10-01-2012 02:34 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by VarianceVQ View Post
      ^Got rid of the Passat already?
      Automotive ADD. And no AWD.

Vehicles
      2013 BMW 335is
      10-01-2012 02:35 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by Swallow Doretti View Post
      Motor Trend has a hard-on for the Passat that borders on the unhealthy; usually, when something lasts that long, you should consult your physician.
      I guess only rants against VWs get the clean bill of health..

Vehicles
      2013 BMW 335is
      10-01-2012 02:36 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by Shomegrown View Post
      Automotive ADD. And no AWD.
      New A3?

10-01-2012 02:36 PM #39
      My picks:
      Malibu
      Accord
      Passat
      Camry
      Altima
      Optima
      Fusion

Vehicles
      2008 Audi TT VR6, 2011 Volkswagen Touareg TDI, 2002 Ford F-250 SuperCrew V10, 2001 Audi A4 1.8TQM
      10-01-2012 02:37 PM #40
      That front seat setting is about where it'd be for a full size adult male too. When my wife drove the Passat, there was even substantially more room than that. Ridiculous really. Useful? I dunno, but I guess it's good for bragging rights.
      If you're jockeying 3 kids in the back of a family sedan, that amount of room is very welcome. It is useful.

10-01-2012 02:39 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
      Oh well, can't argue with the results although the Passat is much better with the 2.0T.
      Que?

Vehicles
      2008 Mazda 3 GT - True Red
      10-01-2012 02:42 PM #42
      I wonder how the 6 would have held up

Too bad GM isn't able to get the recipe right.

8. Swallow Doretti
      10-01-2012 02:44 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by caj1 View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Shomegrown
      Good to see the usual suspects already riled up. You gals must go through Monistat 7 by the caseload considering how often you get your panties in a twist over this.

Vehicles
      Current: Audi S4, Q5 TDI quattro, Porsche Boxster S, Dodge Dakota 4x4
      10-01-2012 02:46 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by eweu View Post
      If you're jockeying 3 kids in the back of a family sedan, that amount of room is very welcome. It is useful.
      No doubt, I only have one little rugrat so I was speaking more from my perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by caj1 View Post
      New A3?
      Yep, just picked it up last week. We love the sportback so I figured I'd pick one up while it's still around. I wish I could get quattro with the 6-speed manual, but the DSG will have to work.

Vehicles
      2012 GLI
      10-01-2012 02:47 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      Que?
      Didn't even notice the new Passat is not available with the 2.0T Seems a little dumb though that they only offer the 2.5, 3.6, and TDI. But I'm not a VW exec so what do I know.

10-01-2012 02:50 PM #46
      Yep, just picked it up last week. We love the sportback so I figured I'd pick one up while it's still around. I wish I could get quattro with the 6-speed manual, but the DSG will have to work.
      But now you won't be able to drive 700 miles before a piss break

Vehicles
      E90 328i ZSP
      10-01-2012 02:54 PM #47
      CVT's are polarizing. Honestly, I don't care if the Nissan went 0-60 in 5 seconds flat while getting 40 mpg, I've never driven a CVT in a car that I was interested in living with.

Strange I know, especially since I actually like single speed fixed ratio drivelines in electric cars. Maybe it's the indirect disconnected feeling, I don't know - but I'm not the only one who feels that way.

That front seat setting is about where it'd be for a full size adult male too. When my wife drove the Passat, there was even substantially more room than that. Ridiculous really. Useful? I dunno, but I guess it's good for bragging rights.

As is the glee you take in the opposite.
      I agree. I rented the 2011 Altima earlier this year and it was brutal. The suspension was very wobbly and the CVT 4 cyl combination made it one of the worst "new" cars I have driven to date.

Vehicles
      10-01-2012 02:55 PM #48
      Good to see the usual suspects already riled up. You gals must go through Monistat 7 by the caseload considering how often you get your panties in a twist over this.
      That's all you got? You could at least try to entertain us here as the number of ****s given is still = 0.

Vehicles
      10-01-2012 02:58 PM #49
      But now you won't be able to drive 700 miles before a piss break
      No definitely not. I'm sure it won't be my last diesel though.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Wrangler
      10-01-2012 03:01 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by Vision33r View Post
      As always market dollars wins any journalist attention. Why would publishers cover cars that are better in value but not paying them enough advertising fees. It's not cheap to rent offices on Madison Avenue here in NYC.
      Wait, you don't think ALL these companies are advertising heavily in MT or its sister publications?

16. Member
      Vehicles
      08 Passat wagon 2.0T 6MT (current). Past: 02 Golf TDI, Dark Beige 88.5 Camry V6 5MT, AE82 Corolla
      10-01-2012 03:41 PM #51
      as much as I try to like the Altima, I loathe the rear end treatment of the car.

The crooked tail lights kills an otherwise attractive design. There are other cars that have the "crooked tail lights", like the BMW 3-series... but for some reason, it looks horrible on the Altima
      2008 Passat wagon, 2.0T 6MT with mods
      Other Rides:
      - 2013 Cannondale CAADX-6
      - 2010 Specialized Secteur Elite
      - 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29-er

17. 10-01-2012 03:56 PM #52
      I recently drove a Jetta with the same power-train and transmission in the Passat and I was pretty bad IMO. The engine didn't sound good at all and was very lethargic, and the transmission was very slow to shift and almost not knowing which gear to be in. The car felt bigger than it was. It felt very much like the Ford Focus automatic. I can't imagine how much worse this powertrain would be on the much larger Passatt. If this is why MT calls a driver's car they need to get their priorities aligned.

18. Swallow Doretti
      10-01-2012 04:09 PM #53
      That's all you got? You could at least try to entertain us here as the number of ****s given is still = 0.
      To be fair, it's all your worth. And if you didn't give a shit, you wouldn't have bothered to respond. Twice.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jeep Wrangler
      10-01-2012 04:15 PM #54
      I wonder if Malibu's low ranking was due in part to the early bad blood the Eco model established with the press. Once these folks decide they don't like something, it is rare that they change their minds, even if later versions completely address perceived shortcomings. Overall, it's a pity that GM struggles to define the class of vehicle it should understand the most. Where are the folks that made Bel Air a legend, and anything with the Cutlass prefix a perennial best seller? Hell, even the Celebrity was a best seller. I guess it's worth waiting to see how the sales figures turn out, but I think this generation of 'Bu has lost some of the magic of the last. Maybe it's time to bring Lutz back for one more fantastic mid-cycle rethink? Maybe it's time to focus some of that money and talent that's attempting to make Buick Regal into an A4 competitor on just one global mid-sized family sedan?

Vehicles
      10-01-2012 04:16 PM #55
      To be fair, it's all your [sic] worth.
      Are you capable of discussion without getting butthurt and turning things personal?

I don't remember initiating a turn down that road, but have fun with it...

10-01-2012 05:19 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
      So MT does a comparison on all the NEW designs/models of last years top selling sedans

Would have been better to put all the sedans in there. The Subaru, Kia/Hyundai, etc. Considering 90% of the brands put out a new generation in the past few months it would seem only fair.

Oh well, can't argue with the results although the Passat is much better with the 2.0T.

My picks:

1 - Passat
      2 - Mazda 6
      3 - Ford Fusion
      4 - Kia Optima
      5 - Toyota Camry
      6 - Honda Accord
      7 - Nissan Altima
      The rest of the cars you mentioned have probably all been reviewed in previous comparison tests and not placed first. I don't know specifically when, I don't regularly read MT. If they do not come in first, they generally do not invite them back until the next redesign or major update. Sometimes there is also the issue of locating a car.
      2007 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring

10-01-2012 05:44 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by Yo Teach View Post
      The rest of the cars you mentioned have probably all been reviewed in previous comparison tests and not placed first. I don't know specifically when, I don't regularly read MT. If they do not come in first, they generally do not invite them back until the next redesign or major update. Sometimes there is also the issue of locating a car.
      I think sales had to do with it. The article states it is the collection of the biggest sellers compared to the COTD winner. The other 5 cars aside from the Passat still outsell the 6/Legacy/Avenger/Sonata/Optima/Mitsu not worth mentioning.

23. Swallow Doretti
      10-01-2012 05:46 PM #58
      Are you capable of discussion without getting butthurt and turning things personal?

I don't remember initiating a turn down that road, but have fun with it...
      Perhaps you should go five posts up and read what you wrote then. You started in with the personal attacks because I said the Passat isn't the great sedan M/T makes it out to be. And I'm sure you'll continue to beat it to death, mainly because the mods apparently don't ban trolls like you anymore.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      08 Passat wagon 2.0T 6MT (current). Past: 02 Golf TDI, Dark Beige 88.5 Camry V6 5MT, AE82 Corolla
      10-01-2012 05:51 PM #59
      the new Sentra looks really good.... there is some similarities in styling with the Altima.... but Nissan did a better job on the rear of the Sentra than Altima
      2008 Passat wagon, 2.0T 6MT with mods
      Other Rides:
      - 2013 Cannondale CAADX-6
      - 2010 Specialized Secteur Elite
      - 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29-er

Vehicles
      10-01-2012 07:14 PM #60
      Perhaps you should go five posts up and read what you wrote then. You started in with the personal attacks because I said the Passat isn't the great sedan M/T makes it out to be.
      See, and that's where the confusion started.

I commented on your statement, not you. I pointed out the irony, but that may have sailed over your head.

Then remarking that your insults aren't half as snarky as you think they are isn't a personal attack on you. If you can't wrap your head around that, it's no use discussing further.

And I'm sure you'll continue to beat it to death, mainly because the mods apparently don't ban trolls like you anymore.
      Wow.

When did I piss in your Cheerios? It must have been pretty intense. It's just the internet. Take a deep breath and let it go.

Vehicles
      RSX Type-S
      10-01-2012 07:15 PM #61
      1st - Passat SE 2.5 - (MT loves interior and most fun to drive despite worst engine and slowest)
      2nd - Honda Accord EX-L 2.4 - (tied for best power, hates interior, not fun to drive)
      3rd- Ford Fusion SE 1.6 ecoboost (MT loves the turbo, loves the exterior, hates interior & mediocre MPGs)
      4th- Nissan Altima SV 2.5 (best MPGs tied for best power, MT still doesn't like the CVT)
      5th- Toyota Camry XLE 2.5 (MT hated the interior)
      6th - Chevy Malibu 2.5 LTZ (Shame on GM)

Anyways - My own take is Nissan deserves the crown. After starting this article talking about how bread & butter family sedans are so important and deserve notice MT tosses out all of the important metrics and puts focus on simple German interiors and driving dynamics.

Passat is the clear fun to drive German car, Altima is the best family car IMHO
      I have to agree, especially after reading the article. Despite not liking the CVT, they also praised and really liked the Altima's ride and handling. It was the quickest and got the best MPGs. They loved the interior and said it had the best mix of gadgets/technology and user-friendliness (hi Ford).

Beyond the CVT, they only knocked it for the seat color (really?) and not having as much rear headroom. I think it deserved higher than 4th at the very least.
      Last edited by InfinitiG; 10-01-2012 at 07:36 PM.
      PSN: Silviatzero
      "I've got an idea for sweat shops: air conditioning! Problem solved."
      RSX-S

Vehicles
      RSX Type-S
      10-01-2012 07:30 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by Egz View Post
      Those are only with MFT, which is an option on most trims, and only standard on the top of the line trims. The car in the test did not have it.
      Yeah, and Motortrend hated the non-MFT interior in this test.
      RSX-S

10-01-2012 07:39 PM #63
      Having driven the Accord Sport, I disagree. I loved that car. Too bad it's not available in a wagon.

Vehicles
      13 Optima, 10 GT-R
      10-01-2012 07:39 PM #64
      I've yet to see an Optima SX in a comparison.

I know, I know, most people don't buy the top trim level. But just saying. I was actually looking forward to it in this group.
      Quote Originally Posted by teklord69 View Post
      Scenario: Uphill on two lane hwy. You need to pass and overtake a slower vehicle. That 151 torque won't let you. You will hit an oncoming car the opposite side if you do.

Vehicles
      2009 Si sedan and 2012 Crosstour 4WD
      10-01-2012 08:26 PM #65
      2nd - Honda Accord EX-L 2.4 - (tied for best power, hates interior, not fun to drive)
      How did you arrive at this interpretation?

Here's the article's actual text:

Quote Originally Posted by MT Article
      For one thing, this is a conspicuously spacious sedan, with a truly palatial back seat and unparalleled airiness all around. "Very roomy," writes Martinez. "Most of the materials have an Acura-quality feel; well above the cheap plastics in the Chevy and the Ford." The seats are splendid, with a richness and plushness rare for this class. Climb aboard, and right away you know you're riding in something special.

The powertrain continues that sensation. The 2.4-liter four and CVT deliver tied-for-best acceleration, fine observed fuel efficiency (we recorded 25.8 mpg), and smooth, refined manners. "Nice linear powerband without any dead spots," writes Febbo. "Best CVT on the market," adds Evans. "You can only tell it's a CVT when it hangs at an rpm for a few seconds. Feels like a regular automatic and makes the Accord feel quick." Ride quality is top-notch, though communication with the road is minimal. Still, such a relaxed demeanor is probably what many buyers want. Though not the quietest car in our test, this is easily the quietest Accord ever -- a huge step forward for Honda.

The new dual touch screen's center stack borders on overly complex ("Just give me my buttons back," writes Evans). And some of the pieces look chintzy. Febbo: "The smaller touch screen and shifter have a rainbow-glitter black that looks like it was stolen from a bass boat." Those few bits look out of place in an otherwise premium cabin.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz2863SqoIN

Vehicles
      RSX Type-S
      10-01-2012 08:51 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by P-Body View Post
      I've yet to see an Optima SX in a comparison.

I know, I know, most people don't buy the top trim level. But just saying. I was actually looking forward to it in this group.
      Isn't the limited the top trim for the Optima? These new top trim levels (limited, Titanium etc) are basically entry level luxury sedans.
      RSX-S

Vehicles
      13 Optima, 10 GT-R
      10-01-2012 09:08 PM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by InfinitiG View Post
      Isn't the limited the top trim for the Optima? These new top trim levels (limited, Titanium etc) are basically entry level luxury sedans.
      Having seen an SX-L, I pretend it doesn't exist.
      Quote Originally Posted by teklord69 View Post
      Scenario: Uphill on two lane hwy. You need to pass and overtake a slower vehicle. That 151 torque won't let you. You will hit an oncoming car the opposite side if you do.

33. 10-01-2012 09:28 PM #68
      It is the revenge of the NA engines. The 1.6 Ecotoy looks really pathetic. It does nothing that NA engines won't do better. Would be even worse if it was automatic.
      2007 E90 AW 323i Step | Lowered 1.25"/1" | BMW Performance Exhaust | Debadged | Scangauge II | Style 162 18" & 161 17" wheels & rear 15mm spacers

10-01-2012 09:35 PM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
      It is the revenge of the NA engines. The 1.6 Ecotoy looks really pathetic. It does nothing that NA engines won't do better. Would be even worse if it was automatic.
      You recycle your own posts more often than Two and a Half Men recycles plots.
      2007 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring

35. 10-01-2012 09:39 PM #70
      You recycle your own posts more often than Two and a Half Men recycles plots.
      Well, 2012 facts still keep proving me right.
      2007 E90 AW 323i Step | Lowered 1.25"/1" | BMW Performance Exhaust | Debadged | Scangauge II | Style 162 18" & 161 17" wheels & rear 15mm spacers

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast