaced by the 1.8T across the whole board.. I wonder how that will affect fuel consumption/reliability, especially on the larger Passat.

5. Swallow Doretti
      10-01-2012 01:51 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      Anyways - My own take is Nissan deserves the crown. After starting this article talking about how bread & butter family sedans are so important and deserve notice MT tosses out all of the important metrics and puts focus on simple German interiors and driving dynamics.
      Motor Trend has a hard-on for the Passat that borders on the unhealthy; usually, when something lasts that long, you should consult your physician. I've driven several Passats, and they're the veritable definition of the word "fine," as in "the interior is satisfactory," "the engine is kind of unrefined and noisy but pulls OK with acceptable fuel economy," "the styling is attractive in sort of a bland, featureless way." It's not the total POS that the Jetta is, but unless you get the TDI, it's just really ho-hum. I think another TCLer had an opinion posted here about this:

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars...en-passat.html

I agree on the Altima/Accord recommendations--these two seem to be the reigning class champs. Also, for those who are interested, the new Mazda 6 first drives for US media happened in Paris this week in conjunction with the show.

6. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      LG G2 / Notes 3 / Nexus 5
      10-01-2012 01:56 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by IsraelGT View Post
      I think the Accord deserves the 1st place, and if I wanted something sportier it would have to be the Fusion.
      That said VW did really well with the Passat.

Regarding the Camry, while it might deserve the 5th place, and Toyota could have tried harder, they either had a lemon or they are full of it. My sister currently drives a rental Camry SE, and it is very comfortable, quiet and well built. Sure I think the interior looks too cheap, I hate the infotaiment screen, and the exterior while OK is nothing more than a refresh of the last Camry, but from what they wrote you would think it drives/rides like a Yugo, and its far from it.
      As always market dollars wins any journalist attention. Why would publishers cover cars that are better in value but not paying them enough advertising fees. It's not cheap to rent offices on Madison Avenue here in NYC.

Vehicles
      2003 Miata SE, 2003 Honda S2000, 2007 Honda Fit Sport
      10-01-2012 01:59 PM #32
      amazing the malibu basically went from middle-top of its class to the back of the pack AFTER a redesign. ouch.
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

Vehicles
      2012 GLI
      10-01-2012 02:01 PM #33
      So MT does a comparison on all the NEW designs/models of last years top selling sedans

Would have been better to put all the sedans in there. The Subaru, Kia/Hyundai, etc. Considering 90% of the brands put out a new generation in the past few months it would seem only fair.

Oh well, can't argue with the results although the Passat is much better with the 2.0T.

My picks:

1 - Passat
      2 - Mazda 6
      3 - Ford Fusion
      4 - Kia Optima
      5 - Toyota Camry
      6 - Honda Accord
      7 - Nissan Altima

Vehicles
      Current: Audi S4, Q5 TDI quattro, Porsche Boxster S, Dodge Dakota 4x4
      10-01-2012 02:10 PM #34

Anyways - My own take is Nissan deserves the crown. After starting this article talking about how bread & butter family sedans are so important and deserve notice MT tosses out all of the important metrics and puts focus on simple German interiors and driving dynamics.
      CVT's are polarizing. Honestly, I don't care if the Nissan went 0-60 in 5 seconds flat while getting 40 mpg, I've never driven a CVT in a car that I was interested in living with.

Strange I know, especially since I actually like single speed fixed ratio drivelines in electric cars. Maybe it's the indirect disconnected feeling, I don't know - but I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Quote Originally Posted by eweu View Post
      And here is a pic of the Passat's rear seat

You could drive a tank right through there. It's enormous. That's a huge selling point right there.
      That front seat setting is about where it'd be for a full size adult male too. When my wife drove the Passat, there was even substantially more room than that. Ridiculous really. Useful? I dunno, but I guess it's good for bragging rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Swallow Doretti View Post
      Motor Trend has a hard-on for the Passat that borders on the unhealthy;
      As is the glee you take in the opposite.

Vehicles
      2010 Toyota Prius V, 1996 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4
      10-01-2012 02:14 PM #35
      ^Got rid of the Passat already?

Vehicles
      10-01-2012 02:34 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by VarianceVQ View Post
      ^Got rid of the Passat already?
      Automotive ADD. And no AWD.

Vehicles
      2015 BMW M3
      10-01-2012 02:35 PM #37
      Motor Trend has a hard-on for the Passat that borders on the unhealthy; usually, when something lasts that long, you should consult your physician.
      I guess only rants against VWs get the clean bill of health..

Vehicles
      2015 BMW M3
      10-01-2012 02:36 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by Shomegrown View Post
      Automotive ADD. And no AWD.
      New A3?

Vehicles
      26 of them
      10-01-2012 02:36 PM #39
      My picks:
      Malibu
      Accord
      Passat
      Camry
      Altima
      Optima
      Fusion

Vehicles
      2008 Audi TT VR6, 2011 Volkswagen Touareg TDI, 2002 Ford F-250 SuperCrew V10, 2001 Audi A4 1.8TQM
      10-01-2012 02:37 PM #40
      That front seat setting is about where it'd be for a full size adult male too. When my wife drove the Passat, there was even substantially more room than that. Ridiculous really. Useful? I dunno, but I guess it's good for bragging rights.
      If you're jockeying 3 kids in the back of a family sedan, that amount of room is very welcome. It is useful.

10-01-2012 02:39 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
      Oh well, can't argue with the results although the Passat is much better with the 2.0T.
      Que?

Vehicles
      2008 Mazda 3
      10-01-2012 02:42 PM #42
      I wonder how the 6 would have held up

Too bad GM isn't able to get the recipe right.

18. Swallow Doretti
      10-01-2012 02:44 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by caj1 View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Shomegrown
      Good to see the usual suspects already riled up. You gals must go through Monistat 7 by the caseload considering how often you get your panties in a twist over this.

Vehicles
      10-01-2012 02:46 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by eweu View Post
      If you're jockeying 3 kids in the back of a family sedan, that amount of room is very welcome. It is useful.
      No doubt, I only have one little rugrat so I was speaking more from my perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by caj1 View Post
      New A3?
      Yep, just picked it up last week. We love the sportback so I figured I'd pick one up while it's still around. I wish I could get quattro with the 6-speed manual, but the DSG will have to work.

Vehicles
      2012 GLI
      10-01-2012 02:47 PM #45
      Que?
      Didn't even notice the new Passat is not available with the 2.0T Seems a little dumb though that they only offer the 2.5, 3.6, and TDI. But I'm not a VW exec so what do I know.

10-01-2012 02:50 PM #46
      Yep, just picked it up last week. We love the sportback so I figured I'd pick one up while it's still around. I wish I could get quattro with the 6-speed manual, but the DSG will have to work.
      But now you won't be able to drive 700 miles before a piss break

22. 10-01-2012 02:54 PM #47
      CVT's are polarizing. Honestly, I don't care if the Nissan went 0-60 in 5 seconds flat while getting 40 mpg, I've never driven a CVT in a car that I was interested in living with.

Strange I know, especially since I actually like single speed fixed ratio drivelines in electric cars. Maybe it's the indirect disconnected feeling, I don't know - but I'm not the only one who feels that way.

As is the glee you take in the opposite.
      I agree. I rented the 2011 Altima earlier this year and it was brutal. The suspension was very wobbly and the CVT 4 cyl combination made it one of the worst "new" cars I have driven to date.

Vehicles
      10-01-2012 02:55 PM #48
      Good to see the usual suspects already riled up. You gals must go through Monistat 7 by the caseload considering how often you get your panties in a twist over this.
      That's all you got? You could at least try to entertain us here as the number of ****s given is still = 0.

Vehicles
      10-01-2012 02:58 PM #49
      But now you won't be able to drive 700 miles before a piss break
      No definitely not. I'm sure it won't be my last diesel though.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Wrangler
      10-01-2012 03:01 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by Vision33r View Post
      As always market dollars wins any journalist attention. Why would publishers cover cars that are better in value but not paying them enough advertising fees. It's not cheap to rent offices on Madison Avenue here in NYC.
      Wait, you don't think ALL these companies are advertising heavily in MT or its sister publications?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast